Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 16:01   #331
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I would like to know Allans comment on this .

What do you want say Allan ?

Sudarshan
( forgive me O lords ,I am just a cook )
sir jee,
in my previous posts you'l notice that im not a fan of ifs
but nothings impossible, it just has a price attached to it
maybe this car will surprise us, i think it will and i will be happiest if it does
so maybe we will just have to wait and watch
hopfully ill have that priveladge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

@ Allan , Dont take my comments seriously ,I dont have your exposure do I ? I hope you must have driven the Thar , please give some honest comment & yes I compared Thar with defender which was stock & I have few memories of that ride ( I am not comparing Thar with 'that V8 ' )
BTW what exactly made you laugh ?

Sudarshan ( less JEE )
Sir,
i have never driven a v8 defender 90 till date
my favorite offroading vehicle in the entire world is the defender 90 so for you to compare that to thar was a bit of a shock. its not come up so far.
the defender 90's that i have driver were either the 2.5 or fitted with 14b
and yes i have driven the thar
comparing the thar and the defender 90 with a 2.5
on road comfort ill still rate the defender 90 much higher
only thing where the thar would win for me would be in top speed

off the road
the 90 has
Solid Axle Coil Spring in the front and FFRA Coil Spring
the defender in stock would do everything the thar would do and more

maybe on some crazzy straight long inclines like in palar she'd have an dis advantage cause of some lack of grunt(man those inclines were scary)

modded theres just no comparision, no for now atleast

the thar is a great vehicle minus the poor quality body
but to compare it to my favorite offroader,is something i wont digest too easily

Last edited by xtreme power : 8th January 2011 at 16:03.
Old 8th January 2011, 16:01   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
WOW...Brilliant Review

I can speak from experience on this one. I own the 1st Thar bought in KZN , South Africa
I belong to the KZN Branch of the South African 4x4 CLUB and we have been on some real tough and testing outings.
I can say with boldness, that my THAR 4x4 did not faulter, it followed and in some cases lead the way .
One my Facebook group ' SA 4X4 FUN' I show its ability in the snow at about 3000 meters above sea level. With the plain road tyres I climed some serious inclines. The one incline found myself in my Mahindra Thar, a wrangler at the top. A hilux 4x4 battled to get up there and a Fortuner stayed at the bottom...could not , no matter how much he tried...could not get up to where we were.
Regarding the finishes on interior....rough but hey...no problem...this is a off-road beast and I have proved that! I am not concerned with the CITY SLICKER trimmings...please.
My only concern here in SA , was the fact I had to purchase the 'Cargo Cover' over and above the price of the vehicle. I thought all was well until rain arrived...what a joke...leaked like crazy. When I drove it flapped dangerously and made so much noise it hurt my ears. On one occassion a steel bar installed by the softop installer, came loose and hit me on the back of the head whilst I was driving. NO JOKE.I thought this was a tried and tested soft-top...no way. I paid R6000 for the cover, which I was later told was just for transporting from India to SA...or for basic cargo covering!!!! I then was encouraged to go for the locally made HARDTOP...paid R12000 for that. The Hard-top is great...well made by Puma Canopies...BUT the fools who fitted it...shooo...they drilled flipping 8mm diameter holes through my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i am mad about this...honestly!! They left the shavings everywhere...left the burr slicking up,,,super sharp!! ...I have kids and overseas guest who travel often on short Safari's.
To add to this...now that the HARD-TOP is installed....I can no longer ever use the basic Cargo cover!!! as all the rope guides etc were removed so that the hard top could fit.

Please don't get me wrong here...This is not MAHINDRA..in my opinion....This is a sales thing ...
I have questions
1) Why was I sold a cargo cover at a ridiculios price??? I see such nice soft-tops on the MM50's in India
2) Why were the proper soft-tops , ones that work, not sent with the Vehicles?

Despite these small issues, I still say the MAHINDRA THAR 4X4 is the greatest

BEST BUY
Hello,

The Soft Top cover comes standard with the car here, and I think it should be standard with the South Africa Thar too. Will have to ask Dad and confirm though. Will do so soon.

Glad to know your happy experiences with the Thar.

Now we have someone who has owned one for a considerable amount of time vouching for it. But you guys will still have niggly concerns about it.....

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 8th January 2011 at 16:11.
Old 8th January 2011, 16:04   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Like wise I feel Thar is an overpriced product especially with those cheap interiors. Only time will tell.

Only difference is i would love to fight the case, if it will help improve Thar and give it a slightly longer shelf life in our very conservative indian market.

I dont think any manufacturer is bold enough to take a plunge and introduce a so called niche product like Thar, like M&M did.

Reason why Jimny is still a dream.
Jaggu...Here in my Country the Thar is considered cheap. If we had to purchase other 4x4 of similar design/shape/ability we are looking at double the price. So for the price...I am very happy. Internal finish is good enough for what the vehicle is designed for...Fun 4x4 for roughing it...
Old 8th January 2011, 16:19   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu...Here in my Country the Thar is considered cheap. If we had to purchase other 4x4 of similar design/shape/ability we are looking at double the price. So for the price...I am very happy. Internal finish is good enough for what the vehicle is designed for...Fun 4x4 for roughing it...
speedy now you can smile
Old 8th January 2011, 16:28   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
[QUOTE
@Greatmana2000: All Jeeps are cars theoretically or on paper...

I thought jeeps and cars had different real world usages . Especially something with a 4wheel drive and different gear ratios . According to the theory , even tractors can be classifed as cars then .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
@Greatmana2000: All Jeeps are cars theoretically or on paper...
You are missing a point here bro...all Jeeps are classified as cars for documentation purpose. The reason why they are called Jeep is the lineage or the pedigree of this genre of vehicles was started by an american company called Jeep. Jeep never made tractors as far as I know so you could safely exclude them
Old 8th January 2011, 16:34   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Hello,

The Soft Top cover comes standard with the car here, and I think it should be standard with the South Africa Thar too. Will have to ask Dad and confirm though. Will do so soon.

Glad to know your happy experiences with the Thar.

Now we have someone who has owned one for a considerable amount of time vouching for it. But you guys will still have niggly concerns about it.....
Cyrus...Thank you for your response...nice to know Mahindra Top Management actually do care. I am so confident of the THAR...I led a group of about 8 experienced 4x4's through the Gwahumbe 4x4 routes...I led....they followed...well some tried...I posted pics etc a while ago on the Mahindra link at SA 4x4 Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin . Honestly this vehicle outperformed many other major name brands. I went up HECTIC STEEP INCLINES on a washed away bushroad, full of rocks and deep wash aways. I got to the top...shocked at my Baby's amazing ability...I got out and videod Vehicle after vehicle...attempt and re-attempt the route I had just cruized up. I have done it...I have seen and videod it...some clips I did not put up, as I did not want to offend or make the drivers feel bad.
Basically...the THAR is brilliant! I have done the ROOF OF AFRICA in the rain.....its a famous rally root...I was not in competition...just drove the route in another 4x4...and I can say my THAR , which is proving more capable due to its short wheel base, would have cruised through. enough said

@Samurai vbmenu_register("postmenu_2202115", true); ....the Cargo cover, which was a total waste of time and money, that my dealership sold to me...can be seen in the Original launch You Tube video at about 5mins or so...a picture of a Thar stationary on a small incline. That is my baby here in SA at a quarry nearby. The cargo cover kept the sun out...ha ha ha
I will post pics of the Hardtop which is very well made, but that was installed / fitted by a bunch of fools....I stopped them...will do a better job myself....when I get finances.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th January 2011 at 21:19.
Old 8th January 2011, 16:49   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You are missing a point here bro...all Jeeps are classified as cars for documentation purpose. The reason why they are called Jeep is the lineage or the pedigree of this genre of vehicles was started by an american company called Jeep. Jeep never made tractors as far as I know so you could safely exclude them

Hell no , i did not miss anything . I am talking with respect to the Thar for usage as an offroad vehicle and a car which is used for on road .

Quote:

For double the price .. dont you get a wholesome product ? In terms of build quality , features ? I do not think any other manufacturer has a ladder on wheels for the sake of cutting costs .

Last edited by Eddy : 8th January 2011 at 20:48. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:12   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Sir,

Have you used a M&M Vehicle with IFS off-road?

I have seen and used to know what I am saying.
I have seen the Thar perform for the review conducted by Tejas and KhanSultan. I believe you had gotten stuck with the Thar also for an event.

Quote:
You can definitely modify the IFS provided,
i) Longer Upper Arms?
ii) Longer Lower Arms?
iii) Longer Trans-Axles?
iv) Longer Drag-Links?
v) Heavier Torsion Bar

Basically Re-Engineer the Front End. I'm not that skilled.
Sir,

This is what i wanted to read. It is possible.

Quote:
While your idea of modification maybe a Roll-Bar or Rock-Slider, I prefer a Stronger Axle, Sturdier Steering, and Maximum Traction.
Sir, i do not intend to make it a show car only. This car would also perform as good as she looks.

Quote:
My Congratulations to your on becoming the Exception, to the Rule
Thank you Sir,

You have the will nothing is immpossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
speedy now you can smile
I did not have a frown in the first place brother . I find it in the same league as buying a new gypsy, not expensive atall. A new Gypsy also comes to 6 something on road Bombay. The added bonus i get with the Thar is more interior space and a diesel engine. I never expected it to be a Rolls Royce in the first place. So i am happy with my purchase.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:52   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
eagle888, can you please post the photos of your soft top and hard top here?
I have a fairly good shot of the Hard top....well made...was priced at R8000 and then suddenly went to R12000 when I had to sign for it !!!

Well made...very professional finish etc...but WOW....what a let down from the fools who attempted to install it...as I said...drilling diamenter 8mm frigging HOLES right through my THAR body....
Wish I had money I would fight them for a NEW VEHICLE because they have damaged it permanently...the holes and others from the 'R6000 Cargo Cover' are rusting ...I mean my baby is 9 months old man !!

And the other pic, used in the official Thar launch in India....shows miserable cargo cover...all R6000 worth!! It leaked so badly my baby was drentched...water entered the glove compartment damaging my original THAR Manual...rain socked through the entire dashboard...the seats and carpets etc...I don't want to think about it...makes me MAD!

I have no issue with MAHINDRA....I love this Vehicle...but shooooo. I am so so so sad about how these LOCAL fools STUFFED my baby up. SAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
For double the price .. dont you get a wholesome product ? In terms of build quality , features ? I do not think any other manufacturer has a ladder on wheels for the sake of cutting costs .

For double the price I get a very smart polished vehicle that I would be scared to scratch....and through around off-road. I have seen this on a recent Umgeni river valley run we did...the expensive Toys stood and watched...what fun is that...They were too scared to knock/scrtach or bump. They also know how expensive the parts are afterwards if damage is done

Me in my THAR!!...we go anywhere and everywhere...we make roads where there seems no road...

Parts and servicing are affordable...

Included I get the BEST DIESEL ENGINE available...and the best 5 speed 4x4 gearbox...and a 2nd World War Military vehicle....pressed off the 1950's press tools that were used under agreement from JEEP.

I am a happy customer...just a few small 'UNPROFESSIONAL PEOPLE' who bug me locally

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-hard-top-mahindra-thar-made-south-africa-puma-canopies.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-pic-thar-used-thar-launch-india.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2011 at 20:50.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:17   #340
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rolling Chassis

Quote:
Then comes the Universal question of should I lock up the Front or Not.

In an IFS the Axles Shaft are allowed to move about a bit, to allow for Suspension Travel, if you lock it, when you Lock it. What will happen to the CV Joint.So I prefer to leave alone.
the axial movement of the joint should not be affected as long as the CV angles are within prescribed range.
There are several cases where locking diff is used with IRS.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th January 2011 at 18:27.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:25   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

the Maximo has better interiors

Had a look at the Thar today, at India Garage. The interiors on the Maximo are much better than what the Thar has. The Thar has not been rid of basic things like that nylon straps that limit door travel. The pads on the doors, the dash, the window winder .. just so many things to list.

The two things that are in favor are the 2.2 CR motor, and the 4x4.

Khan saab & Doc, excellent review. Thanks !
Old 8th January 2011, 18:42   #342
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rolling Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
the axial movement of the joint should not be affected as long as the CV angles are within prescribed range.
There are several cases where locking diff is used with IRS.
Hi Mpower,

The Effect of The Steering Knuckle, the Lateral Movement of the Axles is reduced thereby increasing the strain on the CV Joints and the effect of the Diff-Lock/LSD on the Steering Components.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th January 2011, 20:45   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Warm welcome eagle888. Glad to know that you are happy with the pricing of Thar in SA. Like the hood paint job you have done, that silver one is yours right?

I have been following Thar thread in .za forum for quite sometime now. In a country where you can buy a Jimny for the same price you call it cheap?? Vehicle which does not offer even AC, forget hard top and rear bench. Ill admit that Jeep and other full bred offroaders are quite expensive there, but even they are available at similar prize in used market right?

Yes, joy of having a superb Crde engined vehicle fresh from factory is quite different matter.

So
Old 8th January 2011, 21:12   #344
BHPian

Hi Guys, Congratulations on one of the most comprehensive test reports I have ever read! Apart from the points mentioned in the road test, I have two grouses insofar as the aesthetics of the Thar are concerned, viz, the rear wheel-track being 99mm lesser than the front and the (too-tall)windscreen/doors/B-pillar being too vertical (unlike the Gypsy/CJ7). I have attached a picture with comparisons if these two changes were incorporated in the Thar. Regards, Bopanna
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-comparison.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 21:23   #345
Senior - BHPian

I have been closely following all things related to Thar on t-Bhp ever since it started, 'cause I am really interested in getting one, when the time comes. The Thar is still underdone, for me, but for different reasons, not the fit an finish.

Arka, I don't know why you don't appreciate that Thar Crde has IFS, as good road manners at high speed(+comfort factor) probably makes it default for it. Where is the need to modify IFS? The person who appreciates for what it is - i.e a fast highway cruiser which can also do lots of things off-road, while not being the holy grail, will be happy with it's 90% off-road capability. For the hardcore offroaders, you have the Mdi, which delivers a new reliable platform which you can work on to customize for your tastes. A modified version of Mdi should surely be better(and reliable, not to speak of serviceability) than buying an ex-army MM550 and then changing every nut and bolt? I have read through almost every Jeep restoration thread out there and I am pretty sure most guys have spent close to what an Mdi would cost on-road and still faced lots of issues and then some.

After reading the comments, it just set me thinking - Would the junta have been happier, if the Thar would not have been launched in India at all, because the bean-counters at M&M refused to budge and release Thar at a more customer friendly price? Some enthusiastic individuals at MM worked to get this product out to you, albeit by cutting some corners, as else it might have been a stillborn?

The product is out there in the market, this is the only way it could have come out, as it is evident from Spike's posts. Let's appreciate that fact, and believe in Mr Behram's comments that M&M is committed to this product and he will continue working on it, delivering what the customers(whoever puts money down for Thar) want.

The first hurdle has been surpassed, now the market dynamics will dictate the future course. I, for one, am keeping my fingers crossed, in the hope that Thar V1 at least sells decent numbers, so that M&M does not have to shelve it.

Personally, I concur with GTO's opinion that it is not overpriced, after all, every company is in this game to make money. The only gripe is that dealers are going to overcharge for a/c fitment and any work done outside will effectively throw out all future warranty claims. M&M needs to be very clear on what will be honored under warranty for an off-road vehicle, this is going to be a sore point in future for anyone buying the Thar and then something conking of, but not out of abuse. Would be hard to prove.

Disclaimer:- I have not done any offroading yet, at least not as a driver on a four-wheeler.

Most Viewed