Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 00:27   #721
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I would have foregone the HT and the AC just for the performance of this vehicle. But, like others here, the atrocious fit and finish left me stunned.
And attempts to justify or underplay such pathetic workmanship is embarrassing actually.
Please just quietly release v2 and watch us lap it up!
Old 28th January 2011, 09:33   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
...I need a REMOVABLE Hard Top.

The one that is being offered by mahindra is good no doubt but is prohibitively expensive!....
The one provided for Gypsy is for 30k, and it serves the purpose well. Some thing on similar lines should be good. Instead of the plasticky dash, go for the classic dial on the metal look, why spend on something that makes it look ugly. The blower need not be integrated into the dash.
While you are at it, I would definately prefer the gear an 4WD selection lever to be on he lines of Gypsy. Hell, it will be easier to spruce up the gypsy suspension setup and fit a diesel inside than making the Thar as friendly on the inside. Though the Gypsy dash is nothing elaborate, it does the function better and looks better.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:50   #723
Senior - BHPian

Gharika i would actually prefer prepping up the Thar because that will be only a cosmetic setup and not a mechanical change.Any mechanical change would make the Jeep unreliable.

Basically with the gypsy the hard top is a regular fitment and hence high production volumes.If the Thar HT is available even at 1 lakh provided it is as good as its depicted by Mr.Nanda, I would lap it up.

Also lets not compare a straight out of the showroom Brand New Jeep to a "Indian Jugaad".No matter how well you work on it, its still a "Jugaad" and i would never go to leh on it.

Also regarding the soft top.I am actually pretty impressed with this travelogue-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-group-3.html

And this is not even the Soft top provided by Mahindra.According to Mahindra their soft top is somehting which has not been seen on any jeep till now.I am just hoping this comes out to be true and it is infact that good.Atleast till i accumulate the money for the Hard Top i would have somehting to cover my head with during the harsh weather.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:10   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now i have been told by the customization team that there is actually a Hard top design which is made to order.It is double walled and has a good liner as well.It has Glass on three sides and a rear hatch type door as well.So basically its a copy of the italian hard top design.This Info have been provided by Mr. Nanda himself.
Quote:
Cyrus what I need and am demanding is a Removable Hard Top.
The one that is being offered by mahindra is good no doubt but is prohibitively expensive!Thats why the option of making it a regular production offering or a group buy offering to make it cheaper would be a great deal for people like who want to enjoy it daily.
What is the cost of the HT that M&M is offering? I guess they must be importing it from Italy or SA making it prohibitively expensive. They must also be trying to reverse engineer that HT through some vendor in India. If they already have a good HT, made in India, why are they not displaying it? A removable hard top would be really welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
...The thing I do not see fit is that what is OK and has been OK for ages and ages is now suddenly unacceptable somehow.
It was OK for ages because people had no choice. When people started to have a choice, M&M came up with MM540/550 based models that had metal Hard Tops (I am not talking about the Armada, Bolero etc.). Why did they do that?
Old 28th January 2011, 10:40   #725
BHPian

I posted this before - repeating:

A special 3 side glass /reinforced HT with inner lining / painting etc. + roof lamps + AC setup will cost you 2.5L + 12.5% tax from M&M.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:57   #726
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes about everyone crying for the build quality etc.Can anyone post the comparison of a new bolero with a New thar.
A video depicting the quality would be great.

Please don't put any pics and say that this is good and this is bad.Post a video with a up close shot of the plastic grain and quality of both the vehicles in new condition.

I agree there are some corners cut with a hacksaw.But that does not constitute quality.The plastic quality used does.So please post up.

Also when the test drivers intended to post the bad quality plastic used they should have used a benchmark.You cannot be happy with the bolero and unhappy with the thar when both have the same dash with slight changes in geometry and corners but the same plastic.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:08   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre manish, as we discussed the other day, it is not about not accepting criticism baba. If the team did not want to hear criticisms, they would not have been active on the forum would they?? The thing I do not see fit is that what is OK and has been OK for ages and ages is now suddenly unacceptable somehow. Yes, I agree there are flaws, but then it is impossible ot make a perfect vehicle. I agree that it needs a AC and a HT for general public and the fit and finish on the interior should be better. But then wat is the point in buying an open top Jeep of you are going to shut it?? Woudnt such a person be better off in a bolero storm?? Just my two cents, you know I have immense respect for you man.
Cyrus, I beg to differ.

May a times we have stated in this forum the need for an inexpensive 4x4. But what do we get from M&M

1. Bolero 4x4 with BS-II engine
2. Scorpio 4x4 only in the VLX trim.
3. Nothing in between!

Fact of life is that most of us enthusiast reside in the "BS-IV Zone"! Hence need a BS-IV engine. Additionally most of us not interested in the electronic gizmos - rain sensors, voice assist, micro hybrid, intelligent lights etc, which could have easily been given as an option pack.

Once you can give us BS-IV Scorpio 4x4 in the lowest trim with AC, ABS and Air Bags, then Thar makes a sense. Those who want a hard top go for the Scorpio variant, and those who want an open geep go for Thar with Soft Top and AC.

Till then, working within the M&M constraint of design/production all that is possible is Thar with HT and AC, hence the anguished cry for them.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:43   #728
Senior - BHPian

When MSIL can offer factory-fitted HT for the Gypsy, why can M&M not do the same for Thar? This would help the macho's and not-so-macho's take their pick!

PS - The price difference across ST and HT is ~ INR 20K for the Gypsy
Old 28th January 2011, 13:03   #729
BANNED

I suppose M&M will quietly improve on the build quality and add few small features and do a special version launch in a couple of months.

does the thar have a TV commercial?
Old 28th January 2011, 15:46   #730
BHPian

The dust never seems to be settling down and myself being a man who sneezes , I would love to know about how much it costs for the AC fitment ?

The dealer in Cochin is quoting 60k for the AC ,which seems to be pretty high.

I have gathered , its about 48k in Mumbai and IIRC some even mentioned 40k.

Can anybody throw in some light regarding fitment of a spacer at the rear to even the tracks.

Cheers
Old 28th January 2011, 17:42   #731
BHPian

Quote:
The thing I do not see fit is that what is OK and has been OK for ages and ages is now suddenly unacceptable somehow.
Sir the price difference between what was there in the past and Thar is huge, but the fit and finish is still the same. Improved mechanicals can justify only till a limit, but then rest everything is coming as an additional cost for the customer. Think about it, an off-roader without a roll cage/bull bar as a factory fitment, or a lifestyle vehicle without an a/c forget the h/t for now.
Quote:
Say a lakh for the Hard top would be a great price.I have been quoted 40k for the AC.so 1.4 lakhs for AC and Hard top with warranty intact would be absolutely amazing for a person like me.
Ain't that over estimated cost IMHO? Please consider other potential buyers as well who don't own gold mines :-).
Old 28th January 2011, 17:46   #732
Senior - BHPian

Its not about gold mines.If you read correctly i said 1 lakh for the hard top with the kind of quality that that Mr. Nanda speaks of.It cannot be compared with the gypsy top.This has double walls.a head liner and better glass etc.Same as IIRC that of the italian thar.
Old 28th January 2011, 19:17   #733
Senior - BHPian

^ Why can't that kind of quality be provided for the interiors, for the price that is being paid?
Old 28th January 2011, 19:21   #734
BHPian

We must all remember 1 lakh is a number that we randomly pulled out off thin air, just like folks who say Thar crde with a 600bhp 1200Nm engine should be sold for 5 lakhs only.

Its all about supply and demand. If you think you can't afford current M&M customization price, wait for sometime and hope the price will come down / you will get a thar factory ht fitment. Or find a person who will get this done for 1 lakh - I remember seeing someone propose a dismantle'able ht for 1L in this thread itself.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:10   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
^ Why can't that kind of quality be provided for the interiors, for the price that is being paid?
What kind of quality are you talking about?

Is it the plastic quality?

Have you seen the Thar in person?

Have you compared its plastic quality with the Bolero with which people are actually satisfied.

If you're talking about the cut on the plastic which can be seen when the door opens then i'm sure mahindra will come up with a plate to cover it up pretty soon.
Infact the situation which now is that Thar CRDE is now available only after about 2 months its clear that mahindra is doing something.

Rest about what other quality would you talk about?No seriously have you guys who are crying about the Quality day and night have you compared it side by side with the Bolero?

If yes then what issues did you find?
and can you document it with the help of pics and videos.

I am talking about a new thar with a new bolero.

SubuS:Yes that number is pulled out randomly.But then again increased production numbers would lead to a considerable reduction in cost.
Other than that my plan is to buy the Jeep.Wait for 6 months.Gather some more money, get it customized. At that total price i agree a scorpio would be a very very much better choice but i'm like to be impractical and go with my heart.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 28th January 2011 at 20:14.

Most Viewed