Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 10:13   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Thanks Souravc.

Today only I read the message, I went to CBE and did the topup there on Saturday.
They have added .5 Ltr 5W-40 Castrol. It was costing me Rs 486.
The SE mentioned I don't need to add more since I will be changing the oil in service.(Done 10,750 kms, 4250 kms to go)
Sounds good Topspeeder , I find it a bit curious that you managed 10K kms without a oil topup and when your oil level was showing low you needed only 0.5 ltr of top-up . A full refill is around 4 ltrs . Whereas you did a topup at 10K km many of us did it around 5K km . Any of the TDi owners ( Naveen , evilshantanu, etc) who can share after how many km they needed a top-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Just checked and the VW Vento recommended engine oil, Castrol Magnatec 5W40, is actually fully synthetic.

FWIW, looking at other 5W40 synthetic oils, the 3 below were easiest to find, and should meet/exceed the Vento oil specifications -

Castol Magnatec Professional ( API SM/CF ; ACEA C3/A3/B4) : Magnatec Professional B4 5W-40

Mobil 1 Delvac: (API CI-4+/CI-4/CH-4/SL/SJ ; ACEA E7/E4): Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra : (API-CF; ACEA -B3/B4): Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - India
This is useful, as long as we get the name right the API is taken care of. IMO Mobil 1 Delvac is the best of the lot even though Castrol is the recommended one.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:25   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked and the VW Vento recommended engine oil, Castrol Magnatec 5W40, is actually fully synthetic.

FWIW, looking at other 5W40 synthetic oils, the 3 below were easiest to find, and should meet/exceed the Vento oil specifications -

Castol Magnatec Professional ( API SM/CF ; ACEA C3/A3/B4) : Magnatec Professional B4 5W-40

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra : (API-CF; ACEA -B3/B4): Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - India
Is Vento TDI DPF equipped?

The reason I ask is because Castrol Megnatec Professional is ACEA C3, which is for new low SAPS oils (0.8% ash). This oil is generally required in cars with DPF. So if Vento is DPF equipped, the other two oils in the post above are not suitable. They are for cars w/o DPF. If there is a DPF, Vento TDI should need oil which specifically has ACEA C3 rating. I think the best is to look for oils with VW approval 505.01. I think oils with this approval are recommended for Vento by VW.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 19th July 2011 at 10:27.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:45   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sounds good Topspeeder , I find it a bit curious that you managed 10K kms without a oil topup and when your oil level was showing low you needed only 0.5 ltr of top-up . A full refill is around 4 ltrs . Whereas you did a topup at 10K km many of us did it around 5K km . Any of the TDi owners ( Naveen , evilshantanu, etc) who can share after how many km they needed a top-up?
Just curious, Why do you guys need a top up at 5K? Is it because, engine oil is less when you buy it new from showroom? or is because some sort of leak happens that oil level comes down?
Old 19th July 2011, 11:24   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Is Vento TDI DPF equipped?

The reason I ask is because Castrol Megnatec Professional is ACEA C3, which is for new low SAPS oils (0.8% ash). This oil is generally required in cars with DPF. So if Vento is DPF equipped, the other two oils in the post above are not suitable. They are for cars w/o DPF. If there is a DPF, Vento TDI should need oil which specifically has ACEA C3 rating. I think the best is to look for oils with VW approval 505.01. I think oils with this approval are recommended for Vento by VW.
Amit , I beg to differ here ( and I maybe horribly wrong ). IMO an oil which can be used for vehicles without DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter ? ) can also be used for vehicles with DPF . Specifically on Vento , it does have seem to have DPF fitted.
refer Technical Glossary < Innovations < Welcome to Volkswagen India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Just curious, Why do you guys need a top up at 5K? Is it because, engine oil is less when you buy it new from showroom? or is because some sort of leak happens that oil level comes down?
Its not because of leak or because oil is less when car is delivered from the showroom. Its because the engine is tuned to "drink" more oil during the initial settling down period ( 15K I suppose) - from the experience of the other BHP-ians this looks like a characteristic of VW TDi engines (even Skoda has similar characteristic) . IMO its better that moving parts have more lube when new .
Old 19th July 2011, 12:14   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Amit , I beg to differ here ( and I maybe horribly wrong ). IMO an oil which can be used for vehicles without DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter ? ) can also be used for vehicles with DPF . Specifically on Vento, it does have seem to have DPF fitted.
refer Technical Glossary < Innovations < Welcome to Volkswagen India
Yes souravc, I meant DPF to be Diesel Particulate Filter. The link you provided explains DPF and it's functionality but does not have any mention of Vento. So I am not sure if Vento TDI is equipped with DPF or not. I don't own one but some of members who do, can check on this by going though the user manual. All of this discussion is not so relevant if Vento TDI is not equipped with DPF. Also, please do not think that I am trying to prove my point here, it's just that I saw the post on other oils (Shell helix ultra and Delvac 1) and thought of clarifying so none of the members do a mistake of filling up wrong oil for Vento.

Engine oils for DPF equipped cars are indeed different from non DPF one's. Infact it's specifically mentioned on the can of Shell helix ultra 5W40 that it's suitable for cars w/o DPF (and in the link provided by imjimmy in earlier post as well). Mobil Delvac 1 is also for cars w/o DPF. Mobil's oil for DPF equipped engines is called Delvac 1 ESP (Emission System Protection), but probably is not available in India.

For more details on Oils for DPF equipped cars, one can also refer to API section on this page (towards the end):
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

This discussion is a bit off topic here, so we can discuss in more detail in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

My suggestion to Vento owners, do not worry about filling oils etc from outside, just fill the Castrol Megnatec Professional from VW service centres. Cars are in warranty and going by reviews, VW seems to be offering good service. You all have great rides, enjoy them!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 19th July 2011 at 12:16.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 12:24   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Engine oils for DPF equipped cars are indeed different from non DPF one's.
I agree. My assumption was that Vento does NOT have the DPF, but I guess we need to check the manual. Based on what I recalled, the DPF was used for the Pump Duse Engines sold in Europe and the Indian CRDi engines didn't come with DPF? (again I may be totally wrong here).

If the Vento DOES indeed have the DPF, then the only oils compatible would be those with the VW 505.01 and VW 507.00 (latest) standard i.e ACEA C3. In which case Mobil 1 Delvac and Shell Ultra would not the correct oils.

Thanks for pointing out. Will ask my folks to check the manual. Cheers!

Last edited by imjimmy : 19th July 2011 at 12:30.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:44   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Excellent informastion.
I suggest you use Mobil1 Delvac.
CI grade is superior to CF and CH.
Old 20th July 2011, 00:39   #2453
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch
Just dropped a mail to VW customer care in India and Germany about the missing features. Hope to get a sensible reply explaining the reason for these cost cutting measures.

I hope it is not a
Did you get any reply on the missing chrome inserts ?
Old 20th July 2011, 00:41   #2454
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

Thanks for voicing your concerns mate, being a Vento owner you have experienced it first hand. This is indeed absolutely shoddy marketing by VW. My eyes have been wide opened by this enlightenment. Vento was in my short list & more so owing to the facelifted Vento expected in October this year with the smoked headlamps, steering mounted audio controls etc. At times we get completely blinded by the product & miss on the finer points (like no free service, no comfortline etc). Thanks once again for highligting these, I have now pushed VW to the bottom of my list
This is interesting to know that there would be a face lifted vent in oct... Is this speculative or on cards indeed? Can anyone confirm?
Old 20th July 2011, 09:58   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
This is interesting to know that there would be a face lifted vent in oct... Is this speculative or on cards indeed? Can anyone confirm?
Pure unadulterated speculation , there is no official word !
Old 20th July 2011, 13:00   #2456

Frndz,

I have done 6K in my Vento and the oil level is now almost at minimum level. I planning to topup the oil. Can I topup on my own or do I need to go to the service centre to topup? Which one is a[COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]dvisable[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]?
Old 20th July 2011, 17:03   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri.R View Post
Frndz,
I have done 6K in my Vento and the oil level is now almost at minimum level. I planning to topup the oil. Can I topup on my own or do I need to go to the service centre to topup? Which one is advisable?
If service centre is nearby, you can visit and topup.They will check and topup the required quantity.
Old 21st July 2011, 05:45   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx

Did you get any reply on the missing chrome inserts ?
No vcx, no reply or acknowledgement from anyone yet.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:17   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
No vcx, no reply or acknowledgement from anyone yet.
I dont think they will reply. I had previously contacted the customer care regarding the delay of my car but didnt get any response from them.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:39   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Add to me to the list. Forget reply, we dont even get an automated response from the Indian customer care team. This is very surprising as well as shocking to me and I had made a mention of it in the delivery delays thread. I suspect if anyone is even monitoring this mailbox! How do we escalate things to VW attention in the event of any grievance/issues post the purchase apart from their helpline which again redirects the complaints to the local dealers? As an potential VW customer I'm very disappointed with this approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I dont think they will reply. I had previously contacted the customer care regarding the delay of my car but didnt get any response from them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks