Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 19:45   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

My pleasure SR-71, happy to be of some help to you.

As souravc mentioned do get these done before taking delivery, I can guarentee 99.99% that abra motors will not even know what you are asking for!!!

All the very best and put this pre-sales experience behind you. Wishing you many happy miles and memories with your new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
So finally, I got the VIN number of my car and retrieved all the associated details. Everything looks good. So the painful countdown begins for the car to be arrive at the dealers yard which at this point is still a week away. Once it comes i plan to give a through PDI check before signing on the form 20.

Bala, Thanks a ton for the many advise & support. Will keep you guys posted on the development.
Old 12th November 2011, 20:43   #3437
Senior - BHPian

done the PDI of my vento today. everything found ok. but the head unit is not working. the SA told me that they will hook a ECU scanner and then reset everything to make it work.

when i started the engine there was a huge jerk, also the engine vibration on start was evident with bonnet open too.

when in put on the AC there were vibrations inside too, when i press the accelerator with car standstill still the engine vibrations can be felt inside and in the pedals.

i thought this is the issue with my car, so checked 2 more ventos standing by.

then i realised this(vibrations) is the characteristic of vento.

took a short drive inside the stock yard on rough road itself. just loved the torque, amazing.

The full yard was filled with Ventos and one beetle, but no Jettas :(

Notice the jerk in engine (which is felt in cabin too) in the video and the much debated Tata Sumo type TDI noise.

Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040557.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040558.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040560.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040561.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040564.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-p1040562.jpg  

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 12th November 2011 at 21:02.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 20:49   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg
done the PDI of my vento today. everything found ok. but the head unit is not working. the SA told me that they will hook a ECU scanner and then reset everything to make it work.

when i started the engine there was a huge jerk, also the engine vibration on start was evident with bonnet open too.

when in put on the AC there were vibrations inside too, when i press the accelerator with car standstill still the engine vibrations can be felt inside and in the pedals.

i thought this is the issue with my car, so checked 2 more ventos standing by.

then i realised this(vibrations) is the characteristic of vento.

took a short drive inside the stock yard on rough road itself. just loved the torque, amazing.

The full yard was filled with Ventos and one beetle, but no Jettas :(
They will connect your Vento to the computer and activate the music system with a 4 digit numerical code. Till then it won't work. There is no resetting here.
Old 13th November 2011, 00:19   #3439
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi amit congrats on your new Vento! I noticed your MID display in the PDI showed trA 12.5. not sure what that is since my MID only displays a number!
Old 13th November 2011, 00:38   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hi amit congrats on your new Vento! I noticed your MID display in the PDI showed trA 12.5. not sure what that is since my MID only displays a number!
i think its the trial run 12.5 kms remained/done after which the ECU shuts down the car. there is a lock upto which the car can be tested before PDI.

only after the PDI the car is fully functional.

nice ones to avoid misuse
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 12:26   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i think its the trial run 12.5 kms remained/done after which the ECU shuts down the car. there is a lock upto which the car can be tested before PDI.

only after the PDI the car is fully functional.

nice ones to avoid misuse
Amit congrats on your new Vento, enjoy it. Another thing, there is no such auto lock after trial period, which shows in your car 12.6 remaining.
When I did the PDi of my Vento TDi HL, it had 0 kms on the odometer at the stock yard. The SA told me that they will bring in the car at their workshop for final PDi the same day I did the PDi.
I thought rather than their driver driving my Vento from the stock yard to their workshop, I did rather drive it. The total distance covered was about 30 kms.
I don't think so, that there is any trial period or auto lock period. That would sound outrageous. What if the stockyard is 30 kms from the workshop and the odo has only 12.6 kms on the trial period. The car would stop in the middle of the road. VW would have to do the PDi in the middle of now where to start the car.
Old 13th November 2011, 18:01   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Amit congrats on your new Vento, enjoy it. Another thing, there is no such auto lock after trial period, which shows in your car 12.6 remaining.
When I did the PDi of my Vento TDi HL, it had 0 kms on the odometer at the stock yard. The SA told me that they will bring in the car at their workshop for final PDi the same day I did the PDi.
I thought rather than their driver driving my Vento from the stock yard to their workshop, I did rather drive it. The total distance covered was about 30 kms.
I don't think so, that there is any trial period or auto lock period. That would sound outrageous. What if the stockyard is 30 kms from the workshop and the odo has only 12.6 kms on the trial period. The car would stop in the middle of the road. VW would have to do the PDi in the middle of now where to start the car.
aah, this is what the SA told me. the car in unloaded from the container and it has certain kms left on it before which they should do the PDI. now i dont know how many kms exactly

i had never heard about this feature earlier
Old 13th November 2011, 22:51   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The 'tr' signifies temporary reading on the trip meter. Depending on the kilometers that the factory has preset the value at, it will disappear once that many kilometers have been travelled. The feature is a sort of check to enable customers to ensure that the vehicles were only driven from the factory / warehouse etc to showrooms and not used as test mules. Further in appropriately equipped cars this feature allows the ECU to ignore these initial distances from it's calculations of next service due etc. so on and so forth.

The Fiat's have this too, wherein it is designated by a 'H' which goes off after 150 Kms. I am not aware what the setting is for the VWs. The service center too may turn off the 'tr' at the time of pdi. What they cannot do is to bring it back on.

You guys could also check whether these initial distances are turning the main odometer or whether it rolls only after the tr has disappeared.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 00:50   #3444
Senior - BHPian

got the delivery of the vento.

cut short-

1. amazing delivery experience from B.U.Bhandari.

2. Boot lid not opening with remote button

3. The new HU is acting funny. it doesnt stop on any stations while scanning the FM radio.

4. The whole first day was city drive. amazing engine.

5. My left leg is paining since yesterday night and a lot the tractor clutch effect.

6. Can feels small from inside and on road too for drivability. so city driving is a breeze.

7. Power steering is too boring.

I will come up with a detailed report once i jolt down more point after more kms are clocked.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 07:58   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg

cut short-

3. The new HU is acting funny. it doesnt stop on any stations while scanning the FM radio.

5. My left leg is paining since yesterday night and a lot the tractor clutch effect.

6. Can feels small from inside and on road too for drivability. so city driving is a breeze.

I will come up with a detailed report once i jolt down more point after more kms are clocked.
Many congratulations. Looking forward to your thread. Meanwhile did you try pressing the boot lid button for few seconds or just once? You need to press for few seconds for it to open. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 19th November 2011, 08:37   #3446
BHPian

Quote:

cut short-

Congrats. i wanted to ask you if you have driven a swift diesel thoroughly? How hard is the vento's clutch compared to it?

I will be buying a vento very soon and have had 2 test drives till now and i did feel it was a little hard but its coming as a surprise when owners are complaining of knee pain after driving vento.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:37   #3447
BHPian

Quote:

My left leg is paining since yesterday night and a lot the tractor clutch effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Congrats. i wanted to ask you if you have driven a swift diesel thoroughly? How hard is the vento's clutch compared to it?

I will be buying a vento very soon and have had 2 test drives till now and i did feel it was a little hard but its coming as a surprise when owners are complaining of knee pain after driving vento.
If you think the Vento's clutch is hard, you should drive my Logan dCi. The clutch is super hard. Seriously though, i have heard of quite a few people complaining about the clutch in terms of hardness as well as vibration. Please do let us know more in the days to come Amit. And congrats on your buy.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:53   #3448
Senior - BHPian

I know its not fair to compare the clutch of a petrol car with that of a diesel, but I just thought it was worth mentioning here. After an old friend of mine who drives a Vento drove my dad's ANHC and couldn't stop raving about the feather like clutch in the ANHC. I was quick to ask him, why he felt such a big difference when modern day diesels come with a not-so-hard to press clutch. He then told its a world of a difference since the clutch on his Vento wasn't as ligh as he would have liked. Can somebody compare the clutch of a diesel Vento and Diesel Fluidic Verna for a clearer picture?
Old 19th November 2011, 11:05   #3449
BHPian

I found the clutch hard for first 200 kms, and now the car has crossed 2600 kms. It's not that hard now. And this is in peak bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore. Yes its not that smooth, but leg and knee pain is definitely not there. Maybe you will get used to it in few hundred kms and also get used to the car.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:19   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I know its not fair to compare the clutch of a petrol car with that of a diesel, but I just thought it was worth mentioning here. After an old friend of mine who drives a Vento drove my dad's ANHC and couldn't stop raving about the feather like clutch in the ANHC. I was quick to ask him, why he felt such a big difference when modern day diesels come with a not-so-hard to press clutch. He then told its a world of a difference since the clutch on his Vento wasn't as ligh as he would have liked. Can somebody compare the clutch of a diesel Vento and Diesel Fluidic Verna for a clearer picture?
well before my purchase i had test drive of Fluidic verna too. the clutch was indeed lighter than vento. in all my test drives vento had the hardest clutch.

i have driven swift diesel too and it has lighter clutch too.

and comparing diesel with diesel , to compare ventos clutch with that of lineas, i would say linea has feather touch clutch, one can press it with fingers too.

i have driven logan long time back, i dont remember how hard it is.

but i guess one can get used to the hard clutch after driving for few more days.

in city its a pain but on highway i think it wont be an issue at all as one hardly needs to press the clutch.
after the pain yesterday i wasnt willing to shift the gear much while driving in the city :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks