Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 13:44   #3061
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Guys there is no need to upgrade to 255 or 275 size tyres on a Thar. Stick with Bridgestone 235 OE it is good enough on road and in serious off road.

And these Yokohama Geolanders A/T look good but have a history of side walls cracking / bursting in about 24 months so why waste Rs 40.000 for no gain ?

You will loose more buy more trouble than gain a fraction of advantage.

The Thar is a low tolerence vehicle for alterations respect that.

Hella FF500 is a good auxillary light. It can be mounted on the bumper or below the windshield on wither side a bracket will be required. There is a wholesaler in Gurgaon near Nehru Stadium, price Rs. 3700. The kit includes wiring, brackets for bumper mounting, switch, all fitments, and relay.

If you live closer to central delhi go to Kashmiri gate there is a dealer there or in Karol bagh.

Install 2X Phillips H3 55W bulbs and you have yourself a pretty decent auxillary driving light. Bulbs can be changed on this one by opening just one screw on the front side without removing the light from its mounting bracket.

Last edited by desertfox : 19th August 2014 at 13:50.
Old 19th August 2014, 15:32   #3062
BANNED

After almost 2 years 10kms down the line i have almost reached the final stage of modifying my thar to suit my use. Here is the almost final one.Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-t2.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-t1.jpg
Drlmtukkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 18:17   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
After almost 2 years 10kms down the line i have almost reached the final stage of modifying my thar to suit my use. Here is the almost final one.Attachment 1275938

Attachment 1275939
Can you share the price of Hardtop conversion?
Old 19th August 2014, 22:08   #3064

Dear Friends,

I am really overwhelmed with the kind of attention I have getting for my 10 days old Thar. On weekend, an XUV owner approached me in Gurgaon and after a quick chat, repented his decision as he didn't know that Thar has an AC as well. People of highway asked me to pull over to have a chat on the Thar.

So far, I have not faced any issues. Also its completely rattle free, so far.

Thanks to all the fellow BHPian whom I have been following in this forum for almost 4 years.

Few suggestions I need:

How to improve on lights, I found it not sufficient. Any bulb model/number which can help.

I am not very confident with breaks although I heard it has new booster.

Horn is also not up to mark. Any available better model to replace.

Mileage is around 10, will it get better with time?

Also, who makes good hardtop in NCR?

Cheers
Prasan
Old 19th August 2014, 22:39   #3065
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanverma View Post
Dear Friends,
I am really overwhelmed with the kind of attention I have getting for my 10 days old Thar. On weekend, an XUV owner approached me in Gurgaon and after a quick chat, repented his decision as he didn't know that Thar has an AC as well. People of highway asked me to pull over to have a chat on the Thar.
This is called Stockholm syndrome my friend. Once the XUV owner packs is extended family including is mother in law into a Thar for a weekend getaway, will have a different set of questions for you .

Thar serves a niche need, but it no replacement for a family vehicle.
Old 20th August 2014, 09:44   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tyre suggestion. I will keep it in mind. While going through several posts I have concluded following observations:

1. Why Dealers PAN India are not interested in selling Thar even if it is a small volume and do not pursue customers as they do for other Mahindra vehicles. even a Nano cold call is taken very seriously by TML dealers

2. Thar qualifies to adopt a MTO scenario ( Make to Order) since delivery is based on order given by customer, then why Manhidra is not taking care of small accessory addition at the company level and earn some more extra bucks themselves and give some relief to the customers.
Old 20th August 2014, 09:59   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
How to improve on lights, I found it not sufficient. Any bulb model/number which can help.
Replace the stock bulbs with Philips Rally 130/100 H4 bulbs and use Philips/Hella relay kit. Do make sure to level the beams properly; use the 2 screws behind the headlamps under the bonnet for doing that. And please remember to be courteous to oncoming vehicles, those high beams will be bright enough to be blinding.

Quote:
Horn is also not up to mark. Any available better model to replace.
Hella Red Grill is quite good.

Quote:
It will, but not much.
Old 20th August 2014, 22:41   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I am really overwhelmed with the kind of attention I am getting for my 10 days old Thar. 2. On a weekend, an XUV owner approached me in Gurgaon and after a quick chat, repented his decision as he didn't know that Thar has an AC as well. 3. People of highway asked me to pull over to have a chat on the Thar. 4. I have not faced any issues. Also its completely rattle free. 5. How to improve on lights, I found it not sufficient. 6. I am not very confident with brakes although I heard it has a new booster. 7. Horn is also not up to mark. 8. Mileage is around 10, will it get better with time? 9. Who makes good hardtop in NCR? Prasan
Dear Prasanverma - I have numbered your queries from 1 to 9, my replies are as follows:

1, 2, 3 and 4 - thanks yaar, I am having the last laugh! HaHaHaHaHa! .
5 - please read my recommendations on page 60 of the "Automotive Lighting" thread in this forum, you will get complete information there.
6 - the new booster has two diaphrams in series, so it is called a "tandem" booster. Any tandem booster by this nature of construction tends to give a sort of "pedal sinking" feel, but pedal effort v/s deceleration is always maintained. Nominal pedal travel should be around 90mm. Just leave it alone and drive sensibly, the deceleration is more than sufficient for the application for the unladen weight of 1665kg. If at all you want still better brake performance, it's easily possible but it will really cost you.
7 - I am completely against the use of horn in any of my cars but finally it is your call. If you fit something, fit it properly, don't spoil the underbonnet appearance.
8 - fuel efficiency will go to 12.6 kmpl @ 9000 kms odometer reading. Tire grip will also be maximum @ 9000 kms as the coefficient of rolling resistance will get optimized by scrubbing. Do a highway trip at around 8500 kms or so and then tell me! Oh come on now, I have the best job in the world, "Vehicle Evaluation"!
9 - please, for God's sake, leave the soft top as it is, it gives a very good "stance of proportion" to the vehicle and adds genuine value. This is what turns heads, this is what makes people quietly smile. In my opinion, not a single hard top (except the Italian one) has done that so far! Finally it is your call.

Dear all - on the subject of the soft top, as a "running change" (as we call it), I had planned for burgandy red colored soft top only for black and white colored vehicles, with use of material much superior to what is used now. This would be offered with exact matching color seats, with (dealer fitment) option of the South Africa rollover bar draped with PU foam, covered with the same superior quality material, but in black color with black 4 point harness seat belts and MM540 derived ORVMs fitted on the windshield hinges! All this is so easy to do and it completely transforms the vehicle. The key attributes would be "understated", with a "calculated purpose". This would also have hidden all the "so-called interior" issues. Please remember that if the human eye is passively made to see what it likes to see, then only the brain will command the hand to write the cheque, that's business, isn't it guys? Oh come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st August 2014, 09:47   #3069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

9 - please, for God's sake, leave the soft top as it is, it gives a very good "stance of proportion" to the vehicle and adds genuine value. This is what turns heads, this is what makes people quietly smile. In my opinion, not a single hard top (except the Italian one) has done that so far!..............

I saw a Thar while coming back from Chandigarh with the Hyderabad Hard Top.

Looked Smashing. Red Thar with that Top! Blazing down the highway. Beauty. The way it exposes the Targa Band, makes a very nice design appeal. Brilliant!
Old 21st August 2014, 11:40   #3070

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Prasanverma - I have numbered your queries from 1 to 9, my replies are as follows:

1, 2, 3 and 4 - thanks yaar, I am having the last laugh! HaHaHaHaHa! .
>> We must appreciate the good work being done by you and your team

9 - please, for God's sake, leave the soft top as it is, it gives a very good "stance of proportion" to the vehicle and adds genuine value. This is what turns heads, this is what makes people quietly smile. In my opinion, not a single hard top (except the Italian one) has done that so far! Finally it is your call.

>> while with you, as its my daily use car, I need the hard top for safety reasons - To put a decent Music system, leaving my bag while going for a quick shopping etc.

Dear all - on the subject of the soft top, as a "running change" (as we call it), I had planned for burgandy red colored soft top only for black and white colored vehicles, with use of material much superior to what is used now. This would be offered with exact matching color seats, with (dealer fitment) option of the South Africa rollover bar draped with PU foam, covered with the same superior quality material, but in black color with black 4 point harness seat belts and MM540 derived ORVMs fitted on the windshield hinges! All this is so easy to do and it completely transforms the vehicle. The key attributes would be "understated", with a "calculated purpose". This would also have hidden all the "so-called interior" issues. Please remember that if the human eye is passively made to see what it likes to see, then only the brain will command the hand to write the cheque, that's business, isn't it guys? Oh come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks again for replying to my message. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Prasan
Old 21st August 2014, 14:49   #3071
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from dealership that there is one black thar about to be delivered and I can have a look at it. I left office for an hour from office in a hurry to have a look at the Thar before ordering it. Sales person told me that i can have a look but cannot drive since it is to be delivered. relieved to know that my future vehicle is in safe hands though!
Black thar looked majestic. I am 6'2" tall and did not find issue with the seating ergonomics while seating infact the visibility was better from the driving point of view. the interiors were also fine as expected after going through n number of posts. Looking at it, I am planning to go for a Red thar since the black soft top will compliment it to give a dual tone shade and there are mostly black Thar's hovering around in Lucknow.

The booking amount is 50000 and delivery time is around 1 month. the corporate discount offered is only 5000.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:01   #3072
BHPian

Has anybody here tried to retro-fit a day/night internal rear view mirror (either sourced from a different vehicle or after market) for the Thar?
None of the other vehicles in Mahindra's stable have an IRVM with day/night switch which is an easy fit for the Thar
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 19:08   #3073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Has anybody here tried to retro-fit a day/night internal rear view mirror (either sourced from a different vehicle or after market) for the Thar?
None of the other vehicles in Mahindra's stable have an IRVM with day/night switch which is an easy fit for the Thar
I've been trying to get one. I was told by ASC that Bolero mirrors will fit. Last few times I checked, they didn't have stocks.
Old 21st August 2014, 19:59   #3074
BHPian

Unfortunately the IRVM from Bolero is not a direct fit.
If you observe, Thar's IRVM's stalk is angled towards the driver from the windshield, and the ball socket is at the back of the mirror.
The Bolero's IRVM's stalk is not only straight but also the ball socket is at the top.
Because of this, when you fit the Bolero's IRVM in the Thar, the mirror starts touching the windshield making it difficult to adjust mirror.
I'm trying to see if something can be used as a washer to create ssome space, and then use longer bolts to secure the Bolero's IRVM on the Thar. That said, I don't know if it would lead to vibrations on the mirror!
Old 21st August 2014, 21:20   #3075
BHPian

Quote:

The answer really lies in whether you have changed the wheels and tires and mainly how you drive and at what speeds. I have stock wheels and tires and added an aftermarket AC. Prior to adding AC I was getting around 1kmpl better.
My mileage average across my total so far of 39 tankfills is currently 10.9 Kmpl . The best received is 12.6. The worst received was 7.6!
You can see my detailed stats with notes on Fuelly (make sure you change the units of display to KMpL)http://www.fuelly.com/car/mahindra/t...cherian/243315.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks