Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 14:50   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Finally i have received an email confirming the test drive. Read as below:
Jaggu, that's a mass mail out to everybody who've registered on their website
I received one too. Anyways, no harm in waiting.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 25th January 2011, 14:50   #692
BHPian

M&M Customizations are within warranty according to JS Nanda. I don't see why external mods would mess with the warranty either.

Apparently only non-aesthetic mods affect warranty - so that concern doesn't apply.

What does apply: The trouble of finding a good mechanic to do this. For now, I don't know any in Chennai, so will probably drive down to Hyd to my old mech who modded my jeep.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:00   #693
Team-BHP Support

Everybody forgets insurance. The insurance will only cover original specs and price, and not the 4L customisation. In fact, insurer may even decline claim saying it is heavily modified. They might even decline saying it went offroading.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:04   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Jaggu, that's a mass mail out to everybody who've registered on their website
I received one too. Anyways, no harm in waiting.
Cheers,
Deepak
I know Deepak, atleast the mass mailer was trigerred after what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Everybody forgets insurance. The insurance will only cover original specs and price, and not the 4L customisation. In fact, insurer may even decline claim saying it is heavily modified. They might even decline saying it went offroading.
Yes and No. One has to include these as accessories and evaluate while taking the insurance. But then premium will also go up. It is possible, but unless they are covered insurance will not pay for it and as Samurai mentioned, can get disputed.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:17   #695
BHPian

When I had a 80 grand music system, I had it quoted specifically in the insurance cover. Yes the insurance went up by a few 100 - that is all. You should choose a pain free insurance.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:58   #696
BHPian

I went to see the Thar last Saturday at Silver Jubilee motors ltd at Pune, there is no Thar on showcase, sales person told me that it will be available in 2 months however there is one Thar DI in white color on display. Sales guy offered me the test drive however I am not very keen about the DI model because of the looks mostly.

He gave me cost break-ups as below:

Model : Thar CRDe - BS IV 4x4
Ex. Showroom - 598223
RTO and Reg charge - 45876
Insurance - 20643

Total On Road - 664741

What I gather from this thread is, there is possibility that M&M will launch Thar version 2 with HT/AC, surely that will be nice deal as I am looking for city as well as expedition vehicle.
So let’s wait and save money.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:29   #697
BHPian

Hey Team

Check out this link to understand what the Thar Hardtop will look like. It even has the vehicle dismantling manual and the accessories in store in Italy...

:: MAHINDRA THAR ::
Old 25th January 2011, 17:09   #698
BHPian

From what Mahindra has at present in the form of Thar, it seems like a failure. Poor execution of a good design, capable engine but no LSD. Too many deal breakers, as observed earlier.
It should be either very basic and well executed (leaving the comforts to be decided by the owner as accessories), or a complete solution.
For me, I consider AC, ABS, LSD done with quality and a good interior (no flash, just functional) to be the highest priority in a lifestyle design, the controls should fall at hand, Gypsy does interior and ergonomics better than Thar. Thar does engine and suspension better than Gypsy. Thar has too many rough edges in the execution for now. Body wise, seems like a hand build prototype where the placements are rough and yet to be finalized.
I think Tata has a good design in Xenon and a short wheelbase version with lesser overhangs, the current engine in Safari and a bit better dashboard can do better.
Just my thoughts
Old 25th January 2011, 18:06   #699
BHPian

I've been closely following this thread for months now and its only disappointing to see how half muted our celebrations on Thar's launch has become.
We need a THAR as a crossover with the creature comforts of a sedan and the abilities of an off roader.
Just imagine how it would be to see a GYPSY with a 1.3 Multijet engine churning 90ps and 200NM torque and IFS, AC, ABS, traction control etc..............
Anyway, nothing can match the THAR's retro JEEP looks and enthusiasts would prefer buying it atleast for this
Old 25th January 2011, 23:22   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Hey Team

Check out this link to understand what the Thar Hardtop will look like. It even has the vehicle dismantling manual and the accessories in store in Italy...

:: MAHINDRA THAR ::
This top is developed by the Italian importer and not Mahindra. Wish we could see this in India. Looks like a very nice top.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:36   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
I've been closely following this thread for months now and its only disappointing to see how half muted our celebrations on Thar's launch has become.
We need a THAR as a crossover with the creature comforts of a sedan and the abilities of an off roader.
Just imagine how it would be to see a GYPSY with a 1.3 Multijet engine churning 90ps and 200NM torque and IFS, AC, ABS, traction control etc..............
Anyway, nothing can match the THAR's retro JEEP looks and enthusiasts would prefer buying it atleast for this
Agreed. I have owned a THAR for around 10 months and all I can say is it is the BEST! I have said it before and I will say it again, GREAT JEEP LOOKS, AWESOME BORG WARNER 5 SPEED 4X4 GEARBOX and an amazing amazing Bosch/AVL 2.5L turbo deisel engine...all this for a good price here in my country anyway. I can't believe all the negativity about this beauty. I think it rocks and so do all the guys I 4x4 with over here. I don't work for Mahindra, I just bought a THAR! and have proved it off-road many times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This top is developed by the Italian importer and not Mahindra. Wish we could see this in India. Looks like a very nice top.

It is a nice top. Have you seen the one made for the Thar, by Puma Canopies - Manufactures a wide range of quality canopies... The front section is removable. Very nice for fresh air on hot days
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-manindra20thar202.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th January 2011 at 23:51. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote instead. Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 23:58   #702
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
I can't believe all the negativity about this beauty. I think it rocks and so do all the guys I 4x4 with over here. I don't work for Mahindra, I just bought a THAR! and have proved it off-road many times already.
Eagle some of us know this car rocks and in an offroad situation, not only on tarmac as many here have incorrectly assumed. It will take a little time but the car will perform very well in most offroad situations here in India and prove its skeptics wrong.
Old 26th January 2011, 03:33   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Eagle some of us know this car rocks and in an offroad situation, not only on tarmac as many here have incorrectly assumed. It will take a little time but the car will perform very well in most offroad situations here in India and prove its skeptics wrong.
Agreed, and off-late, no one has given any negative comment on Thar's off-road capabilities but are complaining about overall package and price mismatch.

There is no 4x4 at this price, agreed again. But for a bare bone vehicle, cost is too high. After all the additions mentioned in the above posts, it reaches the price of any other 4x4 vehicle available in the market but has polished features ... so what is the USP here with the Thar? Just that it can be taken out to terrains where other 4x4 might not survive, well that does not qualify Thar to be a lifestyle vehicle.

IMO, Thar has been positioned incorrectly as a lifestyle vehicle, if it were positioned as a pure off-roader (of course with some more additions to make it more capable off-road), people would have bought in on the cost factor.

PS: i am still a potential buyer and am considering the pros and cons of spending money on Thar and not a Safari? I need a lifestyle vehicle.

Last edited by somubj : 26th January 2011 at 03:36. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 27th January 2011, 12:08   #704
BHPian

Spoke to India Garage chennai - and they say the launch might get delayed till march :( This is not good.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:19   #705
Team-BHP Support

Thar is currently aimed at real men, men who can laugh at the face of dust, smoke and heat. I on the other hand, have been sneezing after the 410Kms drive yesterday in my doorless Jeep. I am still spitting dark sooty phlegm and extracting the same from my nose.

Real men laugh at dust and smoke, I sneeze! Wait, that can be my next signature.

Unless you are one of those real men described by auto magazines as real Jeepers, you'll need HT and AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks