Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 20:51   #2206
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

@huaweiguy- congrats on the IPL edition. The HU is very good, though I also observed like nishantgandhi that the software running it is buggy- hung twice when the SR was demoing it. Otherwise it's worth the additional 25K, eve if the IPL logos and the fake leather seats may not be.

BTW, 8.92 OTR for the Trendline IPL is almost the same as what the HIGHLINE Petrol MT costs in Pune (my AT was 9.94 OTR). Once again the cruelty of Karnataka's insane road tax comes to the fore!
Old 28th May 2011, 21:18   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I don't think there's anything to worry about , though I think that after a cold start you should let the engine idle for 45 sec to 1 min before engaging any gear. Post that I usually run in 1st gear for a min or 2 at least (at low speeds) before driving off at normal speed. Revving the engine immediately post a cold start is not advisable .
As per what is stated in the Vento manual, it is not recommended to keep idle engine in the morning. I was also told by many as you have written, but may be it is just a misconception? I dont know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Here is the noise data in my Vento TDI

After first start in the morning
When windows rolled down : 49db
When windows closed : 45db

In the main road with A/C on (Fan speed 2, Temp 23 C) : 54db
In my office: 44db

Looks good to me, I have used Sound Meter app for this.
Thats surprisingly far away from my results! I had used a different app "deciBEL Fast". Looks like it's due to calibration issues. However, to be on the same page, I could get this info from net:
Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

Near total silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
A car horn - 110 dB
A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

You know from your own experience that distance affects the intensity of sound -- if you are far away, the power is greatly diminished. All of the ratings above are taken while standing near the sound.

Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).
So, a car horn must show 110 dB in the app & normal conversation should show 60dB. Plz check it once again. I have downloaded Sound Meter as well (by Android Boy). I will test with this app too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
nice to see such a huge topic, well i booked my vento IPL edition today, getting delivery after 10th of June. very excited though to own a volkswagen.
Congrats!! And delivery in 2 weeks? Great! We can catch up some day after your delivery if you dont mind. Which color did you book? (Mine is a black one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvrit View Post
It seems the fear of omission of chrome from the highline models is true. Had inquired Volkswagen about the same on FB. They came up with the following ans:
Can anybody draw any conclusion to this whole process or rather can anybody decode their reply?
Well, I guess a feeler for an upcoming upgraded vento!!!
Thanks VWVRIT for following up with VW on this. I too did the same, but through Twitter. You got a decent reply from them though. Reply from dealership was that they thought it comes with highline models; which is not so. They themselves are confused!
Like you said, it is cost cutting that matters. Added to that, I am worried with the lack of consistency. It is not even a year after the launch, & we are seeing such small but not-acceptable behaviour. I am going to talk to the head of dealership. Lets see how it goes. Also, I am eagerly waiting (& hoping) to get the steering controls - I mean a steering wheel replacement if possible.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:00   #2208
Team-BHP Support

On the engine idling issue. Early morning, the engine bores have lost the lubricity. At idling, the high concentration of petrol reduces what ever lubricity there is. The best way is to start driving and higher revs throughs more oil around due ot increased oil pressure. That does not mean revving the engine off! merely driving normally
Old 28th May 2011, 23:21   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
On the engine idling issue. Early morning, the engine bores have lost the lubricity. At idling, the high concentration of petrol reduces what ever lubricity there is. The best way is to start driving and higher revs throughs more oil around due ot increased oil pressure. That does not mean revving the engine off! merely driving normally
It takes merely seconds to get the lubrication done in the bore. Also at low oil temperature, oil pressure is very high. And in such a case revving the engine will make matter worse.(off course wont cause any serious catastrophe). Anyway I dont see any harm in idling the engine after start-up.
Old 28th May 2011, 23:21   #2210
BHPian

Hey guys, for those who might be interested, I have posted some pics of my black vento - before & after sunfilm application. Here is the link.
Old 28th May 2011, 23:43   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
It takes merely seconds to get the lubrication done in the bore. Also at low oil temperature, oil pressure is very high. And in such a case revving the engine will make matter worse.(off course wont cause any serious catastrophe). Anyway I dont see any harm in idling the engine after start-up.
+(1)> agree with you Oxyzen. Infact the moment you start the engine, the lube should be splashed onto the liner walls and the lubricity of the liner is restored with the piston rings carrying the oil with it.
So I guess idling the engine should ideally not pose a problem. Infact in larger engines, of bore dia 300mm and more( generator engines etc.,), where they are not pre lubricated by some means, it is recommended to idle for some time before adding any load to them.
This allows a gradual increase in the engine temperature,the piston and the liner walls and prevents thermal shocks from causing damage.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:45   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).
[/indent]So, a car horn must show 110 dB in the app & normal conversation should show 60dB. Plz check it once again. I have downloaded Sound Meter as well (by Android Boy). I will test with this app too.
Sure, Let me know how it goes?

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 30th May 2011 at 14:47.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:22   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Sure, Let me know how it goes?
I checked the readings with Sound Meter app today:

In neutral gear with stationary vehicle: 61-64 dB
While driving - in any gear, most of the roads, tested for more than 15 km: 70-73 dB

In switched off condition, in a traffic signal: 50-55 dB
At my office: 45-50 dB

@TopSpeeder: If I check at my home, the moment I start the engine, I will also get lesser dB values (due to lesser environmental noise). However, I am wondering if my car's average engine noise is more, as your reading of 54 dB seems very good as compared to my 70-73 dB!
Old 31st May 2011, 10:32   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel

I checked the readings with Sound Meter app today:

In neutral gear with stationary vehicle: 61-64 dB
While driving - in any gear, most of the roads, tested for more than 15 km: 70-73 dB

In switched off condition, in a traffic signal: 50-55 dB
At my office: 45-50 dB

@TopSpeeder: If I check at my home, the moment I start the engine, I will also get lesser dB values (due to lesser environmental noise). However, I am wondering if my car's average engine noise is more, as your reading of 54 dB seems very good as compared to my 70-73 dB!
The average sound levels would also depend on the ambient noise around your car. So I would not recommend comparing the levels in 2 cars in different locations. Ideally both cars should be at the same place or the levels should be tested in a place where there is little ambient noise. IMO
Old 31st May 2011, 10:54   #2215
Senior - BHPian

The ambient noise with some out of phase pulses might be cancelling on your main noise!

I think the engines are a bit noisy but then its not really that serious
Old 31st May 2011, 16:41   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I'm also getting the same reading for inside office, So calibration is not required.

This is the reading of after Summer Camp, I haven't checked it earlier. You may want to check with them for updating the ECU Firmware.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:52   #2217
BHPian

Had my first minor accident with my Silver rocket TDI HL last evening. Damn autorickshaw driver lost his brakes. Anyways he hit me on the passenger front bumber side. However the bulk of the impact was taken by the transparent plastic protector film strip. A set of 13 strips are put at various strategic locations like door sides, bumber corners, etc. which are most susceptible to scratches from errant motorists and rickshaw drivers. Whole set of 13 strips cost me 850 bucks.

In light of the above, must say worth it, as I got couple of minor scratches on the bumber. Just a touchup and a new strip should do the trick.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:11   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
Had my first minor accident with my Silver rocket TDI HL last evening. Damn autorickshaw driver lost his brakes. Anyways he hit me on the passenger front bumber side. However the bulk of the impact was taken by the transparent plastic protector film strip. A set of 13 strips are put at various strategic locations like door sides, bumber corners, etc. which are most susceptible to scratches from errant motorists and rickshaw drivers. Whole set of 13 strips cost me 850 bucks.

In light of the above, must say worth it, as I got couple of minor scratches on the bumber. Just a touchup and a new strip should do the trick.
Its good that you got away with minimal impact.
Could you please share some details & pics of the transparent strip. I guess those are needed in Bangalore as well.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:39   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Currently at VW service. I met a couple of customers who have complaints about the ground clearance and how it doesnt match our roads. SA said there are even more complaints with the Polo on this aspect.
Getting the ECU version checked and gear lever vibration when on 4th gear
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:41   #2220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Currently at VW service. I met a couple of customers who have complaints about the ground clearance and how it doesnt match our roads. SA said there are even more complaints with the Polo on this aspect.
Getting the ECU version checked and gear lever vibration when on 4th gear
This is true. The GC isnt good for our road conditions. Adding to this, the rigid mud flaps scrapes the ground everytime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks