Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:45   #1126
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Spike, DB sirs,
why cant you answer arka's queries - talk straight ?
it always seems to be going around in circles, with the immortals like us, spectating with wide open mouths...
Best Regards.
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:43   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Was the brake failure on the DS11 Thar honored in warranty?
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:15   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Shekaran - what queries should we answer? We have cried ourselves hoarse saying the following over and over again.

1. Whatever we introduce in the market has to meet the law of the land. Our product meets this need.
2. We must respect CMVR (Central Motor Vehicle Rules), without which there is no vehicle for us to sell to you and no vehicle for you to buy from us. Our product meets CMVR in BS4 mode, therefore we are selling it out there in the metros of the marketplace.
3. We tried to explain in simple language what type of effort goes into introducing one single part. We chose the part that a normal customer can easily identify with. Anybody can see the "competition" vehicle canopy and decide, which one drapes better, which one has less wrinkles, which one's mounting is not "just buttons", which one flaps less, which one gives you a feel of sitting in a hard top vehicle when you are in the driver's seat.

We have not enjoyed proving it, but we have proved that nobody can match production of a new vehicle because it happens to be correct. We have departments after departments and people after people all working for a cammon goal. There are people out there who can make excellent prototypes, but then it does not make economic / technical sense, even for them to go beyond a couple of vehicles. We respect their capability and their passion but that's about it. We are also nothing great, we are just normal guys who are doing a job, which also happens to be our passion. That's the small difference which makes all the difference. We are fortunate to have a job which we love to do. So?

Strictly in a lighter vein (please!) - if "they" spend even one week with us and share what we go through before we launch a product, many would be seen running from one hill to the other in a zig zag fashion like Tom the cat of the famous "Tom and Jerry" fame when the cartoon ends and Jerry gets the last laugh. Ask Vinod what he went through after he joined. I remember paying 25 paise to watch these Tom and Jerry cartoons on a Sunday morning in Chitra Cinema in Mumbai. I have a lot of these cartoons in my 32GB pen drive and I still enjoy them. There is a similarity here - "Tom never learns"! God, please help Tom!

Oh come on now my dear Sir, I think we have discussed enough. Finally I state - the numbers are talking, out there in the marketplace. I would once again say that vehicle development is a continuous process and we have already progressed what we are supposed to do. Thar is not our only work, it is just a small part of our portfolio.

As far as "going around in circles" is concerned, put 2 and 2 together, get some clue as to what "Vehicle Engineering" is all about, you will get the answer.

The world is moving ahead at supersonic pace, let's all (that means "all") accept it, join hands and be a part of it! .

COME, LET'S PROGRESS. IT'S THE ONLY WAY!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd March 2011 at 21:55. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:21   #1129
BHPian

^^ . BD Sir, when can we expect a Thar in Chennai, my hand are itching to lay my hands on one. Got to check out the much discussed soft top too

Note from Support: Please do not quote an entire large post unnecessarily, it cause inconvenience to our small screen readers.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd March 2011 at 21:40. Reason: See note in the post.
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:47   #1130
BHPian

BD Sir,
with due regards and high respect for your work, i accept what you say, but only partially. i accept the framework you are inside, but this is 2011, sir. not 1980s, where you can say that govt.rules tie up your hands...you can try making a product superior to the rules laid out, and also a product which is irresistable to the buyer...i hope you can do so, in future, atleast.

like dr.jones says, if we cant see the thar, in flesh, how are we to decide ? is chennai not in metro list in india ? again, sorry for contradicting your words.

i am one of those unlucky who could not convince the home dept., without showing the vehicle in flesh...and i no way feel inferior to say this. do you think, the thar is only for 2nd, 3rd vehicle ownership ? not for daily drivers like me ? or do you specifically state that you dont want consumers like me, rather those who can take your words and fall headon in the buying decision ? pls clarify...if i remember correctly, the hitler video of thar launch date had a great response, now another such video is in the making, i suppose, pls take it in the lighter side, sir.

my itching doubt, the thar is projected as a lifestyle vehicle, with lots of customisation options, but the warranty gets void, if we customise ?!? where is the logic ? either you should provide the options with logical prices, or show the vendor who can do so, without voiding the warranty ? the a/c, HT questions are still unanswered from your side, in clarity.

best regards.

P.S: i am also a fan of tom & jerry, having all dvd's of the duo, in my collection. thanks for enlightening the "tom never learns" aspect.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:58   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
BD Sir,
with due regards and high respect for your work, i accept what you say, but only partially. i accept the framework you are inside, but this is 2011, sir. not 1980s, where you can say that govt.rules tie up your hands...you can try making a product superior to the rules laid out, and also a product which is irresistable to the buyer...i hope you can do so, in future, atleast.

like dr.jones says, if we cant see the thar, in flesh, how are we to decide ? is chennai not in metro list in india ? again, sorry for contradicting your words.

i am one of those unlucky who could not convince the home dept., without showing the vehicle in flesh...and i no way feel inferior to say this. do you think, the thar is only for 2nd, 3rd vehicle ownership ? not for daily drivers like me ? or do you specifically state that you dont want consumers like me, rather those who can take your words and fall headon in the buying decision ? pls clarify...if i remember correctly, the hitler video of thar launch date had a great response, now another such video is in the making, i suppose, pls take it in the lighter side, sir.

my itching doubt, the thar is projected as a lifestyle vehicle, with lots of customisation options, but the warranty gets void, if we customise ?!? where is the logic ? either you should provide the options with logical prices, or show the vendor who can do so, without voiding the warranty ? the a/c, HT questions are still unanswered from your side, in clarity.

best regards.

P.S: i am also a fan of tom & jerry, having all dvd's of the duo, in my collection. thanks for enlightening the "tom never learns" aspect.
Dear Mr.Shekaran - you are absolutely correct. You have once again validated what DKG has been saying all along. His very words in post number 1 of the "Thar She Blows" thread were "who needs a passenger car when you have the Thar". The Thar is very much for daily drivers like all of us. I drive it daily. I have my souped up / very fast Bolero VLX but I pick up the Thar keys. It is the first vehicle, not the second or third. I know it. The government has given the industry a set of guidelines. We must meet them. For that I need the CRDe engine with that huge bulk of a catalytic converter with all the sensors with the ECU without which the vehicle will just not meet the emission norms. What do you want me to do? It's either BS4 or nothing. Please understand. After buying the vehicle, the customer is the owner of the vehicle so he is free to do what he wants. Just yesterday I discussed this in minutest detail with another very senior TeamBHPian on the telephone. . THAT'S WHAT THIS VEHICLE IS ALL ABOUT. IT WILL MAKE YOU WONDER - THINK - ACT. Which passenger car can give you that exclusivity? Now are you convinced? If there was BS4 in 1980, people would have put the same aggregates in the vehicle in 1980 also.

Each manufacturer has a set of warranty clauses applicable to it's products, formulated by serious looking and very capable gentlemen behind close doors of conference rooms. The vehicle outlives it's warranty "time" by at least 20 years, isn't it? There is life after warranty also. You can start the "real" fun and games then, nobody prevents you from doing so. Maybe Tom can help because that's his core competence. He is one among the best. I hope you have got what I want to say. . I think Tom has started learning / realizing. He will have to, he has no choice now.

We have siad before that the vehicle as sold is AC ready.

Dear TeamBHP Support Staff - I am sorry I cannot make the post any smaller. You may edit or even completely delete it if you want, no issue at all.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th March 2011, 10:14   #1132
BHPian

DB Sir,

From the first you are saying "THE THAR IS AC READY" But not giving any proper guide lines or part lists and the details of ECM remapping etc. Why we need to give a PM for this ? are you giving different configurations to different customers ?

- Sreejesh
Old 4th March 2011, 10:18   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
3. We tried to explain in simple language what type of effort goes into introducing one single part. We chose the part that a normal customer can easily identify with. Anybody can see the "competition" vehicle canopy and decide, which one drapes better, which one has less wrinkles, which one's mounting is not "just buttons", which one flaps less, which one gives you a feel of sitting in a hard top vehicle when you are in the driver's seat.
Hi DB Sir,

It took M&M 26 years to "Learn" how to make "Raymond Trouser Finish & Drape" Kind of Soft-Top.

w.r.t Belgian Pave Test, effect of Front LSD/Locker, 4WD-Lo/4WD-Hi, Weight of Winch, I'm still waiting.

Also the recent Bank vs Articulation discussion.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 4th March 2011 at 10:24.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:24   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
DB Sir,

From the first you are saying "THE THAR IS AC READY" But not giving any proper guide lines or part lists and the details of ECM remapping etc. Why we need to give a PM for this ? are you giving different configurations to different customers ?

- Sreejesh
HI Sreejesh,

The THAR is AC ready means, there is no ECM remap required to fit an AC.

OFcourse one can always PM DB sir to get a better understanding of the THAR
Old 4th March 2011, 10:38   #1135
BHPian

Thank you headers for clearing one big confusion,Then what about the part list ? I think The parts makes the price difference between dealer to dealer so If I know the exact parts needed then it easy and it will be more cost effective(At least for me like budget peoples).
- Sreejesh
Old 4th March 2011, 10:46   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Shekaran - you are absolutely correct. You have once again validated what DKG has been saying all along. His very words in post number 1 of the "Thar She Blows" thread were "who needs a passenger car when you have the Thar". The Thar is very much for daily drivers like all of us. I drive it daily. I have my souped up / very fast Bolero VLX but I pick up the Thar keys. It is the first vehicle, not the second or third. I know it.
Behram Dhabhar
I agree with you wholly, except the "daily drive". Yes it can be a daily drive if you have secure parking at both ends of the journey, but given the times, a soft top is vulnerable to vandalism and thefts, if left in an unsecured parking; which most of us are forced to use.

Further in my personal opinion, a "Life Style Vehicle" should come with a lot of "life style" option from the factory or authorised agents, all with warranty, otherwise it is just a "utility vehicle, albeit an excellent one. What most of us seek is the type of addons available for Thar in SA or Italy.
Old 4th March 2011, 11:01   #1137
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Thar in Rocky Beige looks HOTTTTT !!! I simply couldn't get over on how handsome the car looks in this shade. Love this colour, and its so appropriate for the outdoors, simply blends in !

The rear suspension has been reworked for an even more compliant ride and its amazing in terms of comfort. You can do a thousand miles sitting in the back (ideally a forward facing seat) and not get tired.

There are flaws as mentioned already in terms of finish etc but it definitely is not a deal breaker for me. Its something I could personally live with because the overall package is simply too good ! This is a car I would love to use to travel all over India and also access places which would require a 4x4. Its a very appealing lifestyle product and I know it will be a big success for M&M. From what I gather from a few in the know the response is overwhelming on the sales front. Great sign, am sure Mr. Anand Mahindra will smile to himself for deciding to release the car locally!

Once they release this car with an a/c I will buy one. It would be difficult to resist a Thar with a/c. The engine is a delight !
Old 4th March 2011, 13:24   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Once they release this car with an a/c I will buy one.
Hi DKG

You meant "IF" and when they release the Thar with a/c , right? Or are you aware of thing that we are not.

by the way I agree with your comment on the Rocky Beige color..I am waiting for the booking to open.

Cheers
Carrot !
Old 4th March 2011, 13:41   #1139
BHPian

Thar @ Chennai India Garage

Spotted the Thar CRDE at the India Garage Showroom in Santhome, Chennai today morning.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image004.jpg

But why is she on BigHorn tyres at the showroom??

Last edited by ram.west : 4th March 2011 at 13:42.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:03   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar @ Chennai India Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Spotted the Thar CRDE at the India Garage Showroom in Santhome, Chennai today morning.
Attachment 511148
Ramesh, Do a quick TD and give us a comparo with your X Safari 2.2 Dicor. Also find out the delivery period and the on ROAD PRICE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks