Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 23:38   #391
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

All this time i thought the off-center steering was just my imagination, surprised to learn it's actually true.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:49   #392
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Mahindra service center (dont wana name) to drop my friend's CL550mdi for some fixing yesterday, was shocked to see the service engineers trying to fix a broken down Thar crde which supposedly started to lose power and popped up the engine check light!!! The whole dash board was ripped open and all the wires dangling without mercy. The fuel rail was being replaced/re-tightened at my entry. It was a pityful scene, and damn- such shame on the plight of a brand new, yet to be sold vehicle already undergoing surgical treatment!!!

Not a good feeling after all :(
Old 9th January 2011, 23:57   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
WOW...Brilliant Review

I can speak from experience on this one. I own the 1st Thar bought in KZN , South Africa. I belong to the KZN Branch of the South African 4x4 CLUB and we have been on some real tough and testing outings. I can say with boldness, that my THAR 4x4 did not faulter, it followed and in some cases lead the way. One my Facebook group 'SA 4X4 FUN' I show its ability in the snow at about 3000 meters above sea level. With the plain road tyres I climed some serious inclines. The one incline found myself in my Mahindra Thar, a wrangler at the top. A hilux 4x4 battled to get up there and a Fortuner stayed at the bottom...could not , no matter how much he tried...could not get up to where we were.

Regarding the finishes on interior....rough but hey...no problem...this is a off-road beast and I have proved that! I am not concerned with the CITY SLICKER trimmings...please.

My only concern here in SA , was the fact I had to purchase the 'Cargo Cover' over and above the price of the vehicle. I thought all was well until rain arrived...what a joke...leaked like crazy. When I drove it flapped dangerously and made so much noise it hurt my ears.

Despite these small issues, I still say the MAHINDRA THAR 4X4 is the greatest

BEST BUY
Dear Eagle888 - Thank you for your comment on the capability of Thar. I appreciate. It is indeed nice to know that the Thar is way better than the competition vehicles (both of them!). South Africa Thar does not have any canopy. It is a 2 seater open vehicle. Please PM me. We need to talk.

Dear Ritesh - please SMS me the name of the Bangalore dealership.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th January 2011 at 00:00.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:14   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Can anyone recommend a sales guy to deal with in Bangalore?
@manasm: you could try sireesh automobiles. Salesperson is Manjunath and I got some good response from this guy. I have booked my THAR with these guys. I will PM you his number tomorrow.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:54   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Thar CRDe offroading with us

Attachment 480054

BEFORE

Attachment 480055

After

Attachment 480056

It was madly put to test and came out with flying colors except for the damages..
Dear Ym-enjn - please PM me. I need to talk to you. The "after" photograph has some very interesting observations. I have done umpteen Great Escapes, the AKC, The EXAMM and I do much more than all that in my dirty & plain jane looking but an absolute delight to drive MH01V521 and I have never ever touched my front right fender below the side light.

By the way, what's the Gypsy doing there? Did it do "everything"? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th January 2011, 01:21   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Had been to Mahindra service center (dont wana name) to drop my friend's CL550mdi for some fixing yesterday, was shocked to see the service engineers trying to fix a broken down Thar crde which supposedly started to lose power and popped up the engine check light!!! The whole dash board was ripped open and all the wires dangling without mercy. The fuel rail was being replaced/re-tightened at my entry. It was a pityful scene, and damn- such shame on the plight of a brand new, yet to be sold vehicle already undergoing surgical treatment!!!

Not a good feeling after all :(
That may be a once off scenario.
What I can say is that I have found MAHINDRA to be very professional in there manner when they attended to my THAR. I recently took my baby in for her 10 000km service and was very impressed with the service I got.
That is the second time I have been in , 1st being 5000km service.
Both times no problems. The Technical staff at MAHINDRA are highly competant and carried out a superb job. I am very impressed with the workmanship in terms of the THAR Mechanical service.
Old 10th January 2011, 01:31   #397
Senior - BHPian

am i seeing something different about the front tyres or its just the way the thar in the photo is? (1st photo)

whats the diagnose in the damage to the thar? also we can see mud getting into the intercooler! (2nd photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image_002.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image_003.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 10th January 2011 at 01:33.
Old 10th January 2011, 01:43   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Thar CRDe offroading with us

Attachment 480054

BEFORE

Attachment 480055

After

Attachment 480056

It was madly put to test and came out with flying colors except for the damages..
Good stuff Bro,I have done the same.I have pushed my THAR to limits I have not done in any other 4x4 I have owned and this baby just takes it in its stride. It is a 2ND WORLD WAR winning design - BOTTOM LINE -It has that original 1950's design, married to the latest state of the art 2.5 2 L Turbo Diesel engine and the best 5 speed 4x4 gearbox from Borg Warner.
You cannot ask for more. I have been out on long trips with friends who own the older 4 L Petro wranglers. Man I feel sorry for them, they chewing fuel and my THAR, no joke, the needle has hardly moved. These things are economical. Thanks for the pics here etc. Good stuff

The Thar has , in my opinion the latest technology Diesel Engine. I did 66km the other day , travelling at approx 120km/h and used 5.2L
That is approx 12.7km/liter. I am chuffed with this. I know at 100km/110Km i get close to 14km/l depending on hills or overtaking necessary.
Having the latest BOSCH/AVL POWERHOUSE under the bonnet makes me very very happy. Other guys traveling the same route with 4L Petrols were not so happy.
The THAR GETS MY VOTE ...EVERYDAY...since I bought it 9 months ago.

Last edited by bblost : 10th January 2011 at 11:16. Reason: back to back. Please use edit if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:25   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Cyrus, looks like you are not understanding my reply.

You said who will push their brand new Jimny into hardcore offroading. Well, I tried pushing my Grand Vitara which is twice as expensive as Jimny, into hardcore offroading. Now, I am not sure how you determined these terrains as non-hardcore without being there in person. As far as I know in my limited 3 years of offroading, one cannot measure the wickedness of a terrain without being there in person. You must have some special extra sensory perception about offroad terrains to make such determination from photographs/videos. Even Arka has previously admitted his inability to judge terrains from photos/videos.

Hardcore or not, the Grand Vitara didn't make it out of these trails without towing, and also sustained panel damages and broke the rear bumper. Therefore, I started looking for something more capable as an offroader. If GV was as capable as Thar, I would have taken it to all trails taking my full family along, without worrying about the price of the vehicle.
Well maybe then you should have put better pictures to prove the difficulty in terrain. The pictures clearly show something that isnt that difficult. And as with everything, there are always exceptions to the rule. Will the general public take out a brand new GV for a OTR experience? BE realistic man.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:48   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
http://http://www.ndtv.com/video/pla...22-lakh/186352. How many of you would agree to this? Check time frame 10:10 to 14:10. Car and Bike show doesn't see Thar selling in mass numbers.M&M please think seriously.
In my opinion the THAR is selling well here in South Africa.
With the proven offroad performance recently at competitions, the THAR is making a name for itself and I believe sales will keep climbing
Old 10th January 2011, 03:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB
Dear Ym-enjn - please PM me. I need to talk to you. The "after" photograph has some very interesting observations. I have done umpteen Great Escapes, the AKC, The EXAMM and I do much more than all that in my dirty & plain jane looking but an absolute delight to drive MH01V521 and I have never ever touched my front right fender below the side light.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the driver of the Thar must have had serious intent of test-abusing the vehicle.
What he seems to have done doesn't look like method-offroading.
Old 10th January 2011, 07:40   #402
BHPian

Hi Ym-enjn !

First of all congrats on the " Thar "

You have really put the "Thar" to the test , love to know more about your experiences .

Nice alloys pal ,please give us more details .

I sure think you can give more insight on the " IFS " , the right fender surely is an indication of the test .

Waiting for your OTR snaps .

Cheers !!
Old 10th January 2011, 07:41   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The car looks hot in silver. That desert shot is gorgeous. Getting tempted now !!
I agree 100%, sir, and that silver Thar does put that wide happy grin on my face too!

Does anyone know the exact launch date in Chennai? The temptation is so strong that I don't think I'll be able to wait for a V2 even if there is one. Also, God forbid they do something like what they have done to the looks of the current day Bolero and Scorpio when compared to the original looks of the Bolero and Scorpio to the Thar too.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:27   #404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Well maybe then you should have put better pictures to prove the difficulty in terrain. The pictures clearly show something that isnt that difficult.
Any experienced offroader knows that photos can never depict the difficulty. Since you are not an offroader, I guess you can be excused for thinking otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And as with everything, there are always exceptions to the rule. Will the general public take out a brand new GV for a OTR experience? BE realistic man.
Since when general public are expected to do offroading? BE realistic man! I was only referring to a tiny niche of mad offroaders who bring their primary family vehicles Scorpio, Safari, Endeavour, Fortuner, Xenon or GV in spite of knowing the limitations and risks. Obviously you are not aware about these since you are not an offroader.

These are the same people who might buy a brand new Thar just for offroading. The general public who might buy Thar will never take it offroad. So, let's not worry about them.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:42   #405
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Good stuff Bro,I have done the same.I have pushed my THAR to limits I have not done in any other 4x4 I have owned and this baby just takes it in its stride. It is a 2ND WORLD WAR winning design - BOTTOM LINE -It has that original 1950's design, married to the latest state of the art 2.5 2 L Turbo Diesel engine and the best 5 speed 4x4 gearbox from Borg Warner.
You cannot ask for more. I have been out on long trips with friends who own the older 4 L Petro wranglers. Man I feel sorry for them, they chewing fuel and my THAR, no joke, the needle has hardly moved. These things are economical. Thanks for the pics here etc. Good stuff
Good !! An owner's perspective at last ! Thanks for sharing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks