Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:56   #1021
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]

Dear Alan - was this done with Maxxis Bighorns? If yes, then it may be OK but otherwise your timing is slightly on the higher side. There are many factors which affect this result.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
this was with the stock shitty tyres
one of the thars offered to magazines for testing
best we could do was that sir,
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:01   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post

I have seen two CRDe thar's at Clicut showroom and they have done 1300+ km and the showroom guys disconnected the speedometer cable before giving test drive.
So i think it is better to get the first service done before taking the delivery
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:51   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sam, Thar DI's are driven, CRDe's are taken in containers, they (CRDe's) may be driven a few kilometers to dealerships. If it is not the case, let us know.

Spike
Spike, my Thar CRDe had arrived at my dealership stockyard and I went there to do a PDI. Reading on the ODO was 508 km and that clearly is not few KM's right?
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:38   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nope, even CRDe is being driven to Kerala on NH-17, these are no local deliveries, we would know, this is a small town. Color (Maroon/Grey) is a dead giveaway and it did have IFS and foot boards. The sighting was done by Sachin whose workplace is along NH-17. There is no chance he will mistake Thar CDRe for something else.
That is bad... Hosur (my town) is home to one of the largest stock yards of M&M at the enterance of TamilNadu. I drive past almost every weekend enroute to a temple. I have noticed all Scorpios and (few Crde Thars recently) arrive in Trucks. All other commercial jeep class arrive on road driven... Even Di Bolero's are driven down, not the STORM's, some strategy!!

Oh - chennai/salem/coimby/etc etc guyz - who has booked a few bottle green Thar Crde's ???
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:22   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Oh - chennai/salem/coimby/etc etc guyz - who has booked a few bottle green Thar Crde's ???
I doubt THAR CRDe is coming to Chennai now - There's no information from anyone, anywhere

Heard the Chennai guys wanted a HT, AC, Climate control, CL and a gypsy beater I'm told - and M&M is working on it I believe
Old 24th February 2011, 10:25   #1026

An interesting story:

A friend of mine from Georgia (the country, not the US State), asked me about the Thar after looking at a picture in my facebook profile. He is an avid off roader in Georgia and usually uses a Defender for his OTR purposes. He has invited me and the Thar to an offroad competition in Georgia. he was very impressed with the specs although maintains that the Defender is better. In his case, it probably would be as his is a V8 petrol!!
Old 24th February 2011, 11:27   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
....My neighbor has bought a Thar CRDe, Silver with BFG tyres and awesome looking alloys before me. What surprises me is that he is such a luxury car freak and would never imagine himself in a Non AC car.........
........He was one who told me once, (when I drove up to him and said if he wanted me to give him a ride) that I am so used to luxury that I can't imagine sitting in a Santro (I own a Santro).
There is no way to deny that a brand new JEEP with a metallic colour shade looks AWESOME. And it is bound to impress anyone who likes the jeep look. I think the looks, stance and JEEP impression actually won over the discomfort level in this case. But for a guy like your neighbour, i really doubt how long this impression is going to last after the initial euphoria settles down. Just like living with older jeeps needs a different acumen, living with a non-AC vehicle for someone so used to luxury does need some change in the mental level in the long run. But who knows he might turn into a true jeep lover too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....In Delhi people can steal your pants if you are not looking, even if you are wearing them..
ROTFL..... Man, you couldn't have said it better!!!

Quote:
..Some day when a HT Jeep with AC comes out, I may come knocking on Mahindra's doors. I really do not care about IFS or solid axle etc., as long as I do not have to get center pins replaced and greased after every trip, and keep going to the A.S.S. with same complaints of khat and what not from front suspension...
Very well said, exactly my thoughts too.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:41   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
drove speedy's thar
loved it !!!!!!
the wider rubber makes for an awesome stance and better road handling
on road 9/10
dont know about ofroad yet
i still in my small head feel a rear difflock and she will kill the competition
Allan pictures please. Did not have the time to see this.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:00   #1029
BHPian

hooray !!The Thar thread has resurrected , I was little disappointed because the thread died for a while , and great to see it alive and kicking .

My plans for the Thar has been put on hold for various reasons ( $$$) , and lack of a proper idea about the AC fitment by the dealers to an ownership report from Jeep captain etc .
By the mean time one of my friend who has bought the Thar , as I expected is little worried about the ride ( who is used to luxury sedans), anyway the bilstein b6 will slove his problem .

Nice to see that a a lot of people who wouldn't even dare to sit in a jeep are going for it and eventually I see the OTR scenario changing drastically alongside the Bling Thars ..

BD sir , spikey ,Vinod or anyone can throw some light on how to get a spacer to even track , is it safe to fix a 3 + inch spacer .
I"m wondering if we fix an AC how will the drive by wire system adapts and regulates the idle speed etc , is there anything to do with the ECU .
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-256ab.jpg  

Old 24th February 2011, 22:55   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
BD sir , spikey ,Vinod or anyone can throw some light on how to get a spacer to even track , is it safe to fix a 3 + inch spacer .
Wow !!, you are actually asking Behram his opinion on adding a spacer and that too 3"+. Go check out the the Alloy wheels for Scorpio thread.
Old 25th February 2011, 06:42   #1031
BHPian

Dude , people are crying out loud even for a protruding piece of metal from underneath the rear seat of a "jeep ", and I don't know what not they are crying about and all to BD n spikey etc , so I think I can cry too.

More over The Thar has "some more" dynamics and oomph on the road than the old dying horses ( at least on the road )so a man who has the know how on the suspension dynamics of the Thar will help in making the rear track even.
Moreover somewhere on the forum BD has advised against even not fixing aftermarket alloys as it may alter the suspension dynamics and the unsprung weight etc .

So the man would be really interested in the rear spacer which will be sort of critical on the Thar which boasts of an LSPV as well , and mind you , "lol" adding a "PETES " we might have to be even more sure about the spacer.

Fixing a spacer on the old horses which hardly move on the road and one which really moves on the road is quite different I guess ,and I think this has never been discussed in Team Bhp before .

Cheers !

PS : Tini we have met in Thoppil years back
Old 25th February 2011, 11:00   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 4*4 addict - HaHa. Good comment on wheel "spacer". Some things never change. . Anyways,

If somebody is really serious, there is a way of doing it. The best way is to redesign the axle. You can also look at changing the design offset of the wheel rim. It involves basic design, development and critical performance DVPs (means design validation plans) + torture validation (means much more than what you can ever imagine) of a wheel rim with reduced offset which must look almost same as the production wheel rim. For Indian "aftermarket" alloy wheel rim manufacturers there is good business here, provided somebody seriously looks at it, seems a little unlikely for people who are used to handing out brochures sitting in auto show stalls sporting bling chrome wheels hanging all over the place. .

Differential offset wheel rims used on the front / rear axles is a very regular feature. I cannot upload the photographs due to high file size.

Dear Slalom - please come out of the "spacer" mindset. With the kind of speeds the Thar is capable of, I would shudder to even think about such things.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th February 2011, 11:57   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Slalom - please come out of the "spacer" mindset. With the kind of speeds the Thar is capable of, I would shudder to even think about such things.
LOL Behram, I can visualize the vehicle coming apart at speeds if such a mod is undertaken.

If possible, please post pictures of the effects of using alloys and shifting of the wheel CL and its affect on suspension etc.

IIRC, Nikhil has a similar thread in the tyre and alloys section - Mods can you help insert the relevant info here?

Thanx
Old 25th February 2011, 12:55   #1034
Senior - BHPian

I think this post will explain in detail

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1530732

the effect of spacers and wheel offset!

Thanks to Shan2nu
Old 25th February 2011, 14:30   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Dear 4*4 addict - HaHa. Good comment on wheel "spacer". Some things never change. . Anyways,

If somebody is really serious, there is a way of doing it. The best way is to redesign the axle. You can also look at changing the design offset of the wheel rim......

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Behram..is there any rear axle from the Mahindra stable (SF or FF) which is a straight fit on the Thar?
An uncle of mine had fitted the rear axle on an FC on to a 2WD CJ-500D.

Most Viewed