Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2017, 05:27   #3631
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Dear eagle888, I think you haven't got the sad news yet. Our dear Behram Sir has gone to off-road with the gods.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...m-dhabhar.html
Thanks for letting me know. As did many many others, I had great respect for Behram ... Amazing gentleman.
Old 7th August 2017, 07:10   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
With Jeep planning to launch the Wrangler next year at a price band lower than the Compass, ....
Is this from the gossip industry or official? I have been speaking to a lot of FCA engineers lately at their HQ and there is a big slowdown in development expenditure. Current projects are 1) Next-gen Wrangler, 2) Next gen RAM and 3) Cherokee refresh.

All other projects are slowed down.
No word on any new development of Wrangler besides the ongoing one.
I'd love to be corrected though.
Old 7th August 2017, 10:21   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Is this from the gossip industry or official? I have been speaking to a lot of FCA engineers lately at their HQ and there is a big slowdown in development expenditure. Current projects are 1) Next-gen Wrangler, 2) Next gen RAM and 3) Cherokee refresh.

All other projects are slowed down.
No word on any new development of Wrangler besides the ongoing one.
I'd love to be corrected though.
The information regarding the launch of the Wrangler is based the information shared by BHPian Balan on the 'Meeting the Jeep Compass' thread. [Post # 1682 and # 1687]

Since the Compass, premium range product, has been aggressively priced, one assumes that the Wrangler would necessarily be priced a lot lower.

Assuming this happens, the scope to maneuver on the price front gets restricted for M&M.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 12:54   #3634
Team-BHP Support

I have compiled a very short video of our Thar in the Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh -

BlackPearl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 22:03   #3635

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
This engineering flaw in the Thar caused me to lose the clutch midway when crossing a stream and hit some rocks underneath. It was partly my fault as I was forced to go slightly off the designated path to avoid another vehicle. The transmission skid-plate took most of the impact.

I was luckily able to slot the car in reverse and could power out of the stream. We tried to patch up the broken metal pipe with insulation tape in vain.

But, it stopped further leakage of the clutch fluid and we finally had to be towed by another jeep until a mechanic arrived with the replacement pipe and the vehicle was fixed up in no time.
The very first accessory I got for my Thar CRDe was a direct bolt on clutch pipe protection from Swastik Fabs (http://www.swastikfabs.in). After every OTR I can see scratches under the protection plate. The clutch pipe on the Thar is very vulnerable and I wonder why the engineers at M&M didn't think of protecting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-cpp.jpg  

KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 17:18   #3636

I've been having this problem right from the time I bought my Thar in August 2016,it was rainy season to be precise. I expected small amount of leakage at the co passenger side. Contents in the glove compartment got wet too.
I had taken my Thar for repairs at Infinity Autolinks Mumbai ( that's where I purchased my vehicle from as well). They assured me that the problem has been fixed, to my dismay the rains stopped and I had no way to check whether it has been fixed or no. The leakage was not observed during power wash.
Then came 2017, my vehicle has been to the workshop twice for this issue, the third time for 15 days, and I was assured then as well its been fixed. Sadly again after a few days I had the same issue again,I have now given my Thar for the forth time.
With these two images attaches, I figured that the leakage is happening from the left most side,right next to the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6177.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6181.jpg  

Old 11th September 2017, 17:48   #3637
BHPian

Hello All,

Water leakage seems to be a perennial issue with Thar.

I am the chosen one to experience all of them .

I am listing down all of them here in one post though I had posted issues at multiple posts individually.

1. Canopy gaps - leaks are observed in places where it touched the metal part, through the seem at the rear-end and through the zip.

Not fixed - I have changed the canopy under warranty. The leaks through the seem have stopped but not others.

2. Door hinges - This happens to me when I drive through the rain. Water gets stored somewhere in the dashboard and comes out while a make turns. Water drips in both driver pit and co-driver pit.

Not fixed

3. Spray nozzle - Gaps in spray nozzle let's water into the dashboard and pits.

Fixed - Changed nozzle and closed the gap.

4. Hinges on the bonnet - Through faulty screws

Fixed - Changed screws.

Hope this helps.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 03:47   #3638
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with blackpearl here. I had a couple of queries as i am not a regular to this thread. We are looking at a replacement for our mm540 and considering thar crde as a option. In the below quote the headlights of both the thars appear different. Is it something from the factory or an aftermarket fitment?

Also whats the OTR pricing for the thar crde and the thar DI currently? Also is Mahindra ever planning on adding airbags to the thar?

Thanks in advance!
Maddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I may be a bit biased towards the Thar, but to me it is one of the best looking vehicles currently being sold. I can keep looking at one for hours!
And it is not just the show, it has the go to match. Sharing a few pics from a recent off-road event.

Pics credit "AJ-got-BHP" and "BlackPearl":

Attachment 1662653

Attachment 1662654

Attachment 1662655

Attachment 1662656

Attachment 1662657

Attachment 1662658
Old 14th September 2017, 11:58   #3639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
In the below quote the headlights of both the thars appear different. Is it something from the factory or an aftermarket fitment?
The RED THAR has what comes from factory. The rocky beige one has an aftermarket installed setup.

Quote:
Also is Mahindra ever planning on adding airbags to the thar?
I don't think it will make sense. It will be very very similar to adding airbags on a farm tractor. Just airbags are not sufficient. The Thar has serious shortcomings on safety front when compared to contemporaries. But then - it is an off-road jeep & this is how they are to be built by purpose. Try to change this DNA and we get a Scorpio!

Mostly it won't ever get airbags IMO. M&M won't invest in making other changes in this car to bring up the safety kit.
Old 14th September 2017, 14:28   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I don't think it will make sense. It will be very very similar to adding airbags on a farm tractor. Just airbags are not sufficient. The Thar has serious shortcomings on safety front when compared to contemporaries. But then - it is an off-road jeep & this is how they are to be built by purpose. Try to change this DNA and we get a Scorpio!

Mostly it won't ever get airbags IMO. M&M won't invest in making other changes in this car to bring up the safety kit.
I hope that they migrate all the projects to the modular third gen chassis program(underpinning the new current Scorpio & TUV). It is much safer and meets crash requirements. The body, however, will require a generation leap in terms of design for the next generation. Afterall it is only so much that you can carry on with a 1998 design.

As an extended wish list, it would be lovely to have the 2.2 mHawk along with the new 6MT in the development. LSD and other 4x4 goodies are obviously welcome.
Old 14th September 2017, 14:44   #3641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I hope that they migrate all the projects to the modular third gen chassis program(underpinning the new current Scorpio & TUV). It is much safer and meets crash requirements. The body, however, will require a generation leap in terms of design for the next generation. Afterall it is only so much that you can carry on with a 1998 design.

As an extended wish list, it would be lovely to have the 2.2 mHawk along with the new 6MT in the development. LSD and other 4x4 goodies are obviously welcome.
Thats what I said. You'll not have a THAR. Not a jeep. You'll have an urbanized SUV. You already have it with other brand names.

Why do you need LSD? We get lockable diffs, aren't these enough?

And I'd say a brute jeep like the THAR is better with a 2.5 L robust engine rather than a smaller 2.2 mHawk which is more complicated and takes away the ruggedness. Hard work Workhorses are better with simpler and robust parts rather than high tech stuff.

In my opinion, no matter how much technology goes ahead, nothing replaces the cubic capacity. Larger will always trump the smaller. Lager size automatically gives better low end performance below the turbo zone when the engine is running practically as an NA. While off roading, you need good low rpm performance. Don't want to fry the clutches to stay in the turbo range.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:02   #3642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I totally agree with blackpearl here. I had a couple of queries as i am not a regular to this thread. We are looking at a replacement for our mm540 and considering thar crde as a option. In the below quote the headlights of both the thars appear different. Is it something from the factory or an aftermarket fitment?

Also whats the OTR pricing for the thar crde and the thar DI currently? Also is Mahindra ever planning on adding airbags to the thar?

Thanks in advance!
Maddy
Reinhard has already answered your query below. The aftermarket headlights on the rocky beige Thar are from bluegarage.in. They look good but not sure if they will be good for touring or not. I am not too happy with the products from bluegarage. My friend had got a jerry can holder from them and it broke during his trip to Arunachal. He got so angry that he threw it away there.

Last I heard, the price in Kolkata for Thar CRDe was 10.6 on-road. This was pre-GST. I am not sure about the current price. Also as Reinhard has mentioned, adding airbags to the current structure of the Thar is not going to help. It has to go through drastic design changes to make it a safe vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The RED THAR has what comes from factory. The rocky beige one has an aftermarket installed setup.

Old 14th September 2017, 21:01   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response. I was confused if Mahindra suddenly upped their game and started offering fancy modern headlights as I did see something similar on a friends new thar. 10 Lakhs is a pretty steep price for what one gets in return as other than a sexy looker, there is a compromise we are doing as end customers. Every customer spends close to 1-2 lakhs over in customizing this product.

Coming to the safety aspect, yea I do understand the product is a age old design, but unless a brand like Mahindra pulls up their socks and try to up their game, then who else can we expect to do it? Indian market is their captive market, and they are trying to export their product to the world, least they can do is engineer it for the world.

Just a example of what the Jeep Wrangler offers in safety. https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/safety-security.html

Yes the Wrangler starts at 23000$ which is 14 lakhs Indian price. But it's made in the US, so if we factor in difference in labor cost can Mahindra not offer these features for a 11 lakhs price point?

Before anyone jumps at my throat, my family has been Mahindra customers since 35 years and currently have two jeeps and a bolero in our stable.

Maddy
Old 17th September 2017, 20:56   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
.........Just a example of what the Jeep Wrangler offers in safety. https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/safety-security.html

Yes the Wrangler starts at 23000$ which is 14 lakhs Indian price. But it's made in the US, so if we factor in difference in labor cost can Mahindra not offer these features for a 11 lakhs price point? ........
Maddy42, I too thought that the cost of the Jeep Wrangler in the US, converted in Indian Rupees works out to INR 14-15 lacs.

Given the killer pricing strategy adopted in the case of the Compass, I was expecting the Wrangler to be offered at around INR 15 lacs in India.

Imagine my surprise when I was informed by the local dealer for Jeep in Hyderabad that the OTR for the petrol version is INR 75 lacs and the diesel version an additional INR 10 lacs.

Could anyone throw more light on the astronomical price difference? I do understand that the Wrangler offered in the Indian market is a CBU, but are the import duties so high as to justify this price differential.
Old 18th September 2017, 10:12   #3645

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post

Water leakage seems to be a perennial issue with Thar.

Thanks, I am trying to get in touch with someone from Mahindra, as the service centre people are not able to resolve this.

Note from Moderator : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:16. Reason: See note in post. Thanks

Most Viewed