Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2018, 22:44   #3706
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Right side picture

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150153__01.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150123__01.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150237__01.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150211__01.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150202__01.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img_20181223_150229__01.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 23rd December 2018 at 23:08.
bmr_ind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 07:36   #3707
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 57,417
Thanked: 161,206 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Us Mods just spent a long weekend in Goa to celebrate Team-BHP's 15th! Part of our holiday garage was a rented Thar.

LOVED IT! I spent maximum time in the Thar only. What a beautiful Jeep. After my Classic, it feels like a Rolls Royce. Good space up front, liveable ride quality, nice engine, air-con, power steering. Even though ours was a fairly abused 40,000 km rental, it left me smiling.

Weirdly though, when I asked the group who else loved the Thar, no one put their hand up!!!! Offroader Khan_Sultan said he'd buy the Gurkha over it and Bblost says he liked the Thar, but its too impractical:
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-20190216-11.57.31.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-20190216-15.52.10.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img20190217wa0021.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 10:07   #3708
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 747
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
LOVED IT! I spent maximum time in the Thar only.
Weirdly though, when I asked the group who else loved the Thar, no one put their hand up!!!!
Thar is enjoyed that most by the person who is driving it and not the people riding in it - With you at the driver seat maximum time, no body got a chance to drive a stock beauty and hence no one put their hand up for the love quotient.
KkVaidya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 11:30   #3709
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 57,417
Thanked: 161,206 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Thar is enjoyed that most by the person who is driving it and not the people riding in it
Haha! Good point. However, at least 6 other Mods drove it in Goa, while a total of ~10 have driven the Thar otherwise. Khan_Sultan has even offroaded in one.

But except me, no one really loved it .
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 12:30   #3710
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 4,197
Thanked: 6,848 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

All old jeep owners will love how it feels car like. Car owners will hate it!

Like me, I loved how easy it was on the highway after driving the classic and mm550.

So getting to the offroad location is a breeze, BUT, for the offroad bit, I still prefer the old school jeeps!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 20:42   #3711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BLR/Shimoga
Posts: 107
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Dear Tharians,

During the last deepavali, one of the rockets had put a hole in my thar soft top, about half an inch in circumference.

One of the solutions suggested was to use araldite and patch it with same soft top material.

Has anyone tried it? Need expert advice pls.

Regards,
Sandeep
aithalsandy is offline  
Old 23rd February 2019, 20:44   #3712
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,952
Thanked: 1,582 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

I'd suggest contacting a Tent vendor and getting it repaired by them instead of a DIY. They have the correct materials and technique for similar issues.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 22:48   #3713
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BLR/Shimoga
Posts: 107
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Dear Tharians,

During the last deepavali, one of the rockets had put a hole in my thar soft top, about half an inch in circumference.

One of the solutions suggested was to use araldite and patch it with same soft top material.

Has anyone tried it? Need expert advice pls.

Regards,
Sandeep
All - I managed to do a hack for the hole in canopy.

Materials used:
1. A piece of discarded canopy (shout-out to Prasad, service manager at Sireesh) - Free
2. Araldite - Rs50 (only a part is used)

After some asking around managed to locate guys who patch rickshaw tops in Jayanagar (near 4th T block BP gas bunk).

The guy stitched a piece of canopy (2 inch diameter) as a 1st layer and superimposed by gluing another piece (3 inch diameter) using araldite. He also asked me not to come back to him if the glued part comes off but should go to cobler. According to him, cobler glue is stronger than araldite. The guy took Rs100, I thought it's worth Rs 50 only, but was in no mood to bargain.

Let's see if this Rs100 hack holds.

People cautioned me not to use fevikwik which was my first reaction. Not sure why that's a bad idea.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 20:30   #3714
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Few upgrades for my THAR



Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-incollage_20190501_115645257.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-incollage_20190501_115915540.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img20190517wa0052.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review-img20190517wa0056.jpeg
bmr_ind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 07:37   #3715
BHPian
 
TaurusAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai - MH 01
Posts: 578
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Is it wise to pick up a 2012 model Thar in Mumbai now ? Worried about registration validity for 10 years or more diesel engines. Sooner or later Maharashtra may follow the Delhi-NCR trend of banning 10+ year olds.
TaurusAl is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:13   #3716
BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 740
Thanked: 1,430 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Need some help Dear Jeepers , What is your opinion on replacing stock headlamp (clear lens) with Hella`s non clear lens type? I found this on Amazon, i`m not sure how the headlamp leveling mechanism will work along with this unit.



Expected result is a bit wider low beam and I like the looks of fluted lens headlamps.
Kosfactor is online now  
Old 4th October 2019, 18:20   #3717
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Mahindra Thar CRDE 4x4 - Service Manual and Wiring Diagram

Gentlemen, I am current redoing a lot of wiring ruined by the previous owner in my Mahindra Thar, which is a 2014 CRDE 4x4.

Dashboard light for the handbrake as well as 4WD and low ratio lights are what I am trying to get to work now.

Would anyone have access to a Service Manual or at least the wiring diagram for this vehicle.?

Searched the site without much luck, hence reaching out.
speedcrazy is offline  
Old 8th October 2019, 13:52   #3718
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 747
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar CRDE 4x4 - Service Manual and Wiring Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Need some help Dear Jeepers , What is your opinion on replacing stock headlamp (clear lens) with Hella`s non clear lens type? I found this on Amazon, i`m not sure how the headlamp leveling mechanism will work along with this unit.



Expected result is a bit wider low beam and I like the looks of fluted lens headlamps.
Hella H4 is good but i did not like the fall of low beam - too close. Try Cibie lamps. They are difficult to source but you can try on Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy View Post
Gentlemen, I am current redoing a lot of wiring ruined by the previous owner in my Mahindra Thar, which is a 2014 CRDE 4x4.

Dashboard light for the handbrake as well as 4WD and low ratio lights are what I am trying to get to work now.

Would anyone have access to a Service Manual or at least the wiring diagram for this vehicle.?

Searched the site without much luck, hence reaching out.
The handbrake light button is just below the lever. Remove the caonpy surrounding the lever and you will see it. The 4WD and low ratio lights are not activated in 2014 model. They were only for export version hence they will not work in ours.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:39   #3719
Newbie
 
KA09_BIKER_GPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mysore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Hi all, I have a 2015 Thar CRDe which has clocked 45000kms. I just came back from a 4x4 event where my Thar pulled out 2-3 Jeeps. I always take care not to stress the vehicle too much during recovery. Much of the recovery was done on 4L and 2nd gear. No towing.

Post the event I had to travel back home. Initial drive up to an hour was fine. The moment I encountered steep inclines in the ghats 3rd gear started to make loud whining noise. The whining was directly propositional to vehicle speed. Initially I suspected low GB oil so I put my Thar into 2nd gear and drove slowly. However there was no sound. When I switched back to 3rd the whining sound came back. One section of the ghat had flat roads for few kms. I switched back to 3rd gear and this time there was no sound. After a while I encountered some more inclines where I had to shift between 2nd and 3rd. This time, 3rd gear started to make whining noise again. Once the ghat section was over I drove almost 120kms on declines and flat roads and there was absolutely no noise at all.

The problem cropped up only on 3rd gear and on inclines. What could be the issue ? I am yet to check thee GB oil level.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline  
Old 12th November 2019, 20:11   #3720
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 144
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
Hi all, I have a 2015 Thar CRDe which has clocked 45000kms. I just came back from a 4x4 event where my Thar pulled out 2-3 Jeeps. I always take care not to stress the vehicle too much during recovery. Much of the recovery was done on 4L and 2nd gear. No towing.

Post the event I had to travel back home. Initial drive up to an hour was fine. The moment I encountered steep inclines in the ghats 3rd gear started to make loud whining noise. The whining was directly propositional to vehicle speed. Initially I suspected low GB oil so I put my Thar into 2nd gear and drove slowly. However there was no sound. When I switched back to 3rd the whining sound came back. One section of the ghat had flat roads for few kms. I switched back to 3rd gear and this time there was no sound. After a while I encountered some more inclines where I had to shift between 2nd and 3rd. This time, 3rd gear started to make whining noise again. Once the ghat section was over I drove almost 120kms on declines and flat roads and there was absolutely no noise at all.

The problem cropped up only on 3rd gear and on inclines. What could be the issue ? I am yet to check thee GB oil level.
I would suggest you to get the gear and differential oil replaced. That is what ASC suggests if your Thar has gone in slush or water above a certain level.
abhikb is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks