Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 11:20   #361
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I definitely hope not. I sincerely hope they just revert to the old MM540 style instrument cluster on a metal plate (?) like the old days.
A Metal plate will be lethal on your knees in the case of even a minor accident. That is why no modern cars have metal dashboards. But you are right, it does look much better. Maybe a plastic 'plate' with metal paint/finish might be a good idea.

And a flat rectangular plastic strip would not cost much in terms of R&D/mould-making either!

Last edited by Xinger : 9th January 2011 at 11:34.
Old 9th January 2011, 11:52   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
This is to All those "prospective" buyers for the "prospective" jimny. Would you take your brand new car and go extreme offroading with it? Really?? And still not be worried about it getting Scratch/dented/bumped/grinded etc etc etc
Yes, really. I did it with a brand new 17L worth Grand Vitara, which was less than a week old.

With a 5 days old GV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...nd-vitara.html (First off-roading with Grand Vitara)

With a 4 month old GV:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...goes-sour.html (Birthday off-roading bash on Grand Vitara goes sour...)

With a 9 month old GV:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...-otr-meet.html (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)

Only when I found the GV to be less suitable for hardcore offroading, I bought a Jeep. Therefore, stop wondering who will take a new vehicle offroading. There are many of us who will.

The Bangalore offroad circle often sees new Scopios, Safaris and Endeavours in hardcore offroad trails. The owners bring it despite warnings about damage.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:08   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Sir,

I agree with your comments on adding a Bull-Bar and winch on any other IFS Vehicles.

But the Thar/Scorpio 4WD tips forward without the winch; aggravates the tipping forward.

For Toyota/Mitsubishi and Ford Endy Suspension Lift Kits are available from ARB Old Man Emu. (Torsion Bar/Bushes/Upper/Lower Arms/ Coil Springs/Shackles and Shock Absorbers).

Our good old trax just needs a rekeying of the torsion rods to increase stiffness or height . And it is a 30 min job to get it done . The suspension is fully adjustable .

Last edited by v12 : 9th January 2011 at 13:59.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:32   #364
Team-BHP Support

Samurai there was also the Fortuner off road adventure planned by none other than Autocar India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...boot-camp.html (Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp)

This was when the Fortuner was less than a year in Indian market and costing 23L.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:38   #365
BANNED

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be great if someone from Force Motors saw how much excitement/despair/interest the Thar has created, at least on TBhp, and had a wild idea to relaunch the Gurkha?

Boy, would that stir things up.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:46   #366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be great if someone from Force Motors saw how much excitement/despair/interest the Thar has created, at least on TBhp, and had a wild idea to relaunch the Gurkha?

Boy, would that stir things up.
AN earlier post of mine in another thread I had actually posted why Force motors is not able to produce the Gurkha . I had already had a chat with the RM at chennai . The demand for lifestyle vehicles is not that much and producing Gurkha meant a complete production line dedicated to it , which is not feasible .

But again , the Gurkha was not a half baked attempt . Attention to detail was much better than the THar .
Old 9th January 2011, 12:49   #367
BHPian

Hi all. This is my first post as a member of Team-BHP. I have been following various thar threads for about a year now.its really a mixed bag of OHHH and AHHRRRGG rite now.Well i really thing that M&M needs to stop advertising Thar as a SUV.Its an out and out a jeep. A capable vehicle both for off road as well as on road conditions though missing an AC and HT does limit its on road capability, with a great combo of brute power and old stylish looks. But what they need to understand is that a lot of improvement can be made to the interiors and it aint going to cost anything. The present fit and finish will turn a lot of customers away from it as 7L is no cheap amount. How can a brand like M&M take its customers for granted or can be so ignorant that they launched the Thar without even properly checking it.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:13   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

Our good old trax just needs a rekeying of the torsion rods to increase stiffness or height . And it is a 30 min job to get it done . The suspension is fully adjustable .
Hi Greatmana,

The same can be done on the M&M Torsion Bar IFS, through the Height Control Bolt, on the Height Control Arm.

Regards,

Arka
Old 9th January 2011, 13:17   #369
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
A Metal plate will be lethal on your knees in the case of even a minor accident. That is why no modern cars have metal dashboards. But you are right, it does look much better. Maybe a plastic 'plate' with metal paint/finish might be a good idea.

And a flat rectangular plastic strip would not cost much in terms of R&D/mould-making either!
yes...even a plastic plate will do. What I'm trying to say is M&M can stick to the roots of the vehicle...they've done it on the outside...why did they mess the inside?!? A simple flat plate, with holes/grill for speakers and 1-2din ICE etc. can easily be incorporated. This way, the wiper/light stalks wont touch the dash, and there will be more space between the steering and the dash as well. This will also make life easier to build a full roll cage with bars running inside the cabin. The current adapter plate for the dash is simply not acceptable. Hell, one of us can even suggest a decent design to M&M.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-100dash90420.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-jeepcjdashparts2.jpg  

Last edited by NIP : 9th January 2011 at 13:22.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:44   #370
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Greatmana,

The same can be done on the M&M Torsion Bar IFS, through the Height Control Bolt, on the Height Control Arm.

Regards,

Arka
I havent worked on one , so cannot comment . Do you have any pics ? It would probably help me understand . Does the Thar also sport the same ?
Old 9th January 2011, 13:46   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I definitely hope not. I sincerely hope they just revert to the old MM540 style
----------------
It can be simple yet classy...attaching a couple of pics to show what I mean:
The last picture is giving me ideas, won't it look classy and pass CMVR also?
Old 9th January 2011, 13:56   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Greatmana,

Regards,

Arka
would this not indirectly cause a funny stance of the vehicle and uneven tyre wear.
i can be completely wrong arka so please correct me
Old 9th January 2011, 14:06   #373
BHPian

http://http://www.ndtv.com/video/pla...22-lakh/186352. How many of you would agree to this? Check time frame 10:10 to 14:10. Car and Bike show doesn't see Thar selling in mass numbers.M&M please think seriously.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:24   #374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
would this not indirectly cause a funny stance of the vehicle and uneven tyre wear.
i can be completely wrong arka so please correct me
After the height increase the tyres have to be aligned as well . So if the tyres are alinged I do not think it would be a problem
Old 9th January 2011, 15:37   #375
BHPian

Personally i feel that if M&M puts plush interiors, HT, AC, in common words i am saying fully loaded and raise the price by another 2l it will still have a lot of takers. Why not launch a fully loaded Thar on wrangler concept with all the goodies as a limited top of line edition. The onus will be on customers and M&M wont have anything to loose. It will be a win win situation for both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks