Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 21:54   #2101
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I remember seeing these last year. They look like the photos of the Russian Vento. VW forgot to add these essential ( for the C segment) accessories to the Indian version :(
You are right, on futher research I found that this is indeed the first set of pics releassed by VW in 2010 for their Polo Sedan launch in Russia

Since when did Germans start favoring the Ruskies (just kidding)
Old 16th May 2011, 23:23   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
How can it be possible.
Front bumper is only 3.5K. Assume labour charges to be 2K.
I am damn sure if you want to get it replaced it will cost you more than 10K if not 15K.

Similarly all the spare parts are priced like those of hatch back segment (i10 / a-star). Something is seriously wrong here.
These are the official prices. But yes, labour charges will be much higher. For instance, they charge more than Rs 2.5k for painting the rear spoiler. In that scale, bumper will at least be 5k. Lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The SX version of Verna is 11.38L OTR and the highline Vento diesel is 11.3L. Just got the quote yesterday.
Really?. Vento HL TDI was 11.02L On road a month back?. Did it increase by 36k?
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 23:34   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Heard import duties for CKD parts have been raised. So the engine & gearbox just became costlier.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:46   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

Heard import duties for CKD parts have been raised. So the engine & gearbox just became costlier.
Yes the ex-showroom price for the TDI HL has increased from 931k to 939k in Bangalore.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:01   #2105
BHPian

^^ I thought the ex showroom price went up only by .5% (VAT in KA on factory price is increased from 13.5% to 14% from this FY). My invoice puts it at 936K - the difference from the initial quote is about 4.5K. The road tax went up by 1.5K, so the overall increase should be about 6K from before.

@motorhead5, your estimate of 11.02L includes a corporate discount of 16K I suppose - it was actually 11.18L before the increase. Now it should be 11.25L IMO.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:03   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
It increased by about 25K+. The car price itself increased and then our "good" government decided to add some extra VAT (heard it was 1% or so extra). Theres hardly a difference of 10K between Verna SX and Vento HL now. If hyundai manages to keep the waiting time down, Vento is going to lose a lot of customers. I nearly fainted when they said 8 months for a HL.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:22   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
It increased by about 25K+. The car price itself increased and then our "good" government decided to add some extra VAT (heard it was 1% or so extra). Theres hardly a difference of 10K between Verna SX and Vento HL now. If hyundai manages to keep the waiting time down, Vento is going to lose a lot of customers. I nearly fainted when they said 8 months for a HL.
Like I said before, no am janata will choose vento instead of Verna.
1) Verna has much more features than vento.
2) Being a Hyundai naturally is an added advantage in *** and network.
3) More power & Torque at least in paper.
4) Better designed interiors. Built is equally good.
5) 6 speed MT as well as auto option
6) Hopefully lower maintainance.
7) And more importantly with a wee bit more money.

So unless the am janata has an obsession for German brand there is no reason whatsoever to go for Vento.

However Personally I see 2 deal breakers
First is obviously the handling.
& May be the negligible lag in Vento is the deal maker here.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:11   #2108
BHPian

If I were going to have to choose between Vento and Verna today as a buyer, I'd choose Verna. Even though I own a vento.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:10   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said before, no am janata will choose vento instead of Verna.
1) Verna has much more features than vento.
2) Being a Hyundai naturally is an added advantage in *** and network.
3) More power & Torque at least in paper.
4) Better designed interiors. Built is equally good.
5) 6 speed MT as well as auto option
6) Hopefully lower maintainance.
7) And more importantly with a wee bit more money.

So unless the am janata has an obsession for German brand there is no reason whatsoever to go for Vento.

However Personally I see 2 deal breakers
First is obviously the handling.
& May be the negligible lag in Vento is the deal maker here.
Build quality is equally good ?? There is no escape from the body rattles of a Maruti or a Hyundai.
Taller gearing ratios optimised for fuel efficiency in ANHV matched against the Vento .. yeah it's truly a car for the aam junta , "more car per car" sells too in the market and sells by the bucketful
Old 17th May 2011, 19:20   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
If I were going to have to choose between Vento and Verna today as a buyer, I'd choose Verna. Even though I own a vento.
And you would prefer it, even after considering the incident that you had in March? Would you prefer to be in a Vento or in a ANHV when riding the cut branch of the tree ?
Old 17th May 2011, 19:22   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Build quality is equally good ?? There is no escape from the body rattles of a Maruti or a Hyundai.
Oh come on Hyundai's dont rattle even 10% of Marutis. Leave the santro aside.
I am yet to see body rattles in I10 or I20. And the interior is always of top quality. As far as comparison with vento goes, i meant the quality of parts inside.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:37   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh come on Hyundai's dont rattle even 10% of Marutis. Leave the santro aside.
I am yet to see body rattles in I10 or I20. And the interior is always of top quality. As far as comparison with vento goes, i meant the quality of parts inside.
Accents rattle as well as Vernas - can't comment on i10 or i20 since I never considered them as purchase options but considering that their build quality or finish is not very different from Maurtis I would be very surprised if they don't rattle .. the percentage as compared to Maruti is purely subjective but they do rattle. I have benchmarked it to Honda and Toyota who set benchmarks as far as build quality in concerned for the segment of cars we are considering and the rattle free ride even after they have done duties for 3-4 years is pretty impressive .
Old 17th May 2011, 22:23   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
And you would prefer it, even after considering the incident that you had in March? Would you prefer to be in a Vento or in a ANHV when riding the cut branch of the tree ?
If your point is that the built quality of Vento is better and its a tougher car, then may its true. But the difference wouldn't be much. So maybe I'd choose to be in the Vento but on the other hand if it was going to be serious accident, I'd choose Verna hands down. 6 airbags would give complete protection to ALL passengers.

Personally I think Verna is better because it has a very superior equipment level, a very helpful park assist system, 6 airbags, better HU, better interiors, better upholstery, less waiting time, good engine and better ergonomics + a reliable and proven a.s.s. Other than brand name, I don't see anywhere Vento scoring above Verna.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:07   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd choose Verna hands down. 6 airbags would give complete protection to ALL passengers.
6 airbags is hardly adds a a greater factor of safety. It is more of a marketing gimmick. Vento has much better ride and handling and trust me this factor adds more safety aspect than any x number of airbags. It will help you avoid an accident in the first place. Personally I believe the most necessary safety aspect is braking (with abs & ebd) and handling. I would spend money on dynamic stability control and stuff like that, than 4 extra airbags.

Quote:
Personally I think Verna is better because it has a very superior equipment level, a very helpful park assist system, 6 airbags, better HU, better interiors, better upholstery, less waiting time, good engine and better ergonomics + a reliable and proven a.s.s. Other than brand name, I don't see anywhere Vento scoring above Verna.
Features definitely yes. Engine? cant say yet. It has more lag than vento. I dont think it will rev freely to the redline like Vento. It may have more punch but I would prefer the wide REV range of Vento.

Another point you missed out is: Refinement of Hyundai diesels are out of VW's league. The only grouse I have against the Vento. Sounds like a matador.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:49   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

Another point you missed out is: Refinement of Hyundai diesels are out of VW's league. The only grouse I have against the Vento. Sounds like a matador.
I personally love the engine growl of the Vento. Feels like you are inside a tank :-)

Most Viewed