Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 00:50   #2281
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Very happy tonight. Got my Thar today after lots of confusion and miscommunication but finally got it just after 9PM from the dealership! I am loving it.

Best regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_2951.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_2952.jpg  

Suedehead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 14:52   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
....I have been unable to participate in most offroad events for the simple reason that my wife cannot handle sitting in the vehicle and my daughter throws up in it. ..... I am slowly (and expensively) modding the vehicle so it is comfortable for my family to travel in. So until then, can't even take the Thar offroad really. And that drives me crazy.....
This is indeed sad. Being one of the very few 'family-oriented' jeepers, i so far haven't made any jeep trip without my family, which from the last August, includes a new member, who has just turned 1 year. And i always thought that the THAR would probably be much more practical and ideal to the needs of people like us, who just want to travel to some quiet, beautiful, exciting and remote places with the family with a no-frills and practical 4wd vehicle.

By the way, just stumbled across this one yesterday
The 'rise' and fall of mahindra thar
Kandisa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 14:12   #2283
XD2
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this forum and to the Jeep world. For as long as I can recall, I've been a Jeep fan. I'd have loved to rebuild a Jeep, but have neither the expertise, nor the time to make that possible.

The thar for me, bridged out that gap, and helped make this dream come true. For that I am thankful to all who were a part of making it possible.

To me, it feels a like a remarkable vehicle. Agreed its a 'tad rough, the gears might take some getting used to, but as a whole package, it delivers exactly what I was looking for. An incredible 'go anywhere' package. A real jeep. I am not an 'offroader' (yet), more of an 'explorer' who enjoys getting off tarmac now and then, and it suits the purpose perfectly.

There are small issues in the manufacturing, and the A.S.S., from what I have experienced, leaves a lot to be desired, but these are things I was prepared for. As long as the Thar keeps going steady, I can live with the service support.

It is now my daily drive, and I'm actually 'loving it'.
XD2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 21:23   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
Hi All,

To me, it feels a like a remarkable vehicle. Agreed its a 'tad rough, the gears might take some getting used to, but as a whole package, it delivers exactly what I was looking for. An incredible 'go anywhere' package. A real jeep. I am not an 'offroader' (yet), more of an 'explorer' who enjoys getting off tarmac now and then, and it suits the purpose perfectly.

There are small issues in the manufacturing, and the A.S.S., from what I have experienced, leaves a lot to be desired, but these are things I was prepared for. As long as the Thar keeps going steady, I can live with the service support.

It is now my daily drive, and I'm actually 'loving it'.

Funny story about the gears. I could see my regular driver smiling away to glory when he saw my new Thar so I handed him the keys so he could get a feel too. All smiles, he got in and could not put the vehicle in reverse. I was shocked! Arguably he's used to my Innova and City but he's an experienced driver with 12 years behind the wheel! It's the gears mate. They do take a bit of getting used to. The 1st and Reverse in my case.

I also had a bit of a horror story today. I got the vehicle with the half top and the full top packed neatly with all the bits of pieces. Anyway's with the rain and all I realised the full soft is perhaps a better idea till Diwali or so. So me and my driver and my office engineer took out the soft top and broke all the holding clips in the process. Then we bolted the rods and support beams. Midway, we realised one of the assey rods is missing along with a whole bunch of nuts, bolts and washers. So off we drove to the local Navi Mumbai dealership. To my absolute horror, the said they do not know how to put the top on, didnt have clips and the rear assey rod either! So here I was with a topless Thar in the middle of Mumbai monsoons and no inclination to drive to the city dealership 40 kms away.

Neverthless, after two hours of struggle; I managed to locate a local mechanic who had the top clips and put back the half top spot on. As a matter of fact, a better (read tighter) fit then the original fitment.

My first lesson with the Thar. Dont muck around! It aint as easy as it looks. It's a pleasure to drive with the odd squeak and harsh bang when you go over a pothole. It's just metal against metal. I did read a fix somewhere but can't remember it.

I do have a question for the Thar guru's. When you engage 4H or 4L; is there any light that comes on the instrumentation telling you that the vehicle is in 4x4? I dont and I am wondering if it's a fault.

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 23:01   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead
My first lesson with the Thar. Dont muck around! It aint as easy as it looks. It's a pleasure to drive with the odd squeak and harsh bang when you go over a pothole. It's just metal against metal. I did read a fix somewhere but can't remember it.
Is it really so bad when you go over potholes suedehead?
It is sooo better compared to the older jeeps, atleast that was my experience when i had the thar with me for a couple of weeks.
I don't even want to say something like gyp*# here
Quote:
I do have a question for the Thar guru's. When you engage 4H or 4L; is there any light that comes on the instrumentation telling you that the vehicle is in 4x4? I dont and I am wondering if it's a fault.

Best regards.
Nope, it does not work. I remember reading the same in the official review too.
So you don't have to worry.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 21st August 2012 at 23:29.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 23:36   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Is it really so bad when you go over potholes suedehead?
It is sooo better compared to the older jeeps, atleast when i had the thar with me for a couple of weeks. I don't even want to say something like gyp*# here

Hello Starter,

Bad over potholes is so subjective! . How do I put it? It is like a small clang of a noise and a mini body shudder. A Pajero (no fair comparison but trying to relate) will go over the same with a thud as opposed to a clang. The steering shudder and shake will more or less be almost (read slightly less) the same and I know it is not a fair comparison all. A scorpio will also almost behave the same as the Pajero with regards to noise. I might hear a louder thud but no clang.

I am guessing it is the comparitively weak panelling, door and B pillar. However, in saying that my roll bar and B pillar does not have a supporting bracket as I saw in Mr. K's review. I am not sure if they do it any more or someone forgot to put it in before delivery. (I am checking separately with my dealer.) Not sure if the bracket will reduce the "Clang".

Best regards.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:24   #2287
Distinguished - BHPian

Next time when you approach a pot hole just push the roof top up with your hand - chances are that most of the noise that you now hear will disappear. If so the roof edges need foam packing. You are right about weakness and gaps between B pillar and door and this causes lot of mock noise. It did in mine and after this fix is silent. IMHO getting a fiberglass hard top cabin would be the wisest option.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:19   #2288
BHPian

I used to get the clang as well.

I have the FRP top and also have re-enforced the b-pillar. My top has metal piping which comes along the line of the b-pillar and when the rear is bolted, the b-pillar does not creak anymore.

Another fix I did before the hard top was to cover the b-pillar with foam packing and then a rexene cover. This helped a bit as well.

I think the only way to improve the shuddering of the body would be to replace all the metal inserts (I hope you know what part I am talking about) between the body and the chassis with something else. I visited Bolton Concepts the yesterday and they had some plastic inserts (from Rugged Ridge) for the tub which I will get replaced first week of Sept.

One other problem I have had is the beading in the door frame has fallen off. I now need to go and get a new beading put in. Is there any way to secure it so I does not come off again?

Also, in the rain, I have water coming into the rear from the bottom of the tailgate. What would be the best way to fix this?

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:55   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post

One other problem I have had is the beading in the door frame has fallen off. I now need to go and get a new beading put in. Is there any way to secure it so I does not come off again?

Regards,
Manas
I had the same problem, for which I took it to the Mahindra Service. The mechanic told me that the clips for Thar is a very bad one and keeps coming off. He asked me to wait. Next I saw him coming with his hand full of Scorpio and Bolero clips. He replaced them all and to my surprise it fit very well. No problems since then.
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:04   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Next time when you approach a pot hole just push the roof top up with your hand - chances are that most of the noise that you now hear will disappear. If so the roof edges need foam packing. You are right about weakness and gaps between B pillar and door and this causes lot of mock noise. It did in mine and after this fix is silent. IMHO getting a fiberglass hard top cabin would be the wisest option.
What are the options available for fiberglass hard tops. There is some "bimbra" hard top kit available for 50 k which i saw on tbhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-hard-top.html'

Mileage : can anyone tell me the mileage they are getting in city/highway with ac on/off

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 22nd August 2012 at 14:10.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:22   #2291
BHPian

Just went to book a Thar for my friend. The guy at the showroom told me that there is a delay in production because they are making few more cosmetic changes. Should be out in 2 months. No details on what the changes are. If rumors are to be believed, Mahindra will come out with the Hard Top next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
What are the options available for fiberglass hard tops. There is some "bimbra" hard top kit available for 50 k which i saw on tbhp.
There is also Hyderabad Hard Top and I hear Mahindra will be launching their own in sometime. I have a feeling it will be somewhat like the two company owned Thars doing rounds in Mahindra Adventure events. Like this one

Last edited by ashishy : 22nd August 2012 at 15:28.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:03   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Just went to book a Thar for my friend. The guy at the showroom told me that there is a delay in production because they are making few more cosmetic changes. Should be out in 2 months. No details on what the changes are. If rumors are to be believed, Mahindra will come out with the Hard Top next.

There is also Hyderabad Hard Top and I hear Mahindra will be launching their own in sometime. I have a feeling it will be somewhat like the two company owned Thars doing rounds in Mahindra Adventure events. Like this one
the link which you have given , isnt that the Bimbra hard top ? I hope the cosmetic changes also include a new dashboard with better quality and which lets you put the windshield down (wishful thinking )
Old 24th August 2012, 20:10   #2293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
With the rain and all I realised the full soft is perhaps a better idea till Diwali or so. My first lesson with the Thar. Dont muck around! I do have a question for the Thar gurus. When you engage 4H or 4L; is there any light that comes on the instrumentation telling you that the vehicle is in 4x4?
Dear Suedehead - Thar production canopy is engineered for Thar application. There is an engineering drawing for it. I conceptualized, designed, developed, prototyped tested and introduced it. I had set three requirements. 1 - it must be black in color and not fade. 2 - water must not come inside. 3 - it must not wrinkle. I have also met the requirement of using it with AC also. If you look at the inner lining above the front seats, its intention is to give a good "feel to the soft top experience", offered for the first time in India. It will also interest you to know that Thar is the first soft top Indian vehicle to be offered with factory fitted AC in this market segment. One of the design intents was complied by providing thin velcro strips to align the flaps next to the tail gate to prevent water and wind noise from intruding. There are plastic strips inside the lower ends in both sides to prevent flapping and curving, if you put 12 mm diameter aluminium pipes in their place, canopy will behave better. For one vehicle, you can do it. In comparison, the half top with which you got with your vehicle is just a very poorly made dealer fited accessory, it is not engineered. I had told you in one of my previous posts, now you have seen and realized the difference yourself, so thanks. I once again request you to refrain from using non-engineered products, irrespective of who offers them to you. Please use production canopy, there is value in it.

Borg Warner transfer case does not have provision for 4WD Hi / 4WD Lo indicators. Reason is simple, it is cost. In my opinion, it is not a compulsory feature as 2WD Hi and 4WD Lo are located at the extreme ends of the gear lever travel. We can debate this point to death for nothing so spare me the agony all of you, but in the interest of simplicity also, I would not advocate having it, it serves no great purpose.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 20:26   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
In comparison, the half top with which you got with your vehicle is just a very poorly made dealer fited accessory, it is not engineered. ...
Sir, IMHO, one should de list such dealers. Whats the point of making a customer unhappy especially when he [the dealer] is the voice of the customer to the company, AND he [the dealer] goes about selling fake stuff?

I have seen this with many dealers much to the agony of the customer, especially if he [the customer] is not well informed!

Quote:
it is not a compulsory feature as 2WD Hi and 4WD Lo are located at the extreme ends of the gear lever travel. We can debate this point to death for nothing so spare me the agony all of you, but in the interest of simplicity also, I would not advocate having it, it serves no great purpose.
Sirji Tusse Great Ho
Old 24th August 2012, 20:40   #2295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, IMHO, one should de list such dealers. Whats the point of making a customer unhappy especially when he [the dealer] is the voice of the customer to the company, AND he [the dealer] goes about selling fake stuff? I have seen this with many dealers much to the agony of the customer, especially if he [the customer] is not well informed! Sirji Tusse Great Ho
Dear Vikram - it is not a dealer issue. He is told to sell it because it is somebody's MOP (Measure of Performance). If the MOP is total sales realization, irrespective of the product that the guys sell, this is going to happen. The only person who can put a stop to this is the final customer. If he refuses to buy, things will automatically improve because the guys will have no other choice but to engineer their offerings. I know that today they have no choice because engineering their product offerings is nobody's MOP. .

Siji, Main "Renchoddas Shyamaldas Chanchad" / "Phunsukh Wangdu" Nahin Hoon! Tohfu Kabool Karo! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks