Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 13:02   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
hello all,
I've been driving my new Vento for a while now (its been three weeks)...I am facing a lot of issues with visibility in this car. The rear view mirror is almost useless and since I am tall my visibility is blocked by the rear view mirror(from the seated position I can't see if a two wheeler is going to nick my left bumper), but these issues I can adjust as a bit of more time behind the wheel will get me upto speed.
Hi @Captain, do mention what is your height. I'm 5'11 but never found this issue. As sourav has suggested play around with your seat height settings, should work.
Quote:
But what I cannot comprehend is the almost nill visibility from the left, what I mean to say is that the rear view mirrors on the left side just don't provide a good enough view and also I just cannot see my left unless some guy comes in front.
well it doesn't have the outward (convex) sideview mirror like the new fiesta, but it does the job most of the time.

But these are basic sanity aspects that one would have identified during the TD itself. Didn't you face these issues then itself?

Quote:
This car is good according to European standards but in Indian road conditions its just not built for the job.
Just on those minor two aspects, and you already feel its not suited for our roads?
My opinion is same as you have mentioned - drive more, get used to the car.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th September 2011 at 13:05.
Old 18th September 2011, 14:18   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I am looking for the report of the users who has done their I and II service. I am curious of the service charges of I as well as 2nd service. As both are paid services Let some one throw some light on this. Further if some one can give the cost of the spares you have changed that will help others to work out.
Old 18th September 2011, 14:19   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalcasanova View Post
Drove like a Hypermiling nut today on a drive to Marine Drive - around 65Km's and it gave around 12Kmpl. Traffic today was sparse.
I was planning it around 5000 Kms
During my last visit, they were hard selling me some paint polishing job worth 5K with waxing an additional 3K if i remember correctly. I told them they must be out of their minds to even mention polishing my 3 month old car. I also got a small plastic part near the front fog light replaced which they quoted me 2.5K initially. They were maintaining that the entire lower body plastic on the front bumper has to be changed. After arguing with them for 5 minutes, they did the job for 200 Rs. That gave me an impression that they are out there to loot customers and are not a professional unit.
Apollo are a good set of tyres, I have JK's on Vento TDi HL. Does the job. What tyre pressure have you set on your car and do you use nitrogen or normal air?
Try to do servicing at 7500 kms as 5000 kms sounds too early and you would be landing a bill of Rs. 10000 or more at first service. Even the manual recommends 7500 kms for places where traffic is stop go.
Never get the polishing done by these nuts at VW, had seen one VW Pearl Black Polo been done and the job looked horrific. The DA used was causing more swirls marks than giving any shine. For 8K you could easily get top quality polish, sealant, swirl remover and car wash.
All the VW workshop have the tendency to loot the customer, no doubt. The VW Navi Mumbai, Nerul is also the same.
As bala recommends, get your engine bay checked for dead animals at the workshop and even try looking by yourself too.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 14:37   #2974

Thanks Bala80 & El Lobo.
I too am suspecting something foul stuck in the engine bay. Maybe its just decaying leaves plus stinky mud water. Will check it personally. Any idea where the pollen filter is on Vento. Saw a video for Jetta on youtube and it was just behind the windscreen washers. Vento's filter is somewhere else i think, cant see it there.

I use normal air at 30 or 32 depending on load expected on all fours. VW guys gave me an estimate of 3.5K for the first servicing but i doubt it will be more than that. Still 10K sounds too much for an Oil change and regular maintenance.

All i have read about paint maintenance tells me the less you touch it , the longer it stays. I wash the car myself over weekends using Armour All Wash & Shine , followed by an application of Eagle One Nano Wax. For daily maintenance, i use a microfiber towel to very gently flick any dirt off the body. The wheels are bit neglected and only get washed every weekend. Takes about 2 hours for this and saves me money that i would have paid to a GYM.
Old 18th September 2011, 14:50   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
As bala recommends, get your engine bay checked for dead animals at the workshop and even try looking by yourself too.
You reminded me of one case of a swift owner. The issue was foul smell. Finally it was identified as a dead snake inside the gearbox. God knows how it got in.
Old 18th September 2011, 16:26   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Loyalcasanova- I'm fairly certain it should be something in the engine bay which is causing this. To start with, you may try running the car with heater fully on, top blower speed in recirculation mode for about 10-15 minutes. This will eliminate any fungus that might have formed behind the vents which may cause the bad odour.

This is a recommended practice once in a couple of weeks to keep your car feeling fresh.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:27   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea where the pollen filter is on Vento. Saw a video for Jetta on Youtube and it was just behind the windscreen washers. Vento's filter is somewhere else i think, cant see it there.

I use normal air at 30 or 32 depending on load expected on all fours. VW guys gave me an estimate of 3.5K for the first servicing but i doubt it will be more than that. Still 10K sounds too much for an Oil change and regular maintenance.

All i have read about paint maintenance tells me the less you touch it , the longer it stays. I wash the car myself over weekends using Armour All Wash & Shine , followed by an application of Eagle One Nano Wax. For daily maintenance, i use a microfiber towel to very gently flick any dirt off the body. The wheels are bit neglected and only get washed every weekend. Takes about 2 hours for this and saves me money that i would have paid to a GYM.
I would recommend you to change over to nitrogen ASAP. Nitrogen has many advantage over normal air. I have set the air pressure as 33 front and 35 rear, suits the car well and improves fuel efficiency too. Try it.
VW gave an estimate of 3.5K, they are out of their mind. Engine oil Castrol 5W-40 itself will cost you 4K for the change of engine oil. First service will nearly cost you plus or minus 10K easily.
Its good to know that you too clean your by yourself every weekend. Even I clean my car myself every weekend with ONR and wax it with Collinite 915 every 2 months. Would love to meet you at some T-BHP meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
You reminded me of one case of a swift owner. The issue was foul smell. Finally it was identified as a dead snake inside the gearbox. God knows how it got in.
Which variety of snake was it and where is the Swift located?.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:44   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Snake INSIDE a gear box is surely a first !! Unless it went in during assembly. It would anyway have been mince meat or fried with hot oil & minced. Wonder how anyone figured out it was a snake

Cheers
Old 19th September 2011, 11:20   #2979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the craters on mumbai roads, my car has suddenly developed lot of body roll and i can feel even the smallest of jerks and shocks. Worried that the suspension may have given out already.
I doubt it. Drive slowly over craters and you should be fine.

Quote:
The Alloy wheels seem to be made of butter as ever curb, small stone seems to cut through it easily. There are numerous deep cuts on the alloys which is unbelievable.
I have to agree- the OE alloys suck. And VW has the gall to price them at 76,000 for the set (I can get better aftermarket ones for 1/4th that price). I had a nasty experience when my left front wheel landed in a huge crater on the Mumbai bypass and when I checked later the alloy had scratches all over it .

Quote:
The A/C gives a very bad stink when switching from air recirculate mode to fresh air. The workshop guy claims to have changed the pollen filter but there has been no improvement. I have to drive using the air recirculate mode all the time which is a pain.
You live in Mumbai, what do you expect? . I would suggest NOT using recirc all the time- it will certainly let in all the odours and smoke of the surroundings, despite the air/pollen filter. Also do get those checks done for dead animals etc.

Quote:
The mileage ranges from 7KMPL to max 9KMPL in mumbai traffic which is pathetic.
My driving style is very easy and i dont drive aggressively at all. Infact these figures are after i used few hypermiling techniques , earlier it was in the range of 6-8 KMPL.
If it's any consolation in peak Mumbai suburban traffic that is the same number I get for my Vento AT petrol. Glad that I don't live there anymore. Pune is much better an I get aroun 9-10 consistently.
I have been complaining on my own ownership thread as well that the VW petrols deliver horrible mileage in lower gears. Am sure you've noticed that 3rd gear and above delivers much better FE. Will ask them why this is so at the first service- doubt there will be any helpful answer somehow!

Quote:
The car has done 3500KM and i dont think i will wait till 5000 for the first servicing. Any other vento owner facing similar issues?
Quote:
Thanks Bala80 & El Lobo.

30/32 is too low, dude! No wonder you're getting poor FE. Try keeping it at 33 or better still 34 all across in the city.

3500/- for first service is way too low an estimate. From the collective experience of Vento owners on the forums, I would peg it between 7,500 and 11,000/- Don't rush to "service" the car too early: don't think there is much value in that.

3500 is too early- give it time to settle in: around 5000 km, you should observe a noticeable increase in mileage. Also, don't drive it in city rush hour traffic 100%- that is just unfair on the car: allow that engine to breathe by stretching its legs on a highway run or two every weekend!
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 13:22   #2980
BHPian

I'm planning to go for my first Vento car service(15k) in Ramani,CBE. Also planning to activate the auto-lock. Will update you guys with details.

Could you guys tell me any important stuffs that need to be checked during service?
Old 19th September 2011, 13:49   #2981
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics of the new player & USB slot in the glove box. Got these while I did the pdi of my car before it is sent for registration.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, was in a hurry & I didn't have the time to get a good picture; could manage only these with my blackberry.
One improvement (if you can call it so) - the background of the player & the ACC display have been changed to black (with white font).

Also as mentioned earlier, the missing chorme inserts are back, and the steering wheel has a sleek black leather cover.

Couldn't really check the difference in sound quality of the music player (with additonal 2 speakers/new player).

P.s. Dealer says RTO doesn't accept driver's license as a ID proof or address proof! Is this true?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img00063201109191211.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img00062201109191210.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img00061201109191210.jpg  

ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 15:00   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pics of the new player & USB slot in the glove box. Got these while I did the pdi of my car before it is sent for registration.

P.s. Dealer says RTO doesn't accept driver's license as a ID proof or address proof! Is this true?
2 more speakers? Wow! If possible please share the photograph of the new steering wheel as well when you get your car.

And regarding Driving License, they have stopped accepting this as address proof for many things in Bangalore as well. One year back when I applied for renewal of my passport they did not accept the DL as one of the address proof.

P.S. My dealer said I can get the car by Oct 15th. I had booked a Black Vento TDi. Working backwards, if I am supposed to get the car by Oct 15th then the allotment should happen by Oct 5th?

Last edited by prabhuferrari : 19th September 2011 at 15:02.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:32   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
2 more speakers? Wow! If possible please share the photograph of the new steering wheel as well when you get your car.
Will do, should hopefully get the car by Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
P.S. My dealer said I can get the car by Oct 15th. I had booked a Black Vento TDi. Working backwards, if I am supposed to get the car by Oct 15th then the allotment should happen by Oct 5th?
How has he committed - verbally or by mail?

If I were you, either way I wouldn't be 100% sure the allocation would happen as per the dealer committment. For me I have been given 4 committments, two verbal ,and the next two on mail. On the plus side, black seems to be a color in higher production by VW - so keep your fingers crossed

But assuming the best, if Oct 15th is the delivery date of your car, then around 12th the car would be going for registration; by 10th the car should have been delivered to the dealer from the factory; and the car allocation should be done by 5th - 7th (depending on the transportation time from Pune to Bangalore).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th September 2011 at 15:36.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:50   #2984
Senior - BHPian

I think they would have now added components in the front, counting the tweeters as added speakers. Can you confirm?

Also, for the benefit of everyone, can you post the list of all features/additions in this updated vento?
Old 19th September 2011, 15:59   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Will do, should hopefully get the car by Thursday.

How has he committed - verbally or by mail?
Verbally ofcourse. I am getting the car via Orix lease. So there is some muscle power to help me deal with VW. I am not having any expectations.

Also as Bala asked can you please list down all the new features? Sincerely hope the engine is still 1.6 and VW didn't change that!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks