Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 00:08   #2566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Mine is a HL only and it doesn't work. By the way the broucher and website still mentions "leather wrapped steering" in the feature list. Its no more available in the HL models and hence my suspicion.
Bala , the anti pinch is very much there . Is it not working on all your windows ? Just to be clear , if you are holding your hand (or a stick) in between the window and the frame - your hand (or a stick) will be pushed right against the frame and then the glass will roll down.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 08:00   #2567
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bala I checked with a VW insider...anti-pinch feature is definitely present in all highlines. So there is no reason it should be missing in yours. Please take it to the service station and get it checked out.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 17:30   #2568
Senior - BHPian

My apologies, the anti-pinch is very much there in my car, I didnt check it right and reported here incorrectly. It works exactly the way as Souravc mentioned and I'm very sorry to made that comment before verifying the facts. Please ignore my earlier posts on this topic.

Noopster - Thank you very much for taking your time and checking with the VW insider. Can you also check if he can make one steering chrome insert available for my car?

Last edited by bala80 : 10th August 2011 at 17:31.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 18:10   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, the anti-pinch is very much there in my car, I didnt check it right and reported here incorrectly. It works exactly the way as Souravc mentioned and I'm very sorry to made that comment before verifying the facts. Please ignore my earlier posts on this topic.

Noopster - Thank you very much for taking your time and checking with the VW insider. Can you also check if he can make one steering chrome insert available for my car?
Relieved to hear that the anti-pinch works Bala - the discovery of the features and understanding the new car adds to the excitement of the new machine ! I remember that I drove 30 km to the VW workshop to complain that the front window rolls down even when the "lock" switch is engaged, only to be told that its applicable only for the rear windows and its not a defect which is true !
I don't know how many debates we have had on the door lock and how its always "unlocked" from the inside , etc before realising the thought process or maybe getting used to it.

Bala, now that we have got you firmly in the Vento camp we are not going to allow you to flirt with the NFS ( hatch or the sedan whichever)
Old 10th August 2011, 18:26   #2570
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to help Bala. I had posted about the chrome inserts on the steering and light switch missing on some models but can't find that post now. Anyway, the missing chrome inserts were apparently not a cost-cutting measure at all but a problem arising out of missing supplies. For a few batches, including possibly the one your car belongs to, the chrome inserts were replaced by plain black ones. As galling as this is, it seems VW did not deem it fit to inform their customers (or their dealers?) about this omission. Last I heard the parts were back in stock and are being fitted on the latest batch of Ventos.
Since it's purely a cosmetic feature and VW is sure to have put enough disclaimers on their webite etc., I don't think demanding the inserts now is going to work with these guys. Feel really bad for you, but suggest you get over this disappointment and enjoy your car otherwise.
Edit: The "parts unavailable" was only aplicable for the chrome insert on light switch. The chrome insert on the steering wheel is discontinued now due to localisation of the part. Sorry about that.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of VW Group nor do I speak on their behalf. Just some information I picked up from a fellow member that may or may not be treated at face value

Last edited by noopster : 10th August 2011 at 18:46. Reason: Correction
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 18:56   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Glad to help Bala. I had posted about the chrome inserts on the steering and light switch missing on some models but can't find that post now. Anyway, the missing chrome inserts were apparently not a cost-cutting measure at all but a problem arising out of missing supplies. For a few batches, including possibly the one your car belongs to, the chrome inserts were replaced by plain black ones. As galling as this is, it seems VW did not deem it fit to inform their customers (or their dealers?) about this omission. Last I heard the parts were back in stock and are being fitted on the latest batch of Ventos.
Since it's purely a cosmetic feature and VW is sure to have put enough disclaimers on their webite etc., I don't think demanding the inserts now is going to work with these guys. Feel really bad for you, but suggest you get over this disappointment and enjoy your car otherwise.
Edit: The "parts unavailable" was only aplicable for the chrome insert on light switch. The chrome insert on the steering wheel is discontinued now due to localisation of the part. Sorry about that.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of VW Group nor do I speak on their behalf. Just some information I picked up from a fellow member that may or may not be treated at face value
Unfortunately, 'localization' in Indian context usually means 'cheapness'. Whether this is part quality or feature list. I, for one, will prefer to have as less as localization content on my car as possible. I am sure this will be present of Jetta since it is CKD.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:18   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Made me look really really stupid to have posted here without even realizing that I need to wait for the obstacle to hit the frame for the "Anti-Pinch" feature to work. I was thinking to myself that the sensor will detect if there is an obstacle in between while it was winding up! Having said that, it does hit against the window frame pretty firmly before rolling down!

And yeah, Fiesta hatch is one car I like a lot and wish ford had brought it on instead of the sedan but then I'm loving the vento all the more with each passing day and discovering something new. Looking forward for an opportunity to take it on the highways to understand the real meaning of "german engineering". It sure feels very good and no more flirting, I assure you

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

Bala, now that we have got you firmly in the Vento camp we are not going to allow you to flirt with the NFS ( hatch or the sedan whichever)
Thank you Noopster.

Though I remember your earlier post, I wasnt aware of this piece of information and I was under the assumption that the steering chrome insert will also be back once the supplies resume. I will stop looking forward to it then. By the way, my car does have the headlight chrome inserts since it was manufactured in June (have posted it in my ownership thread). so, your post clarifies things for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Old 10th August 2011, 19:23   #2573
BHPian

A question to all TDI owners --

In standstill traffic, when the car is idling, I get these very mild shivers from the car once in a while. They are very irregular and happen probably once in a couple of minutes (or so). Sometimes I feel this may be because of not pulling up the handbrake completely. So re-engaging the handbrake stops it. But later after some time I get a shiver or two again. Do you also experience this? Is this normal? If not, what could be the probable cause?
Old 10th August 2011, 20:17   #2574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, Made me look really really stupid to have posted here without even realizing that I need to wait for the obstacle to hit the frame for the "Anti-Pinch" feature to work. I was thinking to myself that the sensor will detect if there is an obstacle in between while it was winding up! Having said that, it does hit against the window frame pretty firmly before rolling down!
Good to know that you managed to find the feature without a visit to the service center. I for one would have been very surprised if VW deleted that feature. Safety, after all is the German’s USP. Tamilnadu got such awesome highways. What are you waiting for?
Old 10th August 2011, 20:37   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

In standstill traffic, when the car is idling, I get these very mild shivers from the car once in a while. They are very irregular and happen probably once in a couple of minutes (or so). Sometimes I feel this may be because of not pulling up the handbrake completely. So re-engaging the handbrake stops it. But later after some time I get a shiver or two again. Do you also experience this? Is this normal? If not, what could be the probable cause?
Do you mean standstill as in when you are really standstill or is your car rolling without gears being engaged ? While I have not noticed any mild shivers in my car , what I have surely noticed is that if the car rolls ( however slowly) the engine rev mildly goes up from 800 rpm by 50-100 rpms - this when the car is rolling on neutral . Maybe you feel the mildly increased rev .
One more scenario where you will feel the "tremors" is when the car is on an incline and the handbrake is engaged but unknown to you its slipping (Just as you mentioned, the handbrake is not tightly engaged) . I have experienced it with both my Swift and Vento so I think its pretty normal . Handbrake's pretty crude spring "loaded" kind of functionality makes it lose the grip quite quickly and considering that its trying to stop a heavy car from rolling down, slipping may start quicker than you expect - this is likely to happen if its not tugged firmly.
Old 11th August 2011, 08:18   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Do you mean standstill as in when you are really standstill or is your car rolling without gears being engaged ? While I have not noticed any mild shivers in my car , what I have surely noticed is that if the car rolls ( however slowly) the engine rev mildly goes up from 800 rpm by 50-100 rpms - this when the car is rolling on neutral . Maybe you feel the mildly increased rev .
One more scenario where you will feel the "tremors" is when the car is on an incline and the handbrake is engaged but unknown to you its slipping (Just as you mentioned, the handbrake is not tightly engaged) . I have experienced it with both my Swift and Vento so I think its pretty normal . Handbrake's pretty crude spring "loaded" kind of functionality makes it lose the grip quite quickly and considering that its trying to stop a heavy car from rolling down, slipping may start quicker than you expect - this is likely to happen if its not tugged firmly.
No this is at complete standstill, say waiting at the signal. I have not noticed these mid tremors during the idling at cold start but only after coming to a complete stop in traffic. At that point, my feet are off the clutch and accelerator. The car is in neutral and the handbrake is engaged.

About the rolling in neutral you mentioned, I have not noticed it but will lookout.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:24   #2577
BHPian

Quote:

I think you should be feeling these vibrations only with AC on. If so, it's the AC condenser fan coming on and off to dissipate the heat. It's felt mostly at idle as in a moving car either the fan does not turn on (due to air coming in from the front and doing the job) or it's not felt due to the motion of the car itself. I think when this happens; you will also notice a slight change in idle rpm (say by 50). Re-engaging handbrake should not have have an impact on this but since the viabration remains only for a split second, by the time you re-engane handbrake it goes away giving you the feeling that it stopped, I think.

I am not a Vento owner but this happens in my cars as well and hope you won't mind me answering this .

Last edited by amit1234singla : 11th August 2011 at 10:28.
Old 11th August 2011, 11:16   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I think you should be feeling these vibrations only with AC on. If so, it's the AC condenser fan coming on and off to dissipate the heat. It's felt mostly at idle as in a moving car either the fan does not turn on (due to air coming in from the front and doing the job) or it's not felt due to the motion of the car itself. I think when this happens; you will also notice a slight change in idle rpm (say by 50).
I never thought of the AC angle. But these days, it is quite chilly in Bangy and I just keep the blower on without the AC. Thanks for pointing out, though. I will check if this is indeed the AC fan switching on/off.

In my Zen days, the AC used to create quite a noise when switching on and would increase the RPM drastically. With the Vento, it is so smooth, I forget about the AC completely!
Old 11th August 2011, 16:23   #2579
BHPian

Quote:

I have a Vento A/T and I have also felt mild shivers on a random basis when the car is stationery at signals - in my case with the gear selector at N and handbrake on. The only relief being - I used to similar shivers in my Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol too. There is no related movement in the engine rpm needle (have observed from very close). I could never get the service supervisor to feel it (thick skinned ?).
Old 11th August 2011, 17:39   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These vibrations have also been felt by me on signal twice with car being in neutral gear and handbrake pulled up.
The reason for why this happens is because the road is not proper that there are a lot of undulation and all the 4 tires are not on same height and when you release the handbrake the car either has a tendency to slip forward or backward but will not be standstill as all the 4 tires are not on the same height. Excuse my method of explanation for being very blunt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks