Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:29   #2161
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys there is no such thing as engine noise that is initially more and then reduces. The engine noise of a vehicle remains the same. Only thing is that we get used to it after a few minutes and find it less loud.

Another interesting experiment that one can try is, Sit in a garbage dumpster for more than 15 mins and after that period you can't smell the dodgey stuff and find the dumpster to be extremely neutral in smell as if it never did stink. Similar stuff happens with our ears but the difference is that instead of the noise disappearing completely we find it less louder.

PS - Do not try the experiment i mentioned :P
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:00   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Guys there is no such thing as engine noise that is initially more and then reduces. The engine noise of a vehicle remains the same. Only thing is that we get used to it after a few minutes and find it less loud.

Another interesting experiment that one can try is, Sit in a garbage dumpster for more than 15 mins and after that period you can't smell the dodgey stuff and find the dumpster to be extremely neutral in smell as if it never did stink. Similar stuff happens with our ears but the difference is that instead of the noise disappearing completely we find it less louder.

PS - Do not try the experiment i mentioned :P
HAHA . Brilliant analogy! But yeah you are right, there cannot be a noise which is louder initially and then reduces on an engine. If there is an abnormal noise at all, then it would persist and is definitely indicative of some thing having gone wrong.

As you rightly said, the noise is something which we get accustomed to in a while, and hence feel it has disappeared.
ventolute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:51   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
O.T. What android app did you use? I am searching for a decent noise measurement app myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
What android app did you use, I would like to compare the DB levels with my Swift Petrol?
I used an app called deciBel (Free version). Check this link for more info. This app provides a graph plotting the decibel history. There are few more other apps similar to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
After checking the decibel levels, I too feel the same way. It may be just that, in the morning, when you just start driving the vehicle, sound generated by the becomes more audible in the absence of surrounding noise. As we drive & get into traffic gradually, we tend to feel that noise from the vehicle is reduced; because, by this time, the car noise is mixed up with surrounding noise! This was evident, as the decibel level was constant at around 83-85 throughout my driving time of 1 hour!

Last edited by blackdiesel : 23rd May 2011 at 20:58.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:38   #2164
BHPian

I have a swift diesel and to me the car sounds a bit louder in the morning after a cold start (specifically more clattery or harsh) than later in the day after being driven for a bit. Ive heard similar things about the Polo/Vento and i think GTO has mentioned the same in his review as well.

Last edited by radiokidb : 24th May 2011 at 09:39.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:03   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
I have a swift diesel and to me the car sounds a bit louder in the morning after a cold start (specifically more clattery or harsh) than later in the day after being driven for a bit. Ive heard similar things about the Polo/Vento and i think GTO has mentioned the same in his review as well.
Vento is a bit louder when compared to Swift. I have noticed this too since I drive both.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:31   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Vento is a bit louder when compared to Swift. I have noticed this too since I drive both.
No no i wasnt comparing Vento to Swift. Was talking only about the swift, specifically about the engine noise after a cold start vs when its been run a bit
Old 24th May 2011, 10:47   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
No no i wasnt comparing Vento to Swift. Was talking only about the swift, specifically about the engine noise after a cold start vs when its been run a bit
Oh ok. Yes, the sound is really visible after a cold start. But the sound in my car is pretty reasonable. Might be because I have clocked only 25k. How much did you clock?
Old 24th May 2011, 11:56   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I am so glad that isn't the case with me . The Swift (old engine, not K series) is loud as hell, while the Vento petrol is smooth as silk and barely audible except when I rev it really hard!
Old 24th May 2011, 13:05   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I have seen both the programs Autocar (Bloomberg) as well as Overdrive (CNBC) . In either of these 2, most probably on Autocar, (where there was a straight comparo between Vento and ANHV only and no other car) the verdict was Vento is a better car to drive and better car to be driven in .

I think the Autocar June edition would have that comparison . The in gear acceleration was interesting where the pedal was floored with both the cars in 3rd gear and travelling at 30 kmph, guess the cutout point was 80 kmph , Vento was timed at 10.5 sec something and ANHV was timed at 15.5 sec which is a bit surprising - of course thats understandable due to the spaced out gearing ratio with the 6 speed transmission box in the ANHV. As a result of that downshifting is very much required in city driving conditions. The ANHV is tuned for better mileage where it came out better than the Vento .

Both are good cars which would appeal to different people with different needs and different priorities - the ANHV is feature loaded with great looks and a powerful engine backed by great A.S.S which should be appealing to most whereas IMO Vento comes with a scorcher of an engine ( on paper figures not withstanding) , better driving characteristics and build quality which is at least a notch better if not more.
Waiting eagerly for the ford fiesta now
This is the Autocar Vento vs Verna review:

I really don't understand how Verna came out as the pick. According to the presenter the Vento has better build, much punchier engine, better suspension, better back seat space, better handling, better ride and stability. Against this the Verna has higher equipment level , a 6th speed gear box and better looks (subjective coz I think Vento looks more classy). So why would a buyer select the Verna?

In particular, I am surprised by the HUGE difference in in-gear acceleration times. Vento leads by almost 4 seconds in the 3rd gear, and close to 5 sec in the 4th gear That means that real-life performance of the Vento would be much better.

Where did Verna's extra horses go?

Last edited by imjimmy : 24th May 2011 at 13:15.
imjimmy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 13:10   #2170
Distinguished - BHPian

June edition of Autocar mag features the shootout. Verna, Vento and City.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:20   #2171
BHPian

Hi folks; haven't been frequenting this thread, and looking at the archives, I saw someone mentioning the grinding noise while depressing the clutch in the Vento.

Maybe it's too late to help, but we faced the same problem. To be sure, it was just some noise, and no impact on performance, but nonetheless we spoke to the dealer and VW. Turns out VW replaced some part after importing it from Germany (not sure of the exact part - but some pipe that connects the clutch assembly forward) - and the noise is GONE completely.

Also they did a recent ECU software update on the car when it was in the workshop for the above. The car runs much smoother now, and the overall engine noise seems less.

All said and done, was very impressed by the VW service. They had a engineer from Pune visiting the workshop and inspecting the cars..

Last edited by imjimmy : 24th May 2011 at 13:22.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:38   #2172
BHPian

That is some good service from VW. So we are getting good feedback regarding VW A$$. Further , read on Sourav s thread that he got s few coupons for free car washing etc.,

Havent heard in a long time about the sound from the clutch on any of the threads.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:33   #2173
BHPian

Yup even I have recieved a variety of coupons including free car wash, summer check-up, discount on V-kool sunfilm, Bluetooth etc.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:38   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Also they did a recent ECU software update on the car when it was in the workshop for the above. The car runs much smoother now, and the overall engine noise seems less.
Any effect on performance? I dont think they have used a new setting. They must have re flashed it.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:19   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Hi folks; haven't been frequenting this thread, and looking at the archives, I saw someone mentioning the grinding noise while depressing the clutch in the Vento.

Maybe it's too late to help, but we faced the same problem. To be sure, it was just some noise, and no impact on performance, but nonetheless we spoke to the dealer and VW. Turns out VW replaced some part after importing it from Germany (not sure of the exact part - but some pipe that connects the clutch assembly forward) - and the noise is GONE completely.

All said and done, was very impressed by the VW service. They had a engineer from Pune visiting the workshop and inspecting the cars..
Did they say why that sound was coming? When did you get this done? I mean after how many months post-delivery?

If this "bug" can be resolved, why cant VW replace the part for all those who complain about it? I am not liking that sound :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Yup even I have recieved a variety of coupons including free car wash, summer check-up, discount on V-kool sunfilm, Bluetooth etc.
Wow! thats cool May be it's time to visit the service station once

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks