Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 11:39   #3556
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Drive the mountains and the valleys in your Grey Thar Dhabhar Behram and smile down at the world below. This forum is indebted to you. May you Rest In Peace
Jayant06 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 11:41   #3557
BHPian

Other 2 problems I have noticed are as below:

1. The clear vinyl window on the back tends to cloud up. I tried cleaning it but no help. The clouding is typical: Only in the area where it is exposed to Sun. The 2 straps that lay on left and right have a clear area beneath it. Seems it is due to sun rays. Will try using a Glass Cleaner.
2. The stock windows are not anti-glare. So at night, it becomes difficult and dangerous on the highways, due to glares coming in from the side windows. You see interior reflection instead of the outside till your vehicle moves out of the glare.
Old 10th August 2016, 23:09   #3558
BHPian

I suppose some anti glare coating could be done on the windows. I have faced some scary situations due to the window glare.
Old 11th August 2016, 07:42   #3559

Seen some DIY clips on youtube which suggest application of shaving foam to prevent clouding. You could try. Apply, buff, relax.
Old 11th August 2016, 13:48   #3560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Wanted to share the update on water leak issues as many people seem to have same issues with the 2015 face-lifted Thar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I have a 2011 Thar, the original soft top leaked like a seive from day one from most stich points. I have a half cabin top I made locally which is far superior.
Hi All, I am looking to replace my softop with a new one - A firecracker last Diwali landed on top on my jeep and left a hole which now leaks.

Reading all the feedback above - probably it does not make sense to order a New one from Mahindra - it seems to have become much worse

Does anyone know of a good Jeep Soft Top maker in Bangalore and what kind of material should one go for?

And if someone has got a soft top for sale (Straight Box type rear end) - PM me - I am looking to buy for the right price.

Thanks
Carrot

Last edited by carrot_eater : 11th August 2016 at 13:48. Reason: Grammar
Old 11th August 2016, 18:10   #3561
KMT
BHPian

Coorg is a rainy place full of jeeps.
There are several upholsters here who make soft tops.
Price is between 6.5-8.5k for single skin, add another couple of grand for double skin.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 22:26   #3562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Does anyone know of a good Jeep Soft Top maker in Bangalore and what kind of material should one go for?

And if someone has got a soft top for sale (Straight Box type rear end) - PM me - I am looking to buy for the right price.
A friend got his Thar Di top replaced with exact CRDe look alike soft top for around ~8.5 k brand new. Place is Thaliparamba. If you want I can talk to him.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 23:03   #3563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A friend got his Thar Di top replaced with exact CRDe look alike soft top for around ~8.5 k brand new. Place is Thaliparamba. If you want I can talk to him.
It will be of tremendous help if you could PM me the details. Thank you.
Old 12th August 2016, 09:40   #3564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
It will be of tremendous help if you could PM me the details. Thank you.
I believe the Thar CRDe and Di soft top frame is the same. If thats the case, I'll ask him to stitch one, and send it to you. Let me talk to him and get back to you.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 17:49   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Thar CRDe and Di soft top frame is the same. If thats the case, I'll ask him to stitch one, and send it to you. Let me talk to him and get back to you.
I had used my Thar CRDe's original soft-top on my old 540, it is an almost perfect fit (very slight modifications were required)

My suggestion is go with the original soft-top of the old Thar, none can match that classic shape! Though it is expensive (around 20k), it'll help retain the original look of a Jeep.

OT, there has been a lot of debate on the soft-top leakage in the refreshed Thar (and its immediate predecessor).

I do not know how many of you have noticed, but the rear of the 540/old Thar or any of the old Mahindra Jeeps for that matter is not absolutely vertical, it is slightly inclined towards the rear.
This angle keeps the soft-top stretched and forces rain-water to the edges to run down the sides.
The design (or rather it's execution) is by no means fool-proof (read: absolutely water-tight).
However, it is fairly efficient in draining water fast and not allowing water to linger around the top or leading to the stitches!

In heavy downpours, even the old soft-top leakes, this is because once the fabric is soaked, the water finds it easier to seep through rather than flow over!

Now coming to the 'new' sloped design, the inherent nature of the design prevents the roof from being taut. So, instead of the rainwater gushing to the edges, water remains on the top causing the material to soak. Once the fabric is soaked, water will seep through, run-along the stitches, etc.

So my simple recommendation, buy the original Mahindra soft-top for the old Thar, and before installing, stick a layer of rexine (stretched across the entire top edges) using Fevicol SR. Unless there is a deluge, there is very little likelihood of water seeping through either the material or the stitches!

Cheers!
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 19:37   #3566
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a Thar Di, running on Thar CRDe look alike Soft Top. Fits like a glove! The material is infact better than OE, and even better is you can customise.

@carrot eater, apparently, if you want he can take measurements, stitch and send it to you. But, the top would be heavy and sending it over would cost a bit, and the fitment might not be as perfect as he fits it for you. He needs one day to stitch. So, would recommend to drive down if possible.

Or if you can fit the top from Bangalore, I can get it sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-3.jpg  

dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 18:31   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Poddy - Thar CRDe uses NGT530R manual transmission coupled to a Borg Warner transfer case (chain drive). This arrangement is essentially same as Scorpio 4WD but Scorpio transfer case uses electrical actuation by a switch whereas Thar transfer case uses manual actuation by a lever. Thar DI 2WD uses NGT520 manual transmission. Thar DI 4WD uses NGT520 manual transmission coupled to a T18 transfer case (gear drive). This transfer case is also mechanically actuated by a lever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr Behram Dhabhar,
Thank you for the most amazing 4X4 I have ever owned. The THAR I bought in April 2010 here in South Africa has been very reliable mechanically. I have 1 small question. My Thar is 6 yrs old now, and when I put it in reverse and drive , I get a slight chain slapping sound. Is there an adjustment on the side of that Borg Warner gearbox to take up the slack , to stop that chain slapping sound I am getting ? Not major issue at all, just concerned it gets worse . Thank you in advance Sir
Old 15th August 2016, 18:35   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Dear Mr Behram Dhabhar,
Thank you for the most amazing 4X4 I have ever owned. The THAR I bought in April 2010 here in South Africa has been very reliable mechanically. I have 1 small question. My Thar is 6 yrs old now, and when I put it in reverse and drive , I get a slight chain slapping sound. Is there an adjustment on the side of that Borg Warner gearbox to take up the slack , to stop that chain slapping sound I am getting ? Not major issue at all, just concerned it gets worse . Thank you in advance Sir
Dear eagle888, I think you haven't got the sad news yet. Our dear Behram Sir has gone to off-road with the gods.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...m-dhabhar.html
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 00:38   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Dear eagle888, I think you haven't got the sad news...
Can't resist to mention that how used to we had been in throwing any questions on the THAR, knowing that sooner or later someone specific would in all probability be answering that for sure when he gets time. It will take some time to accept the fact that those replies won't be there any more.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:40   #3570
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a Thar Di, running on Thar CRDe look alike Soft Top. Fits like a glove! The material is infact better than OE, and even better is you can customise.

@carrot eater, apparently, if you want he can take measurements, stitch and send it to you. But, the top would be heavy and sending it over would cost a bit, and the fitment might not be as perfect as he fits it for you. He needs one day to stitch. So, would recommend to drive down if possible.

Or if you can fit the top from Bangalore, I can get it sent.
Thanks a ton for the response - If you could send more details - Phone number or something - I will get in touch with the person.

Most Viewed