Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:20   #2221
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I am actually very satisfied with the GC, It has never ever scraped any speed breaker, pothole in Bangalore or on my trips to Goa, Ooty and Bandipur.

However I agree that the hard mud flabs are a pain
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:59   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Currently at VW service. I met a couple of customers who have complaints about the ground clearance and how it doesnt match our roads. SA said there are even more complaints with the Polo on this aspect.
Getting the ECU version checked and gear lever vibration when on 4th gear
I didn't have any reason to complain about the GC in Mumbai or even when I did a trip to Goa with 4 adults + 2 kids .
I personally though do not like the "service position" functionality of the wiper. Apart from the very apparent problem of the wiper being damaged by the wash guy if we forget to put the wipers in the service position , I am more worried about the possibility of the windscreen glass getting scratches when the wiper moves to the "service" position . Indian cities are dusty and the windscreen always have a layer of dust on them . I am worried about the impact of the wiper blades moving on the dust covered glass while travelling to the service position ! Even if the spray is deployed , at least one wipe happens under dry condition which is bad enough - thats my observation !
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:20   #2223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I am actually very satisfied with the GC, It has never ever scraped any speed breaker, pothole in Bangalore or on my trips to Goa, Ooty and Bandipur.

Same here. I have had a couple of nervous moments when a loud noise emanated from the back and then immense relief as I realised it was those damned mudflaps . What are they made of- iron?

I'll last out the monsoon on these and then probably change to soft ones. Any suggestions welcome.

@souravc: That "service position" is really annoying and today proved a little embarrassing since the Shell guy offered to clean my windshield and it tok e 3 tries to finally get them up. Meantime he was fiddling with them trying to pull them up till I told him sharply to lay off. Poor kid!

Last edited by noopster : 3rd June 2011 at 12:22.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:28   #2224
Senior - BHPian

I honestly do not think that the GC is an issue. Ive driven it quite a few times, albiet on city roads and find no isues whatsoever. Even on those god forsaken things they call speed breakers, the car goes over smoothly.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:41   #2225
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess the scraping noise of the hard mudflaps is mistaken for the scraping of the car body. Have not heard about low GC from Polo owners too.

Cheers!
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:52   #2226
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Scraping the mud flap is the culprit here. However, scraped the body a couple of times. But in short, I wouldnt complain about the GC.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:32   #2227
Senior - BHPian

I dont have the mudflaps. I have not had major GC issues since I know the limits of the car. But most VW customers were complaining about this.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:39   #2228
mxx
BHPian

did anyone change their engine oil after the run in/break in?
If so, what is the cost for the same?
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:45   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
did anyone change their engine oil after the run in/break in?
If so, what is the cost for the same?
I did after around 5K km since the oil level was low .. put in Mobil which is synthetic and cost around 4K ( don't remember the exact ), semi -synthetic should be half as costly and mineral oil around one third .
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:53   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I'll last out the monsoon on these and then probably change to soft ones. Any suggestions welcome.

@souravc: That "service position" is really annoying and today proved a little embarrassing since the Shell guy offered to clean my windshield and it tok e 3 tries to finally get them up. Meantime he was fiddling with them trying to pull them up till I told him sharply to lay off. Poor kid!
My suggestion on the hard mud flap - change it asap . I had the hard ones ( which is called box type) with my Swift and one rough scrap took it out which also tore off a small chunk of the body work / mud guard lining . I am scared of the same thus i put the semi-flexible ones which bends but still does not flap around . With the Vento body treatment I do not think monsoons can impact in anyways , especially in Pune which is far from the corrosive sea breeze.

On the "service position" of wipers , i am getting irritated by the day - hate driving cars with scratches on the windscreen , makes night driving so uncomfortable and I am so dead sure that the wiper moving to the position in dry condition every day will just hasten the effect. I am planning to write a detailed mail to the VW folks with a long list of wishes and it would be one of them - hopefully it will be given a patient read since we bank them too
Old 4th June 2011, 18:42   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Volks
Summer camp attendance done today - overall a good experience at the service centre on time delivery of the car after the checkups . I cannot say that there is any perceptible improvement given that my car was anyways running perfectly . Given that monsoons has set in Mumbai and there were showers today , the air conditioning could not be tested for any improvement.

I felt that the sound of the engine has smoothened as compared to that prior to the summer camp visit , though i must admit this perception maybe due to me trying hard to find out some improvement out of this summer camp
Old 4th June 2011, 20:15   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Even I too went for the Summer Camp today at KSM Motors Navi Mumbai. Very very bad experience. First of all I took an appointment two days back for the same at 10:30 am. I reach the place a 11 am. The receptionist at the workshop tells me your car will be taken into workshop in 20 min. I'm told you need a coupon to avail Summer Camp offer, I say I dont have one, they say than we cant give you the service. On requesting workshop manager, he said as you have come over will be do it without the coupon.
After an hour the car is taken in. I had a problem with the right headlight, it wasn't giving proper focus. After checking it up and trying other Vento's right headlight it was giving proper focus. So ultimately, it was decided to replace the headlight complete assembly under warranty. As they weren't having the part in stock, I will have to wait till they give a call when the part arrives in stock.
Next thing, its 4 pm still nothing done on the car, I got really fed up and said I dont need your any Summer Camp thing and ordered to get the gate pass and I left the place. Simple waste of 5 hrs.
It seems these guys are interested only if you are there for a delivery or some repair work which will earn them money. For free stuff they dont care at all. Very sad.
There was one silver Vento with 4 TBhp stickers, numbered MH03 AZ3088 at the workshop. Couldn't locate the owner. Who are you?
Another thing most of the Vento owners do admire my ride at the workshop.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 4th June 2011 at 20:19.
Old 4th June 2011, 20:43   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Currently at VW service. I met a couple of customers who have complaints about the ground clearance and how it doesnt match our roads. SA said there are even more complaints with the Polo on this aspect.
Getting the ECU version checked and gear lever vibration when on 4th gear
In my experience till now, (nearing 2 months) this scraping has happened only once on some non-standard road hump, while the car was loaded with 4 people. Overall, I don't have any qualms about GC; at least till now.

And I havnt received any invitation for summer camp till date. I am planning to fix a date anyway by calling them.

I am noticing a little noise near left front passenger door while driving & would like to get it checked & also to get the firmware upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
I dont have the mudflaps. I have not had major GC issues since I know the limits of the car. But most VW customers were complaining about this.
Well, I too don't have mud flaps, & didn't feel like going for it as it would change the look of the car at the time of delivery. However, given the rainy days in Bangalore & a lot of potholes, I am beginning to feel the necessity. On a rainy day, by the time I reach home, I see muddy water sprinkled over the rear part of the car on other painted surfaces as well as surfaces above the mud flap area.

So, can you guys suggest any specific type of flaps which do not alter the look of the car, while protecting the metallic surfaces.
Old 5th June 2011, 01:59   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post

Even I never had the scrapping issue. Btw, I do not have mud flaps yet..
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Well, I too don't have mud flaps, & didn't feel like going for it as it would change the look of the car at the time of delivery. However, given the rainy days in Bangalore & a lot of potholes, I am beginning to feel the necessity. On a rainy day, by the time I reach home, I see muddy water sprinkled over the rear part of the car on other painted surfaces as well as surfaces above the mud flap area.

So, can you guys suggest any specific type of flaps which do not alter the look of the car, while protecting the metallic surfaces.
I dont have mud flaps and plan to add at least till the rains are over. Let me know if you find some good options. I do not want to put VW ones!!. I saw couple of other local models. Didn't put those as it wasn't fitting very well and I will have to drill 2 holes to fit it in.
Old 5th June 2011, 02:22   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
There was one silver Vento with 4 TBhp stickers, numbered MH03 AZ3088 at the workshop. Couldn't locate the owner. Who are you?
That's my ride
I had forgotten to take the coupon and the letter and was similarly told that I can't have it - we worked a compromise that one of their guys would come down to my house with me and pick the docs up . I had anyways decided not to stay back for 4 hours so got it from home myself
Did they fill up a job card for the summer camp as well as the headlight work ? I was given a copy of the job card the moment my car was taken . Who was your service assistant ? Aniruddha ? He seemed to be a very decent guy , was earlier with a Maruti station and we chatted up on spares cost , etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks