Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 13:34   #1951
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Got call from sales representative from Mahindra, apart from AC the new version would include cosmetic changes. Changes in dashboard, seat fabric, openable windshield, 4 seater setup, new colors and optional factort fitted hardtop.
He said the dashboard will be something similar to the new generation bolero.

As ortopilot mentioned, it will hit the showrooms somewhere in 2nd or 3rd week of March.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:07   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortopilot View Post
The proposed improvements are said to be

1) AC
2) Engine Immobilizer
3) Multi-link Coil Suspension at the rear(Possibly)
4) Hard Top (Maybe)
That is great news
Hope they will offer the AC in the soft-top version also. I mean it should not be like you get the AC only in Hard-top models !
Old 25th February 2012, 20:33   #1953
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
Got call from sales representative from Mahindra, apart from AC the new version would include cosmetic changes. Changes in dashboard, seat fabric, openable windshield, 4 seater setup, new colors and optional factort fitted hardtop.

As ortopilot mentioned, it will hit the showrooms somewhere in 2nd or 3rd week of March.

Wow...I hope this news you heard is true !!
Old 27th February 2012, 02:22   #1954
BHPian

Quote:

@Divesh Thanks for the info, this is brilliant news. Could you speak to the sales rep and inquire about the upgrade of the rear suspension, I remember reading that it would have Multi-link Coil suspension in the rear
Old 27th February 2012, 08:57   #1955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How did they manage to overcome the CMVR regulations for these highlighted items? I hope it is true, but I am skeptical about the claim from the sales rep until I see it in real.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 11:45   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thar V2 wishlist reminds me of the Jon Bon Jovi song.. Living on a Rumor or is it Prayer :-)

As of now, I believe it is only AC and immobilizer.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:41   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pratheesh - yes, this is something that only we shall always remember. The full night working of 24 April 2010 in Nasik, then starting from Nasik at 3AM, going directly to Lonavala for the EXAMM and conquering EXAMM is something we shall never forget.

But, most importantly, it is the CONTENT of what we did to MH01V521 that made all the difference. No other Thar vehicle is what MH01V521 was on that day! The performance was shattering, it was there for all to see and experience and I still remember Sharath's words in the post saying - "the Thar just took off". It was meant to take off! .

MH01V521 WAS THE REAL THAR CRDe! . I really wish that that our great CMVR allows it to make it to production some day!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I understand what you must be feeling, Mr. Dhabhar. I have been wanting to tell you this. I don't know if you remember, but sometime in November last year, I had asked you if I could take my brand new Thar around the country without paying much heed to the engine running-in. And your reply was, "take it directly from the showroom and drive it 1000kms on the same day, it's meant to do that kind of thing". Well, I did just that! Actually better than that! I did a solo road trip across 8 states, covering a total distance of 9000kms; Bombay to Shillong and back!

Detailed report of my trip will be posted soon, but there's something I'd wish to tell you.

The Thar was taken through all kinds of roads including the sands of Rajasthan and the treacherous roads of the Northeast. I must say, the vehicle is a marvel and performed really well. There were no breakdowns, no punctures and I got an average mileage of 18 to a litre.

What did bother me was the lack of knowledge of the mechanics at Farm and Industrial....Guwahati, who failed to do a complete first service of my vehicle. They gave me a lame excuse saying they hadn't worked on the Thar before. My repeated pleas to make them understand that it was no different from a Scorpio or Bolero fell on deaf ears. The service manager there, Mr. Deepak Talukdar finally did only the oil changes and asked me not to take any chances by getting other things done. He simply wasn't confident of his mechanics. I fail to understand this predicament!

Anyway, on hind sight, if I had coaxed these guys to go on with proper service, I probably would have had a different story to tell. My Thar may have developed issues, due to their inexperience. So, now, I am back in Bombay already due for my second service, waiting to get my faulty instrument cluster changed, which I believe hasn't arrived yet from the company. Apart from this, my Thar also has a weird sound coming from the front-right suspension, which seems to fade away when I get the vehicle washed, only to resurface after it is dry. Anybody know what the problem is? I also have to deal with 'smoke' in the cabin, which started half-way during my trip. I hope the Mahindra guys in Bombay will be able to fix it.
Trueintrepid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:50   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Thar V2 wishlist reminds me of the Jon Bon Jovi song.. Living on a Rumor or is it Prayer :-)

As of now, I believe it is only AC and immobilizer.
@4x4addict One can always dream I agree that A.C. and Immobilizer seem the only possible realistic upgrade, I personally am looking for the upgrade of the rear suspension.

However rest assured that the A.C. and immobilizer itself will see a price rise of around 40K
Old 27th February 2012, 17:36   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
I also have to deal with 'smoke' in the cabin, which started half-way during my trip. I hope the Mahindra guys in Bombay will be able to fix it.
hi there

critical area where smoke probably "leaks" into the living room of the thar is near the bonnet inside the cabin! i had this complaint in my 540. get the rubbers in that area checked.

cheers
Wild child

Last edited by wild child : 27th February 2012 at 17:42.
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 18:12   #1960
BHPian

Quote:

There were no breakdowns, no punctures and I got an average mileage of 18 to a litre.
Wow...that is the best FE that I have ever heard across at least 2 dozen thar owners I have personally interacted. Most of us get between 10 and 11 with A/C in the city and add a KM more in the highway.

My personal best was about 13 kmpl with a light foot. (100% highway).

Could you confirm your methods of testing and how you achieved such an awesome mileage?

P.S - I have a Thar CRDe and I am assuming yours is also CRDe and not a Thar DI.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:45   #1961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand what you must be feeling, Mr. Dhabhar. I have been wanting to tell you this. I don't know if you remember, but sometime in November last year, I had asked you if I could take my brand new Thar around the country without paying much heed to the engine running-in. And your reply was, "take it directly from the showroom and drive it 1000kms on the same day, it's meant to do that kind of thing". Well, I did just that! Actually better than that! I did a solo road trip across 8 states, covering a total distance of 9000kms; Bombay to Shillong and back! Detailed report of my trip will be posted soon, but there's something I'd wish to tell you.

The Thar was taken through all kinds of roads including the sands of Rajasthan and the treacherous roads of the Northeast. I must say, the vehicle is a marvel and performed really well. There were no breakdowns, no punctures.
Dear Trueintrepid - of couse I remember you and the conversation that we had. Your kind comments above once again prove to me that the vehicle has delivered exactly what I knew it would deliver to you as a customer. It has "walked the talk" as I always knew it would. You have once again made my day. What more can I say except a humble "thank you". . Enjoy your Thar and drive safe!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th February 2012, 21:27   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Wow...that is the best FE that I have ever heard across at least 2 dozen thar owners I have personally interacted. Most of us get between 10 and 11 with A/C in the city and add a KM more in the highway.

My personal best was about 13 kmpl with a light foot. (100% highway).

Could you confirm your methods of testing and how you achieved such an awesome mileage?

P.S - I have a Thar CRDe and I am assuming yours is also CRDe and not a Thar DI.

You are right, I own a black Thar Crde and you heard me right, I got a whooping 18 to a litre on the GQ.

I followed this method of testing the fuel efficiency at least 5 times, if not more, during my entire road-trip.

I would tank-up, which is about 60 litres of diesel and wait till the needle stick in the fuel indicator touch the red mark. That would be about 44 to 45 litres of fuel consumption up till that point. Thereafter, as per my understanding, is the reserve, which is about 15-16 litres. I would then pull over at the nearest pump and tank-up again. So I would end up topping 44 to 45 litres, since I'd have 15-16 litres already in the tank. Now coming to the calculation.

I'd have covered in this duration about 780 to 800kms. That is about 18 on an average. I couldn't believe my eyes when this happened. I immediately text'd a friend, who also owns the Thar, telling him about the fuel efficiency.

Another bit, I have discovered that in the city i'd have covered about 312 to 320kms and the needle stick is at the half-way mark. So I assume that's about 22-23 litres of diesel, so the fuel efficiency could be anywhere between 14 to 15 in the city. The city figures however need another couple of rounds of testing. I haven't been driving the Thar as much after coming back to Bombay. I will keep you posted on this in due course.

I also own a ten year old Palio 1.2, which gives me around 11 to 12 with the AC on. And a bullet, which has undergone major mods at the air filter level and that gives me about 33 in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Trueintrepid - of couse I remember you and the conversation that we had. Your kind comments above once again prove to me that the vehicle has delivered exactly what I knew it would deliver to you as a customer. It has "walked the talk" as I always knew it would. You have once again made my day. What more can I say except a humble "thank you". . Enjoy your Thar and drive safe!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I am glad I made your day, but that said, I haven't been too happy both with the dealership that handled the delivery of the vehicle or the service centres, which so far have yet to prove any capability of fixing this machine.

I had ordered the instrument cluster before I left for the road-trip and it's yet to arrive at the NBS service centre at Reay Road. What's bugging is despite my numerous reminders, they are yet to procure this.

The dealership I bought the Thar from did not bother to do a good PDI and I got my Thar with the rear logo missing and some visible riveting marks on the sides. G3 Motors - Nerul are bad with after sales and have salesmen talking to customers in the most uncouth of ways that has ever been known. Having said that, they don't seem to care about anybody or anything even if you threw a name like Goenka, Nookala or for that matter Mr. Mahindra for reporting grievances. The so-called customer feedback doesn't mean a thing for these guys and instead they boldly ask you to go-ahead with the complaints. Such is the treatment meted to a customer who's spent close to 8 lakhs of hard-earned money.

I am aware that you are no longer with Mahindra, and in no position to make a change. But I have made a conscious decision that this will be my last Mahindra vehicle ever and will also not recommend it to any of my friends.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th February 2012 at 08:07. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 27th February 2012, 22:51   #1963
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@TrueInterprid:

What you have achieved truely deserves a Nobel Price for fuel efficiency if there is something like that. Cause the Thar has a 2.5 Liter engine with 4.3 gearing and the aerodynamic qualities of a brick and to achieve an average of 18 kilometers is a remarkable and commendable achievement.

Just imagine if even 25% of the drivers in India could get to this level, India could become self sufficient in crude and no longer have to depend on oil imports.
I only rarely manage to get this even in my 1.3 DDIS Ritz.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:06   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would tank-up, which is about 60 litres of diesel and wait till the needle stick in the fuel indicator touch the red mark. That would be about 44 to 45 litres of fuel consumption up till that point. Thereafter, as per my understanding, is the reserve, which is about 15-16 litres. I would then pull over at the nearest pump and tank-up again. So I would end up topping 44 to 45 litres, since I'd have 15-16 litres already in the tank. Now coming to the calculation.
Sir: Did you stop at auto cut off or after 45 litres? This tank up thing is not clear to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@TrueInterprid:

What you have achieved truely deserves a Nobel Price for fuel efficiency if there is something like that. Cause the Thar has a 2.5 Liter engine with 4.3 gearing and the aerodynamic qualities of a brick and to achieve an average of 18 kilometers is a remarkable and commendable achievement.

Just imagine if even 25% of the drivers in India could get to this level, India could become self sufficient in crude and no longer have to depend on oil imports.
I only rarely manage to get this even in my 1.3 DDIS Ritz.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 08:42   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir: Did you stop at auto cut off or after 45 litres? This tank up thing is not clear to me!!

There is no auto cut-off in the Thar. What we have is a fuel gauge with a red marking at the end. So when the needle stick of the gauge reached this point, I was aware that I had exhausted 44-45 litres of diesel. I also knew I was left with 15-16 litres of fuel in the tank. I would top-it immediately at a nearby station and not wait till the end. Hope this answers your question.

Most Viewed