Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 16:33   #1246
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Fuel breather was blocked, and due to the pressure built up, the fuel tank went inside. Which lead to inadequate fuel supply on high throttle input. M&M has taken the vehicle for observation for week.
So basically vapor lock leading to fuel supply failure? And who figured it out, dont tell me the local mechanic

Quote:
Pet's would have done this for additional mileage.
This definitely was wrong.

You mean to say the box was fitted and tested for FE mode? After the initial glitch?

So the initial glitch was solved earlier?
Old 14th March 2011, 16:34   #1247
BHPian

That means pet's used fake adds for selling turning boxes.Its too bad for a company trying to sell things by cheating.

If the problem was from the delivery itself then how can a man take the vehicle to an OTR(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...a-5th-feb.html With out any problem) ? or even to take home ? Its hard to believe the owner is such a fool.

headers,
I mean M&M Engineer not the one from dealers's Service Dep Most of them are Just Workshop boys.

- Sreejesh

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 14th March 2011 at 16:37.
Old 14th March 2011, 17:48   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

I'm all ears for the results
It's getting fixed and will be under observation for a week. Guess you will have to wait for few more days for the good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So basically vapor lock leading to fuel supply failure? And who figured it out, dont tell me the local mechanic

You mean to say the box was fitted and tested for FE mode? After the initial glitch?
So the initial glitch was solved earlier?
Got figured out by M&M mech

No the box was never fitted.
I meant the AD in the Pet's website was misleading, which was wrong.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:02   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel breather was blocked, and due to the pressure built up, the fuel tank went inside. Which lead to inadequate fuel supply on high throttle input. M&M has taken the vehicle for observation for week.
This can happen to any vehicle. The fuel breather gets blocked and the fuel tank collapses because of the vaccum created by the drawing out of the fuel. This could have been partially blocked to begin with and could have got completely blocked later on. Too bad.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:02   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
That means pet's used fake adds for selling turning boxes.Its too bad for a company trying to sell things by cheating.

If the problem was from the delivery itself then how can a man take the vehicle to an OTR(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...a-5th-feb.html With out any problem) ? or even to take home ? Its hard to believe the owner is such a fool.

- Sreejesh
you not getting the point.

The vehicle got delivered, used it for few days, he dint feel as if it was performing, so he went back to the dealer for service. After few weeks or so, the mechanic came from M&M and diagnosed the problem. It seems, there was some issue with the actuator, and that got resolved.
After that, he brought the vehicle for Palaghat OTR. Did the trail well without any fuss.

Then he brought it to Munnar last weekend, were the problem started.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:12   #1251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My interaction with THAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
..... he had complained this to the Mahindra dealer. they had a look and don't know what really they diagnosed
......then the owner had taken this issue directly with Mahindra and he had very poor response to his problem. after repeated request to mahindra, they had sent an engineer to diagnose the problem. this engineer couldn't find out the reason or he did not know how to diagnose the problem and the response the owner gets from the engineer is "Sir, what more can you expect for just 6lkh rs?" .....
Actually, that engineer is giving a glimpse of various inner workings of his organization -- the culture, the way they look at this product, what they think of the customer, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
But now I feel very angry , this is the SAME attitude 'WE ' faced 22 years back . The mentality has changed ?
.......[/b]
This attitude is the root of the problem. The 'Sarkari/Govt Office mentality'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
That attitude is quite disturbing & Quite Unacceptable . ....

One the other hand people like DB sir , Spike ,Vinod treat us more than friends , they are Quite helpful .
M&M should take this very seriously , this does makes a difference .
I had mentioned a similar aspect earlier also -- that success of products will come when 'ownership' is truly well entrenched beyond a few passionate individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
......The longevity of this vehicle & further improvement will be a result of the 'decision makers' truly believing in this vehicle and not just few people pushing things around to make this possible.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th March 2011 at 18:13.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:12   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
This can happen to any vehicle. The fuel breather gets blocked and the fuel tank collapses because of the vaccum created by the drawing out of the fuel. This could have been partially blocked to begin with and could have got completely blocked later on. Too bad.
You are absolutely right. But never expected such issues in the first few thousand Kms.

And to add further, the response from the M&M team was really poor.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:20   #1253
Senior - BHPian

I think Biju's point relates to Vikram's headers experience 'Sir - Did you drive around without fuel' - i think what the mech meant was did you bring it to a dry/low fuel condition -

So, does the CrDe engine/fuel system have a known issue when driven with low fuel and air gets sucked in?

Should be a cause for concern because
(1) OTRs cause the vehicle to be at very steep angles and thus cause the vacuum situation.

(2) Even on highways - the owner should be concerned that the last 10odd liters is useless and can cause a air lock.

PS - When is the 'PalaThar' test coming up? Anyone interested to take a bangy/kerala thar down there?

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th March 2011 at 18:23.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:31   #1254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I think Biju's point relates to Vikram's headers experience 'Sir - Did you drive around without fuel' - i think what the mech meant was did you bring it to a dry/low fuel condition -

So, does the CrDe engine/fuel system have a known issue when driven with low fuel and air gets sucked in?

Should be a cause for concern because
(1) OTRs cause the vehicle to be at very steep angles and thus cause the vacuum situation.

(2) Even on highways - the owner should be concerned that the last 10odd liters is useless and can cause a air lock.

PS - When is the 'PalaThar' test coming up? Anyone interested to take a bangy/kerala thar down there?
I once got into a "low fuel situation".
There was some 5-6 liters in tank, and I had to park somewhere.
The parking space was at an incline, and when I restarted, the engine died due to fuel cutoff.
After that I rolled the vehicle to level ground, pumped the hand plunger 2-3 times and then cranked, and she started fine.
Next step we went to the nearest fuel station.

So even if engine takes air, you can prime the hand plunger after putting it on level ground or after putting in more fuel.
Old 14th March 2011, 18:43   #1255
BHPian

Robin,

Now I got the Point .

SVSanthosh,

"(1) OTRs cause the vehicle to be at very steep angles and thus cause the vacuum situation."

I faced this kind of missing in the fuel line after driving through some steep angles at a forest trial at wayanad in my Scorpio.I kept it for ideal for some time and became normal.

- Sreejesh
Old 14th March 2011, 19:09   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I once got into a "low fuel situation".
There was some 5-6 liters in tank, and I had to park somewhere.
The parking space was at an incline, and when I restarted, the engine died due to fuel cutoff.
After that I rolled the vehicle to level ground, pumped the hand plunger 2-3 times and then cranked, and she started fine.
Next step we went to the nearest fuel station.

So even if engine takes air, you can prime the hand plunger after putting it on level ground or after putting in more fuel.
I too have had similar problems, with fuel low and the car parked at an angle on the verge, no fuel go fed to the pump, hence could not start till I pushed the car back to level. From my experience this is a case of "no fuel" in the line and not a vapour lock, which happens only if the system is sealed and no air enters into the tank. In a brand new vehicle, where there are no leaks and the engine is powerful, the vacuum thus created can easily warp the fuel tank if it nor of a heavy gauge construction. Thus it is advisable to have at least half a tank of fuel.

Regarding fuel lock, it can happen to any one if the breather hole in the fuel cap gets clogged. Happened once or twice in my Ambassador - the fuel cap has no door hence it is exposed to the elements, and a mild dust storm followed by very light drizzle can clog the breather hole. In all my other cars, the fuel cap is behind a door, hence safe. As most jeeps have fuel caps open to the atmosphere, it is surprising that others have not faced similar situation.
Old 14th March 2011, 19:13   #1257
BHPian

Hi,
Yesterday i had been to the india garage showroom in Chennai to see the THAR. I was informed by the sales representative that THAR is being rehauled to have a hard top and air conditioner and is likely to be launched here is july. Any ideas guys. Cheers
Old 14th March 2011, 20:36   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I think Biju's point relates to Vikram's headers experience '....

PS - When is the 'PalaThar' test coming up?
The fuel tank and fuel delivery lines need to be redesigned IMO - but why tamper with a working setup that sees a good volume per month for the sake of a few people who do crazy things?
Old 14th March 2011, 20:43   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So is it just a fuel pump issue? ^^ If so why is it so hard for M&M to diagnose the same, wont it show if a scanner is connected?
Yeah it is JUST a fuel pump issue. But how will you detect it in a CRDE vehicle?? it will show in the scanner as rail pressure buildup error or min max deviation error.

Now tell me what will be the behaviour of non-crde engine for the same problem?

And do you think both crde and non-crde will behave same for this problem?

what will you think when all of a sudden the engine shuts off with MIL ON??

@vikram: it has BOSCH pump(CP1H)

Last edited by star_aqua : 14th March 2011 at 20:44.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:47   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Was the filler cap very difficult to remove? Was there a hiss while removing it?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed