Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 11:51   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I guess the interiors would be the same. Cost of injection moulds runs into crores of rupees. If M&M had given such budgets for the development of the Thar, then we would have had better interiors. I only hope that Thar becomes a success and AM listens to customer voice to give us something better later. But I do not expect anything anytime soon. In any case I think the peole buying these in SA may not be lifestyle seekers. And it may not be their only vehicle.
I do not want to harp on about the interiors, but there were two reasons for my request to eagle888:

a. Eagle888 is a highly satisfied owner, hence I wanted to gauge what customers in SA expect from such vehicles. A happy owner would also mean that any picture he provides wouldn't be doctored (hence fair to M&M) to unfairly harm M&M's reputation.
It'd be great if photos of the interiors of the Jeep (the one with the hard top) can be shared in angles (and zoom levels) that are close to that in the test drive, also a picture from the angle Khan_Sultan attached in the above post. It would be much appreciated.

b.Export vehicles generally get a little more QC attention, hence wanted to see if the plastics had better fit and finish. The Thar's dash is supposed to be derived from the Bolero, and I distinctly remember the Bolero's dash being superior. It seems that the Thar either uses plastics of lesser quality (the stuff that goes into the injection mould), or the dashboard is attached with such 'jugaad' that it takes a toll on fit. Also, with all due respect to Mr.Dhabar's explanation about the CMVR rules being responsible for the adapter plate used to attach the dashboard, I don't buy it (purely personal opinion) and I have a hunch that the abysmal fit and in general warped plastic also have to do with poorly designed 'adapter' fixtures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
While the overall interiors could be same, what would be interesting to see if the "quality" of the plastic used is the same. I have seen the invader dash and the quality of plastic used in that looks lot lot more sturdier and the finishing much much better.
For example, when you open the doors of the invader, you don't see this hacksaw cut plastics on the sides -- again, you have to see them in person to realize how BAD they look. Maybe someone can post a similar profile picture from an invader for a comparison shot.
Precisely. Even a Bolero owner can share pictures too.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:56   #587
jp1
BHPian

This looks terrible, it is worser than I thought. Is this what M&M can offer as lifestyle vehicle? I wish Anand Mahindra takes a look inside the vehicle.

With these interiors, it clocked three digit sales?. Is the three digit sales is Thar CRDe alone or it includes MDI?

M&M seems to be knowing something more than all of us when it comes to marketing their stuff. Every vehicle they launched got an impressive sales figures in the recent past.

This is my Bolero slx dashboard, Much better than Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscn2278.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscn2279.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscn2280.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 15th January 2011 at 12:31. Reason: Merging the two posts. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:40   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
With these interiors, it clocked three digit sales?. Is the three digit sales is Thar CRDe alone or it includes MDI?
This is my Bolero slx dashboard, Much better than Thar.
Thanks JP1 for sharing those pics, appreciate the effort and the time taken to do it ASAP.
The pictures actually have something to tell, if you notice the picture Khan_Sultan had attached, it shows the contours (the ones that look like they are manually chopped off) where the Bolero's door pads/door contours fit (the door rubber moulding probably hides it in the Bolero). So basically in the Bolero, one can't really see that side, but due to the Thar's door design one can see it in the Thar.
Hmm, this heightens my anticipation of what's the story with the export version, eagle888 please do the honours .
Old 15th January 2011, 12:44   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

The bolero's pic shows a lockable glove compartment. Why wasn't this carried forward to the Thar CRDe?

EDIT: even notice the good amount of distance between the dash and the wiper control stalk viz a viz the thar.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 15th January 2011 at 12:46. Reason: see edit
Old 15th January 2011, 13:30   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the overall interiors could be same, what would be interesting to see if the "quality" of the plastic used is the same. I have seen the invader dash and the quality of plastic used in that looks lot lot more sturdier and the finishing much much better.
Khan saab, there are two things in this:- quality of plastic, fit and finish of plastics. If you are comparing plastic quality of Thar's dash and Invaders dash both are the same. By plastic quality I mean texture, grains, surface finish etc. The reason I am saying this is, both dash are produced in exactly the same environment with the same setups, yes color may differ depending on requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
It'd be great if photos of the interiors of the Jeep (the one with the hard top) can be shared in angles (and zoom levels) that are close to that in the test drive, also a picture from the angle Khan_Sultan attached in the above post. It would be much appreciated.
b.Export vehicles generally get a little more QC attention, hence wanted to see if the plastics had better fit and finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Hmm, this heightens my anticipation of what's the story with the export version, eagle888 please do the honours .
eagle888 please do that ASAP, let the wrong notion (Export vehicles have special parts, better QC) get cleared. Your dash is grey colored IIRC, I have the pictures too but will wait for your inputs.

Spike
Old 15th January 2011, 13:35   #591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I ONCE AGAIN COMMIT TO ALL OF YOU AND ALSO TO MYSELF ON THIS OPEN FORUM THAT WE SHALL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO ENSURE THAT THAR SHALL SUCCEED IN THE MARKETPLACE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Well, well, well. I can't understand who gave birth to this V2?

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I have never spread any confusion dude, in fact I have relentlessly tried to counter people from spreading confusion and I believe, I know what I'm talking.

Spike
40 pages down, and we are still debating about why the Thar is the way it is.

I think the above quotes from M&M insiders should give us all a clear message. The Thar is the way it is, and we have to accept that. Whatever it takes to succeed in the marketplace is more important that what the consumer wants, and even rumors (hopes?) of an improvement are to be quashed.

So, I guess a lot more "Thar hates Tar" type marketing campaigning is on the drawing board rather than improving fit and finish. It was foolish of us (me anyways) to expect anything else from a highly successful Indian manufacturer.
Old 15th January 2011, 13:58   #592
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

M&M seems to be knowing something more than all of us when it comes to marketing their stuff. Every vehicle they launched got an impressive sales figures in the recent past.
You name 15 different variants by the "SAME ONE SINGLE NAME" and sell them, thats what usually happens

The Thar dash is just a hacksaw cut from the Bolero and pasted, terrible...
Old 15th January 2011, 14:24   #593
BHPian

Nice to see almost 99% of those interested in buying the Thar repeat what I had said on June, 09th, 2010:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1928051

Moving on... Tejas sir, perfect Mahindra logic - Lockable cabins need a lockable glove box while open jeeps don't need one LOL.

Food for thought: If the glove box on the Thar was lockable, could the now vulnerable ECM be placed there?

Last edited by Thar : 15th January 2011 at 14:25.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:24   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at the lift and the IFS on this SA version Thar. For sure looks modified & lifted. What will it take for getting this much lift on the Thar. This is the lift that I would want on my Thar and then we are ready to rock-n-roll.

Attachment 483013

PS: Picture taken from facebook of a friends album showing his friends 4WD's.
Mr.Khan that picture is from the 4X4community forum from south africa.

The reason why the IFS is looking so much high is because the Jeep is being accelerated hard on a steep incline.Also the lift around the wheel arches is due to the Bodylift on the Jeep which is 65mm according to the owner.

The owner is member "Navigator" there.It has not been lifted using towbars' tightening.
Old 15th January 2011, 20:15   #595
BHPian

There seems to be a solution available with M&M.
But is it reserved for customizing dept. only?
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-cover.jpg

They should def. act fast as MANY potential customers here seems to be frustrated with the Dashboard finish.
I guess it should be fitted free of cost to all available Thars (Sold + Showroom pieces) + there should be a cover for Handbrake lever as someone had already pointed out. It can be a Danger for kids.
Old 15th January 2011, 20:28   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Puma Canopies - Manufactures a wide range of quality canopies... Search for THAR

These guys made my hardtop, I am very happy
Hey that looks cool . Can u please tell me how much they charged you for this. Regards
Raja.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:52   #597
Senior - BHPian

could anyone identify this dashboard?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-10012009283.jpg  

Old 16th January 2011, 00:06   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
this looks like an old bolero dash with esteem steering wheel...not sure if this is still fitted in the new one.
Old 16th January 2011, 01:08   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
This definitely looks like the old bolero dashboard. My guess is that this one is being used in the Thar as well.
Old 16th January 2011, 08:45   #600
AWD
BHPian

The local dealers in Punjab, HP, Hryana still do not have a clue on Thar. Very disappointing indeed, what sort of launch is this! The communication between dealers & the company seems farce. Or there's a gap between dealers & consumers, maybe its both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks