Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 15:40   #376
naj
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Great Review.

Superb

As mentioned Offroading requirments of 95% of the users will be covered by the Thar, but as a lifestyle vehicle the inteiors quality and absence of AC is a major shortcoming.

This requires a removable Hard roof, AC and even better garnishing. Mahindra should offer these as original accessories and even if it cost Rs. 1-1.5L extra over this the lifestyle guys will go for it. Else they do have the Xenon Option, and that makes an even better statement with AC, better plastics and interiors (even though they too are not perfect) - expecially if true off terrain requirements don't exist.
+1
That was the thought that came to my mind first.With an optional AC,Hard top and front facing seats for the Thar ,the cost of these would be around 125K. Pretty close to the Xenon!

And now Xenon comes with ABS option too.

DC design would be of much help with their hard top,a better dash and other kits but that would be even more expensive straight in to Xenon territory.

Cheers,
naj
Old 9th January 2011, 17:08   #377
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Greatmana,

The same can be done on the M&M Torsion Bar IFS, through the Height Control Bolt, on the Height Control Arm.

Regards,

Arka
this is located at mid chassis position in Thar, much behind/rearwards than anyone thinks . Those torsion bars are really long .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
would this not indirectly cause a funny stance of the vehicle and uneven tyre wear.
i can be completely wrong arka so please correct me
You are gona love working on this , its almost like raising the front of the Amby ( when it used to get too low )

BTW Arkajee & Allanjee what if we remove/delink the front antiroll/stabiliser bar for offroading purpose ( I mean the rod that links both L & R front suspension ) .Will it help more articulation at front ?
DB sir ,Spike ? can you tell ?
Old 9th January 2011, 18:54   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, really. I did it with a brand new 17L worth Grand Vitara, which was less than a week old.

With a 5 days old GV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...nd-vitara.html (First off-roading with Grand Vitara)

With a 4 month old GV:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...goes-sour.html (Birthday off-roading bash on Grand Vitara goes sour...)

With a 9 month old GV:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...-otr-meet.html (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)

Only when I found the GV to be less suitable for hardcore offroading, I bought a Jeep. Therefore, stop wondering who will take a new vehicle offroading. There are many of us who will.

The Bangalore offroad circle often sees new Scopios, Safaris and Endeavours in hardcore offroad trails. The owners bring it despite warnings about damage.
This isnt extreme. Would you get the GV to the EXAMM stages? Or that first tough "chocolate dip" of AKC?? Come on!! be realistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Samurai there was also the Fortuner off road adventure planned by none other than Autocar India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...boot-camp.html (Toyota Fortuner Boot Camp)

This was when the Fortuner was less than a year in Indian market and costing 23L.
Yeah, that wasnt even mildly extreme. Believe me. I was the recovery vehicle. It was just a promotional activity.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th January 2011 at 00:46. Reason: Probably makes sense to snip the photos in the quoted text. Helps in the readability as well as in faster page load.
Old 9th January 2011, 19:26   #379
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDe offroading with us

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image_001.jpg

BEFORE

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image_002.jpg

After

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image_003.jpg

It was madly put to test and came out with flying colors except for the damages..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 9th January 2011 at 19:36.
Old 9th January 2011, 19:56   #380
Senior - BHPian

Ym-enjn: Can we have some more pics of the Thar offroading from you.

Also those alloys seem to look nice.can we have some pics of them.

The Jeep is looking way better this way.The bull bar which was on the tbhp test vehicle just does not look good.This simple look is way better.Also the bull bar on the adventure was pretty good too.
I just hope these bull bars and their joints are able to take abuse like pushing other cars and general fooling around with pushing other stuff around.Used to do it with the Armada grand when i was in Chandigarh.Pushing a Zen in punjab university campus was good fun!
Old 9th January 2011, 20:11   #381
BHPian

saw it in flesh for the first time at the expo today..even though i'm not a 4x4 lover,looks awesome to say the least! HUGE tyres!
cheers to everyone who's buying one!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-020.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-021.jpg  

Last edited by raghav.carfreak : 9th January 2011 at 20:13. Reason: attachments werent uploaded
Old 9th January 2011, 20:44   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Also those alloys seem to look nice.can we have some pics of them.
Just a quick pic of the alloys.. I will post lots of OTR photos tomorrow.. Tyres are 245 R16 BFGs

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar.jpg
Old 9th January 2011, 20:55   #383
Senior - BHPian

You have to hand it over to MAHINDRA for having the guts to make this vehicle. Almost everyone has been in a JEEP and its nice to have one that can be bought straight from the showroom than built from the ground up
Old 9th January 2011, 21:01   #384
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ym-enjn.

Those are beautiful alloys.Could you tell me the brand etc and are they available in other colors as well?If possible the price too.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:38   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
This isnt extreme. Would you get the GV to the EXAMM stages? Or that first tough "chocolate dip" of AKC?? Come on!! be realistic!
Why Cyrus, why is it so hard to believe that Samurai is looking for a more capable offroader compared to GV, to do exactly what you are referring to. And like him i would also love to bring my family for such trips.

And please lets not get into what is extreme and what is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post

=======

It was madly put to test and came out with flying colors except for the damages..
Super looking forward to the details. What happened, the front bumper came off?

Quote:
Just a quick pic of the alloys.. I will post lots of OTR photos tomorrow.. Tyres are 245 R16 BFGs

Attachment 480073
Whose vehicle is this? Superb alloys.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:07   #386
BHPian

Went back to India Garage today to take another look at the Thar after reading all the posts...Fit and finish is quite passable in my opinion...just the attitude of the guy at the showroom was horrible!

My wife loved it, and didnt even mind the clearance of the indicator stalks with the dash.

They have exchanged the black Thar with a Silver one, where the tailgate actually opens...only caveat she has is that it should have an AC and HT (we have only one parking spot in our apartment where she parks the Santro. The Thar would be parked on the road).

The sales guy was awful and only wanted to book the Thar without a test drive, or even knowing what the "small gear lever" (I asked him about the 4x4) was for.

Once the AC and HT are sorted, I am in line to buy one. The cheque has been ready for a few months now.

The roll cage was quoted as 16000 by the dealer. He says as of now, no AC is possible and no HT.

I will definitely not return to India Garage St Marks Road unless I get an apology from them about the way we were treated...just because we looked at the Thar and not the Scorp.

Can anyone recommend a sales guy to deal with in Bangalore?

Also, if I get the HT and AC fitted on my own, what are the warranty issues?

Thanks,
Manas
Old 9th January 2011, 22:15   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post

Also, if I get the HT and AC fitted on my own, what are the warranty issues?
This is precisely the question i have for the Mahindra Reps.I hope the ones on our forum like BD ji answer this query.

If they expect this to be a lifestyle vehicle they have to treat the customers with respect.Because the most people who buy this would already be owners of more cars.This would generally be the toy.And these kind of people (including me) ask for utmost respect and understanding from the Company.

We want to buy this vehicle but their attitude has to be compromising.We need an AC and HT.If they cannot provide it then there should be NO issues with the warranty if we get it from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Super looking forward to the details. What happened, the front bumper came off?
Yep seems like a hard hit.

Look at the front right fender.At that angle its a hard hit to deform it that way.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th January 2011 at 23:48. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:31   #388
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The car looks hot in silver. That desert shot is gorgeous. Getting tempted now !!
Old 9th January 2011, 22:47   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Cyrus, looks like you are not understanding my reply.

You said who will push their brand new Jimny into hardcore offroading. Well, I tried pushing my Grand Vitara which is twice as expensive as Jimny, into hardcore offroading. Now, I am not sure how you determined these terrains as non-hardcore without being there in person. As far as I know in my limited 3 years of offroading, one cannot measure the wickedness of a terrain without being there in person. You must have some special extra sensory perception about offroad terrains to make such determination from photographs/videos. Even Arka has previously admitted his inability to judge terrains from photos/videos.

Hardcore or not, the Grand Vitara didn't make it out of these trails without towing, and also sustained panel damages and broke the rear bumper. Therefore, I started looking for something more capable as an offroader. If GV was as capable as Thar, I would have taken it to all trails taking my full family along, without worrying about the price of the vehicle.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:29   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 480054

BEFORE

Attachment 480055

After

Attachment 480056

Did this gentleman have a really bad day and use the Thar as a stress buster?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks