Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 21:46   #1156
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
...People say CMVR is an excuse for not offering something, but only those involved know what actually it is. Factory fitted HT is a can of worms.

Spike
Tell me about it. When we designed a factory fitted trailer to a truck tractor, there were so many things that had to be designed to make the combination pass the CMVR tests. That was the reason, no HCV manufacturer was making trailers for their tractors then. Not sure if they do even now.

Have not seen the recent set of CMVR rules/specifications for various automotive aggregates/vehicle.

I hope the success of the current version of the Thar CRDe will help M&M decide to go after this model and spent more R&D money on it to make it more appealing to a wider audience.

Last edited by pjbiju : 4th March 2011 at 21:50.
Old 4th March 2011, 21:53   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

Have not seen the recent set of CMVR rules/specifications for various automotive aggregates/vehicle.
What would you like to know?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th March 2011 at 22:15.
Old 4th March 2011, 21:54   #1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
What is the range of quotations that you have received for the AC. Back in Bangalore I have been told INR 48 K for the AC - from the dealer.

Cheers !
Carrot
From 60k to 50k to 40k to 35k - it is a joke, the jokers at the dealership are least bothered , throw any figure.May they are just not interested to sell.Visited one dealership to see the car in Jan 1st week.Have called up Sri Durga, Bhasin ,Koncept and Shiva cars, nobody is able to get exact information.Infact in january Sri durga quoted in writing a price of 6.5l ex showroom for the car alone.
It is frustrating that there is no test drive avl. even now though the cars are on display.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:25   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What would you like to know? Bring it on!

Spike
Spike, you could start with the HT related stuff. We would be able to better appreciate the effort and money that would be required to make it a reality. For M&M that is a strategic decision, which I hope will eventually be taken.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:04   #1160
BHPian

Spikey sir,
if the juggaads like us, can make the roplas HT fit without any squeaks and rattles, i know that you can get a single HT from SA or italy imported and ask any of your vendors to make an exact replica.

frankly speaking, why do any of the HT questions always gets neglected, or are still unanswered ?

i know that if DB sir can give so much info on the canopy, the HT should also be in your table/files. does any CMVR regulations state that the jeep - let alone the THAR Crde should be sold in soft top form only ? pls clarify, and also take my doubts as questions from tom,the cat. i am still trying to learn a lot, lol.

best regards.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:13   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Oops...I think too early for Celebrations, just called India garage , Chennai, the person told they have no idea as of now and MAYBE it will be released in April. The Thar in the photo should have been someone from the neighboring state for a service { Now I know why the Bighorn }
Dr.Jones
@doc, headers : Went today evening to the showroom to ask if the vehicle was available for TD. The rep said it still has some govt clearance to complete and he will arrange it at the earliest and will call me back on the same. He had no clue about the details or the price though he seemed confident that the production of the THAR has not begun yet . Don't blame him either since its still not officially launched in Chennai, was happy to see that he at least knew it was 4x4. The Vehicle had arrived in their stock yard sometime back and they wanted to put it up on display rather than making it sleep there in the dust It's here to stay in the showroom for sometime I guess.

The rep was courteous and showed me the interiors. It was already dark so could not get into much detail. But the first thing I noticed was the off centered Steering wheel. For someone who has been driving cars and a truck all the time, this is something totally new. The canopy seemed good and firm as mentioned by others and DB sir. Regarding the interiors Think more than enough is said and debated over it, so I have nothing more to add (It could have been better).

She does have one broad stance with those huge Bighorn tires on the standard rims, though the wheel caps looked out of place on them.

Will try to give a more detailed write up probably when I get a TD of the vehicle.

Cheers,
Ramesh
Old 4th March 2011, 23:20   #1162
BHPian

i was waiting to see whether i got the same sugar coated "NOT YET" reply from the MM dealers in chennai and pondicherry.

all of them had pamphlets, were excited to know how soon i will buy, all this, but not a single legitimate answer on a test drive, let alone permission to see the vehicle in real.
seems that the dealers themselves are confused on answering questions, on the THAR.

Thanks, dr.jones & ram.west for voicing (y)our side of the story for the THAR, in chennai.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:23   #1163
BHPian

Ac matter can be solved easily in bangalore.
Contact SKS automobiles on bannerghata road and contact Mr. Ramesh(service head).
Cheers!!
Old 5th March 2011, 10:17   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike, you could start with the HT related stuff.
Not clear, what do you want me to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Spikey sir,
No Sir business here please!

Quote:
i know that you can get a single HT from SA or italy imported and ask any of your vendors to make an exact replica.
Smart, very smart idea!

Quote:
i know that if DB sir can give so much info on the canopy, the HT should also be in your table/files.
Shekaran, I can start right from a M6 hexagonal nut and go on till how a chassis is designed and developed, but I feel, doing all that will hardly make any difference.

Quote:
does any CMVR regulations state that the jeep - let alone the THAR Crde should be sold in soft top form only ?
No, it does not say it must be sold in ST only but with the addition of HT the scenario changes. The two models become different with different set of legislation's. I have said this earlier also, factory fitted HT is a can of worms, please understand.

Quote:
frankly speaking, why do any of the HT questions always gets neglected, or are still unanswered ?
Frankly speaking, I had asked for opinion of members on ST + AC and HT + AC
OT-
Quote:
pls clarify, and also take my doubts as questions from tom,the cat. i am still trying to learn a lot, lol.
I am confused now, who is Tom and who is Jerry. I feel everyone here is trying to act as Jerry. IIRC, Jerry was that tiny little character right?

Spike

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th March 2011 at 12:06. Reason: No discussion on moderator actions allowed.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:48   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
In the fourth picture, we had provided an ingenious solution of having a folded flap with a magnet sewn up inside it. It worked on the prototypes but could not be introduced due to large variation in magnet quality. If the magnet slipped, it flapped vigorously, made noise and spoilt the paint.
Dhabhar Sir - why not provide a velcro stuck to the body for the folded overlap flap. With the current design will it not, still spoil the paint ?

Cheers
Carrot.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:23   #1166
BHPian

Spike,

atleast you can show us the specs of a factory fitted HT, if you can post openly. if its a classified doc, leave it.

the italy/SA hardtops seems to atleast visually compliment the THAR, so getting an exact replica would not be a big problem, from your parts suppliers - i suppose. then, you can direct us - consumers - to the corresponding vendors, so it becomes a company approved accessory, which i presume does not interfere in warranty clauses of the THAR. this step can solve all hullaboos/shouting of safety, theft problems like that.

if the HT aspect becomes clarified, 70% of a/c problems/questions also would be solved. if DB sir can specify the make and model nos. of the a/c, the related spares, the part nos., then people can very well decide their options. am sure that the bolero/scorpio product range has similar compatible a/c spares that can compliment the THAR.

i know that you are aware that if the THAR has company authorised HT & A/c options, you would have seen double the bookings as of now.

best regards.

lastly, i am also confused here, reg who is tom and who is jerry ? tom was the cat and jerry was the mouse, clear now ? i think that "jerry does not want tom to learn" in this forum, LOL.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:42   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant some of the major CMVR rules related to HT that you have to adhere to/pass in order to get roadworthiness certificate for a vehicle with factory fitted HT.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:56   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike,
atleast you can show us the specs of a factory fitted HT, if you can post openly. if its a classified doc, leave it.
Didn't get you, are you talking about specs of the Roplas HT?

Quote:
if the HT aspect becomes clarified, 70% of a/c problems/questions also would be solved.
Even with a ST, I feel the cooling will be good enough.

Quote:
this step can solve all hullaboos/shouting of safety, theft problems like that.
Are you sure? I don't think so

Quote:
then, you can direct us - consumers - to the corresponding vendors, so it becomes a company approved accessory, which i presume does not interfere in warranty clauses of the THAR.
HT interferes with warranty of what?

Quote:
i know that you are aware that if the THAR has company authorised HT & A/c options, you would have seen double the bookings as of now.
Price my friend price! What do you think will be a good pricing?

Quote:
am sure that the bolero/scorpio product range has similar compatible a/c spares that can compliment the THAR.

Quote:
if DB sir can specify the make and model nos. of the a/c, the related spares, the part nos., then people can very well decide their options.
I expected someone will come out with a good AC job (this includes dealers), no one is clear on what to do even though everything is in front of their eyes.

Spike
Old 5th March 2011, 13:22   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Shekaran Mahindra customization is offering a Hard top.And it comes with a 6 month warranty as well.And no body modification by mahindra customization voids the warranty.

Here are some details about the hard top by the head of customization himself:

The hard top is a 2 skinned body shell with inner lining and insulation. Ther also is a super structure to support the hard top firmly in place. The hard top also has glasses on the 3 sides and a back door.

This is i suppose the same as the Hard top supplied in SA and Italy.

The cost is pretty high considering that these are made to order and not regular production supplies.

I am sure that if we make a group order for the hard tops then the prices should come down.

Please mail Mahindra customization for more details on the hard top.
Old 5th March 2011, 21:07   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Great news that Thar has finally reached Chennai.
Not so fast DOC..

Quote:
People say CMVR is an excuse for not offering something, but only those involved know what actually it is. Factory fitted HT is a can of worms.
There are other Indian manufacturers / other models in your stable that are able to give what you give and go through the same CMVR - Somehow, this escapes your attention.

Quote:
Tell me about it. When we designed a factory fitted trailer to a truck tractor, there were so many things that had to be designed to make the combination pass the CMVR tests.
Quote:
Spike, you could start with the HT related stuff. We would be able to better appreciate the effort and money that would be required to make it a reality. For M&M that is a strategic decision, which I hope will eventually be taken.
We hope someone from M&M reads this and takes notice of the requirement. If this vehicle is to be a lifestyle vehicle, then it needs to be secure, have AC etc etc which has been stated on the forum many times over!!

Quote:
i know that if DB sir can give so much info on the canopy, the HT should also be in your table/files. does any CMVR regulations state that the jeep - let alone the THAR Crde should be sold in soft top form only ?
ROFL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
@doc, headers : Went today evening to the showroom to ask if the vehicle was available for TD.
Thanks Ramesh for your effort!

Quote:

Shekaran, I can start right from a M6 hexagonal nut and go on till how a chassis is designed and developed, but I feel, doing all that will hardly make any difference.
Please read the THAR threads once again, understand what the majority want and try to offer that Spike. We dont want to know about a M6 hexagonal nut or a M6 Allen bolt

Quote:
Even with a ST, I feel the cooling will be good enough.
Can you keep your things secure in a ST spike?

Spike, we want direct simple english - Will we get HT THAR with AC or NOT? Yes or NO? Clear!!

Note: @ MODS : This post can be deleted if found unfit here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks