Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 13:48   #1531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

^^ This is true. You need to make the right noises at the right time. Grumble about the delay, appeal to their softer side by saying "But you promised...", tell them in a serious tones that you have TDed an ANHC and frankly, apart from the German badge, it's a great car and you are probably going to go for it, etc. Worst case they don't do anything if which case you should probably make good on your threat. Vote with your wallet, as they say. Most likely what will happen is you catch the eye of someone who is sympathetic and wants to help. Once you have the foot in the door, it's a matter of time: you may have to compromise on a couple of things (like I did with teh colour etc.) but it will happen.

With due respect to the meek, sitting on your fanny doesn't entitle them to inherit anything!
Old 15th February 2011, 14:22   #1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think one other member managed to get their car with a straight threat to cancel. There are varying styles of "following up".
Difference of opinion between you and me here. As far as I am concerned, there is only one kind of follow-up. The professional one.
Threats are well, threats, not follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Each person who succeeds in bringing sufficient pressure to bear, of course, puts others further back in the queue. Despite that, I still feel everyone is justified in doing whatever they can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
All I wanted to say was that you need to be loud and clear to your dealer (maybe even shout at them). The hard fact is, the one who cries the loudest MAY be given 'some preference'.
You do state a fact here and the sad reality is we think (also a fact) that it's justified to resort to such tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
This is especially true for Bangy; In Delhi (Sid's claiming that dealers are saying 1 month for Trendline and 2 months for Highline. I haven't checked) and Mumbai, the demand is more but so is the supply. In Bangalore, the demand is very high but not so they supply.
Apologies for the abrasive reply earlier. Some anger on the situation overflowing...

However, isn't this supply skewness situation an effect of the problems created by the above tactics.

If VW sticks to it's guns on the queue, I would be more than happy to wait since then, I would then be dealing with a professional company and one which respects it's customers.
Everyone would easily be able to track the delivery schedules and know how much their car is going to be delayed.

Mind you, I actually don't have problem waiting...for the said delivery date (even if it is 9 mnths down the line) since the dealer has given me his word and given me a choice before deciding.
But, such underhand dealings at the expense of others, is pathetic.

I had also followed-up earlier via phone calls and emails and as usual, no replies.
The hopeless attitude has left a very bad taste and I presently have no enthusiasm left for my first new car!
Hence, have stopped following up. Giving VW maximum chances to help me cancel for a better choice.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:04   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjal View Post
If VW sticks to it's guns on the queue, I would be more than happy to wait since then, I would then be dealing with a professional company and one which respects it's customers.
Everyone would easily be able to track the delivery schedules and know how much their car is going to be delayed.

Mind you, I actually don't have problem waiting...for the said delivery date (even if it is 9 mnths down the line) since the dealer has given me his word and given me a choice before deciding.
But, such underhand dealings at the expense of others, is pathetic.
The company may be a professional and upright one, but what do we do about the Dealers (most of them would have been selling other cars before moving on to VW).

Almost all dealers have an alternate priority list fr alotting cars to preferred / premium / cash paying customers.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:11   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The company may be a professional and upright one, but what do we do about the Dealers (most of them would have been selling other cars before moving on to VW).

Almost all dealers have an alternate priority list fr alotting cars to preferred / premium / cash paying customers.
You are right, I was at the Elite motors showroom the other day and the Sales guy was chatting with somebody on the phone, "dont worry sir, we will get the car allotted to you through VIP Quota" Now what is VIP quota when it comes to allotment of cars.....
Old 16th February 2011, 11:32   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
You are right, I was at the Elite motors showroom the other day and the Sales guy was chatting with somebody on the phone, "dont worry sir, we will get the car allotted to you through VIP Quota" Now what is VIP quota when it comes to allotment of cars.....
I have faced this whe n my Bro in law booked his i10, he wanted a Dussera delivery but the dealer kept on giving excused (rains in the south, transport strike, etc. etc.) finally 2 days before Diwali I went along with him to the dealership and refused to speak to anyone except the MD, who very reluctantly agreed to meet (he was all the time sitting in one of the CSE desks). So in front of the entire gathering of customers and staff I asked him the reasons for delay and as articulately and firmly as I could (without using unparliamentry language) I told him on his face that he was reprioritising deliveries at his whims and fancies.

After listening for about 5 minutes during which he tried to draw us to his cabin (we refused) he said he would get back to us in 1 hour. With promises of returning in 1 hour if he did not revert positively we left, and even before we could reach home we got a call that the car would be delivered the next day, which we asked to be delivered on Diwali (2 days).

So being polite and patient does not seem to be the right choice, there are times when we got to stand up and ask what is due.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:44   #1536
Senior - BHPian

With the introduction of SX4 diesel VW Vento Sales is being predicted to plummet. this would be some relief for people desperate of getting a Vento:-).
Old 16th February 2011, 22:01   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
With the introduction of SX4 diesel VW Vento Sales is being predicted to plummet. this would be some relief for people desperate of getting a Vento:-).
Dont think so
SX4 diesel will not have the punch.
Nor the ride & handling.
Not even the interior part quality.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:28   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

True. SX4 Diesel will be in a completely different league. Dont think they can keep up with the quality of the Vento. Although their sales will impact the Vento, I think VW can still maintain their competition figures.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:40   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Dont think so
SX4 diesel will not have the punch.
Nor the ride & handling.
Not even the interior part quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
True. SX4 Diesel will be in a completely different league. Dont think they can keep up with the quality of the Vento. Although their sales will impact the Vento, I think VW can still maintain their competition figures.
Lets wait and watch, Maruti has been showing a constant improvement in quality, may be some further change after entering the middle end market would rub off on the other cars too.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:27   #1540
BHPian

My experience with VW so far:

Booked a Polo 1.6 through a agent in october end. My first colour choice was grey followed by black. I was promised delivery by Nov end.

Got a call saying car has been delayed to dec end as VW is working on the engine. He also informed me that grey might not be available so i had to settle for black. I decided to take a 2011 car as it made most sense. They promised delivery in the 3rd week of Jan.

Mid Jan delayed to end Jan, then moved to mid feb, finally i was informed that delivery would happen 3-4 week of march confirmed. Everytime i spoke to them the excuses were the same:

"Production of the car has not started"
"VW is still making changes on the 1.6 engine"
"VW rather make more ventos as they make more money"

I finally realised that these guys were just taking me for a ride (a little late in the game). Met a buddy at N1 racing who informed me that VW downtown had 6 Polo 1.6 for ready delivery. Rushed to the showroom with chq in hand. Unfortunately they had sold the last car the previous day. They had stock of a blue car which i didnt want.

Anupam put me in touch with a DSA friend that same afternoon. He informed me about a white 1.6 which would be ready for delivery on 23rd. but i would need to pay a 15k "ON" for the car. Decided to bite the bullet and go for the car.

This is the best part:

When i booked the car it was Rs 7.02.xxx
Due to excise price went up to 7.37.xxx
The Proforma invoice OTR from the thane VW dealer was 7.26.xxx

So i landed up spending just 4-5k extra for a faster delivery. Plus doing insurance on my own and saving another 10k (0 dep policy)

My experience with has been horrible so far. All dealers and DSA's are only looking for ways to make an extra buck. They dont really care for customers who are patient and follow the rules.

For all the Tbhpians who are waiting for delivery and have to pay 7.37 for the car please let me know, will scan the invoice copy for 7.26. I really dont understand why there is a price difference.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:19   #1541
Senior - BHPian

SX4 diesel will just play a value alternative in the C segment. Vento is in a different league altogether.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:34   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I second this. If SX4 Diesel could impact Vento sales, then Manza & Linea too should have done the same (same Fiat engine, similar/better builds). One thing in favour of SX4 though, is the Maruti service network. So, the SX4-D will have its fare share of the pie, but dont think it would dent Vento sales much. The only real competition for the Vento-D (in future) I could think of, can come from Fiat stable- if it brings in their 1.6/1.9 MJD engine mated to a revamped Linea. I don't have any idea if/when they'll do that, but it is one car worthy of competition to the Vento D (& even ANHC).

Last edited by JJames : 17th February 2011 at 10:35.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:54   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
I second this. If SX4 Diesel could impact Vento sales, then Manza & Linea too should have done the same (same Fiat engine, similar/better builds). One thing in favour of SX4 though, is the Maruti service network. So, the SX4-D will have its fare share of the pie, but dont think it would dent Vento sales much. The only real competition for the Vento-D (in future) I could think of, can come from Fiat stable- if it brings in their 1.6/1.9 MJD engine mated to a revamped Linea. I don't have any idea if/when they'll do that, but it is one car worthy of competition to the Vento D (& even ANHC).
Manza -Is not in the league clearly. low quality panels, low quality interiors, lot of niggles. Only USP is SPACE.

Linea - Fiat is out of game in india due to pathetic A.S.S. Already falling numbers of Linea and Punto are a proof of this pudding . whichever car Fiat brings into India will have no impact on its sales trend which is currently downward and will continue to slide.

Vento - Good car but really bad dealership management by VW. Is this going the Skoda way. Only time will tell.

With all this issues SX4 can be a Dark horse in my opinion. Good no nonsense car with great A.S.S and easy on maintenance is a great reciepe for Success in India. People will by SX4 and save a couple of lacs if there are logistics and dealership issues around vento.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:43   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
Hi,

first of all a brief background. I belong to group of people who are endlessly for their Vento (TDI highline). I booked my car in early Dec 2010. Delivery was promised in March 2011.

Now for the story

This sunday I went to the dealership with my cheque book, to either give the car by Feb end & take complete payment or cancel the booking, I will happily take a Scorpio.

Today I received a call, that they (dealer) are trying to allot me a car & will get it delivered by Wednesday (16/02/2011). I am surprised or shocked or dumbfolded because I never expected this reply.

Just thought of sharing it with all

Wednesday came & went without Vento.

Reason: Sir, you must have heard it wrong we said 16th march

Either I am dumb & idiot or they must have said in Swahili which I msinterpreted.

On second thoughts it could be 16th april, maybe june or July & so on

Deadline 1: Missed.
Promise: 16th March
Old 17th February 2011, 15:47   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Urban Nomad, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Not only the disappointment of a further delay on getting your car, but the nasty, underhand behaviour of the sales staff. Having such little regard for the truth? They should be in politics, not the motor trade. It stinks.

Most Viewed