Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 19:03   #1471
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
DB sir, one question:

I have seen in owners manuals that we should run the a/c for atleast once a month, so that lubrication will happen. Is this applicable for the Thar also ?
Condor: Sorry to bump this question for DB: IMO all a/cs need to be run once in 15 days or so for them to be charged optimally and work correctly.

I heard that R134 is better than R12 but above holds good!
Old 18th April 2011, 21:39   #1472
BHPian

DB Sir,

Thanks for releasing the AC install procedure for the Thar. I have 2 Qs:

1. Are all the parts mentioned in thw procedure available with dealers?
2. Do the dealers know how to install it the way you have described out here, meaning have they been trained by Mahindra so that they dont learn on our machine.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:29   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tha'Red - the system will work on "on order" basis. Basically almost every part is derived from either Scorpio (power plant base) or Bolero (platform base) so reliability is built into the system in any case. We had no need to reinvent the wheel. Answer to your question 1 is that parts shall be made available on need to supply basis. Nobody can answer your question 2, everybody knows the attrition rates in dealerships. People quit and people join, just for 500 rupees here or there, which is just terrible. We are not alone, every manufacturer has this problem. Do not worry, there are good people also out there. We have started at MH01 location and the system is working well.

Dear all - I use a black AC Thar CRDe. It gives a very different / good feel to the drive. I tilted the seat and calmly slept all the way with my driver, good old "Trimbak Mama" merrily enjoying the cool comfort with power. I have instructed him not to use the horn under any circumstances and drive at a steady pace. He complies with both instructions and still manages to do the Mumbai / Nasik and Nasik / Mumbai stretches in a "cool" three hours flat. .

By the way, it caused a minor traffic jam in the foyer of a 5 star hotel in Mumbai last week when some foreign tourists / local rich dudes / local businessmen types jointly appreciated it with my driver obliging for photographs, whereas I, wearing a jacket, just stood at a distance, watched and quietly smiled. The valet opened the door, I calmly sat in the left seat, smiled / waved to the foreigners and Trimbak Mama drove away. Once on the road, we had a hearty laugh. I had achieved what I always wanted to do.

One of the things I always wanted to do with a black Thar CRDe with a black canopy with black steel wheels without wheel caps was to create a minor traffic jam in the foyer of a 5 star hotel. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th April 2011, 00:04   #1474
Senior - BHPian

@BD, with the first option, you lose the heater correct?
Second option is better for people in places up north like Delhi.
Is there a cutout in the dash for AC button?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - AC INSTALLATION IN THAR CRDE. I am giving herewith, guideline / preliminary information for dealer equipped AC installation procedure for Thar CRDe.

Please give your comments. I am attaching one photograph.
Does'nt the ECU have to be flashed to recognise the AC. Does'nt the AC switch need to be wired to the ECU. Usually when AC comes on at idle, there is a drop in rpm and the ECU compensates for this.

What is the retail price of this kit. Is it even sold as a kit or does it need to be ordered part by part? Whats the recommended labor hours/cost and what abt warranty?

Last edited by Mpower : 19th April 2011 at 00:10.
Old 19th April 2011, 00:15   #1475
Team-BHP Support

mPower, in case of larger Crde engines(like 2.2 safari) there is no change in engine RPM with AC on.

@Behram, I think if you install AC in Thar, you can't have heater too. Is it correct?
Old 19th April 2011, 01:26   #1476
BHPian

I think a oil based room heater which plugs into the cig socket is the solution

Seriously though, all I want is MM to announce that a hard top is on its way. Please?! All that it requires is 5 rectangular plastic sheets, and heat crimps (no joke, I am on verge of going for a car, after thinking about thar for an year) only because of lack of ac and hardtop).
Old 19th April 2011, 07:26   #1477
Senior - BHPian

@BD Sir: Thanks for introducing the AC Fitment and sharing the install procedure with everyone here. I'm sure with the availability of the AC the numbers are definitely going to go up.

One small question: Wouldn't the airflow to the radiator be restricted with placement of two fans?

Also will the AC wiring be recognised by the ECUfor fault code identification. Idle RPM can be compensated due to the governing feature in the ECM.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:16   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Nobody can answer your question 2, everybody knows the attrition rates in dealerships. People quit and people join, just for 500 rupees here or there, which is just terrible. We are not alone, every manufacturer has this problem.
Dear Behram Sir - Why not have the AC fitted in the Nasik plant and avoid all these issues - the warranty will remain intact - no R&D required from the dealer side. Absolute peace of mind.. And as others have asked - how much more will one have to spend to get the AC fitted..

Thank you
Carrot
Old 19th April 2011, 10:30   #1479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Evaporator installation procedure
=================
The first way is to replace the heater coil with a cooling coil.
================
The second way is a much simpler mix and match method.
===========
Here, 2 evaporator units are combined to create one cooling unit suitable for use in Thar.
So Tata bye bye heater if you put AC. Is it the space constrain the reason or is there any other complication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Dear Behram Sir - Why not have the AC fitted in the Nasik plant and avoid all these issues - the warranty will remain intact - no R&D required from the dealer side. Absolute peace of mind..
Yes now that such a detailed design doc is out, why cant this be done at the plant itself. Anyways M&M is charging a bomb for this car, why not add another half a lakh and make it factory fitted also.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:07   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So Tata bye bye heater if you put AC. Is it the space constrain the reason or is there any other complication?
Can be done, for time being it is KISS- Keep It Simple & Stupid

Quote:
Yes now that such a detailed design doc is out, why cant this be done at the plant itself.
Good question, I would love to explain this with a real time e.g.

I needed 5 brand new tires for my trials which took me 7 days for procurement and replacement on vehicle, the same thing I can do it outside "independently" within 1 hour (max). Got the drift?

Spike
Old 19th April 2011, 11:09   #1481
Team-BHP Support

If Mahindra can sell a HT thar with heater and AC for 7L ex showroom, I think many more people will go for it. Then it will be a lifestyle vehicle for all climates, not just for california or bangalore.
As for plastic quality, I find it very weird that a company engaged in manufacturing for so many years cannot get handles which do not break.
forget the review, even ownership reviews talk about handles been broken.

@SPIKE we get the drift. However, you can simply bang your head in frustration, or actually try to "RISE" and fix it from within.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:18   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However, you can simply bang your head in frustration, or actually try to "RISE" and fix it from within.
OT- He he he he, I am awake unlike my other counterparts who are still asleep, so whether it is Rise or Sleep it really does not affect me. Just like all corporates, this terminology must also have been proposed by some MBA dude who must have impressed his big bosses with animated presentations. I rest my case.

Spike
Old 19th April 2011, 11:37   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OT- He he he he, I am awake unlike my other counterparts who are still asleep, so whether it is Rise or Sleep it really does not affect me. Just like all corporates, this terminology must also have been proposed by some MBA dude who must have impressed his big bosses with animated presentations. I rest my case.

Spike

Valid point Spike. This could also be one of the reasons why BD sir keeps insisting that there is no V2. If a set of tyres takes 7 days, imagine a whole make over ....
Old 19th April 2011, 11:46   #1484
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tanveer - I don't want Spike or any of my engineers banging his head in frustration for something which is as common as common sense. Get the drift? I am sure you do. We are wide awake, committed to doing what we have to do and we shall do it. RISE? Of course we are totally committed to it. We won the first prize recently, I think you know that also.

Dear all - as regards AC, the product was introduced at a particular "dress level" (as we call it in "product engineering" terms). However, looking at the "dress level" of work which we had done on it as regards canopy (suitable for AC), instrument panel (suitable for AC), idler pulley supplied in place of the compressor to enable a 1:1 fit (suitable for AC), blower motor and blower assembly supplied (suitable for AC), dash panel passages (suitable for AC), we had mentioned that the product is "suitable for AC" at the launch. Due to the very robust requirement of AC from most of you (we understand, India is either hot or hotter), we have strategically progressed this work of equipping vehicles with AC at dealerships and conducted this activity in Mumbai. Considering that Bangalore has maximum number of customers asking for AC, we shall start with Bangalore shortly. Please send in your orders at the dealerships.

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND THAT IS THE ONLY CORRECT WAY!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th April 2011, 12:09   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

So an AC was planned as part of the "options" list , from inception, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
I would agree, additionally, for the staggered pricing points, now that aircon fittings will be authorized at dealerships.will wait to hear what feedback bangalore owners provide.

Could be a case of production/development team pushing for factory aircon being aware of climatic requirements, but finance/mktg guys deciding to pass on the expense to prospectives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks