Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 23:15   #511
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

An AC, a good HT and nice decent interiors can give Mahindra more customers than they can get in this bare current Thar. Is Mahindra really waiting for thar sales to drop to negligible before they realise that its time to wake up and then rectify mistakes or let the project die an immature and avoidable death or do they want to be the leaders and grab the opportunity to improve and improvise skills which will help in keeping a good brand image. Right now Thar is like a one day crush which can never become a love of life.P.S If the target costumer is just the army then kindly let us people know. Why head bash our selves on something which was never made for us.Behram Sir kindly give us feedback on what you have read so far from the whole thread.It will really be appreciated.
Old 13th January 2011, 00:04   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My gut feel they should have atleast 100 booking from all over India by now otherwise it is worrisome. EDIT: Oops but its not launched all over so should be smaller maybe 30ish??
Bangalore - india garage claimed 25 while sireesh claimed 12 bookings so far. Have to take them with a big pinch of salt though. But 30 across launched cities seems low as well. Maybe 50. for now I can speak for 1 booking. That's mine

On a different note, if MM decide to add A/C to thar and re-release it to the market in the next few weeks would they have to go back for homologation before doing so? And a similar question for hardtop as well.
Old 13th January 2011, 00:19   #513
Team-BHP Support

It was made clear very early that AC & HT if it is made available will be a dealer fitment and not from company. So dont think homologation is required. And no you can rule out couple of weeks time frame.

So that makes atleast 3 in TBHP and i took 10 times the number for my conservative figure.
Old 13th January 2011, 00:21   #514
BHPian

An excellent review, few points that i see is

1. Mahindra always think of thier cost equation not the customers cost equation.
Eg : Scorpio (10 L vehicle) come with JK tyres just for cost cutting. How much M&M is saving? may be few thousands (3 - 4 k). But how much frustration it creates in customer? A lot!
When i bought the scorpio i was even ready to pay this 4k to get a BS tyres but not possible. Now if i have to change it aftermarket i have to shell ~20k for this. That is why i say they are only worries about thier cost equation

2. Without AC it cannot be even thought of as a lifestyle vehicle, i know lot of enthusiast will only need the chasis and engine but to really project as a lifestyle vehicle it has to have a second variant where it comes with AC and HT.

3. Dhabhar says they know exactly what customer want (in the video of mahindrathar.com). But I doubt!

Regards,
Scorpio Fan
Old 13th January 2011, 08:14   #515
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What are the options for soft top. Is that readily available from dealer?

Should better than fully open jeep.
The Thar is delivered standard with a soft top from the factory. Its the hardtop option that people are asking for.

I have been reading all these suggestions for hardtop and here's what I think. Just as you don't buy a convertible and worry about hardtop, so also you don't necessarily buy a Jeep on the condition that it comes with a hardtop. Jeeps are such fun without a top. I drove from Bangalore to Kurnool top down and what a blast that was. There are inconveniences but the joy of open air motoring is something I wouldn't trade for security issues. If I really want security for belongings maybe I'll fit a trunk behind a forward facing seat as a lockable trunk.

In any case a hardtop will come into the market soon, just a matter of time.

Last edited by DKG : 13th January 2011 at 08:21.
Old 13th January 2011, 08:27   #516
AWD
BHPian

Initial numbers could be on the higher side because of the initial euphoria of the launch. Things start becoming clear after 3-4 months post launch.

I feel the Mdi 4x2 might account for greater chunk of sales. Not that its VFM, perfect price would have been 4.25L. In 6L range, options galore. Maybe not from Jeeps POV but that's available at a lower price of 4.5L or something. In 6L category, consumers have a wide choice to choose from, top end hatches, decent sedans, add another Lakh or so & you enter MUV category(closed body & A.C. comfort). To make a crack at the "Lifestyle" segment, Mahindra or any other company would require a better vehicle, Thar does not define that category. The consumers who already own SUV's like Endeavour, Fortuner, etc. will expect much superior fit, finish & comfort, they are an already spoilt lot!
Old 13th January 2011, 08:56   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Just as you don't buy a convertible and worry about hardtop, so also you don't necessarily buy a Jeep on the condition that it comes with a hardtop. Jeeps are such fun without a top. I drove from Bangalore to Kurnool top down and what a blast that was. There are inconveniences but the joy of open air motoring is something I wouldn't trade for security issues. If I really want security for belongings maybe I'll fit a trunk behind a forward facing seat as a lockable trunk.
Been there, done that. If I go by your logic, I have no reason to buy Thar. What more does Thar give me over my CJ340? Little extra speed on the highways? I rarely cross 100kmph even in my GV, I have become a very sober driver thanks to the terrible roads of Karnataka.

I can upgrade from CJ340, only if I can get HT and AC. If not, no upgrade is worth it. Many current Jeepers have similar predicament.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:06   #518
BANNED

35 pages and we are still mulling weather Thar is built with the right equation in mind by M&M.

Verdict is clear, Maximum percentage of people feel its half baked beans.

And we are still discussing it over a Test Drive thread and other numerous threads on the forum.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:23   #519
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What more does Thar give me over my CJ340? Little extra speed on the highways? I rarely cross 100kmph even in my GV, I have become a very sober driver thanks to the terrible roads of Karnataka.

I can upgrade from CJ340, only if I can get HT and AC. If not, no upgrade is worth it. Many current Jeepers have similar predicament.
Sharath, pretty soon we'll have more offroad events taking place across the country. Lets face it the majority of enthusiasts would balk at the idea of driving 1000 kms or more in a Jeep to attend an event. This is where the Thar will make a difference. Not to mention the peace of mind that all you need to do is tank up and leave. Doesn't that matter? I think it does.

As for a/c and hardtop, in anycase the hardtop is a removeable device and if not Mahindra someone else will come out with it.

As for ac there appear to be packaging and logistic issues in doing this easily on account of the 540 body. I'll leave it to BD or Spike to explain what is the best route. In anycase the price will go up a further 50k if ac comes into the picture. They seem to have figured out what to do to ensure ac can be accomodated so I guess people serious about the car can have a chat with either of the gentlemen to understand.

But overall Sharath lets face it. The offroad sport will not grow on account of Fortuner, or GV or old Jeeps restored. Its only the Thar right now that will make it so much easier and fun to get into this sport and enjoy across the country.

I am planning a Himalayan trip this June and almost all the Jeepers I talk to say "You are crazy to want to drive all the way up to Delhi"

What do you think people's reaction would be if I spoke to Thar owners? A resounding YES !!
Old 13th January 2011, 10:03   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My gut feel they should have atleast 100 booking from all over India by now otherwise it is worrisome. EDIT: Oops but its not launched all over so should be smaller maybe 30ish??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
I don't think Mahindra thinks of this as a mass market - 5cr budget and a open top in India

Spike/Vinod, can you reveal the booking numbers for Thar? (If it is not a secret that is, I see Toyota etc. revealing this about fortuner etc. everyday)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Bangalore - india garage claimed 25 while sireesh claimed 12 bookings so far. Have to take them with a big pinch of salt though. But 30 across launched cities seems low as well. Maybe 50. for now I can speak for 1 booking. That's mine

On a different note, if MM decide to add A/C to thar and re-release it to the market in the next few weeks would they have to go back for homologation before doing so? And a similar question for hardtop as well.
Quote:
It was made clear very early that AC & HT if it is made available will be a dealer fitment and not from company. So dont think homologation is required. And no you can rule out couple of weeks time frame.

So that makes atleast 3 in TBHP and i took 10 times the number for my conservative figure.
i would like to know how many Thar CRDe has been made in the initiall production batch?

50-100 Thar CRDe?? and they are struggling to sell the first production lot!

jeep captain booked one, as per his FB, so that makes 4 for TBHP.

'JEEP' runs in the blood of too many JEEPERS on TBHP, old times or new comers and the THAR CRDe is the best (mechanically) JEEP they could ever lay their hands on, but its at a price which is simply way beyond to be spent on a 2nd vehicle in the family.

and first timer JEEPERs who want to buy it as a 1st vehicle in the family, find no family oriented features (comforts) AC and HT, so they are left confused.

India is a country of 2nd hand JEEP & Gypsy users, we as a country still do not spend on NEW JEEP & Gypsy and go off roading with them, like some people do in other countries. though we see NEW Gypsy being bought in TBHP, that number is negligible!

to accept THAR CRDe and to integrate into indian OTR will take some time and for that M&M and BD sir has to do a lot of ground work. they have launched the THAR but dealership support is zilch!

M&M had gifted M&M customization dept's creations like stinger, commando etc to cricketers like Ghambir, Robin, etc, but those products never caught anyone's attention.

also, how many bought a NEW MAJOR and modified it with M&M,s Customization Dept headed by a DC fan?

how many bought a bolero and got it modifed with M&M to make it into Commando or Stinger?

i hope the first production lot of CRDe gets sold!
Old 13th January 2011, 10:30   #521
BHPian

I think if atleast 300 THARs are sold for this year, then M&M will be at no loss. so lets sell these first, then only we can expect the second version.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:31   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But overall Sharath lets face it. The offroad sport will not grow on account of Fortuner, or GV or old Jeeps restored. Its only the Thar right now that will make it so much easier and fun to get into this sport and enjoy across the country.
Hi DKG,

You concluded this in one year of off-roading in INDIA?.

The community is growing steadily, only and exclusively due to Old JEEPs & Gypsy's.

A JEEP has more than nine lives, and that is something the THAR cannot take away or alleviate.

The "new" vehicle which the "Indian" Off-Road community has been waiting for is definitely not the THAR CRDe (In its current mechanical & aesthetic avataar)

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th January 2011, 10:41   #523
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi DKG,

You concluded this in one year of off-roading in INDIA?.

The community is growing steadily, only and exclusively due to Old JEEPs & Gypsy's.

A JEEP has more than nine lives, and that is something the THAR cannot take away or alleviate.

The "new" vehicle which the "Indian" Off-Road community has been waiting for is definitely not the THAR CRDe (In its current mechanical & aesthetic avataar)

Regards,

Arka
We can agree to disagree on this one Arka. I know that the Thar's impact on the offroading sport, and the CRDe at that, will be multifold as compared to old Jeeps and Gypsies. People simply won't have the time, patience, or effort to make the endless trips to workshops to rebuild these oldies and then to drive thousands of miles in Jeeps/Gypsies to participate in events. We all did so because we didn't have a choice. Now that we do you will see more guys gravitating to a Thar (CRDe)

My hunch on the future of old Jeeps and Gypsies is that its only lack of funds to buy a new Thar which will sustain the business of a few oldies getting restored for the job. The vast majority of buyers for a vehicle like this (and mind you this is a new breed of enthusiasts that will emerge) won't hesitate to buy a Thar as compared to buying a disposal army Jeep and spending time effort and money restoring it. Ofcourse there may be exceptions like you who even if you can afford a Thar will never buy one because you can't now be seen in a vehicle with IFS

I know both of us will be around to see this borne out soon.

Last edited by DKG : 13th January 2011 at 10:47.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:50   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
People simply won't have the time, patience, or effort to make the endless trips to workshops to rebuild these oldies and then to drive thousands of miles in Jeeps/Gypsies to participate in events
Partially agree to this, people in office called me mad, when they saw me with DwArF in office parking lot. Same people came and spoke about Thar! its a different thing that they are not happy with current version and a different thing i might have influenced them to this jeep thing.

DKG please dont pull in Gypsy into the whole equation. There are many of us who has used it and its at a very different league on a highway. I would love to do whole of India in one once i put an AC into it.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:52   #525
BHPian

Hi DKG,
with THAR we can definitely build the offroading community and we will come to a situation where we will bring down the current standards to an extent where we call the trail driving as offroading and we cannot take the offroading to any higher level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks