Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 09:18   #3016
BHPian

@maheep...glad that the Jeep bug has finally bitten you If you have a dedicated parking space (not apartment parking), go in for an Italian hard top, the rear is removable (in 30 minutes) and look-wise, none come close!
Old 21st July 2014, 13:13   #3017
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post
...The moment I saw it, I actually forgot most of what happened in last few days....
.....I know this is not right but well, I think this is people like me who encourage Mahindra to keep doing what they are doing.....
...........They told me that they have a black Thar in stock and if I want I can buy that right away. ...
....I am hating myself but I guess I am going to take the hit!
Oh man, see i told you this is not Mahindra's fault, its all because of that 'jeep' thing! And they have a black THAR in disposal because i think you are destined to have one Go ahead and take the plunge, if you are lucky you might as well get a 'better' piece having lesser niggles.

Quote:
......However, I was wondering, if there is a way we can keep this canopy portable/folding....
From the experience of owners, unfortunately, folding the top and putting it back is not a simple exercise. Heck, someone mentioned that in Noida there ia some auto garage guy who charges 300 or so just to remove the top! A convenient option is probably to go for a bikini top kind of set up covering only the front portion.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:30   #3018
BHPian

Hi Guys

Just to give a quick update. Took delivery of a Black Thar yesterday

will post the details and more photos later on.. here is a quick one though.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscn0075.jpg  

maheepgupta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:42   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

Congrats
Must say that the Jeep looks good without the top.
How have you stored the top?
I plan to remove Mine's top once the summers are over.
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:15   #3020
BHPian

Hi Akshay

Thanks.. as per the tips provided by Tejas in his excellent thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-soft-top.html

Cheers

M
maheepgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 15:48   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

Did you get the wheel mod at the dealer or it is aftermarket? Can you share the cost?
Tires seem to be stock.
Old 24th July 2014, 16:04   #3022
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow maheep that's a lovely looking Thar. Can you please share a few more pics please? I would love to see how it looks without the top from all angles. Also, please let us know more about the wheels and tires that you got.
Old 26th July 2014, 17:17   #3023
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Maheepgupta - hello! I am not at all surprised at your "experience". . Bean counters cannot, (actually do not), want to understand us so they will never agree to understand us no matter what we do or how we approach. Don't waste your time, energy and positive attitude trying to make them see reason, it's of no use, forget it. Just enjoy the vehicle.

As you have purchased a black vehicle and are using it in open condition, you are living my dream! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th July 2014, 15:21   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Did you get the wheel mod at the dealer or it is aftermarket? Can you share the cost?
Tires seem to be stock.
Alloys and tires are aftermarket. I checked with the dealer and cost was quite high. Moreover, they didn't have many options for alloys. I got these from one of my friends' place. Tires are Yokohama 265/70/16 G012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Maheepgupta - hello! I am not at all surprised at your "experience". . Bean counters cannot, (actually do not), want to understand us so they will never agree to understand us no matter what we do or how we approach. Don't waste your time, energy and positive attitude trying to make them see reason, it's of no use, forget it. Just enjoy the vehicle.

As you have purchased a black vehicle and are using it in open condition, you are living my dream! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Well, can't say I agree to it. I mean, I understand what you are saying but I think this is the reason why they are like this. if everyone of us will just leave and forget about it, why would they bother to change. Having said that, I wouldn't say I am the one who will make the difference but yeah, would definitely want to do my fair bit. As of now, I am still in touch with Mahindra people about the whole experience. Though I must add that since this whole Fiasco, dealership people have become quite polite and friendly. The overall experience at the time of purchase was good. Then they came twice to my office to collect docs for registration. Some other guy is calling from last 3 days that he wants to meet and explain the features and other details about vehicle.

And yes, black vehicle and open condition is quite awesome. Except when it rained cats and dogs yesterday and I had to soak and drain the water with a sponge The one drainage hole I found under the driver seat was not much help. Even the glove compartment in dashboard was filled with water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wow maheep that's a lovely looking Thar. Can you please share a few more pics please? I would love to see how it looks without the top from all angles. Also, please let us know more about the wheels and tires that you got.
Here are some pics from various angles. I guess these are not as sharp and beautiful as some other members post here but in my defense, for one, these are clicked from an iPad rather than a proper camera and for two, I don't think I have that eye and patience to capture beautiful shots. So here goes..
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00010.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00014.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00015.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00016.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00017.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ff_00019.jpg  

maheepgupta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 18:02   #3025
BHPian

There is no doubt the topless version is far more appealing. The rims are looking awesome. But you will have a hard time cleaning the sides of the car after running on wet, muddy roads due to the negative offset the wheels have now developed. Solution is to extend the width of the stock fibre fenders or buy after-market ones which is again going to take you back by 10-15k rupees.

That's my ride with the hand made led bar.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:11   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Except when it rained cats and dogs yesterday and I had to soak and drain the water with a sponge The one drainage hole I found under the driver seat was not much help. Even the glove compartment in dashboard was filled with water.
Congrats on the purchase, an awesome looking vehicle you have there.

Regarding the drain holes, there should be many more below and around the driver and passenger seats. They would be covered with a gooey like sticker which you could take off for draining the water out. There would be more near the rear seats too.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:50   #3027
BHPian

Well, it is not that I was aware of all niggles and issues with the Thar, but what hit me was completely out of the blue.

June 10th, while recuperating from an accident and surgery, I started planning for the future now that the Baleno (shown in my profile pic) was a write off. I paid the booking amount to the Dealer in Thane and was looking forward to another feather in my midlife crisis cap.

I was promised a free Undercoating for the vehicle and additional plastic mats, as a part of the dealer good will. The Undercoating was provided but the Mats are missing.

Incident 0 : Diamond White as a color not available on Thar CRDE, dealer not willing to accept booking for Diamond White.. I lose a lot of days on this debate.

Incident 1 : The Sales Person who comes to collect the booking cheque wants to know if want a CRDe or a DI vehicle, after I confirm that it is Bombay registration next question is do you want a 4x4 or a 2x4.

The Sales staff do not know what they are selling, sorry in this case what the customer is buying.

As I work with a large IT MNC, I was offered a Rs. 6000/- rebate on the overall costs.

Incident 2 : No immediate delivery available, after a lot of pushing first date promised was 8th August. The dealer promises a lot, but cannot deliver.

After some help from the forum members and Mr. Mahindra's office, the vehicle was finally billed on 01 July to the dealer. Again when will the vehicle land, the dealer has no clue.

Incident 3 : Again with some help from right people at the right time, the vehicle finally lands in Bombay on 12th July, reason for delay transport no available transport from Nashik to Bombay. I believe a total of 6 units are needed for a truck to be booked.

Incident 4 : The unit is readied for delivery on 27th July after completing all RTO formalities. I am handed over a bunch of papers, including Insurance RTO Tax Paid and Octroi paid.

Dealer hands over the vehicle with barely 2 lts of Diesel, (as the vehicle had to go to RTO in worli) the factory provided 10 lts of diesel is over. I am given only 4 wheel caps. There is a debate going on with the Dealer ship guys now on weather the vehicle comes with 4 wheel caps or 5 wheel caps.

Incident 5 : A Happy man drives home the new Thar all the while limping on crutches, since I am still recuperating post surgery.

Now the fun starts,

For most IT Folks, a Spread Sheet is at the core of everything, this is where most problems begin and end. So I started putting together a detailed s/sheet to compute my finance and other costs.

To my surprise, from what the dealer has provided me with receipts to what is the expense actually incurred, there is a difference of over 33K.

Discrepancies to be noted are
1. The insurance costs, Cover note with Zero Dep = 22K, whereas I was charged 32K+5.6K for insurance + Zero Dep.
2. The Corporate Rebate promised is not applied, now I am told that it is subject to approval, the dealer is not willing to disclose, whose approval is required for the corporate discount.
3. A difference of around 6935/- in the amount paid for registration to the receipts received
4. A difference of around 4505/- in the amount paid for overall Basic Cost + Octroi to the receipts received

I am trying my best to get the attention of some senior person at M&M in this, but they all seemed to be happy till the time the unit has been handed over to the poor customer.

when I look at the over all experience, it appears to me that WE the customers are buying the THAR and that Mahindra is not selling any. After paying the money and getting the unit, not as per design (surely meets CMVR guidelines) the fact that everything has to work or will work is purely based on one's luck and not as per the corporate's policy.

Happy motoring to me!
shivshanker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 19:07   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Before we start, a little background. This is going to be a long post so I will keep the background brief here.

Thanks in advance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to be cont...
Congrats on your handsome acquisition! Even I am passing through the exact same turmoil where the heart says THAR!!! but the head says NEVER YAAR!!

Needless to say that the dealership is filled up with a bunch of useless and full-of -attitude sales people who do not have the slightest idea of the product they are selling. Only thing they know is to say a big NO to the customer for everything he asks for; test drive, availability and the like. Even I have tried calling and visiting the same dealer a couple of times in the past and they make you feel like an underprivileged mortal who himself starts wondering why he is there in the first place.

Every time I prepare myself for the Thar, two things push back my decision: One, the interiors and Two, the callous attitude of the dealership. But the Thar just does not let me think with my brain. I know that I can no more resist the temptation to own the dream machine as you have rightly said "life is short". So I guess that I am going to take the plunge somehow and sometime really soon. Wish me luck
Old 9th August 2014, 09:18   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Every time I prepare myself for the Thar, two things push back my decision: One, the interiors and Two, the callous attitude of the dealership. But the Thar just does not let me think with my brain. I know that I can no more resist the temptation to own the dream machine as you have rightly said "life is short". So I guess that I am going to take the plunge somehow and sometime really soon. Wish me luck
The heart always cries for the Thar, no doubt but you need to be careful on certain areas to avoid post purchase regrets.
1. Do you have an alternate setup known to you which can handle mechanical and engine problems of the Thar other than the authorised workshop?
2. Do you have the spare time to work on a mechanical problem alone?
3. Will you be comfortable in driving the jeep at speeds below 80km/hr?
4. Is there any particular objective in buying a 4x4 or is it just because the vehicle "looks smart"?

If the answer to any one of the above questions is No, you should thank yourself for not doing what your heart says. Good luck.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 09:39   #3030
Senior - BHPian

The biggest doubt on its off roading ability remains the IFS and that too of doubtful quality and reliability.

Two incedents in last 4 weeks pulling out Thars with broken upper arm and / or axle boot rod part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks