Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 15:31   #1891
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear AVR - the answer to this one is very straightforward. Thar has to meet CMVR, means it must meet BS4 on chassis dynamometer (M1 category vehicle - white number plate) with "a" and "b" values defined clearly. Try and meet "a" and "b" with offroad tyres and see what emission you get. THERE WAS NO CHOICE. Further, who will do additional development of a tyre for such volumes?

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
agreed behram
but instead of " who will do additional development of a tyre for such volumes? " shouldn't it have been " inspite of such volumes, we have developed a vehicle, COMPLETE in all aspects? "
i remember arka mentioning in one of his posts about the absence of a simple but mandatory (for offroading) skid plate for the Gear Box.
But what i would like to know is if this vehicle was built to be an offroadder, then it should have all characteristics of a true 4x4 beast not just plonk a relatively new age enigine into a tripple decade old body and say "gives your lifestyle a full 4x4 twist" .
for me, one vehicle or one million vehicles in the productiond line, it should serve the purpose of being made.
meeting the necessary regulatory requirements is an OEM's challenge and the guys there should see to it that they take up the challenge and win it by satisfying people by giving a "NO COMPROMISE" baby.

We should never have a reason for not doing something which has to be done.
Instead it should be " we have succeded in our mission inspite of facing all these problems"
cheers
Wild Child
wild child is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 18:08   #1892
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Dear AVR - the answer to this one is very straightforward. Thar has to meet CMVR, means it must meet BS4 on chassis dynamometer (M1 category vehicle - white number plate) with "a" and "b" values defined clearly. Try and meet "a" and "b" with offroad tyres and see what emission you get. THERE WAS NO CHOICE. Further, who will do additional development of a tyre for such volumes?

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
Mr. Behram,

While I don't know much about CMVR and its technicalities, my question was not about offroad tyres. If I understand you correctly, it seems the Xylo has better emissions and CMVR compatibility with 'All-Terrain' tyres than a Thar. And money was actually spent on finding the compatibility of the Xylo with A/T tyres. AND hence (not necessarily) no money could be spent on additional development doing the same for the Thar as the volumes wouldn't justify that? Wow! Am amazed at how things work/are explained!

Agreeing with wildchild's post above, I feel the above reasoning that you have given works fine for internal memos and meetings at MM. As an outsider and possibly a customer someday, I have no reason to care what the manufacturer's constraints are especially when prices are in the range of 7L+.

Regards,
Aditya
AVR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 18:12   #1893
jp1
BHPian

I have a strong feeling that Thar will loose the current Crde and it will get replaced with M2DiCr engine just like what has happened to Bolero Storm. I think that makes more sense to Mahindra.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:33   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THERE WAS NO CHOICE. Further, who will do additional development of a tyre for such volumes?
Maybe all choices were not explored ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
If I understand you correctly, it seems the Xylo has better emissions and CMVR compatibility with 'All-Terrain' tyres than a Thar. And money was actually spent on finding the compatibility of the Xylo with A/T tyres. AND hence (not necessarily) no money could be spent on additional development doing the same for the Thar as the volumes wouldn't justify that? Wow! Am amazed at how things work/are explained!
You got it right buddy!! BTW, There is a XYLO 4wd coming soon with HT tyres!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I have a strong feeling that Thar will loose the current Crde and it will get replaced with M2DiCr engine just like what has happened to Bolero Storm. I think that makes more sense to Mahindra.
I have a strong feeling that a Bolero Storm 4WD is "NOT" coming as it will kill the THAR CRDe.

THAR CRDe will never have a factory HT, AC and lockable cabin and hence I can never lay my hands on one

But who cares for the numbers and enthusiasts anyways...

And Mahindra After Sales is just thinking about R I S E
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 13:14   #1895
BHPian

Some pics of the repositioned number plate(yet to be finished) and the holes that were left open after the rear seats were shifted. I had them closed
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-no_plate_3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-seats.jpg  

Last edited by nitin_80 : 20th September 2011 at 13:24. Reason: Posting more information about the customisation
Old 20th September 2011, 14:27   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Some pics of the repositioned number plate(yet to be finished) and the holes that were left open after the rear seats were shifted. I had them closed
hi nitin
the location of the new number plate seems to be practical and good looking. Nice to see that you have upgraded the tyres to goodrich. BTW, when the tail gate is fully opened, the tyre seems to foul with the protection grill of the right side tail lamp. or doesn't it?
also, the second picture doesn't show the location where the rear seats were shifted to. can you please post them?
cheers
Wild Child
Old 20th September 2011, 14:41   #1897
BHPian

Hi @wild child, Yes this position seemed a lot neater and practical compared to the existing billboard like number plate. I can also go ahead and remove the rear fenders now. No issues as such with the tail gate touching the grilles. Opens fine.
I am re-posting the pic of the rear. The circles marked in red are the locations where the seats were fixed earlier. They were moved to the positions just in front of it. The circles marked in green are the holes that they had left open due to which water was getting in.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-seats2.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 17:10   #1898
BHPian

Referring to the pictures posted by Nitin 80, has anybody noticed the rust on the frame holding the softtop (lower right corner of the photo)? It seems to be a common problem with Thars' as I have it on mine too on the same spot!

All things said Thar extremely prone to rust on the black painted areas- bumpers, spare wheel bracket etc.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:04   #1899
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be interesting to know the numbers that the M&M customization units does annually.

It is to ok to do one off showcase units and maybe even 20 a year, but to be really usefull numbers upwards of 100 per year would be the least.

Thar offers that opportunity, and a customization option brouchure should be a part of the Thar Calalogue especially if it is being projected as a lifestyle vehicle.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:12   #1900
BHPian

so now that the XUV 500 has arrived big time, is there any news about prices on Thar coming down and getting an AC and/or HT? Mahindra, you must give due importance to this jeep as well coz once you can price it right, I think M&M's portfolio would cover a wide range of market, right from high-end small cars to the SUVs.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:25   #1901
BHPian

Screen viper for thar does not have smooth play, perhaps quality issue. Would a maruti windshield viper, assuming similar radi viper, be good fit. Would one need to boost viper motor as a result. Also the angle of shield is higher in maruti than the thar.
Did anyone try this mod out.
Old 21st November 2011, 16:47   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Partially agree to this, people in office called me mad, when they saw me with DwArF in office parking lot. Same people came and spoke about Thar! its a different thing that they are not happy with current version and a different thing i might have influenced them to this jeep thing.

DKG please dont pull in Gypsy into the whole equation. There are many of us who has used it and its at a very different league on a highway. I would love to do whole of India in one once i put an AC into it.
I second you on that brother ;-)
Old 30th November 2011, 23:10   #1903
BHPian

Heard from the grape vine that Thar V2 is going to be launched in Feb 12. Factory-fitted air-con with a multi-link coil-spring rear suspension a.k.a. Scorpio..drool
Old 30th November 2011, 23:27   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna
Heard from the grape vine that Thar V2 is going to be launched in Feb 12. Factory-fitted air-con with a multi-link coil-spring rear suspension a.k.a. Scorpio..drool
Also heard hard top is going to be offered as well !!!!
Old 1st December 2011, 22:24   #1905
BHPian

I am thinking of buying a Thar, ask the dealer to fit the AC and get a hard-top done outside. Should I wait till March 2012 to check if a Thar V2 is in the offering?

Also, suggestions for any good workshop / person in Chennai for doing customizations (hard top, better seats, change interiors etc.) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks