Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 18:24   #2581
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Some News: Vento IPL edition HU is available as an accessory for 35,000.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:42   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Just the HU for 35K! Isn't that too high?
And how much for the stock one? Will they take it back.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:48   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Just the HU for 35K! Isn't that too high?
And how much for the stock one? Will they take it back.
Depends on dealer to dealer. The one I inquired with won't take stock HU back, but one private shop offered 5000 for it.

I think the price is alright considering it comes with After Sales Support, Warranty and is OEM. Plus AUX/USB support and Touchscreen navigation with pre-loaded maps and support for Reverse Camera. I though won't be going for it but its good for anyone who can afford it.

The full IPL kit with seat covers et al is available fir 45,000.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:48   #2584
Distinguished - BHPian

35K is indeed too high. You can get a Motevo (the one installed in subodh's car) with a reverse cam and basic GPS software tossed in for about that much. And it looks and feels awesome compared to the IPL one which is erratic and buggy and keeps having to be rebooted.

Witson, Caska etc. are other brands with OE-feel HUs in a similar price range- even the Pio is not oo far off. Look up AnkitParashar's, jesal's and subodh's threads in the ICE section for some cool options.

I feel like cocking a snook at VW: when we were eagerly asking them to provide the IPL ICE as accessory, they were snooty and disdainfully dismissed any such suggestion. Now that the IPL edition has presumably bombed and they need to get that dead stock off their hands they come in and price it as a premium accessory? Huh!
Old 11th August 2011, 23:06   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Thats way too much VW is asking us. Even if it would have come for Rs. 15,000 to 20,000 I would have given a wild thought but VW is pricing a few accessories way too high in the name of quality and brand.
Just for instance VW Vento's single 15" alloy wheel comes at staggering Rs. 20,000 which again is way too much. Honda City 15" alloy comes at just Rs. 5,000 when inquired way back during purchase of Vento in Dec'10. I dont like having a steel wheel on a car which cost a million bucks. Just cant help it with VW.
Old 11th August 2011, 23:13   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Just for instance VW Vento's single 15" alloy wheel comes at staggering Rs. 20,000 which again is way too much. Honda City 15" alloy comes at just Rs. 5,000 when inquired way back during purchase of Vento in Dec'10. I dont like having a steel wheel on a car which cost a million bucks. Just cant help it with VW.
In that case you could have bought an entire set (like the one for Honda city). It would cost you 5X5000 = 25000 Rs. And sell the OEM Alloys for atleast Rs15000X4=60000.

Old 12th August 2011, 15:41   #2587
Senior - BHPian

I have a query to fellow vento owners - Just read and understood from Noopster's ownership thread that his car has the "speed sensing auto-lock" feature which activates the central locking when the car attains a speed of around 15 kmph and looks like this needs to be enabled from the factory. This is definitely not there (I'm used to this in my swift and hence I'm pretty confident of this ) in my car and would be interested to know if this feature is available in your rides?

For the moment, I'm practicing manually central locking everytime I drive off - but speed sensing auto-lock will be a great convenience if available. Would like to hear from you all on this...
Old 12th August 2011, 16:48   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I have a query to fellow vento owners - Just read and understood from Noopster's ownership thread that his car has the "speed sensing auto-lock" feature which activates the central locking when the car attains a speed of around 15 kmph and looks like this needs to be enabled from the factory.
Noopster please enlighten us. Does your Vento AT HL has a Auto-Lock feature? I haven't seen a single Vento with such a feature. Is this feature needs to be activated through the VAS? Or is is bala has misread your ownership thread.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:24   #2589
Senior - BHPian

I'm pretty sure I read it right!

Please check the following post -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2465490

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Noopster please enlighten us. Does your Vento AT HL has a Auto-Lock feature? I haven't seen a single Vento with such a feature. Is this feature needs to be activated through the VAS? Or is is bala has misread your ownership thread.
Old 12th August 2011, 19:07   #2590
Distinguished - BHPian

I havent actually tried this but gets automatically locked after a while. I thought it's time based locking mechanism but strongly doubt that. Anyways, will check that and see whether it's speed or time based.
Old 12th August 2011, 20:18   #2591
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the auto-lock on the Vento, yes this feature very much exists.

This is how it works:
  • Shut all the doors in the car BEFORE starting the car. Preferably shut the driver's door last.
  • Now crank the ignition. When you start the car, the default is central locking off. The lock/unlock buttons on driver's door are unlit.
  • Put car in gear and accelerate to 10-15 kmph. The doors lock automatically.
  • You will see the "lock" indicator light up in yellow. The click sound is also audible from all 4 doors.
I tried to capture this on video driving home from office. Handheld blackberry video camera, so excuse the quality. But I think it's pretty clear. I was accelerating from dead start when I shot it.

That's me saying "Voila" at the end

Edit: @naveen.raju- It's speed-based because I often unlock while waiting for security people to check my car and no matter how long I wait, the auto-lock only happens after I zoom off!

Last edited by noopster : 12th August 2011 at 20:21.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:57   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Noopster - Thanks for clarifying, while I think this feature very much exists as you had demonstrated, few cars including mine dont have this activated . Activating this shouldnt be a big deal, but then i dont know the procedure to be followed for the same.

If anyone has idea on how to go about activating this, it will be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Old 12th August 2011, 23:26   #2593
Distinguished - BHPian

OK- just to clarify, I did not get it activated separately. It was this way when I got delivery of the car. You should probably do it exactly the way I have outlined and see if it works.
Old 12th August 2011, 23:33   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

This is how it works:
  • Shut all the doors in the car BEFORE starting the car. Preferably shut the driver's door last.
  • Now crank the ignition. When you start the car, the default is central locking off. The lock/unlock buttons on driver's door are unlit.
  • Put car in gear and accelerate to 10-15 kmph. The doors lock automatically.
  • You will see the "lock" indicator light up in yellow. The click sound is also audible from all 4 doors.
The steps you mentioned are very common in everyday use. But never I found the auto locking work. I think I need to go through the manual.

But what about auto-unlocking? Does the doors unlock when engine is stopped?
Old 12th August 2011, 23:37   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it has something to do with the AT. I never seen a auto lock working either on mine or my friend's. Its scary when I find sometimes that the doors are not locked with my laptop in the rear seat.

I found another weird thing happen on my car. Had been to service centre to replace my rear right tail lamp. With some shoddy work they did, found that rear lamp and front right parking lamp was not turning off when I came home. Had to disconnect the battery overnight. Today morning, I found that auto up and down of windows was also not working. Tonight everything's working normal. Need to get the wiring checked.

I find the combination of problems (and interactions) a little weird and discomforting on this car.

Last edited by srishiva : 12th August 2011 at 23:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks