Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 11:04   #2116
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I personally love the engine growl of the Vento. Feels like you are inside a tank :-)
I too like the engine growl, but dont you think the growling during the early morning hours is much higher? It reduces to a likeable level after an hour or so of driving. Try driving with open windows in the morning to test it once.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:48   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I too like the engine growl, but dont you think the growling during the early morning hours is much higher? It reduces to a likeable level after an hour or so of driving. Try driving with open windows in the morning to test it once.
I agree the growl is a little shrill after a cold start, but in my case it doesn't take an hour of driving, roughly in the next 5 KM the engine noise is back again to the pleasant growl
Old 18th May 2011, 22:16   #2118
BHPian

Finally I could post my ownership thread. Here is the link
blackdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 04:22   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Refinement of Hyundai diesels are out of VW's league.
I can speak of German diesel reliability in the US despite the fact that they the Euro cars don't sell well here, and most sales are for petrol.

I've seen Jetta and Passat TDis with 200K+ miles in the US without problems as long as they were maintained properly. The body and interior of the car also holds well, unlike the Jap cars which show their age after 100K/5 yrs or so..

So I expect the Vento to score with the engine reliability and the build quality over time..
imjimmy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 11:59   #2120
BHPian

Two of my colleagues who booked Vento TDI HL, haven't changes their booking for Verna and they continue their waiting. They have their own convincing reason to stay for Vento.

Looks like car has more value apart from the missing gadgets when compared to Verna. Which is good for existing owners also
Old 19th May 2011, 13:26   #2121
BHPian

My neighbor and I just test drove a Verna. Till the test drive he was confused to pick between a Verna and a Vento. He was confused to pick between value for money (Verna with respect to its features' list) and Quality (Vento with exceptional build quality and better ride & handling).

So, we started 1st with the Verna and few things that we immediately picked were the cheap interior build quality, soft suspension resulting in wobbly ride & handling and uncomfortable rear seats (short in width to the front and not much under-thigh support). However, the features' list was impressive on a comparable trim level.

I immediately gave my neighbor a test drive in my shadow blue Vento on the same stretch of road that has numerous speed brakers, a long open stretch for doing 80-90 kmph and potholes to give a proper comparison when his memory is fresh about Verna. Where the Verna was scrapping the bottom with the speed brakers, the Vento was little better. He was impressed with the ride and interior quality on Vento. He immediately made his choice to go for Vento. He preferred quality over value for money (guess in India 90% will prefer the latter).

I can only say from this experience that picking a car is always subjective but make sure you do it in the right way (immediate comparisons when the memory is fresh and on an ideal road) and in the right mindset (pick what you like not what others buy or market).
Old 19th May 2011, 16:16   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yes the ex-showroom price for the TDI HL has increased from 931k to 939k in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
^^ I thought the ex showroom price went up only by .5% (VAT in KA on factory price is increased from 13.5% to 14% from this FY). My invoice puts it at 936K - the difference from the initial quote is about 4.5K. The road tax went up by 1.5K, so the overall increase should be about 6K from before.

@motorhead5, your estimate of 11.02L includes a corporate discount of 16K I suppose - it was actually 11.18L before the increase. Now it should be 11.25L IMO.
My bad. The figure I had mentioned was not correct. Apparently I heard it wrong when I had asked the dealer last time.

I confirmed today the post-March ex-showroom price in Bangalore: Rs 9,35,813/-, an increase of Rs. 4104 from the original figure quoted to me.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:00   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
I immediately gave my neighbor a test drive in my shadow blue Vento on the same stretch of road ....
We know , we know that you have the shadow blue Vento and quite a few of the early birds like me are jealous

ANHV is not going to be a segment crossover for Hyundai , its a car loaded with frills and should have its own fan following - I see little overlap with Vento here.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:11   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Two of my colleagues who booked Vento TDI HL, haven't changes their booking for Verna and they continue their waiting. They have their own convincing reason to stay for Vento.

Looks like car has more value apart from the missing gadgets when compared to Verna. Which is good for existing owners also
Though I didnt TD Verna, I had a detailed demo at Hyundai showroom. Not even once did I feel that I should have waited for Fluidic Verna (considering that I took delivery of Vento a month back)
Somehow, I feel Vento stands a bit higher than Verna despite those missing features. The VW badge would also be a reason I suppose ;-)

Another observation: There is no refreshed debate as such on TBHP regarding "king of C segment diesel" after Verna launch. Isnt it?
Old 20th May 2011, 00:02   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
There is no refreshed debate as such on TBHP regarding "king of C segment diesel" after Verna launch. Isnt it?
King of C segment diesel? May be yes.
Most fun to drive C segment diesel? Probably no.

Anyway still waiting for a Vento vs Verna vs Fiesta Diesel shootout from some decent auto mag. But before that Let fiesta be launched.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:42   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Yeah I will definately post some pics tomorrow. My HU review is also pending for quite some time and now i have some time at hand.
@Subodh- Still awaiting the pics and detailed review of your HU installation. After going through all the HU research and review threads , pertaining to Witson and Pioneer installation in the Vento and Polo(courtesy ankitprashar,chetanBG, ventoman) ,it seems to me that most of us are shying away from the WITSON on account of
1. No A.$.$
2. Not a vast improvement in sound quality from the stock HU(as ankit and subodh mentioned , it could definitely be improved by changing stock speakers).

So , if you could post your review and pics, it would definitely go a long way in helping a few of us who are still sitting on the fence.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:48   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
King of C segment diesel? May be yes.
Most fun to drive C segment diesel? Probably no.

Anyway still waiting for a Vento vs Verna vs Fiesta Diesel shootout from some decent auto mag. But before that Let fiesta be launched.
June edition of Autocar might feature the diesel shootout (Vento/Verna).
Old 20th May 2011, 10:52   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Today morning when I started my Vento (its was a little cooler with overnight rains), the engine was so rough and the idling made the car shake a bit.
It was terrible driving for about 2 kms with the engine noise even with audio on. Felt like driving a TATA truck. Why couldn't they make it a little refined?
Old 20th May 2011, 13:46   #2129
Distinguished - BHPian

This is curious, when, even with the humble Swift, the experience right from starting the engine is, "Can this really be a diesel?"
Old 20th May 2011, 14:25   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Today morning when I started my Vento (its was a little cooler with overnight rains), the engine was so rough and the idling made the car shake a bit.
It was terrible driving for about 2 kms with the engine noise even with audio on. Felt like driving a TATA truck. Why couldn't they make it a little refined?
The Vento *is* refined you just need to buy the right variant

On a serious note, do you think there is a problem? Oil levels low perhaps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks