Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 21:39   #2926

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Hi All.
So got my Thar today. Quite an eventful experience.
The left front head lamp grill (accessory) was slightly tilted.
Small indentation on the left rear wheel arc. Nothing worth refusing delivery and hand over. The finish isn't much to write home about anyway, and we all know that.

They handed over the papers in a plastic bag. So I say " Could I have a pouch or something to keep them safe". They say " Sorry Sir, but the Thar doesn't come with a pouch to keep the papers in!!" Escalated the matter to make the manager see reason.
They gave me a Bolero pouch. Happy Me.
A little puja thali, sweet gesture, and a squash racquet, since I'd mentioned it in the form under "Sports Played". Very touching.

Sit inside, after photo ops an all, crank, drive for a 100 yards to realise that the "Check" light on the display panel remains lit up. Turned back to the showroom, consulted.
They said " There must be air in the diesel line so drive it till your office, and if its still there, we'll come and fix it". Ok. Drive it to office, fill in another 10 Ltr s of diesel in addition to the 10 Ltrs that the showroom guys put in. The light remains lit up. Amidst all this, I try and use the wind screen water spray and half of it comes on the foot pedals!
I bend down to see that the pipe is undone, so plug it back.
I call them, they pick it up, take it back and reset the software and I finally get my Thar. What started as an 11 am delivery becomes a 7 pm one, none the less, it feels good.
Tomorrow a Pioneer Blue Tooth receiver comes in, and in a week the 245/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns.
vipinmishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 23:25   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new Thar! And LOL! Love your writing style. Please put up an ownership thread. Which version is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmishra View Post
They said " There must be air in the diesel line so drive it till your office, and if its still there, we'll come and fix it". Ok.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:17   #2928
BHPian

Hi,

I am also looking for a Thar . Are the seats you have put in comfortable for Long drives , Say over night journeys for adults at the back and the front , especially if its wife and kids . Can the seats be reclined . Also pl do tell about the total cost of the entire seat modification.

I want to make a Thar which can be my daily drive vehicle , to do 5-6 OTR events and year , do family trips twice a month or so . Seeing that the Duster is dusted bring smiles . I need the best seats that can be put on the Thar .

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2014 at 00:14. Reason: Incomplete quote removed.
Old 6th March 2014, 22:41   #2929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshbhaskar View Post

Hi,

I am also looking for a Thar . Are the seats you have put in comfortable for Long drives , Say over night journeys for adults at the back and the front , especially if its wife and kids . Can the seats be reclined . Also pl do tell about the total cost of the entire seat modification.

I want to make a Thar which can be my daily drive vehicle , to do 5-6 OTR events and year , do family trips twice a month or so . Seeing that the Duster is dusted bring smiles . I need the best seats that can be put on the Thar .

Thanks
Rageshbhaskar

Please check out the rear seats of the Indica that I have installed in my Jeep - Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2014 at 00:14. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 7th March 2014, 15:41   #2930

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congrats on the new Thar! And LOL! Love your writing style. Please put up an ownership thread. Which version is it?

Glad you got a few laughs out of my post.
Its the Crde BS IV version.
Shall put up an ownership post soon.
Cheers.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:11   #2931
BHPian

Congratulations Vipin. Hope you love it as much as we all do.
obaidhakim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 17:21   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Quote:

Rageshbhaskar

Please check out the rear seats of the Indica that I have installed in my Jeep - Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe
Hi Rageshbhaskar,

Can you please share some images of how you have attached the rear seats to the wheel well?

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2014 at 00:14. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 8th March 2014, 11:30   #2933
BHPian

Just installed Swastik Viji's bumper and a warn VR800 winch on the Thar Crde.

Now with all that weight the clearance between the tyre and the fender has decreased. I end up brushing the tyre against the fender on even small bumps!

I read somewhere that the torsion bar adjustment can sort this out, can this be done at home (fairly equipped)? or do i have to visit the A.S.C.? Called NBS at Reay rd, they dint seem to be very enthusiastic about taking it up. Told me its quite a long process and might need a day or two. Is that true?

Any garages in south mumbai that might do this well? Any leads?

Is there another way to do this? If BD sir could shed some light.

Last edited by obaidhakim : 8th March 2014 at 11:44.
Old 8th March 2014, 16:34   #2934
BHPian

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20140308_162344.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20140308_162354.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20140308_162406.jpg

Pics put up for the experts to judge the issue and help!!
Old 8th March 2014, 17:34   #2935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
PS: This has become my daily ride now, the Duster and Brio are gathering dust. Its actually soundless, absolutely soundless except the wind noise, even on roughs.
Dear Himadrimondal - sorry for a delayed response, work exigency does not leave time for other things! I loved your "PS" above, therefore I have quoted it. I always knew it. I knew that your "other vehicles" will gather dust. I knew that it will become your daily drive with the three "S"s - Smooth Silent Surge of Power! So thanks! .

Dear Obaidhakim - you can certainly set the suspension height but you must lift both the front wheels off the ground by supporting the frame on stands / lift. The torsion bar must be in "no load" condition when you do this work. If you do it with the vehicle on the ground, you will never get correct result. By the way, your tires are just too big and heavy for this application.

Dear Vipinmishra - some things (and people) in life never change, your experience seems to reinforce the fact that - "hum angrezon ke zamaane ke jailor hain, hum nahin sudhrenge"! Read the next paragraph. I am enjoying the last laugh!

Dear all, including the "guys who are supposed to matter" - "by the way" (ahem!), I'm told that Thar CRDe is the most sought after hired vehicle in Goa @ 2500 bucks per day! The small state is full of them!

HAHAHA! HAHAHA! HAHAHA! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Mumbai guys, send me your contact numbers by PM, let's catch up. I work in Pune but Dadar Parsi Colony is where my homesweethome is!
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 07:20   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
Attachment 1216599

Attachment 1216600

Attachment 1216601

Your Thar looks cool with the tyres! But after seeing this, I'm not sure if the torsion bar setting will completely solve your problem... I think the tyres are too big. But I'm sure with the right setting it will make some difference. I think removing the fenders will also help..
Old 10th March 2014, 11:38   #2937
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

I want to make a Thar which can be my daily drive vehicle , to do 5-6 OTR events and year , do family trips twice a month or so . Seeing that the Duster is dusted bring smiles . I need the best seats that can be put on the Thar
Thanks
The rear innova seats are actually small but a perfect fit to the thar, more so because of the folding mechanisms. What I have further gone and done is to add more foam to give it a home sofa kind of a feel. Even the front seats in stock does not have much of under thigh support. Here too I have added some more foam for under thigh support.
The result is my son and my wife takes turn to use the rear seats, sometimes both behind and only me in front.
I am just back from two back to back trips, Sikkim and Simlipal NP in Orissa. Sikkim was a 20 hrs continuous drive with my son sleeping, playing with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Himadrimondal - sorry for a delayed response, work exigency does not leave time for other things! I loved your "PS" above, therefore I have quoted it. I always knew it. I knew that your "other vehicles" will gather dust. I knew that it will become your daily drive with the three "S"s - Smooth Silent Surge of Power! So thanks! .

Dear all, including the "guys who are supposed to matter" - "by the way" (ahem!), I'm told that Thar CRDe is the most sought after hired vehicle in Goa @ 2500 bucks per day! The small state is full of them!

HAHAHA! HAHAHA! HAHAHA! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Mumbai guys, send me your contact numbers by PM, let's catch up. I work in Pune but Dadar Parsi Colony is where my homesweethome is!
DB Sir, thanks so much for the gesture. I have always remembered your golden words of keeping everything to stock specifications. The tyres and alloys are of stock specs, even the seats I have fitted are on stock holes, the same where the bench seats were bolted to.
My wife and son just loves this jeep, its really smooth and silent with no vomiting tendencies for my son which was a concern in the Duster. Lastly we all love the Head Turner looks, thanks to you again.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 10th March 2014 at 11:39.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 11:54   #2938

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]
Dear Obaidhakim - you can certainly set the suspension height but you must lift both the front wheels off the ground by supporting the frame on stands / lift. The torsion bar must be in "no load" condition when you do this work. If you do it with the vehicle on the ground, you will never get correct result. By the way, your tires are just too big and heavy for this application.
Hi Behram Sir.
Its awesome to be able to connect with you via Team Bhp.
Are you suggesting that the Maxxis that Obaidhakim has installed (245/75R16) are too big for the Thar Crde or simply too big to be on the hubs while tweaking the torsion bar? I am to decide on the tyre upgrade soon and am conflicted in my mind with regard to these or the Yoko Geolander AT (255/65R16). I'm well aware of the trade offs, but if we were to look at them from a purely "Right Size" point of view.
Many Thanks

Quote:
Dear Vipinmishra - some things (and people) in life never change, your experience seems to reinforce the fact that - "hum angrezon ke zamaane ke jailor hain, hum nahin sudhrenge"! Read the next paragraph. I am enjoying the last laugh!
I'm glad that I could get you a few laughs.
Intend to write a detailed experience of the initial ownership experience soon.
Look forward to interacting with you Sir.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can only do that once my current status of "Newbie" is upgraded. But shall do so once I can. :-)
Old 10th March 2014, 11:55   #2939
BHPian

Quote:

I'm no expert here, but if you're using the 245/75/r16 maxxis tyres then your torsion bar needs to be set a little higher. Your jeep stance should be at least flat on both ends and not leaning forward in any case. I'm using the same tyres although I changed to alloys due to the tyre touching on the inside during full turns.

This isn't an exceptionally big size considering that its been used on the Mahindra Getaway as stock size, however it does need a fair amount of tweaking before you can get peace with the setup. Considering that this is the only closest size available in MT tread you got no choice just like buying the thar because of no choice in that category.

The one thing you can do is remove the fibre fender and spend another 15-20k probably to fit the wrangler type 6inch fenders which fit along the fender bodyline and will not break easily. Or choose to leave it without fenders and have fun throwing mud on everyone around you as well on yourself. You may be okay with the latter since you're still using stock rims and the tyres won't be out of the fenders too much.

Good luck!
Old 10th March 2014, 12:07   #2940

Quote:
Just installed Swastik Viji's bumper and a warn VR800 winch on the Thar Crde.
Hi obaidhakim.
Thanks for the congratulatory message. I'm super kicked about the Jeep right now.
And thats a nice looking bumper.
Any particular reason why you chose this one over the one available at Prad @ Banglore?
https://www.facebook.com/Prad4x4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks