Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 15:17   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've owned a vehicle with NGT 530 for close to 24000 kms to tell you that. I am aware of the different final drive etc etc.
I thought that the THAR has NGT530R. The same as the Scorpio. Same as the Storm. And I thought the GB was not bad.

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 9th April 2011 at 15:22.
Old 9th April 2011, 20:46   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I thought that the THAR has NGT530R. The same as the Scorpio. Same as the Storm. And I thought the GB was not bad.

Cheers
The GB is definitely not the best in business, Anirudh. I meant the gear shift are to be short and not llong. Get the drift?

Again, if this is a people mover, then the specs are correct, but not as a fun to drive off road vehicle!!
Old 10th April 2011, 14:29   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

After having read through this thread, haven't you realized how to word your questions to get a reply from M&M?
LOL, the main problem is M&M assuming THAR is AC ready due to parts bin approach and sell it. but they haven't tried installing an AC in THAR and see if it is really AC Ready or NOT.
When we see a detailed description on a Canopy, why don't we see the same kinda detailed description on an AC??
Old 10th April 2011, 15:11   #1399
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
When we see a detailed description on a Canopy, why don't we see the same kinda detailed description on an AC??
I had stopped posting on this thread many many pages ago realizing that this was just either for fanboys or jingoistic self praising, but was following it because it is more entertaining than the "Official Joke thread" at times.

One of the best laughs was the canopy description itself, with the "Z" axis adjustments . Now, I might not be an engineering degree topper like some members, but have been around the block a few times to know what works and what does not.

Have a look at the "Z" axis adjusters. Holes drilled into a painted body, at a location where moisture and rain water have one of the highest possibility of settling, and not even a rubber grommet used to prevent rusting. Well, I just cant compete with engineering skills of that level. So, I figured its best to keep quiet and let minds faster than supercomputers do all the R&D, and sit back and enjoy the show.

Waiting for the A/C fitment episode to start now.

P.S. Disclaimer: If holes are drilled before painting, and I misjudged by looking at this picture alone, I apologize in advance. But looking at the rest of the workmanship, I have my doubts.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00098201103041456.jpg  

gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2011, 16:02   #1400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Sreejesh & myself got a absurd quote of 1 lakh , I guess there are quite a few who are dying to know concrete details regarding the ever eluding AC , and being on the forum BD should give us some idea about the same .
Heard that hyderabad Thar has overheating issue, not reliable sources so maybe the owner or his friend can comment on this.

Quote:
Have a look at the "Z" axis adjusters. Holes drilled into a painted body, at a location where moisture and rain water have one of the highest possibility of settling, and not even a rubber grommet used to prevent rusting.
Not only this but Thar has many design loopholes which are an issue in real life scenario, especially if you plan to do offroading with it. The firewall insulation is that fabric kind thingie, which will absorb and retain water and mud. Instead a pitch would have been a better idea. Am not saying its only Thar, even in my swift i have found bad design which causes rusting, but the point is in Thar there are lot many, which ideally should have been corrected since its a new age vehicle

No am not going to start a list to help M&M now, am sure they are aware of all this.
Old 10th April 2011, 16:39   #1401
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Not only this but Thar has many design loopholes which are an issue in real life scenario, especially if you plan to do offroading with it. The firewall insulation is that fabric kind thingie, which will absorb and retain water and mud. Instead a pitch would have been a better idea. Am not saying its only Thar, even in my swift i have found bad design which causes rusting, but the point is in Thar there are lot many, which ideally should have been corrected since its a new age vehicle
For the price they are demanding for a Thar, one would/should expect a little bit more thought in the little things as all the major parts are from their parts-bin anyways.

If this had been somebody's home-made project, I would not have been so critical, but this is a manufacturer (or their representative) making these claims and expect us to spend 7 lakhs to buy it. So my rant is aimed at M&M, and if their representative happens to be a member, that's not my fault. I have nothing personal against any member.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th April 2011 at 16:57. Reason: Please go through Announcement section and understand the rules before proceeding! If you have a concern use Report post!
Old 10th April 2011, 18:31   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Disclaimer: If holes are drilled before painting, and I misjudged by looking at this picture alone, I apologize in advance. But looking at the rest of the workmanship, I have my doubts.
I think you did not see the same part from the other side, I mean on the other side of the mounting. BTW have you seen the same part in Thar DI model / Older 540 / Army 550 etc?

Spike
Old 10th April 2011, 20:48   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
For the price they are demanding for a Thar, one would/should expect a little bit more thought in the little things as all the major parts are from their parts-bin anyways.

If this had been somebody's home-made project, I would not have been so critical, but this is a manufacturer (or their representative) making these claims and expect us to spend 7 lakhs to buy it. So my rant is aimed at M&M, and if their representative happens to be a member, that's not my fault. I have nothing personal against any member.
So i went to book the Thar today, at Shireesh Auto on Hosur road. Handed over the chq to the sales rep, got initial formalities done. After this, the sales guy came to me with the cost break-up (in one of my previous posts, i have mentioned the detailed cost breakup that i got from the same dealer), i was surprised to see that the cost of Thar was increased by 50K! which is ~7%.

This was a deal breaker for me, after convincing everyone in my family on the cost justification for Thar, i was not expecting to get a bummer. So i humbly took the chq back from the sales guy, cancelled the booking and came back home, i simply coupld not digest the fact that there could be a price increase on this vehicle by 50k in a month's time. I understand that there is some impact because of the new budget ... but it should'nt be transferred to the customer in absolute entirety.

So, now on-road price of Thar in Bangalore (including basic fitments like the bull bar and roll cage) is 800000.
Old 10th April 2011, 20:51   #1404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW have you seen the same part in Thar DI model / Older 540 / Army 550 etc?

Spike
No, I have not seen it. Why do you ask?
Old 10th April 2011, 20:59   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
So, now on-road price of Thar in Bangalore (including basic fitments like the bull bar and roll cage) is 800000.
What is the Ex-showroom price (new) in Bangalore now?

Quote:
No, I have not seen it. Why do you ask?
Just wanted to confirm, thanks!

Spike
Old 10th April 2011, 22:25   #1406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what is the on road price without bull bar and roll cage? Its so ridiculous according to me, for a vehicle with bare bone configuration and sub standard interiors! Somehow cant digest the fact!! Sorry for being blunt!
Old 10th April 2011, 23:32   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
i was surprised to see that the cost of Thar was increased by 50K! which is ~7%.
I don't think that extra 50k is due to new budget impact. It seems M&M had made some improvements(fixing few flaws + adding few bells & whistles = V2) for which they are again charging from the customer. Lets wait and watch
Old 11th April 2011, 00:16   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
what is the on road price without bull bar and roll cage? Its so ridiculous according to me, for a vehicle with bare bone configuration and sub standard interiors! Somehow cant digest the fact!! Sorry for being blunt!
I left the brochure in my car, i'll post the breakup tomorrow but if I remember it right, the price should be somewhere close to 7.5 on road.
Old 11th April 2011, 00:33   #1409
BHPian

The more I read of the Thar and the price point and now this price rise the more I get dissuaded from even attempting to buy the car. How much ever good structurally it may be for that price one could buy a good used Off roader with all bells and whistles... :(
Not Fair Not Fair
- salil
Old 11th April 2011, 00:43   #1410
BHPian

Guys just curious, or blame me if i haven't read the thread well. Is the Thar Adventure for sale now? Price?

Most Viewed