Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 20:48   #2476
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Check out the various ownership reviews to give you a fairer idea. Specially member noopster's ownership thread. He has a Vento petrol AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Was the car delivered to your home in a cardboard box that you could not notice these physical defects at the time of delivery? I am sure you would have done the 'due diligence' when buying your Alto.

Did you test drive the car before paying for it? Even if I had the wherewithal to purchase a Bugatti, I would test drive it before even considering it.

Can you post some photos of the problems you are mentioning?
The alto had no such "defects". VW is supposed to be a premium brand.

And no, they did not let us test drive "OUR" car, but another demo car.

The car was given to us only after the complete payment was done. About the crack on the door, etc. it was too small to notice at first inspection (My mistake about "assuming" that VW would live up to its name).
Old 25th July 2011, 21:33   #2477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

The car was given to us only after the complete payment was done. About the crack on the door, etc. it was too small to notice at first inspection (My mistake about "assuming" that VW would live up to its name).
The TD part was in regard with the TD car only. You must have noticed the non existent pick up in the TD car right before you made your booking?

Did you contact your dealer regarding this door crack/hole? Did you try contacting VW directly? Please post some pics of the same otherwise its hard to believe what you are saying. A hole in the car's body is a huge allegation mate. So looking forward to some pictures of the same so that we can understand your problem.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:50   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Today was driving from my home to Kharghar, was doing 80 Kmph on Palm Beach in 5th cog, this car delivers great fuel efficiency. The MiD was showing 17.9 Kmpl, the max I could get on Palm Beach Rd. Vento TDi is meant to be a highway cruncher and driving it only in city is unfair, take the beast for highway drive. Even have a look at the ODO.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-mid2.jpg

Quote:
Some points about this car:

1. When we got the car, the plastic stuff on the driver's door was cracked.

2. The car has ZERO pick up. It drives like a Maruti Alto.

3. The music system that the dealer has fit is PATHETIC.

4. The fibre or metal of the body is like cardboard. Instead of denting or scratching, it becomes a HOLE.

5. FUEL EFFICIENCY IS NON-EXISTENT. About 8KMPL in city driving.

6. Fastening the driver side seat-belt buckle is HAMPERED by the arm-rest. German engineering??? I don't think so.

In short - IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY and HAS SPOILT VW BRAND FOREVER. I will NEVER AGAIN buy a VW car.
farhadtarapore regarding your first point, can you upload picture of the same, regarding second point thats not possible, which music system has your dealer fitted?
Did you car get a dent which resulted in a hole, can you even upload picture for the same. Even driving habits too determine the fuel efficiency.
In the end all I can say is that VW Vento TDI Highline is worth every penny, as I myself drive it and it doesnt disappointment me anytime when I drive out.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:11   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The TD part was in regard with the TD car only. You must have noticed the non existent pick up in the TD car right before you made your booking?

Did you contact your dealer regarding this door crack/hole? Did you try contacting VW directly? Please post some pics of the same otherwise its hard to believe what you are saying. A hole in the car's body is a huge allegation mate. So looking forward to some pictures of the same so that we can understand your problem.
Oh, ok, perhaps I didn't communicate this properly:
The crack on the door is on the inside plastic casing surrounding the door-opening lever. That is a small crack that was missed during the inspection while taking the car.

The "hole" that I am talking about was when my wife brushed accidentally against another car - instead of a dent or scratch, the entire "metal" or whatever it is, just peeled off and there was actually a "hole".

These are two different things I am talking abt here. The quality of the construction material is poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

farhadtarapore regarding your first point, can you upload picture of the same, regarding second point thats not possible, which music system has your dealer fitted?
Did you car get a dent which resulted in a hole, can you even upload picture for the same. Even driving habits too determine the fuel efficiency.
In the end all I can say is that VW Vento TDI Highline is worth every penny, as I myself drive it and it doesnt disappointment me anytime when I drive out.
Yes, on the highway, the fuel efficiency is almost double of what I get in the city. But then, 90% of our driving is in the city. Dunno why they tuned the engine for the highway. Perhaps things will be better after the 1st service (I hope).

The music system is called "Nippon", which the dealer insisted is standard in other cars too.

Sadly, I have no pics of the dents since they have been repaired as of last week. :(

Last edited by Samurai : 26th July 2011 at 22:44. Reason: back-to-back posts
Old 26th July 2011, 10:14   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
The "hole" that I am talking about was when my wife brushed accidentally against another car - instead of a dent or scratch, the entire "metal" or whatever it is, just peeled off and there was actually a "hole".
Quote:
Yes, on the highway, the fuel efficiency is almost double of what I get in the city. But then, 90% of our driving is in the city. Dunno why they tuned the engine for the highway. Perhaps things will be better after the 1st service (I hope).

The music system is called "Nippon", which the dealer insisted is standard in other cars too.

Sadly, I have no pics of the dents since they have been repaired as of last week. :(
I take it that your car is a trendline petrol with dealer customization. Since you do not have pictures of the hole, maybe you can tell us how big the hole was (Rs.1 coin?) and how much it cost you to fix the hole. Did you have to replace a panel?

With 90% driving in the city I doubt if the FE will become any better after the first service.

How about starting a ownership review thread with pictures of your car?
Old 26th July 2011, 11:04   #2481
BHPian

Quote:

Farhad: This all seems very strange. Could it be that you were sold a car that was being used by the dealer to give test drives in? The standard audio fitted by Voklswagen is kenwood. These are packed in boxes with the VW logo on them.

Also in terms of the hole that formed instead of a scratch, I don't know the place that got hit on your car but let me say this anyway: Cars these days are designed with crumple zones especially for pedestrian safety. Metal tearing is not that hard if the impact was at an odd angle with high force. You will see buses trucks and even those 4 wheeled 1 tonners having tears in the metal.

The concept of Test Driving your car to be does not exist yet in India. All you can do is go to the yard and do your own inspection before the car is registered and if your not happy with what you see you have the right to refusal.

Last edited by NevGin : 26th July 2011 at 11:07.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:38   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope I am wrong but the description in your post is indicative of a previous cover up job. From your description, it seems as if the car had an impact at the same point earlier and the metal skin was repaired using a filler+hardener combo which has now popped out due to the second impact.

Fresh metal/non accidented/ non repaired metal does not get punctured that easily. Even if it were hit very hard it would tear from the point of impact. Holes are the aftermath of repair of such tears where in the body repair shop is not able to stretch the metal back to its original position and this necessitates the use of hardener+filler etc. which are then painted over. Do take this up with your dealer and you may want to show it to an independent body shop to confirm the above.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:44   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Today was driving from my home to Kharghar, was doing 80 Kmph on Palm Beach in 5th cog, this car delivers great fuel efficiency. The MiD was showing 17.9 Kmpl, the max I could get on Palm Beach Rd. Vento TDi is meant to be a highway cruncher and driving it only in city is unfair, take the beast for highway drive. Even have a look at the ODO.
Rohaan good to hear that you are enjoying your car , you have a gorgeous set of wheels . Hope your monsoon check-up went off smoothly.

Quote:
Oh, ok, perhaps I didn't communicate this properly:
The crack on the door is on the inside plastic casing surrounding the door-opening lever. That is a small crack that was missed during the inspection while taking the car.
These are two different things I am talking abt here. The quality of the construction material is poor.
Farhad , I think you have either been delivered a test driven car which was damaged by the dealer or your car was damaged while in transport. The body work cannot just peel off if it was not there already, especially after a "brush" against a car ! Now was the brush against a jagged edge, like those in the old Mumbai fiat taxis. Personally I had a not-so-light boom gate dropped on my car at a mall and it left just a scratch on the paint , not even a dent. That aside, an Amby taxi (in Kolkata) "brushed" against my friend's Vento and he escaped with changing the bumper and paintwork on the body - his car did not even require dent work.
I would agree with what Khoj has said , an accident is highly unlikely to pop up a hole
Old 26th July 2011, 16:50   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

Farhad , I think you have either been delivered a test driven car which was damaged by the dealer or your car was damaged while in transport. The body work cannot just peel off if it was not there already, especially after a "brush" against a car ! Now was the brush against a jagged edge, like those in the old Mumbai fiat taxis. Personally I had a not-so-light boom gate dropped on my car at a mall and it left just a scratch on the paint , not even a dent. That aside, an Amby taxi (in Kolkata) "brushed" against my friend's Vento and he escaped with changing the bumper and paintwork on the body - his car did not even require dent work.
I would agree with what Khoj has said , an accident is highly unlikely to pop up a hole

Y'all are making me really saaaad :(
Not much I do now anyway..
Old 26th July 2011, 17:43   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Some points about this car:

1. When we got the car, the plastic stuff on the driver's door was cracked.

2. The car has ZERO pick up. It drives like a Maruti Alto.

3. The music system that the dealer has fit is PATHETIC.

4. The fibre or metal of the body is like cardboard. Instead of denting or scratching, it becomes a HOLE.

5. FUEL EFFICIENCY IS NON-EXISTENT. About 8KMPL in city driving.

6. Fastening the driver side seat-belt buckle is HAMPERED by the arm-rest. German engineering??? I don't think so.

In short - IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY and HAS SPOILT VW BRAND FOREVER. I will NEVER AGAIN buy a VW car.
Mr. Tarapore,

1. The VW Vento is a very solidly built car - inside and outside. I doubt any dealership would deliberately deliver a car with cracked plastics inside.

2. It does not drive like an Alto at all. Though, Alto is a good car to drive in its segment. This one drives like a dream and accelerates very well.

3. Why did you ask the dealer to select a music system of his choice and not yours?

4. As mentioned, the car is solidly built.

5. Neither the Diesel or Petrol is reporting such dismal figures in city driving. Seems the driver of this car needs lessons in driving skills.

6. Seat belt fastening issues? not felt.

We have 3 VW Ventos in our family & friends' circle (2 Diesels and 1 Petrol). No problems reported so far. Please post some pics of the inside and outside where repairs were carried out.

I am buying a Fiesta for very different reasons. My original Vento booking was transferred to my cousin who uses it as his dependable daily drive.

Sorry for sounding rude, but is it the case you purchased an already damaged car at a massive discount?

Last edited by Sugeeta : 26th July 2011 at 17:46.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:01   #2486
BHPian

Quote:

Farhad, sorry for being a little rude. I thought you were trolling. Reading your replies, it seems that indeed the dealer seemed to have palmed off a test drive vehicle or a slightly damaged car to you. Do let us know the odo reading and also if yours was the IPL edition. From what I read in this thread previously, the Nippon system is standard on the IPL edition Ventos. The default music system on the highlines is a standard Blaupunkt unit.

And I am sure all Vento owners on this forum can vouch for the solid build quality of the car.
Old 27th July 2011, 09:28   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Mr. Tarapore,

Sorry for sounding rude, but is it the case you purchased an already damaged car at a massive discount?
Not sure about that. But it is not only me, I can get you at least 8 other people who are reporting same petrol average figures (8kmpl) and the lack of power. And the acceleration IS dismal.

My intention of writing this stuff was not to elicit responses on what could be wrong. It's just that people like BS Motoring and team-bhp here are giving rave reviews on car that is not worth the money. You can read the ton of responses on bsmotoring also. You will find more people whining about the same stuff there.
Old 27th July 2011, 09:29   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Farhad, sorry for being a little rude. I thought you were trolling. Reading your replies, it seems that indeed the dealer seemed to have palmed off a test drive vehicle or a slightly damaged car to you. Do let us know the odo reading and also if yours was the IPL edition. From what I read in this thread previously, the Nippon system is standard on the IPL edition Ventos. The default music system on the highlines is a standard Blaupunkt unit.

And I am sure all Vento owners on this forum can vouch for the solid build quality of the car.
Nah, mine isn't the IPL version. It is a trendline.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:39   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Y'all are making me really saaaad :(
Not much I do now anyway..
Quote:
Not sure about that. But it is not only me, I can get you at least 8 other people who are reporting same petrol average figures (8kmpl) and the lack of power. And the acceleration IS dismal.
@Farhad yes the pain of seeing the first dent/scratch is unforgettable and hits deep but now that you past that and better informed, you can take up the matter with your A.S.C. proactively and get the whole thing sorted out.

The plastic cladding is a snap fit part and the door/fender can be replaced under advisement from the OEM who I am sure will not take very kindly to the dealer resorting to these antics especially when dealers are fully insured against transit and in-premises damage.

For a 1.6 liter petrol engine an average of 8 kmpl in the city is par for the course especially in a brand new engine. The air petrol mix is kept rich by the ECU for xxx kms before it allows more air in to the mix. This is done so as not to starve the engine and allow it to have a healthy diet during its infancy. The same is also true for the lack of drivability especially if the engine has a full or half cast iron block. Though it could be looked into and a simple ECU scan will reveal the reason.

Do post a pictures of the metal damage and let us know how it goes at the A.S.C

PS The hand brake as also the light/wiper stalk orientation is for LHD and has not been changed for our RHD conditions. Surprisingly most people are OK with this but am glad to note from your post that it does cause some discomfort => complaints =>> pro active action from manufacturer (hopefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta
1. The VW Vento is a very solidly built car - inside and outside. I doubt any dealership would deliberately deliver a car with cracked plastics inside.
Do note that all dealers will and indeed very willingly deliver damaged and subsequently repaired/covered up cars to customers. This is the harsh reality of Automotive business not just in India but the World over.

Last edited by khoj : 27th July 2011 at 14:56. Reason: responding to an additional post
Old 27th July 2011, 17:21   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Rohaan good to hear that you are enjoying your car , you have a gorgeous set of wheels . Hope your monsoon check-up went off smoothly.
Sourav thanks for appreciating my ride. Regarding monsoon check-up camp, as I didn't receive the coupons for the same, I called VW call center on 18 July. The person at the other end of the phone said I should call the nearest Authorized Workshop and they will help me out, which is KSM Motors, the only lonely one in whole of Navi Mumbai and he said he will forward my call to KSM and the person to contact is Mr. Prashant D'Souza at KSM Workshop. Call centre person gave me his number.
Rather than KSM taking pains to call me I thought I would call them, tried ringing Mr. Prashant D'Souza number, but it just keeps on ringing. So I decide to call KSM workshop's appointment number, the lady on the phone picks up the call and I tell her my ordeal. She says Mr Prashant D'Souza is busy in meeting so he will not be available for now. She says she will discuss with the higher up and let me know in 10 mins. Thats swift.
The whole days goes by and no single call. On 19 July I call back again KSM's appointment number at 11 am as still Mr. Prashant D'Souza number just keeps ringing. I called again the KSM's appointment number the lady picks up the phone and I give her a piece of my mind and explain her everything, she says she will call be back in 1 hr or so.
Fine but atleast a call should come through. At around 3 pm I receive a call and the lady says they will provide me service for monsoon check-up for free(Its meant to be free).
Now for appointment for the same, another ordeal, its 19 July Tuesday, I tell her give me appointment for 23 July Saturday at 11 am, the reply I get is that they are booked till 25 July Monday. All the appointments are prepared and they dont have a vacant space.
I tell her give me appointment for 30 July at 11.30 am. So the result is KSM is having too much load as they are booked in advance for a whole week, just great. So anyone who gets his service done at KSM Motors Navi Mumbai take up appointment a week or two before. VW needs to have another workshop at Panvel or Chembur to relieve some pressure of KSM, till then KSM rakes in moolah.
So Saurav my monsoon checkup camp remains pending, still.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks