Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:15   #3031
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
@Ninja & Ricky

It should be 1.6 R4 16V 77KW (105 PS @ 4000 Rpm). The same 1.6TDI engine exists in different tune states like 75KW, 66KW & 55KW. But if its 85KW lets be happy about it ;-) otherwise this needs some serious introspection.
@All
Any ideas on how to check for the appropriate tune state of the engine
- wow am seriously getting paranoid now, but since there is some history on this manufacturer (or its dealers, I dont care) on being silent about adding / deleting features I dont see why I should not be..

@ SR-71

Yes the engine is the same.
Just checked the detailed reports generated using the VINs provided by me and Ninja. Mine is a pre-refreshed Vento whereas the one Ninja has got is the refreshed one.

Both the reports illustrate the engine as under:

D38 4-cyl. turbo dies. eng. 1.6 l/77 kW (4V)
TDI common rail
Base engine is TF3/TN1/TJ1

Quote:
Now this is new - So is he surveillance system taken out or is it there in HL ? We have conflicting reports from Ninja & Ricky. It sounds fishy to me. I hope Trendlines are not being passed on with parking sensors, new stereo and steering mounted controls and body color door handles as highline. That might explain the missing surveillance system. Anyway before we jump into conspiracy theories it would make sense to get some clarity for this.
Nope , i m 100% sure that its not the case!
If you want, you can put in the VIN of any new refreshed vento and look at the components. It has been designed as Highline. Features like Airbags & ABS cannot just be added post production - the cost of re-assembly would offset the potential savings by trying to pass on a lower variant.

The interior surveillance has been deleted in the refreshed Vento - i have personally seen and verified it on 3 refreshed vehicles.

And if you go in details, even components like, seat adjuster from rear (i.e. Spacemax arrangement) ; body coloured door handles; electrically adjustable outside mirrors etc. are mentioned in the detailed reports extracted using the VIN.

(thanks to Wildon for sending across the detailed report of my VIN)

Last edited by gaurav911 : 23rd September 2011 at 13:29.
gaurav911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:36   #3032
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like there are a lot of expectations being "projected" on this refresh! Just to clarify, the engine spec was never supposed to be included in the refresh, for sure it is the same 105 PS (77 kW) 1.6L engine even now.

Also, the display of both ICE and climatronic has *definitely* changed- don't need to double-check etc. as some are suggesting. This is the colour combo in the pre-refresh Vento:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento-011.jpg

In the daytime it is just black lettering and at night (when arking/headlights are activated) there is a blue backlight. This clearly looks NOTHING like the pics Ricky has posted.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-refresh.jpg

You can clearly see that the AC lettering is white, whereas on the pre-refresh Vento it is black.

Edit: We even have the same radio station playing!

Last edited by noopster : 23rd September 2011 at 13:46. Reason: Uploaded a better picture
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:33   #3033
BHPian

@Noopster - Yes I did compare the same set of pictures from this thread and realize the difference. What I am looking at (i guess I specifically mentioned that) is what is the backlit color with lights turned on. We know the old model that the stero turns from grey (??) background black font to blue background + black font when lit up. So what about the new one ? From black background white font to what when lit up ?

FYI - The same unit (I had posted the picture in page 194 i guess) in other parts of the world continue to show the trademark blue background + black font when lit up.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:08   #3034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
@ SR-71

Yes the engine is the same.
Just checked the detailed reports generated using the VINs provided by me and Ninja. Mine is a pre-refreshed Vento whereas the one Ninja has got is the refreshed one.

Both the reports illustrate the engine as under:

D38 4-cyl. turbo dies. eng. 1.6 l/77 kW (4V)
TDI common rail
Base engine is TF3/TN1/TJ1

+1 to this.
Also if anyone wants to verify/compare the entire list of features, @wildon has shared the detailed spec pdf for my VIN on his thread - please do have a look.

@SR-71,
rest assured, there are a lot more aspects to just juggling with the features when they define the trendline & highline. Even the insurance copy & the RC book (assumption) require the mentioning of the version - Highline, Comfortline or Trendline.

Quote:
So what about the new one ? From black background white font to what when lit up ?
Noted this point.

Tell you what, I'll try to put up a detailed portfolio of my car (a la GTO new car review level detailed) to figure out if their any changes been done in the car.

If there is any specific equipment that needs to be verified - interior, exterior, boot, underbody , anything PM me or post it here - will get a snapshot of the same - nothing would please me, a shutterbug, more!

OT : Somebody had questioned here what is the TP button on the ICE is for - did a bit of googling - found out that the TP button is to switch off/on the traffic announcements. Guess it might make sense in Europe, but anyone has any idea on what it might work out here?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd September 2011 at 15:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:22   #3035
BHPian

@Ninja

Thats very kind of you. So here are some points that I think would need introspection (most are cosmetic i guess, cause the changes are cosmetic and so the expectation might sound a bit silly )

1) Changes to HU & ACC - Colors when lit up and when not
2) When lit up, Do the color hues look same and match (between HU & ACC) or does it look odd - Remember someone mentioning about a mismatch in the forum
3) What in the place of the interior surveillance system (you already answered that this has been covered well with roof carpet)
4) We all know by now that the phone button in the steering mounted control is dummy - but does it have connecting wires all the way to the HU - if so would it be easy to make an add on BT module and make the button work (Something like a DIY kit)
5) Hope no more silly deletions - things that i can think of are the carpeted boot or floor mats or change in seat quality
6) Engine specs (Again my worry for now has been put to sleep by gaurav's VIN based response)
7) Parking sensors, how they work and are they body colored (I guess the pictures showed it to be so)

Cant think of more for now - and I really appreciate your help on this and the pictures that you plan to click for the questions above.

OT - I would be flying to Pune for a couple of days next week for work - maybe I will sync up with you & possibly some fellow BHP'ians from Pune [I feel bad that I haven't made an effort to do that with Chennai fellow BHP'ians yet]

Last edited by SR-71 : 23rd September 2011 at 15:33.
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:28   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
@Ninja

7) Parking sensors, how they work and are they body colored (I guess the pictures showed it to be so)
Till, Ninja puts up the pics, i ll just try and rest your doubts.
In the refreshed Vento, the parking sensors are fitted by VW during manufacturing and not dealer installed. They are integrated into the bumper (not even the slightest protrusion) and are body colored.
These sensors are of the audio type/ distance indicator type. When you slot the car in reverse, there is a beep to indicate the safe distance along with an optical image on the RCD 310 HU that indicates the distance from the wall/ obstruction with the help of bars. There is no life feed/ image i.e. the sensors are not of the camera type.

In the pre-refreshed Vento which i have reserved, the parking sensors are bundled as part of the accessory package. These sensors are fitted by the dealer before the delivery and can be clearly seen as a having a slight bulge on the rear bumper. Moreover, they are black in color ( i have asked my dealer to get them painted in body color to which he has agreed )
Also, the in cabin warnings are only of the audio/ beep type.
gaurav911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:01   #3037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Noopster - Yes I did compare the same set of pictures from this thread and realize the difference. What I am looking at (i guess I specifically mentioned that) is what is the backlit color with lights turned on. We know the old model that the stero turns from grey (??) background black font to blue background + black font when lit up. So what about the new one ? From black background white font to what when lit up ?
Well, friend Ninja has already volunteered to confirm this but with white lettering, my gut feeling is that there will be NO backlighting at all. So it will be white on black even at night since the gentle blue backlighting on the pre-refresh version is to ensure that the black lettering is visible at night.

What say?
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:03   #3038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT : Somebody had questioned here what is the TP button on the ICE is for - did a bit of googling - found out that the TP button is to switch off/on the traffic announcements. Guess it might make sense in Europe, but anyone has any idea on what it might work out here?
Thanks ninja. I was thinking... it would either be the telephone(bluetooth) or the Tyre pressure monitor ,as is available in the caska units.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:49   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well, friend Ninja has already volunteered to confirm this but with white lettering, my gut feeling is that there will be NO backlighting at all. So it will be white on black even at night since the gentle blue backlighting on the pre-refresh version is to ensure that the black lettering is visible at night.

What say?

That makes a whole lot sense & would be nice if true !! As the blue is distracting - no ??

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:32   #3040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

What say?
It's been over a year since the Vento was launched, and I come to know about this blue backlighting only today! Don't remember seeing a night pic of the player in any of the ownership threads. Can you please put up a pic of this whenever you get the chance?
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:14   #3041
BHPian

Quote:
It's been over a year since the Vento was launched, and I come to know about this blue backlighting only today! Don't remember seeing a night pic of the player in any of the ownership threads. Can you please put up a pic of this whenever you get the chance?
Ninja, you probably did not know because you took test drives in the day!

I already have some pics of the blue backlit instrument panel. Sharing these. I love the soothing blue colour and don't want to disturb this OEM look when I go for a custom HU setup! The car looks like a jet cockpit at night with all the red and blue lights around you.

Edit: Arrgh, TBHP's enthusiastic JPEG compression ruins simple photos!

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0744.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0745.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0746.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0747.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0748.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 23rd September 2011 at 21:21.
nileshch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:20   #3042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Ninja, you probably did not know because you took test drives in the day!

I already have some pics of the blue backlit instrument panel. Sharing these. I love the soothing blue colour and don't want to disturb this OEM look when I go for a custom HU setup!
WOW! How did I miss this?!!!

And a few pages back, when Sourav was talking about the night lighting of the Vento, I thought he was talking about the MID lighting & the front/rear lights in the car!

Nilesh - you shouldn't have shown me this, I am going to hate the new ICE if it doesn't have this back-lighting setup!
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:12   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to hate the new ICE if it doesn't have this back-lighting setup!
There you go - You captured the essence of my feeling, hence all those strange cirbs I had been having about the back-light on the new setup. Probably couldn't convey it appropriately.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:14   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
I am going to hate the new ICE if it doesn't have this back-lighting setup!
Well, let's just hope VW does justice to the backlit panels. White and red is not too bad a combination either!
Old 24th September 2011, 01:33   #3045
BHPian

Guys, I have been comparing the detailed reports generated by Wildon for the VIN provided by me (pre-refreshed Vento) and Ninja(refreshed Vento).

1 observation that hit me was the difference in the suspension codes.

In my VIN details, it mentions:
L42 Suspension range 42 installation control only, no requirement forecast

In Ninja's VIN details it mentions:
L54 Suspension range 54 installation control only, no requirement forecast

Does anyone have any idea, what is this supposed to indicate?
Are there any rumors/ reports of the now refreshed Vento having a different suspension setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks