Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 21:40   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Bloody petrol pumps!
The auto cut works when I take the petrol car. They dont have the autocut for the diesel ones. May be they cater to the needs of truck drivers only who need not require auto cut.
Then these would be pumps around highways or city borders, which often cater to trucks. If you try ones within the main city areas, you should not have issues. IIRC you were in Gurgaon, which is anyway suspect on diesel quality. Using Delhi pumps may be a good idea, despite marginally higher prices. Better FE should compensate for that and your engine would appreciate better fuel
Old 21st August 2011, 21:49   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Then these would be pumps around highways or city borders, which often cater to trucks. If you try ones within the main city areas, you should not have issues. IIRC you were in Gurgaon, which is anyway suspect on diesel quality. Using Delhi pumps may be a good idea, despite marginally higher prices. Better FE should compensate for that and your engine would appreciate better fuel
It is not Gurgaon or Delhi. It is Calcutta. Yes a little on the outskirts bur still Calcutta.
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:53   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
On the job on the quirkiness , issues thread - quite a few of you should expect a mail in your inbox with the first cut list. Once I have response from all of you I will start the thread so that any further addition /deletion can be kept to a minimum else its difficult to keep track
Are you limiting this to vento and not polo? Most of the things are common I believe?
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:57   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the AT. I never seen a auto lock working either on mine or my friend's. Its scary when I find sometimes that the doors are not locked with my laptop in the rear seat.

I found another weird thing happen on my car. Had been to service centre to replace my rear right tail lamp. With some shoddy work they did, found that rear lamp and front right parking lamp was not turning off when I came home. Had to disconnect the battery overnight. Today morning, I found that auto up and down of windows was also not working. Tonight everything's working normal. Need to get the wiring checked.

I find the combination of problems (and interactions) a little weird and discomforting on this car.

lol.. the front and rear parking lamp does not go off.. it happened to me too... but i came back after couple of hours it was off... happened couple of times... and same with the remote up and down of windows too does not work sometimes.... some glitch..
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:54   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

The last 3-5 pages of this thread have been becoming scarier by the day. Every other owner is reporting some or the other glitch ( as minor as they be). There is absence of common features like auto lock etc and different Users are reporting different versions of the same. What does all this say about VW? I am fast losing my confidence. When a car is manufactured it must be going through several checks before sending it out to the Dealer for the delivery right? Then how can such glaring differences exist?
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:30   #2661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The last 3-5 pages of this thread have been becoming scarier by the day. Every other owner is reporting some or the other glitch ( as minor as they be). There is absence of common features like auto lock etc and different Users are reporting different versions of the same. What does all this say about VW? I am fast losing my confidence. When a car is manufactured it must be going through several checks before sending it out to the Dealer for the delivery right? Then how can such glaring differences exist?
Honestly speaking this was waiting to happen. Remember GTO mentioning in some of the older threads about European cars and their glitchy systems (software issues). In the discussion in those threads, the Japs & Koreans were noted to be better off than the Mercs & BMWs in having bug-free electronic systems. The general concensus was that the Euro cars were sturdy and as good as others, but it was the software systems that failed them.

Having said that, it's important we get the thread mentioned by @souravc up and running : post that everyone can have a look at his own car and see what's missing - and head to the nearest VW service center. The earlier, the better.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:31   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Found that the switch to stop power windows from working actually doesn't work at all

My parking lights remaining ON and auto power windows issue has resolved itself. As I said before the interaction among different aspects of the car is a major issue. The design doesn't seem to be modular and looks complicated.

The Japs and Koreans are not just better, they are close to perfect in electrical and software aspects.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:24   #2663
BHPian

Hmm
i think you have a point as the impact was quite huge. But to my surprise the dealer had a huge stock of alloys, considering they are one of the most expensive parts in the vento, i asked him the same question, these alloys cant really take too much punishment. Surprisingly i have a honda accord where in a similar situation i have not faced such problems. I have the highline vento diesel.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:32   #2664
BHPian

Surprisingly, If you manage to finish the full tank in a couple of days, ie say 3 to 4 days, with a major portion of it on highways, i have found the MID to be pretty accurate. Also the pumps make a huge difference. I have always got the best mileage for diesel from HP pumps, and i usually fill them in the cities and not on highways. Also please note it is highly recommended that you should not fill up beyond the cut off, esp in summers.

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:14   #2665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Honestly speaking this was waiting to happen. Remember GTO mentioning in some of the older threads about European cars and their glitchy systems (software issues). In the discussion in those threads, the Japs & Koreans were noted to be better off than the Mercs & BMWs in having bug-free electronic systems. The general concensus was that the Euro cars were sturdy and as good as others, but it was the software systems that failed them.
Glitches I understand. But to call it a glitch, the feature has to be first atleast be present in the brand new car at time of purchase!! Glitches right from the VW factory is really calling for a disaster. Everytime I read GTO's review of the Vento one line stands out: the long term reliability of VW in unknown. I always felt that we are being to pessimistic but now my worst fears are gradually coming true. I cannot even dare to imagine what other issues might crop up once the cars are put through the daily demanding grind over 50-60k kms.

ps: Dear Japs can we please have the 'thud' sound from your doors?

Quote:
Having said that, it's important we get the thread mentioned by @souravc up and running : post that everyone can have a look at his own car and see what's missing - and head to the nearest VW service center. The earlier, the better.
Absolutely. This is hilarious though. What we are proposing is a thread which lists out the complete set of features and fittings that the car is supposed to have. Each owner should cross check as to whats missing in his car! Are we talking brand new modern age cars or buying grey market chinese mobile phones is a question we need to ask ourselves!
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:52   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The auto cut works when I take the petrol car. They dont have the autocut for the diesel ones. May be they cater to the needs of truck drivers only who need not require auto cut.
This shouldn't be possible. Every time I fill up Vento with normal Diesel, I go with auto cut and it works well. Never has the attendant said we dont have auto cut for diesel.
Another new thing I saw a month or two back, because of the space constraints they have started fuel dispensing through the roof. There is a string attached which they pull and start dispensing the fuel and that too for diesel which has auto cut too. When the first time I saw I was amazed what great thinking.
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:42   #2667
BHPian

A weird thing happened today. I reached office and everything was normal with the Car.

We went out for lunch, after driving about 5 KM I noticed that the heater coil is flashing on / off, I pulled over the car to a halt, switched off the engine and restarted it, it was gone. After another 2 KM again it started flashing. I pulled over the car and called up the National VW Helpline number, After about 10 min I got a call from VW Bangalore workshop, I told the problem to the service manager. He will be sending a guy tomorrow to check the same.

Meanwhile he advised me that this looks like a sensor problem, and I can continue to drive it. The weird thing is the flashing of the coil never happened again, I drove approximately 20 KM after that. Anyways there is a guy coming tomorrow to check this, lets see.... will keep this thread updated
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:47   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Are you limiting this to vento and not polo? Most of the things are common I believe?
Frontosa because we are not conversant with Polo andthere exists a separate thread for the car , I think its fair that we keep this thread exclusively for Vento . I will though PM you all the inputs received if that would help you start the Polo thread too

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Found that the switch to stop power windows from working actually doesn't work at all
The switch when engaged stops the rear window from rolling up / down - its not designed to stop the front windows from working . (Unlike in a swift where it freezes all 4 ) Could you please check it for the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Absolutely. This is hilarious though. What we are proposing is a thread which lists out the complete set of features and fittings that the car is supposed to have. Each owner should cross check as to whats missing in his car! Are we talking brand new modern age cars or buying grey market chinese mobile phones is a question we need to ask ourselves!
A correction - The intention of the thread is not meant to be checklist for glitches and fittings , its meant to be a list of features that exist and were not adequately explained to us . So what many of us think as glitches maybe are not glitches at all or maybe our ignorance does not allow us to use a few useful features .

I agree that QC needs to be upgraded but I doubt whether we can treat the Japs as holy cows - not after what we have seen from 2009 - 11 .
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:51   #2669
Senior - BHPian

[quote=drmohitg;2476772 Glitches right from the VW factory is really calling for a disaster. Everytime I read GTO's review of the Vento one line stands out: the long term reliability of VW in unknown. I always felt that we are being to pessimistic but now my worst fears are gradually coming true. I cannot even dare to imagine what other issues might crop up once the cars are put through the daily demanding grind over 50-60k kms.

ps: Dear Japs can we please have the 'thud' sound from your doors?

Absolutely. This is hilarious though. What we are proposing is a thread which lists out the complete set of features and fittings that the car is supposed to have. Each owner should cross check as to whats missing in his car! Are we talking brand new modern age cars or buying grey market chinese mobile phones is a question we need to ask ourselves! [/quote]

It is amazing how brands like VW (or the big Germans) manage to maintain a pull factor. Customers still want them, despite such issues.

Just imagine the beating a Tata, Mahindra or for that matter even a Ford or GM would get for such stuff.

Customer buying preferences - an interesting topic!

Edit:
Just seen Saurav's post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
A correction - The intention of the thread is not meant to be checklist for glitches and fittings , its meant to be a list of features that exist and were not adequately explained to us . So what many of us think as glitches maybe are not glitches at all or maybe our ignorance does not allow us to use a few useful features .
If that is the case, it makes me wonder how serious VW may be towards it's plans about India. I mean, if they do have the features and don't even explain it well in their manuals etc, it just seems rather odd. On the other hand, these may not be manuals made only for India. Am confused about who is to blame - maybe because I am not as deeply involved in the topic. Someone please explain whose fault would this be seen as.

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd August 2011 at 16:55.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:03   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Have an A-star automatic. I like the door feel and even the shut sound.

One thing that annoys in my Vento is passengers releasing the handle above the window. It retracts making noise. In my A-star it has a slow moving spring that retracts slowly without any noise.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks