Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 19:12   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Perhaps the wow factor is the engine itself (in the case of diesel version). Two reasons I can think of for people to buy the Vento TDI is the diesel engine and the VW badge. Some people (like me) might be wary of the cost-to-maintain or the A.S.S. But there are others who are willing to take the plunge.
Vento is like team RCB. And the diesel engine being Gayle.
Jokes apart surely the diesel engine itself is the WOW factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Aren't those qualities something to plonk one's money on?
I have driven both Polo 1.6 and Vento TDi before my booking and one thing I can assure you there is no comparison as far as performance is concerned.
This is an article from AutoX and I with the guy 100%.

Quote:
Before I begin raving about the handling characteristics of the car, I must say that the chassis felt like it could easily handle much more powerful engines. Both the engines currently on offer – petrol and diesel – consume exactly the same volume of fuel and air (1,598cc) to produce exactly the same amount of power (105bhp). The petrol engine churns out 153Nm of rotating force, while the diesel manages an impressive 250Nm. Both the engines get 5-speed manual gearboxes, while the spark-ignition motor also gets a 6-speed automatic, which is a traditional torque convertor deal rather than the acclaimed DSG that we’ve gotten used to seeing on various cars from the VW family.

Though the power rating of the engines is the same, they behave in drastically different ways. I am a proper petrol fan when it comes to fossil fuels, and it pains me to say this – the petrol motor in the Vento is hopelessly underpowered. Come to think of it, the Vento will mostly be driven in town, on congested roads, and the petrol engine has almost no grunt whatsoever low in the rev range. While driving the manual, and doing a typical in-town speed of 25km/h in third gear, I gave it a boot-full and waited. Then waited some more. And a bit more. After waiting long enough, I got bored, and tried to look for a scenic spot to click some photographs. Then I looked back at the speedo, and I was just touching 50km/h. Even at triple digit speeds in top gear, things were more or less the same – pitiful. The engine has a more than acceptable mid-range though (anything beyond 3,500 revs is good), and third gear is tall enough that it allows you to hold on to revs without breaking into a sweat. So, you manage slow speeds with some difficulty, but gain some relief as the needle climbs higher. The engine is also unpleasantly vocal. It sounds rather angry, as though it’s not enjoying the right-foot treatment being meted out.

I wouldn’t call myself a confirmed convert, but yes, I was mighty impressed with this common-rail diesel engine. Though the decibel levels can be high, it felt equally at ease doing 15 km/h as it did while showing three-digit figures on the speedo. There is just a hint of turbo lag below 1,400 rotations, but cross that and the motor spins with enthusiasm. The gearbox is perfectly mated to the engine, and the ratios are evenly spaced out to deliver miles of satisfaction. Step on the accelerator pedal, and the action of your foot instantly translates to a linear gain of speed as displayed on the instrument cluster in front of you.

I’m hell bent on making you understand this, but I’m struggling to formulate and convey the sensation in words. Consider this – when you’re driving a high performance car, everything happens faster than you can initially keep up with mentally. Conversely, when you’re driving your granddads car, you’re three steps ahead of it all the time. But the diesel Vento is always perfectly in sync with your mind. It feels so intuitive that it’s uncanny. This 1.6 litre oil burner is essentially the same that powers the Polo Cup racers, but has been toned down to match its behaviour with the sedan. So, the fact that it performs as well as it does is no surprise.
Quote:
While the diesel is more torquey, the petrol is no slouch either, the sales are bound to suffer due to petrol-diesel arbitrage rather than anything
So compare no of Petrol Ventos sold v/s city or petrol Verna. (in-case someone has numbers to share)

Last edited by oxyzen : 8th June 2011 at 19:20.
Old 9th June 2011, 00:20   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I have driven both Polo 1.6 and Vento TDi before my booking and one thing I can assure you there is no comparison as far as performance is concerned.
If I understand correctly you have booked a Vento TDi , am I right ? I have done nearly 7000 km with my TDi and have clocked at least 50 km on my friend's petrol MT Vento. IMO the petrol MT is quite a powerful, refined and well handling car. Frankly the way the article has been written does not enthuse much respect, looks more like desktop review - I find it weird that he found Vento petrol to be underpowered, he must be bred on a daily diet of Ferraris !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
So compare no of Petrol Ventos sold v/s city or petrol Verna. (in-case someone has numbers to share)
Even if the numbers are available, it would be an exercise worth doing after another 6 months when sales of Vento and New Verna settle down and Honda recovers from its Japan related production issues
Old 9th June 2011, 10:43   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I understand correctly you have booked a Vento TDi , am I right ? I have done nearly 7000 km with my TDi and have clocked at least 50 km on my friend's petrol MT Vento. IMO the petrol MT is quite a powerful, refined and well handling car. Frankly the way the article has been written does not enthuse much respect, looks more like desktop review - I find it weird that he found Vento petrol to be underpowered, he must be bred on a daily diet of Ferraris !
Yes I have booked a TDi. Was in 2 minds whether to change the booking to Verna. But after a Verna TD it was not necessary.

I have seen better petrol motors.
1) T-Jet
2) City
3) Fiesta 1.6

In the diesel segment I got my head scratching.
Quote:
Even if the numbers are available, it would be an exercise worth doing after another 6 months when sales of Vento and New Verna settle down and Honda recovers from its Japan related production issues
lets see what happens a few months down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Forgive me but this is just your opinion. Unfortunately it seems to be shared by almost everyone on T-BHP.
I never said Vento Petrol is not a good choice. It is a very decent car. But not enough to take my heary away.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand how people can go ga-ga over the very same engine when its fitted into the Polo hatchback but dismiss it in the sedan version!
Neither do I. Both are similar in almost all aspects. Performance, Handling, Ride etc.

Quote:
Anyway, I have no intention to get into a prolonged agrument on this matter- just thought I should give the perspective of a happy petrol Vento owner
Cheers
Noops
I am sorry if I have hurt anybody's feelings here. Just wanted to share my opinion. Neither do I want a prolonged heated argument.
Old 9th June 2011, 20:17   #2254
Senior - BHPian

BTW guys, although I don't want a full fledged SWOT analysis, why not put a comment or two on my current mode of thinking:
Although I have not yet booked the Vento, its there in my top running. I have to buy a car before the end of year and if I can't afford the Jetta (which most likely I won't), its the Vento all the way.

I won't buy

Verna--> Its Hyundai. When I get German stuff for the same price, why will I buy Korean. Alhough I appreciate the effort that has gone in to make that car. As a product, its a complete all rounder.

Fiesta--> It looks too small. With this I would have to change my Swift as well (coz I need at least one 'feel good' factor car).

ANHC--> Petrol. Also, I have always liked the Civic so much better than the ANHC, that if I go the Honda way, I'll buy pre owned Civic.

Linea--> You beauty queen. Italian supermodel. Unfortunately, the anemic engines rule it out. If they had a 1.6MJD and 'dual logic' box, then we would be talking.

SX4--> MM. Mediocre Maruti. Although I love my Swift, when I go up the ladder, I want better quality, which Maruti doesn't provide.

So, Vento the default choice. however, my choice depends on how much 'goody goody' can I make my Vento. Coz at the end of the day, its a quality 'plan jane' car. Ain't it!

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th June 2011 at 13:12. Reason: Discussion on projectors moved to independent thread. Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 13:07   #2255
BHPian

Volks,

I have noticed new arrival in Witson HU for VW, Did anyone checked it for Vento?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-witson-vw-series.jpg

Check the system with 'New' tag, I hope it fits for Vento??
I have asked for the detail, will let you all know once I get it.

Thanks,
Manickam

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 10th June 2011 at 13:10.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:16   #2256
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Support: All the discussion on Projector Headlamps moved to a new independent thread (Projector Headlamps for VW Vento). Please continue the discussion there. Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 13:45   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Volks,

I have noticed new arrival in Witson HU for VW, Did anyone checked it for Vento?

Attachment 558037

Check the system with 'New' tag, I hope it fits for Vento??
I have asked for the detail, will let you all know once I get it.

Thanks,
Manickam
Hey Manickam,
Yeah i did see this one before ordering my 723 V. From the details tab on both the units, all I could gather was that , this unit has a much bigger touch screen and the size of the buttons on the side have been reduced to those tiny litte fellows.

So basically, gone are the OE looks of the HU which is what most people were looking for when they went in for Witson. If the OE look is not important , then you might as well go in for some reputed brand with good A$$.
1)Why would you want to plonk your money on something which has no A$$?
2) This is a newly launched device. If it runs the same thing as the 723 V ,its ok, but if it has something new,maybe it could have bugs. Better to wait for some reviews-methinks!!

I have posted two links of some other manufacturers I found online,on the below link in the Ask the gurus Section:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...w-vento-3.html

post #36 and #37.

If you are interested, you could gather information from them too.
There are varied reports about good and bad units and also excellent customer support as well from them on various other forums.

I decided to bite the bullet with Witson, going by AnkitPrashars review and his latest update that Witson has not given him any problems so far.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:23   #2258
BHPian

@ventolute

I agree, Apart from Witson I don't see any close match HU and 723V is the perfect OE fit.

But looks to me that the 9235V can understand the CANBUS well and display Climate Control, Door Ajar and more. This is what I'm making out from their website, Yet to verify it.

This is price information I have received from Witson:
W2-D723V with GPS (no map included)+shipping cost by DHL (door to door service) is USD385.00

W2-D9235V with GPS (no map included)+shipping cost by DHL (door to door service) is USD400.00

USD10.00 for 2.0 GB SD card with copy Igo map for India

USD25.00/pc for rear view camera W2-C320V

USD90.00/pc for DVB-T-08
Old 10th June 2011, 15:41   #2259
BHPian

@Top speeder. True that. I missed those two. My bad.But I guess those two are features that may/may not work, like in the earlier versions which supported only certain models of VW. These features , we can live without if we dont want to compromise on the OE look. But yeah, if they work well and good. Would be great if they could integrate the same into the 723 model as well.

But for me the two big knobs with the red backlighting is the perfect OE fitment.
I got the same quote as well. I have taken the Igo maps and the reverse camera.But I wonder how good Igo maps are for India. I am still snooping around in forums to glean some information on IGO maps.

The DVB- T-08 ,I find would be of no use. I dont know if we have any broadcasts apart from DD which can be caught on it.

Last edited by ventolute : 10th June 2011 at 15:43.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:48   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Yeah i did see this one before ordering my 723 V.
@Ventolute: You finally decided to go for Witson? May be I missed your earlier post. I thought you were looking at Motevo? If it is Witson, how about the audio quality? Ventoman & others have confirmed audio quality isnt that good in Witson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
@ventolute

I agree, Apart from Witson I don't see any close match HU and 723V is the perfect OE fit.

But looks to me that the 9235V can understand the CANBUS well and display Climate Control, Door Ajar and more. This is what I'm making out from their website, Yet to verify it.

This is price information I have received from Witson:
W2-D723V with GPS (no map included)+shipping cost by DHL (door to door service) is USD385.00

W2-D9235V with GPS (no map included)+shipping cost by DHL (door to door service) is USD400.00

USD10.00 for 2.0 GB SD card with copy Igo map for India

USD25.00/pc for rear view camera W2-C320V

USD90.00/pc for DVB-T-08
Have you seen Witson in person in a Vento? I want to check it once; which may help us to make a decision. Any idea who has Witson in Bangalore? As I know Ventoman doesnt have it anymore. If we can find a BHPian, we can meet up & check the instrument once.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:59   #2261
BHPian

[quote=blackdiesel;2386393]@Ventolute: You finally decided to go for Witson? May be I missed your earlier post. I thought you were looking at Motevo? If it is Witson, how about the audio quality? Ventoman & others have confirmed audio quality isnt that good in Witson!

hey black diesel, yeah I finally went ahead with the Witson.I had posted about it in Ankits thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-6-polo-8.html
post #109

Well, as advised by my accessories guy and a lot of others on the forum, If you are looking for a SQ install, you probably would not be looking at these touchscreen units and that too Chinese. But I am not and audiophile and I dont have music thumping in my car.

I am just an average listener and the sound output from the witson is supposed to be pretty decent , with an upgrade in the speakers..front comps powered by a 2ch amp and rear coaxials. I think that should suffice for an average guy like me.

So I decided to go for it. Motevo seems to be over priced too just for A$$. If this unit (witson) works for 2 - 3 years and then breaks down, I would not be bothered as , it would still be money well spent.
I will be getting the install done in a couple of days, and will post details, so you can get a fair idea.
ventolute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 21:14   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Folks since the day I started driving my Vento I have always wondered how does the rpm of the TDi unit stay rock solid at 900 rpm when the foot is off the pedal ! This is even with the ac switched on - there is not even a slight flicker. Usually for most cars that I have driven, it moves-however slightly . Any inputs that would help me understand why this is achieved would be much appreciated. I am a bit gobsmacked
Old 10th June 2011, 22:06   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks since the day I started driving my Vento I have always wondered how does the rpm of the TDi unit stay rock solid at 900 rpm when the foot is off the pedal ! This is even with the ac switched on - there is not even a slight flicker. Usually for most cars that I have driven, it moves-however slightly . Any inputs that would help me understand why this is achieved would be much appreciated. I am a bit gobsmacked
Generally Idle RPM is not supposed to flicker. Even if you are in 3rd gear, the engine will maintain idle RPM with foot off the accelerator. A petrol engine can apply as much as 35% torque with your foot off the accelerator to maintain the idle RPM.

It changes with change in coolant temperature but once warmed up it settles to a fixed value. Generally with the AC turned on the RPM increases. Please check with other Vento owners as well.
Old 11th June 2011, 11:01   #2264
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
I am just an average listener and the sound output from the witson is supposed to be pretty decent , with an upgrade in the speakers..front comps powered by a 2ch amp and rear coaxials. I think that should suffice for an average guy like me.
Then why not stick with the stock unit and save some money. If you require gps, you can always go for MMI units, with the best - compared to competition - India maps.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:19   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Then why not stick with the stock unit and save some money. If you require gps, you can always go for MMI units, with the best - compared to competition - India maps.
Its not just the GPS that I am going for.
1. Beautiful touchscreen interface
2. USB input
3. IPOD interface
4. As an added incentive the GPS
5. DVD - well its there, hence its good
6. Reverse camera integrated into the system

For all the above mentioned features which are not in the stock unit, I decided to go for it. Plus its not as expensive as a JVC or a Pio or even the other Chinese brands.

For GPS since its a wince based unit, I could probably get MMI working on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks