Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 20:27   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I use 30 on all tires. Did you get the car's wheel alignment and balancing done? Since these new cars come out without doing these, it's recommended to check them once you take delivery of the car. I got my car's alignment done as soon as I got them from the showroom. Always recommended to perform these every 5k kms. BTW, how many kms did your car clock till now? My car touched 9k.
Sure tomorrow I am going to workshop will get the alignment done, even the free top-up for the coolant. And few check-up.
Well the car has done just 280 kms. Long way left.
Have pushed my beast 140 on pune-expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
As Naveen rightly said, please get the wheel alignment of your car checked asap. But before that please do a simple test. Inflate both the front tyres with equal pressure (eg 30 psi in both). Take your car to a plain straight road. Drive it at a steady speed in top gear. Slowly lift both the hands from the steering wheel & observe if the car is still drifting towards any of the sides. If yes, then surely it is due to wheel misalignment, if not then earlier drifting could have been due to pressure difference.
Will do that in morning before going to workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Coolant level being close to min is actually not an issue if it is not dropping further. The Coolant to water ratio issue does not matter in a premixed coolant and that is what i would recommend. On the road if you do find coolant level has dropped there will be no issue in adding normal water and continuing on. The 45-55 ration is overrated and a +- 10% won't matter too much. But to avoid that just fill a premix. Level should ideally be just below the max.

2) Not just VW but almost all manufacturers specific a different pressure for tyres depending on who much the car is loaded. And that is the correct way to go. I you mostly drive alone then keep it close to the unloaded pressure level. If going with full family and bags for an outstation trip keep it close to the fullly loaded level. If you keep the car at this level all the time then it will bounce around when in town and driving alone.

3) Tyre pressure if equal in both L & R tyres will NOT cause the car to pull to any side. It will happen only if there is a allignment issue or if the tyres on L&R on any of the axels had different pressures.
Thanks a lots for the tips and inputs.
Old 18th April 2011, 13:23   #1922
BHPian

Just wanted to update you guys on the IPL Vento HU. It seems that VW wants/insists that this unit be fit into new Vento Trendline Petrol. It is not available as accessories for others.
I was advised to wait for 1-2 months after which remaining units can be sold to anyone. I have blocked 4-5 units just in case some one wants it. :-)
Old 18th April 2011, 13:50   #1923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I use 30 on all tires. Did you get the car's wheel alignment and balancing done? Since these new cars come out without doing these, it's recommended to check them once you take delivery of the car. I got my car's alignment done as soon as I got them from the showroom. Always recommended to perform these every 5k kms. BTW, how many kms did your car clock till now? My car touched 9k.
Is it really required to do an alignment on new cars?
I upgraded the tires, and some how I feel it is drifitng towards left. But when i asked the tyre dealer, he said new cars do not need wheel alignment.
Old 18th April 2011, 14:19   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Is it really required to do an alignment on new cars?
I upgraded the tires, and some how I feel it is drifitng towards left. But when i asked the tyre dealer, he said new cars do not need wheel alignment.
Brand new cars driven out of the showroom definitely don't need alignment. But if you have recently driven through very bad patches of road or have banged the wheels in a pot hole or have jumped nastily over a bump, then you ought to get the alignment checked. Preferrably it should be done at an interval of 10K kms (could be earlier even, 5K as suggested by Naveen)
Old 18th April 2011, 17:29   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Just wanted to update you guys on the IPL Vento HU. It seems that VW wants/insists that this unit be fit into new Vento Trendline Petrol. It is not available as accessories for others.
I was advised to wait for 1-2 months after which remaining units can be sold to anyone. I have blocked 4-5 units just in case some one wants it. :-)
Please keep in touch. I would be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
To add to what Subodh said, there are good systems out there like the Caska or JVC AVX 836 but they all something missing (the JVC lacks GPS, for example, both lack reverse camera) and the packing required to make it fit the Vento gives it a non OEM feel. Plus Subodh tells me when you start the car it flashes a Welcome to VW sign that is the icing on the cake! Am veering towards this HU for this reason mostly!
How much does this HU cost in lieu of the OEM system? I am on the verge of finalising the AT. I spoke to the dealer here in Santacruz Mumbai & he said that the IPL HU will not be available otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
@ Windsurfer: its not manufactured by vw and its a chinese make i think but there is a 1 year warranty on the product and the build quality also looks pretty strong. I am pretty sure you will be able to find something locally. If you are not, i am just a call away.

@srishiva: The screen size is one of the biggest i have seen on this system. The advantage you get in this system is you get a factory fit finish wthout having to resort to packaging of any sort. secondly, it also gives a reverse camera in to the system which as per my knowledge, pioneer and kenwood do not offer. Thirdly, it also integrates kind of like a blue and me technology where in you can connect your phone to the system through phone and make calls, receive calls seamlessly. Last but not the least, it integrates in the car so nicely with all the dash colors etc that it feels like it is an OEM part of the car. Looks wise it is same as the ICE given in the IPL edition given by VW.
Its probably a Witson. But if it fits well, there shouldn't be any issue. Will keep a close watch as i don't like the bare OEM system.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th April 2011 at 17:30.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:03   #1926
BHPian

I don't really understand what VW trying to gain by not making the HU available in accessories list.

I hope they have seen the news that Verna RB coming up with loads of features which is missing in Vento

I hope this will change after Verna RB launched.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:16   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Looks very good and performance to match. I find it much better looking than upcoming Fiesta.
Old 18th April 2011, 22:20   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by 'blocked 4-5 units' ? Did you pay any amount or is it just vocal agreement. Which dealership by the way in Hyderabad? I checked the system at Orion today. It is good for features but the system is on the slower side. No CD player too. The rest seems to be fine for me. The manager advised me to wait till IPL ends.. So let's see how it goes but keep me in mind when you hear something good.
Old 19th April 2011, 04:59   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
...I have blocked 4-5 units just in case some one wants it. :-)
Thanks for "blocking"! How much "on" do I have to pay?!!!
Old 19th April 2011, 17:42   #1930
BHPian

I have just told the guy verbally that i would be interested in this. Also, told him that would be looking for few more units as my friends are also interested. He has said that he will be happy to do this as this is giving him more business.

Now, I am not sure if we should believe him but let's wait for sometime to find it out. We always have a Witson unit as backup.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:30   #1931
BHPian

Has anyone in this forum of Vento owners, found an alternate solution for the central Locking Dud? Each of the accessory shops I visit says they cant do anything about it. I have a 2 year old passenger who's really naughty & incidentally opened the front (left) door from inside, while I was cruising @100+kmph on the highway (inspite of the central lock being engaged). Really had my heart in mouth & my mind shruds with fear everytime I remember that incident. We were just pain lucky to have got away with this. VW has done well with creating such a fast (enough) car, but if I dont feel as secure as in my old Alto, with my kid on front side seat, this is siply not done.

Last edited by JJames : 19th April 2011 at 18:32.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:43   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Has anyone in this forum of Vento owners, found an alternate solution for the central Locking Dud? Each of the accessory shops I visit says they cant do anything about it. I have a 2 year old passenger who's really naughty & incidentally opened the front (left) door from inside, while I was cruising @100+kmph on the highway (inspite of the central lock being engaged). Really had my heart in mouth & my mind shruds with fear everytime I remember that incident. We were just pain lucky to have got away with this. VW has done well with creating such a fast (enough) car, but if I dont feel as secure as in my old Alto, with my kid on front side seat, this is siply not done.
That really would have been a shocking experience to live through! I really could not believe that the central locking system worked that way when i was first trying it out on my friend's new Vento. I thought i din't understand how to lock the car yet, when my friend interfered and told it worked that way! What on earth were the VW engineers trying to do with it?
Old 19th April 2011, 21:34   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a Vento owner . How can you allow your child to be seated in the front seat and that too when you are cruising at 100+??? German cars are not designed to carry 2 year olds in the front seat since they believe in heavily fining such adults who have a 2 year old as co-passenger on the front seat and possibly put them behind bars for being callous !! Please do note that children should be seated away from air bags too and front seat is the worst violation of the rule. You should really put your kid in a child seat at the rear, fasten the seat belt which should help keep him in place however lively he maybe. Turn on the child lock using your ignition key through the slot provided - it would prevent them from being opened by your child.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:07   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
...Has anyone in this forum of Vento owners, found an alternate solution for the central Locking Dud?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
...How can you allow your child to be seated in the front seat...
@JJames: This is a real issue and a very serious one. The standard VW reply is Central locking locks all doors from outside, not inside, to prevent 26/7-like situations. This is a laughable answer. A simple risk analysis (FMEA) will tell that chances of fatal accidents happening due to inadvertant opening of door from inside (while the car is in motion) are thousands of times more likely than the risk of another 26/7-like situation happening during our lifetimes. VW could have provided a simple mechanical lock from inside (like what every car from Morris Minor to Ambassador to Maruti have been providing). Sometimes excessive obsession with technology, innovation and Blue Motion can make you miss out on simple low-tech solutions for passengers' blues while the car is in motion.

@souravc: Although your point is valid, you are diverting the attention from the main issue highlighted by JJames. I have a 'young', 'golden' 5-year old furry part of my family (and soul) travelling in my Vento. He always uses the back seat because he likes the 4-way view! He has a peculiar habit... every time the car passes by a horse or a bull or cow or a distant sibling, he goes 'crazy' inside the car and wants to leap out. 5 times out of 10, he manages to step on the window button, opens the glass and half his body starts protruding out! I'm fearing when he's going to learn to open the door latch...
Old 20th April 2011, 07:40   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Do you really want to buy those IPL HUs?? Have you had a look and feel a them?? Availability should not be an issue, but it looks so cheap and feels so delicate. The functioning also is very bad. I am telling with my first hand experience with the HU.

I love the Vento but not the IPL HU. I suggest all to go have a look at the IPL edition and feel the HU and then tell your opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks