Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 10:52   #961
BANNED

Reported Post by bblost: Thar thread..Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
I have gone through the entire Mahindra Thar Test Drive & Review thread here.
Most opinions in the thread spew venom on the Mahindra Thar. Such a super-biased opinion coming from serious motorists like my fellow-BHPians only personifies the attitude of a little kid who did not get the candy he wanted. I know there are short comings with the vehicle but does it deserve such a blasting?

I have never come upon a thread on any forum regarding any topic that oozes so much hatred for something.

If you like it, buy it and ENJOY IT.

If you really don't like it/want, please ignore this thread. It is quite laborious to go through so many posts just to come to the same conclusion that one comes to after reading the first few.

Thar owners, enjoy. Would be Thar owners drool. Thar haters cool it. Thar 'let down', wait for the coming months, I am sure BD Sir is listening!! Or is he?
TRUE: I have noticed this too , enough Q&A has been done , the company has launched what it feels to sell & do business . they have done what they thought fit . Its our choice to buy or not , no one is forcing us for that , we can simply say YES OR NO , why hate it ?

I have one Question for the critics , If its so bad product then let it face the market & fail , why are you so seriously taking note of it ? Ignore it .

I think Thar cant be ignored just like that , because of its huge potential . I don't say its perfect or what ever .

may be it has created some kind of panic amongst a few .

Let us comment in a fair way & do it responsibly

Sudarshan

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd February 2011 at 11:59. Reason: PM Sent
Old 21st February 2011, 11:31   #962
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Thar is fairly successful in SA. I do not think that Mahindra would spend extra effort to give us rusted body or shoddy plastics. Yes a lot of accessories available in SA are not available here, but then in SA all the addons are third party.

I agree that if you do not like it, do not buy Thar. Low sales would perk up any manufacturer, but if the sales are good then they assume that the buyers are satisfied.

I like Speedy's approach, if you want it and factory does not give it, do it yourself! After all all of us were doing up the jeeps. Now you can do it on a new vehicle!
Old 21st February 2011, 11:50   #963
BHPian

At last after so much wait, my Toredor Red Thar CRDe has arrived at my dealers stock yard in Bangalore. going now to have a look at it and plan for delivery date amongst other stuff.

Please advise if there is anything apart from the standard PDI that I should do for Thar.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:54   #964
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Most opinions in the thread spew venom on the Mahindra Thar. Such a super-biased opinion, there are short comings with the vehicle but does it deserve such a blasting?
I have never come upon a thread on any forum regarding any topic that oozes so much hatred for something.
So, I feel, enough Thar-bashing has been done on this forum. If you like it, buy it and ENJOY IT.
Would be Thar owners drool. Thar haters cool it.
Unfounded views is all I can comment on your long, rather hilarious post.
I could never ever ridicule the views/comments of fellow members whom I keep in very high esteem. There's something know as "Consumer feedback" which if used properly, translates into better/superior products. Ofcourse you need a Company which pays heed to the "Feedback".

This has been a very fair review & comments by the members have been spot on. "A spade has to be called a spade"! Regarding "drool", members over here are mature enough to see what drool worthy or not.

I can only suggest, please don't try & run down anybodys views just because you have different. Learn to respect others views & suggestions, they are all targeted at making the Thar a better vehicle.

The very essence of a public board is "freedom to express". If you like others views, fine. If not, just move over, can't do much!
Old 21st February 2011, 12:06   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Speedy - Did you already install the AC in your Thar, for the quote that you had got for 25K. Btw the pic looks great.
I have not yet installed the AC, as i was planning to do so after the roll cage is fitted. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you know why Duryodhan always hated the Pandavas? If you don't, you will have to actually read the Mahabharat, right from the beginning. Reading just one Thar thread, that too the latest one, will not enlighten you why so many are unhappy about it. Please don't hand out profound judgement after viewing just the latest episode, this serial started in December 2008.
Samurai you are sounding Biast against the car. Please do stop sounding like kids who were promised to be taken to the Cadbury factory and ended up in the corner sweet store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
^ Agree wholeheartedly to the above comment by Samurai.

I think Janjua needs to read the other threads and see how a lot of serious Jeepers and off-roaders were taken for a ride. BTW, if you are pleased with the Thar, the way it is now, please go ahead and buy it. No one's stopping you.
So what was your monitory contribution in making the Thar Discverwild, and the rest of the serious jeepers and offroaders?. I can safley say nothing except probably time in typing a post or two here on tbhp. I take it that you are a so called serious jeeper and off roader too, so please do let me know how the company took you for a ride. Please also do feel free to go through the older posts by others and state the faults here. I dont think you have any personal experience with the car, but are only going on what you have read here, please do correct me if i am wrong.
The CRDE is a car that has excellent road manners and fabulous to drive on the streets. The MDI is the one that can be used to offroad with as it does have the older jeeper favourite "solid axel". Please remember a company does not build cars keeping a handfull of people in mind, they think commercial. If it makes money they do it, not on peoples passions or need. There is something called custom built for that and it does not come cheap at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Januja- I think 'passion' is the appropriate term not hate /venom etc.
The way the concept was first introduced, everyones expectations were high.

Whilst what has been delivered is better than the Jeeps of yore in many respects, it is still a bit of lost opportunity.

We can fix some of the things (like old Amby days) by taking the new vehicle to the wksp and stripping down, however there are things that can be done only at the manufacturers end.

I think most people here actually want the Thar to succeed (& evolve).

Personally I look forward to ongoing updates from Thar users like Speedy & Jeepcaptain for their views/mods on the vehicle in the real world.
KMT which company builds a production car based on a handfull of peoples passion. Not all concept cars look and feel the same when they hit the market, so do we cry and snub it down at every opertunity given.

It is not a lost oportunity atall. The company will gain tremendously with this. Please do keep in mind the CRDE was not built keeping offroaders in mind, it was to please the city boys. The MDI can do the offroading as it is a similar set up to what the old jeep users are used too.

Look at me i am getting things done how i want too, so nothing about something being done from the manufacturers end. The jeeps used today for offroading by the so called serious jeepers and off roaders never left their factories this way. They have been tinkered with and retro fitted with parts to suit their offroading needs. So why the step treatment to the Thar.

Personally i dont think so. I do get the feeling from a few people that they feel threatend by the Thar as they would have less work in their hands with more Thars being bought. It does feel that some are stuck in the 15th century while others have moved to the 21st.

If you ask me the car is fabulous to drive in the city and rough roads. I have yet to take her for an actual offroading run, as i was waiting to get all the mods done on her first. If anyone wants a hassle free, fun to drive jeep for the city and rough roads and yes if you dont find the Thar Expensive, please do get her, you will not be dissapointed atall.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st February 2011 at 15:30. Reason: Commenting on ANY mod activity is not allowed. Please use reported post or 1-on-1 section for that.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:29   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Look at me i am getting things done how i want too, so nothing about something being done from the manufacturers end. .... So why the step treatment to the Thar.
Hey Speedy, There is no step treatment to the THAR.

We, the Tbhp-ians were asked what you want way back in 2008 and each of us here have suggested / contributed to the database.

When a new vehicle was released, its obvious that we voice our opinion rather than go ga ga over it.

The THAR is a good vehicle, but has its limitations and when the limitations are stated, it does not mean we criticize it.

Enjoy your THAR, voice your ownership experience for the benefit of the community!

Last edited by headers : 21st February 2011 at 12:31.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:39   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thar is fairly successful in SA. I do not think that Mahindra would spend extra effort to give us rusted body or shoddy plastics. Yes a lot of accessories available in SA are not available here, but then in SA all the addons are third party.

I like Speedy's approach, if you want it and factory does not give it, do it yourself! After all all of us were doing up the jeeps. Now you can do it on a new vehicle!
There is a wrong notion that SA gets better cars than India. The cars are the same in both places. The difference comes is the norms by the countries to sell cars. SA strict while India is relaxed. The other thing is our mentality of if it is exported it is better than what we get.

Exactly, instead of cribbing and crying over things, i rather do it how i want it and be happy with it. Except for the IFS and the engine this is an old jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Please advise if there is anything apart from the standard PDI that I should do for Thar.
Congratulations BlackRaven. The only thing i would advice is underbody rust protection and greezing all the suspension joints, hinges and other places neccisary. This reduces the squeks as most of this places are dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

This has been a very fair review & comments by the members have been spot on. "A spade has to be called a spade"! Regarding "drool", members over here are mature enough to see what drool worthy or not.

I can only suggest, please don't try & run down anybodys views just because you have different. Learn to respect others views & suggestions, they are all targeted at making the Thar a better vehicle.

The very essence of a public board is "freedom to express". If you like others views, fine. If not, just move over, can't do much!

AWD please do read this thread again, i think you have missed a few posts or have played a blind eye to them. This car has been run down by most people on grounds of IFS,HT and AC. The car is compared to offroad usage and treated like a normal person would never use this car.

What makes you think the company is going to stop all its working and read what a handfull of people on this forum have written and spend crores to make changes. We need to get back to reality.

I am sure more than half the people who have made judgements on the Thar have not even sat in one let alone drive it. If you want a car to your spec and need, build it yourself or be ready to spend a high amount in having the company built it for you. The word here is tailor made to your needs. People here find the Thar expensive, so the tailor made car option will be way beyond.

@ Headers - Please do read this thread from a non TBHPian view and from someone not from a car community. This thread reaks of negitivity to the Thar and biast posts against the Thar. The Thar has always been compared to the older jeeps offroading capabilities. The older jeeps that offroad are modded to suit the need. The Thar pitted against them, is it modded, the answer is no. The older jeeps run on AT or MT tyres, the Thar runs on HT tyres. Some of the Jeeps run Diff Locks and what not, does the Thar run on them, no it does not. Yet the Thar does its obstacles and in the Avalcando (hope i got it right) did the course and did not let down anyone except the old Jeepers. If this is not a step treatment and an unfair judgement call then what is my friend. Give the Thar the same advantages the older Jeeps have except for the solid axel and you will see the older jeeps standing no chance against the Thar.

Have you ever been for a contest where they ask you to give and idea and they will build a toy or bike according to it. The winners idea is taken and incorporated to best suit the feasability of the product in the market. The same thing applies here too. The idea was taken and the company gave two cars. Crde for the city and MDI with the solid axel to offroad. So why hold the CRDE as the serious offroader vehicle.

Thar has no limitations, the only limitations are in ones mind my friend. A person who has never worked on an IFS has been saying that it is no good and has only one solution to solving the issue "Solid Axel". PLease do go try and when you have failed and have given up, do say it is no good. Till then its just a comment with no substance to it. Statements like these make the one reading and the ones who hold the person making the statement in high esteem, believe it to be true and start bashing the car without haveing first hand experience of knowledge of it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st February 2011 at 15:36. Reason: #1: No comments on members please. #2: No comments about moderation. If you feel the need, use report post feature
Old 21st February 2011, 12:46   #968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried a Scorpio in your basement parking space? From your post a Scorp seems to be a better fit.
Thanks all for your opinions.

I tried taking my office cab Tata sumo to my basement parking, it was a photo finish fit, entry and exit from parking slot. Cab driver told mr that since his sumo did not have PS it took some effort in going back & forth while steering.

This boosted my confidence that Thar which has PS should fit in with lesser effort, hence did a quick comparison of dimensions and my requirements (highlighted in green) between my Indica, the sumo which fitted the parking slot and the suggested SUVs

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-picture1.png

Hopefully THar will also get into my parking slot?? (TBHPs expert opinion based on the comparative specs will be very helpful before I sign the cheque)

I have decided to retain my 2006 Indica V2 as it is going good with odo 58K and clocking perfectly well without any issues at all.

I will book Thar once the booking reopens (April 2011??), take the cost adavntage of Thar compared to scorpio and use it for mods.

with this my 2 vehicles should complement each other an Indica & decently modified Thar.

Will come back again with my thoughts of modifiying Thar

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2011, 12:49   #969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai you are sounding Biast against the car
Wow, even I am biased against Thar now? You should re-read all the old Thar threads again. Members who follow my Jeep thread (obviously you are not one of them), know that I was very close to booking it.

Hint: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post2166020 (Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family)

However, last month I had to replace my wife's Santro with i10. My Thar funds got diverted to i10 for now. And I had declared long back in one of the Thar threads that I will not buy Thar without HT or AC. I am not compromising on that stand.

Quote:
but then again your a Mod and the others are well known from the jeep community on the forum, so infractions and being asked to stay away from posting on this thread will not happen.
Unlike you and Janjua, we are critiquing a vehicle, that is what people do in auto forums. Where as you and Janjua are primarily targeting members who are critiquing the Thar. We moderators infract members for attacking other members, not critiquing vehicles. You want to defend Thar, do it, but don't attack people who have a different opinion than you.

Quote:
Please do stop sounding like kids who were promised to be taken to the Cadbury factory and ended up in the corner sweet store.
I almost started taking offense at the comment, then I realized you explained our sentiments very beautifully. Thanks, but why don't you want us to sound like it when that is exactly how most of us feel. Do you want us to lie?

Am I happy with the Thar the way it is? NO. Will I buy it if HT and AC question is answered? Possible, but it depends on my financial situation too.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st February 2011 at 13:00.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:16   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what was your monitory contribution in making the Thar Discverwild, and the rest of the serious jeepers and offroaders?. I can safley say nothing except probably time in typing a post or two here on tbhp. I take it that you are a so called serious jeeper and off roader too, so please do let me know how the company took you for a ride. Please also do feel free to go through the older posts by others and state the faults here. I dont think you have any personal experience with the car, but are only going on what you have read here, please do correct me if i am wrong.

The CRDE is a car that has excellent road manners and fabulous to drive on the streets. The MDI is the one that can be used to offroad with as it does have the older jeeper favourite "solid axel". Please remember a company does not build cars keeping a handfull of people in mind, they think commercial. If it makes money they do it, not on peoples passions or need. There is something called custom built for that and it does not come cheap at all.
Hi Speedy,
Congrats on putting your money on the Thar. You picked it up because it suited your requirements, albeit with a few modifications that you are thinking of.

On the other hand, the miserly me does not wish to blow his money on something that doesn't fit his requirements and then go ahead and make modifications, and then again on maintenance, if (IF) something happens to go wrong with the IFS. I would prefer 'easier to maintain' solid axles for a vehicle that will be predominantly off-road.

One of the reasons why I had the gypsy with me for 9 years.

As for your question on the monetary contribution from me or other jeepers to this project, I didn't know Mahindra was out looking for money. Maybe I would have spared some for them.

Please keep your comments impersonal. And read up all the threads of the Thar (sequentially) in order to understand the issue better.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:40   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, even I am biased against Thar now? You should re-read all the old Thar threads again. Members who follow my Jeep thread (obviously you are not one of them), know that I was very close to booking it.
Samurai i have read the threads of the Thar and your thread too. I said you and others who have written here give me the biast immpression. I did not expect this from you, since i know you were considering the Thar too. I do have my freedom of expression on this forum dont i?

Quote:
However, last month I had to replace my wife's Santro with i10. My Thar funds got diverted to i10 for now. And I had declared long back in one of the Thar threads that I will not buy Thar without HT or AC. I am not compromising on that stand.
You did mention it and have done so again, but by constantly repeating your self will Mahindra build one for you. Even the SA cars that want the Hardtop have to build it from outside. Ac is an option provided for by the dealerships.

Quote:
Unlike you and Janjua, we are critiquing a vehicle, that is what people do in auto forums. Where as you and Janjua are primarily targeting members who are critiquing the Thar. We moderators infract members for attacking other members, not critiquing vehicles. You want to defend Thar, do it, but don't attack people who have a different opinion than you.
We are not targeting anyone here but the points that have been made by many are just being repeated over and over again. Please do read this thread from the first page. I dont think it would be fair to address your posts in someone elses post. I would reply to you only but without pointing fingers. I am not here to defend anyone or a car. I am stateing things that have been put against the car without knowing it and mearly on what is written here by knowledgable people. If you or anyone else feels i am attacking someone, then that is not my intention, you and the others have my appologies for it.

Quote:
I almost started taking offense at the comment, then I realized you explained our sentiments very beautifully. Thanks, but why don't you want us to sound like it when that is exactly how most of us feel. Do you want us to lie?

Am I happy with the Thar the way it is? NO. Will I buy it if HT and AC question is answered? Possible, but it depends on my financial situation too.
I am not saying lie or anything, but dont you think being repetative on the same points get to you after a bit. We all wanted this to be a great car and had our expectations and were let down, but do we stop our lives here, no we dont. Well instead of moving on we have entangled ourselves here itself. This is my only request, that we move on and let by gones be bygones. I do intend to take the issue up with the Top management at Mahindra and that is exactly why i have got myself one and am modding it to my likes and for offroading.

I agree with you totally, right from my experience of buying it, to getting it home, was not exactly a pleasent one, but am i going to keep writing about it, NO. I am going to do things my way and have the Management see it. I am not someone who believes in talking and writing about things, but doing it. Ac is available and Hardtop you can make to your liking. The demensions are the same as the 540 and 550. The car is not exactly on the cheaper side and a person would have to think before he jumps in, but holding the IFS, non company provided HT and AC against the car sounds wrong to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
On the other hand, the miserly me does not wish to blow his money on something that doesn't fit his requirements and then go ahead and make modifications, and then again on maintenance, if (IF) something happens to go wrong with the IFS. I would prefer 'easier to maintain' solid axles for a vehicle that will be predominantly off-road.

As for your question on the monetary contribution from me or other jeepers to this project, I didn't know Mahindra was out looking for money. Maybe I would have spared some for them.

Please keep your comments impersonal. And read up all the threads of the Thar (sequentially) in order to understand the issue better.

I do not blow my money either, i study and research for months before i venture into purchasing a car or even a cylce. I guess its in my blood a Marwadi you see . I agree a Solid axel is cheaper to maintain, but how do you know that the IFS would require more maintainance? Till someone does not use one, we would only be playing a guessing game.

So sir for 9 years you have offroaded with your Gypsy and she is bone stock as she came out of the factory?

You did make it sound as though you'll had contributed to the build of the Thar and the company took you'll for a ride. The company promised you"ll a great jeep and gave you lemon instead after taking monitory help from you'll. The company is not sitting here to please everyone, its here to make money and surely does not require monitory help from anyone.

I have read all the Threads regarding the Thar and understand the issue at large. I would reserve my comments here as i dont want you thinking it is a personal attack or something. I am sorry if you thought things were taken personally against you, It was a general comment on the offroaders having contributed to making the Thar to their liking.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd February 2011 at 18:34. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:08   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture of my car.
thats a sweet ride you've bought bro, congrats.
I would be definitely watching for your ownership review both on-road as well as off-road.

I remember distantly that Allan is working upon this one with you, Is there a separate thread for the same showing us the complete build-up. Please do let me know and would love to subscribe to it.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:14   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Agreed - but no warranty on customization.
With the Scorpio/Safari you get warranty on the entire vehicle excluding tires for about 4 years backed up with a nationwide service network.
What happens to your warranty after you customize.
I know one thing for a fact. For all Indian vehicles, a good warranty cover is highly essential, this includes Maruti & the likes.

Also, if all the stuff being customised was to be given my Mahindra factory fitted, would it still cost 10-11 lakhs? or lesser??
And It would have a Mahindra warranty too.
Here in our Country, we get a 2 year warranty. Best of all is they have given us a Nationwide Toll Free EMERGENCY number if we need help. So I am very happy with MAHINDRA'S professional service and aftersales services. To be honest, I am 100% confident of not needing this emergency service as my Thar is BRILLIANT! It never misses a BEAT
Old 21st February 2011, 14:14   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Headers - Please do read this thread from a non TBHPian view and from someone not from a car community. This thread reaks of negitivity to the Thar and biast posts against the Thar. The Thar has always been compared to the older jeeps offroading capabilities. The older jeeps that offroad are modded to suit the need. The Thar pitted against them, is it modded, the answer is no. The older jeeps run on AT or MT tyres, the Thar runs on HT tyres. Some of the Jeeps run Diff Locks and what not, does the Thar run on them, no it does not. Yet the Thar does its obstacles and in the Avalcando (hope i got it right) did the course and did not let down anyone except the old Jeepers. If this is not a step treatment and an unfair judgement call then what is my friend. Give the Thar the same advantages the older Jeeps have except for the solid axel and you will see the older jeeps standing no chance against the Thar.
If the THAR chooses to pit itself against "older" modded jeeps, so be it. What stops the manufacturers from giving Diff locks or AT tyres ? Pollution norms?

Quote:

Have you ever been for a contest where they ask you to give and idea and they will build a toy or bike according to it. The winners idea is taken and incorporated to best suit the feasability of the product in the market. The same thing applies here too. The idea was taken and the company gave two cars. Crde for the city and MDI with the solid axel to offroad. So why hold the CRDE as the serious offroader vehicle.
Its not the winners idea alone, but lets not get into Pareto Analysis!

Quote:
Thar has no limitations, the only limitations are in ones mind my friend.

Quote:
A person who has never worked on an IFS has been saying that it is no good and has only one solution to solving the issue "Solid Axel". PLease do go try and when you have failed and have given up, do say it is no good.
Did you know "why" I sold my Bolero Storm 8 months and 23000 kms of buying it?

Quote:
This is my only request, that we move on and let by gones be bygones. I do intend to take the issue up with the Top management at Mahindra and that is exactly why i have got myself one and am modding it to my likes and for offroading.
but holding the IFS, non company provided HT and AC against the car sounds wrong to me.
* Everybody does not have access to top management like you sir, the forum is a place where they can express their opinion, cant they?

** I would expect AC and HT from a lifestyle vehicle especially if I have to do intercity rides in comfort.

Last edited by headers : 21st February 2011 at 14:16.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:19   #975
Senior - BHPian

I should post my opinions here...

Speedy generously let me take a spin in the Thar, now shod with Maxxis Bighorn rubber and testicle crushing recaro seats. I loved it...was a super experience having a Jeep with the ride and power of a Scorpio. The image and stance of a jeep is unmistakable and in the darkness I was able to overlook the cosmetic gaffes and panel gap inconsistencies. Honestly - everything sort of got lost in the rush as the jeep took off and I was just along for the ride.

It isn't the most powerful vehicle I've ever driven and it is far from being the best handling. What did tick the box for me is the fact that this is a Jeep with 4x4, good looks and an engine that gives it cruise-ability. Now if I can get one with A/C, immobilizer and a long-range fuel tank then I'll be sorted.

I would imagine I'll have to give up on the more difficult off-roading obstacles purely because I don't want to hurt the vehicle...but I think this is a tradeoff I might be willing to make.

So yes - I am definitely open to owning a Thar...a change from my earlier position. Too bad I have a Gypsy at the moment which is keeping me VERY happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks