Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 16:23   #1816
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Carthik, there is something wrong with your car. Cranks up after how much time (seconds)? Idle rpm changing (hunting) is not normal, which dealership did you go to? They must be skilled to handle this as this engine is pretty much the same. Meanwhile, please check if you accelerator pedal sensor is loose / connected improperly.

Spike
Dear Spike, Thanks for the advise. We got it from CIA Industries in Coimbatore. Already left it with them for service and they just called back saying that the fuel filter is clogged with mud and dust. Solution - they said they'll replace the filter,clean the fuel tank.

I can't believe they did a PDI on this car and they only delivered it to us the day before yesterday.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:28   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You can expect the car to start on one crank and idle smoothly from cold up (mine does). Like Spike said please seek service assistance to sort it out
Thanks DGK, I was wondering because I remeber the TD vehicle din't have this problem. And guess what,not a single person in this dealership knows anything about the THAR.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:48   #1818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
Thanks DGK, I was wondering because I remeber the TD vehicle din't have this problem. And guess what,not a single person in this dealership knows anything about the THAR.
Oh come on, as far as cranking is concerned, it's just yet another vehicle equipped with a CRDi engine. What's wrong with these M&M dealers...they have created such a mysterious aura around Thar as if it comes directly from heaven!
Old 28th July 2011, 10:34   #1819
BHPian

Thanks guys. Just got back the car from service last nite and guess what was the problem? Its was a clogged air filter and fuel filter. How good it is for a June 27th Manufactured vehicle which was delivered on July 26th after a PDI by the dealer. And yeh,they had about 10 different colored stickers all over the windshield which says quality ok and PDI ok.

Thankfully the problem is solved. But I still cannot accept the fact how did it pass a PDI. Feel like battering those who are in charge.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:27   #1820
BHPian

Re: Ritual Tharification - whats mods/accessories after buying a Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I have replaced my rear seats with front facing double fold Qualis 2 seater. Sea of difference for rear benchers. My wife or daughter no longer sit in the front seat. I sometimes feel like a driver
i was concerned on height factor on rear seats as well. would you be able to send some pics or guide to people to could fit this config in blore
Old 29th July 2011, 07:59   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
Thanks guys. Just got back the car from service last nite and guess what was the problem? Its was a clogged air filter and fuel filter. How good it is for a June 27th Manufactured vehicle which was delivered on July 26th after a PDI by the dealer. And yeh,they had about 10 different colored stickers all over the windshield which says quality ok and PDI ok.

Thankfully the problem is solved. But I still cannot accept the fact how did it pass a PDI. Feel like battering those who are in charge.
I suppose your vehicle was 'road-delivered' to your dealer by the manufacturer. That would explain the clogged air-filter and fuel lines; a deadly combination of high speed driving by contract drivers and the lowest quality (adulterated?) fuel.
'PDI' in Indian automobile parlance stands for 'PROPER wash before DELIVERY IMMEDIATELY' and nothing else!!
Expecting your dealer to do anything else is asking for too much!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 19:24   #1822
BHPian

[quote=Janjua;2337202]Dear Fellow_BHPians,

I respect your opinion regarding the Mahindra Thar.

Most of the members posting in this thread have way more knowledge/experience than me about the automotive/technical aspects of the vehicle than I do. Most of your greviances are probably justified as far as the material comforts regarding the Thar go.

My humble submission is, how many of you have driven the Thar for an extended period of time (TD's don't count)?

I know, you might say, we don't need to drive the Thar for an extended period of time and that going by the feedback (mostly hearsay) and also some very minor initial niggles with owners such as me not to mention the AC installment issues, Thar is a flop and that M&M need to seriously introspect on the product that they have launched, a product that was eagerly awaited by many in India.

I know where everybody is coming from. Given the anxious waiting period and the speculations doing the rounds regarding the Thar, when it was finally 'unleashed', most thought it was a damp squib! Was it really?

I absolutely agree that a HT & an AC should have been an option in the Thar. As of now, AC can be installed as per BD Sir's post and a hard top is still an issue.
Now I will get to the nitty gritties.

My 'two cents' (popular Team-BHP lingo) - I don't know how corporates work. But it seems the corporate world is also inflicted by myopic thinking and petty egos. Sometimes, very trivial (but detrimental) issues become a rallying point that snowballs into a great product that had the potential to be a success, not attaining its full potential and thereby, probably suffering failure.

If you ask me, this is exactly what is happening to the Thar. A great product (with shortcomings that are easily rectifiable) not getting the support of the company at all.

Example, AC installation. BD Sir has posted a well informed thread on how to go about it. If you ask the local M&M dealership today regarding the same, they will tell you that they have no information about any AC in the Thar! When I provide the concerned person at the dealership with the information provided by BD Sir regarding the installation of the AC, they requested for some time to get things in order.

Later on, I get a call telling me that AC kits for the Thar are not available from M&M and that the dealership had no idea when it would be available.
This can mean only two things. Firstly, either M&M have a supply chain issue. Secondly, there are people within M&M who are proving to be an impediment for the Thar to be a success. I strongly lean towards the latter theory.

Friends, please drive the Thar for a couple of days and then you would know what it is all about. Bad interiors, lack of AC and a HT option are a given. But tell me, how many of my 'Jeeper' friends can sincerely boast of a Jeep capable of being driven without a hitch across India? Highway cruising (due to IFS) is a dream. Serious off-roaders will argue about the lack of articulation and the vulnerability of the IFS is a serious set back. My argument - Thar can best be described as being a combination of a true-blue tarmac mile-muncher and a very serious off-roader. Some compromises have to be made to make it a solid all-terrain vehicle. Exactly what BD Sir and his team have done.

It is a sublime ride that gives me immense pleasure everytime I drive it.
Januja,this is what many a driver wishes to experience when he drives a vehicle,and I am happy that you have found a good old buddy in your thar.The view of Kasauli and the Simla hills must have been a treat from the vantage point of your Thar.

I will be attending the AKC & the EXAMM this time. I will be driving down to Pune from Chandigarh in my Thar. I have no trepidation regarding my trip because I know the Thar is more than capable of doing this and my mind is at ease.
Wishing you all the very best and hope you have a safe and enjoyable ride.Looking forward to your frank and unbiased comments,on this thread, once the trip is over.
Old 30th July 2011, 19:41   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi DKG,

Two Years ago this statement would have been considered, blasphemy, reeking of inexperience, lack of a better choice, even petty jealousies.

So if a MM550 gets a CRDe engine and IFS, it becomes "most" everything 4wd?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...odern-4wd.html

Regards,

Arka
Arka,I was beginning to think that you were active in only discussions which were technical-nice to see you here. As a novice in engineering, what little I know about track width, differentials etc. are almost entirely because of you and a few others,who have taken pains to explain things. I must confess that I have secretly wondered why the present DI engine, an avatar of a tried and tested pedigree; cannot be refined enough to come closer to the CRDe engine in terms of power (someone had voiced the same thought earlier). If it could, I would without any qualms go for the DI instead of the Thar crde, as differentials ,track width etc can be improved, as you have suggested elsewhere, eventually. My idea of a jeep is a rugged /durable go anywhere vehicle,with adequate power ,minimum comforts ,reliability in Indian conditions,relatively cheap to maintain and a willingness "To minister and not to be ministered unto"(Read--Not too dependent on pampering').Luxury,for those inclined to it,is available in the wide range of sedans,suv's and coupes in all price ranges. My 2 paisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
As a matter of fact, Im not residing in any of the Metros/big towns. BS3 is street legal here but still no word on Mdi.
I think Mdi 4x2 is being pushed in markets where vehicle usage is semi-commercial, desert taxis, ~15 people dangling out of a Jeep, etc.

On another note I sincerely feel that Thar Crde is not being bought by the consumers who are well aware, sesitised, informed about the various issues with the vehicle & that its a half-baked, R & D failure, not properly tested, safety concerns, etc. Therefore a majority of people on tbhp who earlier thought of buying the vehicle, resisted after proper Test drive reports & usage reviews appeared. This is the advantage of being aware & well-informed, all thanks to fora like Tbhp.
Thanks, Can you comment on whether the Thar 4 wd DI is a better buy for those who are willing to rough it out.

Last edited by Amartya : 30th July 2011 at 20:42. Reason: Changed the order of the quoted post and the reply to make it easier to read. Thanks.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:15   #1824
BHPian

Can somebody explain when Bolero DI Turbo is available in BSIV version and can be bought from a metro city then why not Thar DI Turbo?
Old 1st August 2011, 12:08   #1825
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Bolero DI Turbo is BS3, last I checked (on Saturday at Koncept Noida).
Only the Bolero CRDe VLX is BS4. Where did you come across this?

Anyways, on Saturday, I had another opportunity to TD the Thar CRDe in Noida. Had AGAIN gone with my chequebook to book this vehicle. But, after the test drive, I just did not have the stomach to put my money into this!

My observations this time around:
- The Engine is refined (for a Jeep) and smooth in it's Power delivery and driveability. Overtaking is a breeze.
- The ride is a bit bumpy, but that is something I expect.
- The handling is less than average. There is absolutely no feedback from the Power Steering and I'd be quite scared driving this at 3 digit speeds. The braking is just about okay. Cornering does not give you any confidence since the rear did not feel planted at all.
- The interior specs are appalling. Every single switch and lever is flimsy and of a plastic quality worse than the cheapest chinese toys. The Soft Top Flaps about and creates so much noise!!!

Whilst, I could have lived with the bad interiors etc, the ride and handling are a deal breaker for me. I know there is no other competitive offering in this price range, but this vehicle just does not deserve the moolah they are asking for.
I also expect, that in a year's time, a lot of enthusiastic people who bought the Thar, will see their enthusiasm wearing thin, and would put them up for sale in the Used Car Market. Maybe then...
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 13:30   #1826
BHPian

Anyone have a PDI for the Thar specifically? Mine arrives on the 7th or 8th and I would like things specific to the Thar that I should look for apart from the regular PDI

Thanks,
Manas
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 15:32   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Anyone have a PDI for the Thar specifically? Mine arrives on the 7th or 8th and I would like things specific to the Thar that I should look for apart from the regular PDI

Thanks,
Manas
- Take it for a spin and ensure all rattles are resolved. A new Thar is plugged with 3M tape at several places to ensure a rattle free drive.

- Check the body for rust/corrosion. especially near the holes provided in the floor of the car. If found, have them treat it and paint as well.

- check the rear door for consistency in closing. Some of us have been lucky to have it working properly through out while other are having a love/hate relationship with that.

- My fender screws were not bolted properly and one did not have screw at all

- As per Spike, Thar's are delivered in trucks unlike DI models which are driven on roads. Make sure you have very less clicks on your vehicle. Mine came with ~400 clicks and I was not bothered too much since I wanted the car to be delivered.

- Check for wheel alignment. Mine had a extremely bad alignment.

- Check the body for paint damage. There was one place in the body where the paint was scrapped and was hand painted. I noticed it when I was hand-washing the vehicle

- There were at least few 100 gms of screws and bolts lying around underneath the cabins carpeting. They don't care to remove it. Wait.

- Check for rusted hood latches that can squeal like 100 rats. Most of the squeals can be heard while you gently sway the car while the engine is off.

- My Thar had suspension bolts that needed tightening even post delivery. You could hear the thud when going thru potholes.

I frankly don't trust dealers PDI for Thar. Please have your own checklist and be around when they plan to do PDI.

Cheers Manas and Congrats again for your new Vehicle. 8000 clicks and my initial lust has not wandered away.

This is an awesome vehicle as long we get to know it well. Definitely not a fill it shut it forget it kinds.
BlackRaven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 18:33   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
... but this vehicle just does not deserve the moolah they are asking for.
+1 to that - while the Thar is a sincere and commendable attempt at a (relatively) practical/powerful Jeep, it just does not deserve a 7.5L on-road price tag (especially since it does not come with A/C or hard-top)!! I agree with you when you say that this is by virtue of no other competition existing in the market today.

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st August 2011 at 18:38.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:56   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
This is an awesome vehicle as long we get to know it well. Definitely not a fill it shut it forget it kinds.
Thanks - Thats EXACTLY what is putting me off - I dont see the point in buying a BRAND NEW vehicle and pampering it all the time.

@Black - Wonderful points and observations
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:56   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thanks - Thats EXACTLY what is putting me off - I dont see the point in buying a BRAND NEW vehicle and pampering it all the time.

@Black - Wonderful points and observations
Thanks Headers.

and folks from Chennai, I would sincirely advise you away from Thar until the A/C is factory fitted. I drove Thar without A/C to Chennai couple of times and it was just unbearable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks