Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 12:48   #1186
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Speedy, it is time you started a separate ownership thread for your Thar instead of posting in official review thread. - Support team
Old 9th March 2011, 13:14   #1187
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedy, How much water depth did you take the Thar through?

Am a bit confused obviously you are aware that, any vehicle if taken beyond the permitted depth will end up with the problems that you mention/are facing if water is sucked in though the exhaust and hence we have to go through water without lifting the foot of the accelerator at all, and we can also obviously not make a gear change mid way.

Bottom line taking any vehicle through substantial water is a complete no no unless it is for a very short distance and the exhaust level is maintained above the water level (or atleast the car is being blasted away at full throttle in first gear for the short period that it does go below water).

This is likely to be a major out of warranty expense on a new car. I guess you were just checking out the capability of the Thar in going through water and it was not really necessary (as in on route monsoon scene).
Old 9th March 2011, 13:38   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Speedy, it is time you started a separate ownership thread for your Thar instead of posting in official review thread. - Support team
Sorry Samurai but i do not intend to start an ownership thread at this point. I just thought i would share this point as it was mentioned by someone that the Thar had a great depth level.

I am sorry but would answer ACM only and not post further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Speedy, How much water depth did you take the Thar through?

Am a bit confused obviously you are aware that, any vehicle if taken beyond the permitted depth will end up with the problems that you mention/are facing if water is sucked in though the exhaust and hence we have to go through water without lifting the foot of the accelerator at all, and we can also obviously not make a gear change mid way.

Bottom line taking any vehicle through substantial water is a complete no no unless it is for a very short distance and the exhaust level is maintained above the water level (or atleast the car is being blasted away at full throttle in first gear for the short period that it does go below water).

This is likely to be a major out of warranty expense on a new car. I guess you were just checking out the capability of the Thar in going through water and it was not really necessary (as in on route monsoon scene).
ACM, this was not the first time we have taken cars through water bodies. The crossing was not a lenghty one at all, probably two car lengths. The Thar had done it the first time but stalled and restarted and moved on. The second time it went through a little more deeper patch that when this happened.

The Water level was below the air filter breather level. I did open the air filter box to check and the filters were dry. The exhaust of the Thar also is in the downward direction and the water even a drop trickles down.

The distance would not be more than 2 car lengths and we entered in slow and just as the rear was going in gunned it, at this point the exhaust was in air and not in water. The minute the exhaust went under water she died.

I am not asking for warrenty or anything for my car. I just thought i would inform everyone, before someone tries the same thing and has to pay from his/her pocket.
Old 9th March 2011, 13:45   #1189
BHPian

carrot_eater,
Its Sireesh, Had been to them a couple of weeks back and had given my contact number in case the booking started again, so not a case of wrong info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
This is definately not India Garage - as I have been told atleast 2 more months before the bookings open again. Just wondering if the dealer gave you the right information.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:13   #1190
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Just for info the car is available ex Hyderabad at Rs 711230 on road for the CRDe. They have a silver and wine red.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:44   #1191
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedy thanks for clarifying, looking forward to your own thread and your current problem resolution.

I guess this will sadly serve as a warning for enthusiasts venturing into water with they precious cars.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:59   #1192
BHPian

It seems like the intension was not crossing the water but something else.Like taking to the limits and after the limit it fails,It happens for each and every Object in the world.Nothing special on this case.A normal man with commonsense knows if water enter to the engine it will kill your engine as Simple as it is.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:14   #1193
BHPian

Speedy,
I might be wrong, but I feel there something missing. If you had waded through water as you have mentioned, its not likely to meet this fate. 1. Air filter was dry. 2. You had started gunning the accelerator before the exhaust submerged and not changed gears. 3. 2 car lengths is nothing for a jeep if driven cautiously which you seemed to have done. The possiblity I feel which could have happened is, if the foot is off the accelerator in a jerky movement what happens is, the second the foot is off the pedal the exaust sucks in air or water for a second or so, Iam not sure about the mechanical aspect but I have experienced it. This could have happened if you have had a bump inside the water and as the Thar jumped, your foot would have come off the accelerator for a fraction of time without your knowledge. Since you would have been concentrating on the water depth, gearing, airfilter, gear, torque to wade through etc this might have slipped your mind, just think it over , you might get it. Just a humble opinion. Thanks.
Dr.jones
Old 10th March 2011, 06:50   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The water had been sucked in through the exhaust and made its way to the chamber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Speedy,
I might be wrong, but I feel there something missing. If you had waded through water as you have mentioned, its not likely to meet this fate. 1. Air filter was dry. 2. You had started gunning the accelerator before the exhaust submerged and not changed gears. 3. 2 car lengths is nothing for a jeep if driven cautiously which you seemed to have done.
Doc, please watch the video in first page..I believe the water entered via the intake..thats why it died..

You know very well, how much underwater a jeep silencer can go and keep going

For water to enter via the exhaust in 2 car lengths is not possible especially after watching the video!!!
Old 10th March 2011, 10:09   #1195
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

You know very well, how much underwater a jeep silencer can go and keep going
C'mon...depends on who's driving it also? Every jeeper worth his salt knows what water fording is and 'how to' do it properly. A high revving engine even in barely submersed water will take in huge amounts of water if engine cuts off!! A one-off example cannot be declared generic here.

I agree with Samurai on opening a separate thread to discuss this particular example. Not fair discussing it in the new Thar thread. My 2 paise.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:27   #1196
DKG
Senior - BHPian

On the issue of a Thar taking water in and the engine going bust I strongly suggest people wanting to turn their cars into amphibian vehicles make sure they seal all drive train components to prevent any form of water ingress, seal all electrical components, install snorkels for both intake and exhaust and for those who want to be submerged to shoulder level fit a PTO and install a propeller too. If you want to go into lakes and cross them install ballast tanks and stabiliser fins. I am pretty sure a Thar prepared so will kick the butt of any submarine
Old 10th March 2011, 10:47   #1197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The water had been sucked in through the exhaust and made its way to the chamber. I think the conecting rods and the pistons rings would have also bent in.
If this has happened and filter was dry then it is through exhaust, same thing myself and Robi has encountered

Quote:
Sorry Samurai but i do not intend to start an ownership thread at this point.
Speedy you are one of the few guys who is using Thar for offroad, the real stuff and your long term report is something all would look forward to. So if you can, please do.

Quote:
The Water level was below the air filter breather level. I did open the air filter box to check and the filters were dry.
===================
I am not asking for warrenty or anything for my car. I just thought i would inform everyone, before someone tries the same thing and has to pay from his/her pocket.
^^^ +100! and to DKG's post.

Many of us have seen the Scorpio Crde engine coming to a stop when it touches water, mostly this is due to poor water proofing employed inside the engine bay for the sensors and other electrical. I guess the same thing is happening to Thar also.

In this particular case, if there was a dip there is high chance that speedy would have momentarily lifted off the throttle (unknowingly due to the bounce, happens to all of us without our knowledge). Resulting in water being taken in, result hydrolock.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:43   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Steering away from the water in the engine issue, saw a brand new, Red Thar CRDe in the RMZ NXT visitor parking lot. Front half was covered by the canopy and the rear left as is. It was looking very butch and amazing. Had a real close look and also got a peek into the interiors. They are not as bad as in the pics. It looks pretty decent and even the panel gaps were manageable and not an eye sore per say.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:42   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone educate as to how fast a paper type air filter will dry up after sucking in water?
Old 10th March 2011, 15:51   #1200
Team-BHP Support

More than drying, it will deteriorate if it gets wet, so easy to detect. Ie if that is what you want to know. Basically it should be out of shape, if it got wet and engine was running.

Most Viewed