Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 10:50   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Bro in law will be booking a Vento or Jetta on occasion of diwali

by now the volkswagen folks must have gone crazy due to us test driving both the cars multiple times and flipping the booking amount from vento to jetta and vice versa 2 times.

in any case i dont want him to buy a linea as i own one. secondly fludic verna disappointed us on handling.

my very honest review will be as below.

1. The engine noise in idling immediately remind me of Sumo Victa/ Tata indigo TDI. kad kad kad kad kad kad sound is really bad. its no where as refined as the MJD engines of Fiat.

2. The engine power delivery is amazing. The immense torque pushes you to seat and overtaking is breeze , as if in sporty mode of jetta. the torque in linea doesnt even stand close to ventos.

3. Clutch - after driving for 20-25 min my left leg started paining. i doubt whether vento has hydraulic clutch. even the sumo grande clutch is lighter. this causes lot of fatigue in city driving. after driving vento when i came back to my linea i thought my clutch lever is broken and its going in so easily.

4. There are immense amount of vibrations in the clutch pedal as if its directly connected to the vibrating TDI engine of vento.

5. the steering feels too light and road feedback is not as good as linea or jetta.

6. the suspensions are amazing and the ride quality is very good, rear benchers are also very comfortable.

7. the front seats seem to be small in width, when i first sat in drivers seat i though the seat has no side supports and seat ends quickly.

8. the front windsheild seems to be small and doesnt give a feel of driving a sedan.

9. the gear shift is very slick and very precise. again if i keep hand on gear level while driving there are lots of vibrations.

10. The quality of interiors and fit and finish is very upclass. also the quality of switches is very good and i am sure they will last till eternity.

with all the short fallings of vento when the Jetta feels way better with the very good quality high tech engine the jetta lacks on some features like auto climate control, useless arm rests etc.

no one is really able to understand why jetta is deprived of the features which a lower segment car from same stable has.

The Vento does have a hydraulic clutch. I would suggest you go with the Jetta, as it is undoubtedly a better car. Also if you already have these nagging issues in your mind - do not get the Vento.

Having said that. I think the TD vehicles may be a abused lot. The clutch in my car is butter smooth, Yes the car engine can be heard outside easily (insurance against the fuel pump attendant filling petrol ) It is not quite audible on the inside in normal driving but at high revs yes it is

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 11:22   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
with all the short fallings of vento when the Jetta feels way better with the very good quality high tech engine the jetta lacks on some features like auto climate control, useless arm rests etc.

no one is really able to understand why jetta is deprived of the features which a lower segment car from same stable has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The Vento does have a hydraulic clutch. I would suggest you go with the Jetta, as it is undoubtedly a better car. Also if you already have these nagging issues in your mind - do not get the Vento.

Having said that. I think the TD vehicles may be a abused lot. The clutch in my car is butter smooth, Yes the car engine can be heard outside easily (insurance against the fuel pump attendant filling petrol ) It is not quite audible on the inside in normal driving but at high revs yes it is
Cheers
Ricky is spot on - if you have the dosh to spare , you should go with the Jetta . With bigger more powerful engine and better refinements , its overall a better car than the Vento . I am not too sure whether the absence of ACC should be that big an issue , I guess the focus should be much more on how effective the AC is rather than whether you have to turn a knob or jab at a button !
Oh yes , the clatter of the TDi engine of the Vento is surely an insurance against the pump guy filling up the wrong fuel . The clutch is stiff to beging with but gets smoother with use , thats been my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra98 View Post
Skaja!

Its from Downtown Volkswagen. Dunno if its becoz I am going through Orix. He said if I ask for other colors like blue it will take couple of months.
A few extra weeks of wait is worth it , go for the blue if you like it . Personally I think its an awesome shade
Old 16th October 2011, 11:32   #3243
Distinguished - BHPian

@integra98,
The blue color is worth the wait, so is the black color. But be ready to spend a lot of care (and moolah) for the upkeep of the color to maintain the shine and beauty - when dirty, both colors make you wanna drop everything and spend the day cleaning her up.

And the initial scratch(es) on these colors are so prominent, it makes you want to kill yourself!
Old 16th October 2011, 13:16   #3244
BHPian

Here are the two brothers discussing stuff at Hebbal lake. One in Black and other in Blue. As Sourav and Ninja say, its worth the wait

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0446.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0447.jpg

P.S. The Blue belongs to Nilesh.
prabhuferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 13:58   #3245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Here are the two brothers discussing stuff at Hebbal lake. One in Black and other in Blue. As Sourav and Ninja say, its worth the wait

P.S. The Blue belongs to Nilesh.
Super sexy pics! I'll be doing a meetup with a black vento next weekend - hopefully I can get up as good pics as these!

Btw who won in the beauty contest?
Old 16th October 2011, 14:32   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Super sexy pics! I'll be doing a meetup with a black vento next weekend - hopefully I can get up as good pics as these!

Btw who won in the beauty contest?
There can be only one winner. Blue, of course. Best part about the blue Vento is that it looks a different shade based on the lighting and surroundings. I, also, feel that out of the current Color options blue suits Vento the best
Old 16th October 2011, 15:56   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@integra98,
The blue color is worth the wait, so is the black color. But be ready to spend a lot of care (and moolah) for the upkeep of the color to maintain the shine and beauty - when dirty, both colors make you wanna drop everything and spend the day cleaning her up.

And the initial scratch(es) on these colors are so prominent, it makes you want to kill yourself!
Nothing to beat the silver if the scratches are to be hidden I have even grown out of the habit of putting the wipers in the service position, the silver colour of my Vento makes it immune to any marks left behind by the wretched wiper being dragged out by our not-so-savvy car wash guy
Old 16th October 2011, 17:33   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@integra98,
The blue color is worth the wait, so is the black color.
Just the right time to show some photos

Quote:
Quote:
Best part about the blue Vento is that it looks a different shade based on the lighting and surroundings. I, also, feel that out of the current Color options blue suits Vento the best
Absolutely!! The car looks great in both colours. After that it comes to personal choice. Here is one more photo:

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0228.jpg

More photos here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2547038
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 18:26   #3249
BHPian

Sorry guys , I had a long break from the forum but now am back. Well, my car was delivered in few months ago; here are my impressions after doing about 3000 Km,

a) Fuel Economy is exceptional for such a heavy car , I get about 15-17 kmpl in the city and got 25 once on the highway run with AC on and speed at steady 70-80kmph.
b) Drive-ability a notch above other cars, no need to change to 2nd gear too in regular city traffic, just press the peddle and it picks up speed instantly.
c) Rear Visibility a bit suspect while reversing.
d) Engine Noise cools down after few minutes of driving.
e) Acceleration as good as ever with no problems.
f) Niggling issues like rubber strips on the doors starting to come out but I am sure they need a minor tweak and can be sorted.
g) AC ok but not as chilly as SX4 or my old Honda City.

I plan to go on a weekend trip near Diwali and also once the new Yamuna Expressway Opens, I plan to visit Agra so it would a good time to test her expressway manners and performance.

More to come later.

Cheers.
Old 16th October 2011, 19:54   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Great set of pictures.

Both colours are equally good. If only there was a lighter shade to provide the contrast it would have been even better. Eg - White, Silver, Beige. Our forum is missing few more beige ventos though.

P.S - VW's choice of colour is so boring, where are the grey's & meroon's VW??? - they'd look awesome on an vento!
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 20:46   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Sorry guys , I had a long break from the forum but now am back. Well, my car was delivered in few months ago; here are my impressions after doing about 3000 Km,

a) Fuel Economy is exceptional for such a heavy car , I get about 15-17 kmpl in the city and got 25 once on the highway run with AC on and speed at steady 70-80kmph.
b) Drive-ability a notch above other cars, no need to change to 2nd gear too in regular city traffic, just press the peddle and it picks up speed instantly.
c) Rear Visibility a bit suspect while reversing.
d) Engine Noise cools down after few minutes of driving.
e) Acceleration as good as ever with no problems.
f) Niggling issues like rubber strips on the doors starting to come out but I am sure they need a minor tweak and can be sorted.
g) AC ok but not as chilly as SX4 or my old Honda City.

I plan to go on a weekend trip near Diwali and also once the new Yamuna Expressway Opens, I plan to visit Agra so it would a good time to test her expressway manners and performance.

More to come later.

Cheers.

Get rear parking sensors installed. That should sort it

Get your AC checked - the one in my car is such that I am running 25 to 26 degrees nowadays.

I also checked it out in extreme summer, never disappointed..

cheers
Old 17th October 2011, 16:20   #3252
BHPian

Folks, need a little help. I am running at 6.3k on the odo now and the engine oil (which had blackened now) level has come down to the C level (lowest, from manual) in the dipstick test. I am going on a long drive the coming weekend. My schedule for the week is tight and I may be unable to go to the VW workshop which is 20km away from my house.

Would it be advisable to have the engine oil replaced from an external workshop as against taking the car to the VW workshop? If yes, what should be the specific grade & brand of engine oil I should buy?
Old 17th October 2011, 17:25   #3253

[COLOR=black]My brother-in-law has the 1.6 Highline petrol model. This car has a strange problem of late, whenever he parks the car and locks it exactly after an hour or so the alarm goes off, once it is unlocked and locked again it never recurs. We have taken it to Downtown Motors but their service guys are clueless. This has become a routine for him if he leaves the vehicle at any place for over an hour.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Another problem being the intermittent wiper speed option does not work but the rest of wiper speeds work. We reported this also to which they said they would find out as this was a first again. My guess is it could be an issue related to the ECU which the service guys did check and could not figure out. Anybody else have had similar issues and got it rectified please let me know.[/COLOR]
Old 17th October 2011, 17:40   #3254
Senior - BHPian

nileshch and prabhuferrari, your cars look great in formation. Undoubtedly the darker colours suit the Vento best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Nothing to beat the silver if the scratches are to be hidden I have even grown out of the habit of putting the wipers in the service position, the silver colour of my Vento makes it immune to any marks left behind by the wretched wiper being dragged out by our not-so-savvy car wash guy
Precisely why I have gone for silver. Maintaining the sheen and gloss of black colour cars is no easy task down the line. Not to mention tiny marks/scratches left by countless car washes.
Old 17th October 2011, 18:27   #3255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Folks, need a little help. I am running at 6.3k on the odo now and the engine oil (which had blackened now) level has come down to the C level (lowest, from manual) in the dipstick test. I am going on a long drive the coming weekend. My schedule for the week is tight and I may be unable to go to the VW workshop which is 20km away from my house.

Would it be advisable to have the engine oil replaced from an external workshop as against taking the car to the VW workshop? If yes, what should be the specific grade & brand of engine oil I should buy?
I was in the same situation few months back, Adding thread link to give you more info

Most Viewed