Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 22:09   #2746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Well even I am 5'11" and on both my TDs of the Vento I did face this issue of my knee touching the central dashboard. I have to concede that I didn't try adjusting the steering for reach. May be that would solve the issue. Also I am heavily built. So I think that must also be a factor since some Bhpians find this issue and others didn't face it.

Other then that its a great car no doubt about it.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:00   #2747
vcx
BHPian

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...or-changes/880
vcx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:51   #2748
vcx
BHPian

Link: http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...or-changes/880

Surely a great welcome news, if Vento adds steering controls, audio with BT/phone, ORVM indicators and bait dark tone interiors .

From the link :

The Skoda Fabia, Volkswagen Polo and Vento will soon undergo minor changes. As per our sources, all three vehicles will get minor tweaks to the interiors to keep up with the competition. Part of the upgrade will be a better audio system and steering-mounted controls, something none of these cars have even on the top-end models. Minor changes in the colour scheme of the interiors may also be on the cards for the German manufacturer. An audio head unit similar that sold in other markets may make its way into the Indian Polo.

With competition providing a better equipment list as far as the audio system goes, Volkswagen and Skoda definitely need to update the dated equipment on their cars.
vcx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 18:02   #2749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Link: Polo, Vento and Fabia to undergo minor changes | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in

Surely a great welcome news, if Vento adds steering controls, audio with BT/phone, ORVM indicators and bait dark tone interiors .
The article sounds more like speculation and hope. There is no concrete information given. Noopster had indicated earlier that these changes are on the cards but wont take place until 2012 in all probabilities.
Anyone has any more news regarding this?
Old 1st September 2011, 18:08   #2750
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

The article sounds more like speculation and hope. There is no concrete information given. Noopster had indicated earlier that these changes are on the cards but wont take place until 2012 in all probabilities.
Anyone has any more news regarding this?
But these changes are must to ensure Vento sustains it niche, even speculative at least we now see some published source. Hope more on the way!
Old 1st September 2011, 20:05   #2751
BHPian

Good day Mates!

I recently had an issue with the front right disc brake while doing a highway run from Bangalore to Mysore. I heard a screeching/grinding noise and had to pull over. I was simply shocked, surprised and disappointed. Brake fluids were intact, but why GOD why? I emptied a bottle of cold water on the discs which was pretty hot and it sent a wave of smoke, just like it happens when you pour water on a dosa pan. Well that settled it and no more pain for the rest of the journey.

Analysis
1. 10 minutes before the noise, I treaded on a wet surface and beach quality sand
2. The sand stuck on the wheels
3. Back on asphalted road and I hear the loose sand wiggling off the tyre
4. These loose particle might have stuck between the break pads and the discs
5. Upon pouring the water, the particles might have washed off

It was really a nerve wracking moment and I thought of returning back, abandoning the pleasure trip. I hope it will never ever repeat.
Old 1st September 2011, 22:45   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Actually this incident reminds me of something very similar I have read in one of the vento ownership reports in this forum. Im unable to recollect from the back of my mind whose it was - but I'm fairly confident of reading a very similar situation - caused due to a small stone which was stuck inside the front disc causing the screeching and grinding noise. I think it is one of those rare cases and I dont see a reason for worry. If I find that post, I'll post it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Good day Mates!

I recently had an issue with the front right disc brake while doing a highway run from Bangalore to Mysore. I heard a screeching/grinding noise and had to pull over. I was simply shocked, surprised and disappointed. Brake fluids were intact, but why GOD why? I emptied a bottle of cold water on the discs which was pretty hot and it sent a wave of smoke, just like it happens when you pour water on a dosa pan. Well that settled it and no more pain for the rest of the journey.

Analysis
1. 10 minutes before the noise, I treaded on a wet surface and beach quality sand

It was really a nerve wracking moment and I thought of returning back, abandoning the pleasure trip. I hope it will never ever repeat.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 22:52   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Actually this incident reminds me of something very similar I have read in one of the vento ownership reports in this forum. Im unable to recollect from the back of my mind whose it was - but I'm fairly confident of reading a very similar situation - caused due to a small stone which was stuck inside the front disc causing the screeching and grinding noise. I think it is one of those rare cases and I dont see a reason for worry. If I find that post, I'll post it for you.
Yes it was the exact same problem faced by that member in his new Vento. Even I remember seeing the post. And he took his car to the dealer and they told that it was a stone causing the noise. But does this by anyways indicate an issue with VWs design? I don't read any other car owner describing such a problem.
Old 1st September 2011, 22:53   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Actually this incident reminds me of something very similar I have read in one of the vento ownership reports in this forum.
Thanks Bala for reminding, I remember reading it, but I was unable to relate. I would appreciate if someone could point me there.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:08   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good day Mates!

Analysis

As Bala said , the overheating would be due to something getting lodged in the recess area causing uneven pad transfer . The symptom can be aggravated due to the following :-
1. Incorrect fitting ( a small problem got aggravated due to sand/ stone particles
2. The disc's retaining bolts tightened unevenly
On the balance , you should get it checked at the workshop.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:16   #2756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bala for reminding, I remember reading it, but I was unable to relate. I would appreciate if someone could point me there.
Probably this is what you are looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Friends,
Couple of weeks ago, on a leisurely drive on a weekend, suddenly heard a strange noise coming from the front LHS tire, stopped the car to investigate, couldn't find anything. The sound was scary, as if two loose metal plates rubbing against each other - and being a Team-BHPian and reading many ownership experience first thing came to my mind is there might be some issue with brakes (I remember reading an issue reported by Driver2000 on his Polo), anyways, drove the car slowly to my apt. parking (hardly few KMs).

Called VW toll free no., received a call within 10 mins and was directed to a technical consultant, who listened to the problem and assured me that someone from VW dealership would contact me next day morning (.i.e., MON) as it was already 9:00pm that day.

Monday morning, received a call from VW dealer at sharp 10am, explained him the issue, the advisor listened carefully, asked me few qs. and requested me to bring the car to the showroom as he suspected some stone getting stuck in the brake caliper area.

Confirmed with him that the sound is really scary and I would only drive to the showroom (~14kms from my place) if he can assure me there won't be any damage to the brakes and the brake won't go loose in these 14 kms.

He assured me, went to the showroom driving very very slowly, the stone was removed and the car is as smooth as before. Total work done within 40mins. of me reaching the showroom.
and this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Went for a long drive last weekend taking along my Vento and Swift. Close to 130 kms, there was a strange metal grinding sound from the front right tyre. Stopped the vehicle and inspected it (thought it was some stick or metal piece grinding the alloys). But couldnt see anything. Poured some water to cool the tires since it was through a ghat section. Waited for sometime and started off again. But the sound was still there. It was so loud that when we reached near the resort, people were looking at us.

On reaching the resort, removed the tyre to inspect it. Found nothing unusual. The sound was really loud during turns and on low speed. Called up the SA but he couldnt help us. Luckily the sound wasnt there during our way back.
Could be a VW-specific issue, but have heard it happening to other cars in the past. Also @GearOn had replied back to @naveen's post stating that something similar had happened to his M800 in the past.

Last edited by bblost : 1st September 2011 at 23:54. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Hence comments pertaining to it are removed. Thanks.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:22   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good day Mates!

Don't ever pour any cold liquid on your disc brakes !! It might even deform/crack as it would be at a very high temperature and you will have to get it replaced. If you are concerned that its too hot, just let it rest for some time.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:27   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Don't ever pour any cold liquid on your disc brakes !! It might even deform/crack as it would be at a very high temperature and you will have to get it replaced. If you are concerned that its too hot, just let it rest for some time.
I agree, very rightly said ! Pouring cold water causes sudden uneven cooling ( the same reason why one should not pour cold water on hot glass ) which is likely to cause the brake pad to develop cracks and ultimately fail under braking (very dangerous) . Please let it cool gradually under ambient conditions before doing anything .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:33   #2759
Team-BHP Support

Guys If I may offer a neutral view to the Optra VS Vento debate, I own neither but my friends have both so I have driven both quite a bit -

Engine - The Optra being the more powerful one accelerates quicker than the Vento no doubt. But the Vento is still a beautiful engine, there is actually hardly any turbolag. Sure the engine may be vocal but it does not bother, the Optra is more silent. I noticed someone saying the Optra has been detuned from Cruze specs, actually the Cruze has a VGT which the Optra has an FGT. Also the Vento is not running at its limits, it can be tuned to 130bhp with a tuning box, while the Optra can be taken to 140+bhp.

Space - No doubt the Optra is better, since it is actually a segment higher car, whose price was lowered due to bad sales. Not that the space of the Vento is bad.

Interior/Build Quality - Some plastics of the Optra do feel cheap, like the wood inserts. The overall build of the Vento does feel more solid, probably because it is European.

Ride and Handling - At low speeds the Optra has excellent ride, actually even upto speeds of about 80-90. 100 and above it gets wallowy and bouncy, not the most confidence inspiring. The Ventos ride becomes better at moderate speeds, and it is way better in terms of stability.

Hope this helped a bit at least
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:56   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
Guys If I may offer a neutral view to the Optra VS Vento debate, I own neither but my friends have both so I have driven both quite a bit -

Engine - The Optra being the more powerful one accelerates quicker than the Vento no doubt. But the Vento is still a beautiful engine, there is actually hardly any turbolag. Sure the engine may be vocal but it does not bother, the Optra is more silent. I noticed someone saying the Optra has been detuned from Cruze specs, actually the Cruze has a VGT which the Optra has an FGT. Also the Vento is not running at its limits, it can be tuned to 130bhp with a tuning box, while the Optra can be taken to 140+bhp.

Space - No doubt the Optra is better, since it is actually a segment higher car, whose price was lowered due to bad sales. Not that the space of the Vento is bad.

Interior/Build Quality - Some plastics of the Optra do feel cheap, like the wood inserts. The overall build of the Vento does feel more solid, probably because it is European.

Ride and Handling - At low speeds the Optra has excellent ride, actually even upto speeds of about 80-90. 100 and above it gets wallowy and bouncy, not the most confidence inspiring. The Ventos ride becomes better at moderate speeds, and it is way better in terms of stability.

Hope this helped a bit at least
Buddy thanks for your report but it's decided not to compare optra vs vento on this thread anymore.

people who are looking for vento come to this thread , and nobody who is interested in optra need come here. This is a official vento thread, some optra die hard fan came here and started the whole nine yards when no one had asked how optra fares to vento. akshay I guess you won't misunderstand me, this is not meant to you but to the 'other' cars die hard fans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks