Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:46   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I was charged (and got a receipt from RTO) EXACTLY the same amount that I was billed by VW in Pune. They even gave me receipt for 5,000/- for the special number selection (VW charged by 1K more as agenct fees, which is OK).

It's possible some dealers take advantage of customers who don't insist on receipts. I would suggest you guys dig deeper into this.
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:20   #3512
Senior - BHPian

now the rto rules have become strict. for special numbers you have to pay the amount directly to RTO and they give u receipt. for doing this process the agent charges 1000 rs.

i just went for a totaling number and i gave rto agent 1000 rs
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:34   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Even I got a special number for my Vento which costed me Rs. 7500 and for which I received a receipt. I didn't pay a extra dime reason being I did it myself.
RTO at Vashi, Navi Mumbai has a rate list for the numbers you want. Just select a number and they will check it up, if available pay up front and they issue you a receipt.
The number stands valid for 1 month. At the time of registration just attach the receipt, that's it. Not even once I was asked for any extra money. RTO jobs are plain simple its just these RTO agents which have spoiled the way of working at RTO's.
Old 24th November 2011, 09:56   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post

I was reading through the owners manual - just a cursory glance. I dint find any information on running-in the engine, strange. Am I missing something, can you guys point me to specific information.
Actually, I too had checked this with the show room guys, as the manual doesnt talk about run-in.

They say: "it is VW sir, no need to worry & there is no such restriction". However, going by the "tradition" & to be on the safer & conservative side, it is just a common trend to follow run-in constraints of not going above 2500rpm till around 1500km.

May be our fellow-BHPians can comment further.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:30   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Actually, I too had checked this with the show room guys, as the manual doesnt talk about run-in.

They say: "it is VW sir, no need to worry & there is no such restriction". However, going by the "tradition" & to be on the safer & conservative side, it is just a common trend to follow run-in constraints of not going above 2500rpm till around 1500km.

May be our fellow-BHPians can comment further.
Running in the brake pads, tyres, engine and how to cover the initial kilometers of the Vento are given in its owner's manual.
Brake Pads - Page number 125
Tyres - Page number 193
Engine & initial kilometers - Page number 201
Old 24th November 2011, 22:10   #3516
Senior - BHPian

guys whats the real city mileage your vento TDI is giving you? i am shocked to see 19.4 kmpl on MID.

When i take foot off my accelerator it shows a weird figure of 85kmpl which is impossible under idling conditions too.

with this kind of hypothetical interpolation is the average correct? i am yet to check it with tank full method.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:29   #3517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys whats the real city mileage your vento TDI is giving you? i am shocked to see 19.4 kmpl on MID.

When i take foot off my accelerator it shows a weird figure of 85kmpl which is impossible under idling conditions too.

with this kind of hypothetical interpolation is the average correct? i am yet to check it with tank full method.
Shocked as in a nice manner, I assume!

Regarding the 85kmpl - I think you are looking at the instantaneous FE display, even mine fluctuates between 1 to 100 kmph.

The only proper fuel analysis I did was on the Delhi trip which came close to 18kmpl for 95% highway driving (at speeds around 110-130 kmph).

In city with a sufficient amount of it being bumper to bumper traffic (office route), I generally get around 15-16kmpl, never did a tank to tank FE check till date, and probably never intend to - kmph is never going to be a factor of importance for me
Old 24th November 2011, 22:40   #3518
Senior - BHPian

thanks ninjatalli, but my instantaneous FE never shows 100 kmpl. how is it showing on yours? i am driving it very conservatively as i am observing a run in period. so might be i am getting awesome mileage.
Old 24th November 2011, 22:51   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but if one can get an instantaneous FE of 85 KMPL for the most part of the drive, the average FE tends to be the best? I think I read this somewhere in one of the Vento threads.

I am yet to do some proper FE tests for mine but I tend to get around 12 KMPL only, I need to understand why its at such a low end. Agreed that I face some of the worst stop go and unpredictable traffic situations during peak hours in the entire solar system. This is with fairly light footed driving.
Old 24th November 2011, 23:10   #3520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks ninjatalli, but my instantaneous FE never shows 100 kmpl. how is it showing on yours? i am driving it very conservatively as i am observing a run in period. so might be i am getting awesome mileage.
I don't remember exactly when, but I guess it was during the trip only, or just around that period. But I believe it was a rare occasion, and during my run-in period, even for me the instantaneous FE went to a max of 80s when I keep the speeds around 85-90 on the express highway. Probably as the kms increase, your instantaneous FE should go up too. Wouldn't worry too much about that indicator.

And you can trust that average mileage with a correction factor of 10-15%, this engine gives the best FE when you drive at constant speeds between 60-90 in the 5th gear, or so I have observed. A range which I find very hard to stick to!
Old 24th November 2011, 23:19   #3521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, at least this time, I am right in suggesting that this is due to coasting! Please refer to the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2396576 and the original thread. Until I came across that thread, I was in oblivion about a new concept in new generation vehicles.
Old 24th November 2011, 23:46   #3522
BHPian

So its 48 hrs since I took delivery and my MID reads 275Kms (45 when I took delivery). So following are my short observations..

Worries:
  • Its very difficult to manager shifts between the 1st & 2nd gear without a violent jerk. I transitioned to moving on - from stand still - using gear 2, it works but am worried that it might not be good for the engine to start from 2nd gear always in B2B traffic. But if I move from 1 and shift to 2 I am not able to do an proper acceleration without a jerk. Coming from driving a line of petrol cars for the past 12 years its pretty embarrassing (makes me feel I am a novice). Is this regular or am I doing something wrong here. Any advise is welcome.
  • While in gears 1,2 & 3 (specially 2 & 3) pressing the clutch fully gives me some sort of odd feeling as if the clutch is moving through an uneven patch of oil. I hear a mild sound as if you wade your hand in a bucket of water. Its smooth for the other gear. Any thoughts ?
Niggles:
  • I really dont like the panel gaps between the doors. The jetta has a rubber beading in the gap. Its blank in the vento and makes it look like its not set in properly. I have observed this in about 12 odd vento's I looked around in the showroom
  • I hear a small hissing sound every time the car goes over a bump. I zeroed it to the air conditioning equipment. Its like as if extra air is pushed out and it makes a very very miniscule hiss.
  • The engine is really loud from the outside - But hell who cares the cabin is relatively decently insulated.
  • There are some vibrations that propagate into cabin when the car is at stand still, reminds me of a Tata Sumo
  • While driving with my window open I realized that every time the car goes over a speed breaker in some speed there is some hiss that comes from the front part of the car (probably the suspension) that you traditionally hear from a bus with air-suspension (If you know what I mean). Is this common ?
  • The dealers s**k. The idiots dint activate my auto speed lock despite specific instruction.
Love:
  • Its amazing to drive & I love every aspect of the car. Period.
Accessories:
  • Added 3D Maxspider mats (Rs. 5200/-). I just did it today evening and later in the day we had to put up with heavy rains. Thank goodness I dint have to worry about people dirtying the carpet with slush.
  • Going in for 3M sun filming tomorrow. Any suggestions here are welcome.
  • Planning for leather seats from Stanley but that might have to wait until after next week.

Last edited by SR-71 : 24th November 2011 at 23:54.
Old 25th November 2011, 02:34   #3523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but if one can get an instantaneous FE of 85 KMPL for the most part of the drive, the average FE tends to be the best? I think I read this somewhere in one of the Vento threads.
IMO instantaneous FE is just for assistance to the driver to understand real-time how his driving techniques affect the FE. The average FE indicator is a good indicator of what FE your car is giving, but in the end nothing beats the tank to tank method.

But correct me if I'm wrong, if I get 85kmpl for most of the drive, then my actual FE should also be in that range. Doubt if it'll ever happen.

Quote:
I am yet to do some proper FE tests for mine but I tend to get around 12 KMPL only, I need to understand why its at such a low end. Agreed that I face some of the worst stop go and unpredictable traffic situations during peak hours in the entire solar system. This is with fairly light footed driving.
12kmpl is extremely low for a Tdi. Please do update - what kind of traffic are you facing? Because, even in the worst traffic scenarios I have faced in Pune & Mumbai, I have hardly gone below 14-15.

I'd suggest you to do a short FE test preferably on the highways - if you are still getting such low FE, you should take your car to the workshop asap.

I am no expert in this matter, so I won't try to provide reasons for the low FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I guess, at least this time, I am right in suggesting that this is due to coasting! Please refer to the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2396576 and the original thread. Until I came across that thread, I was in oblivion about a new concept in new generation vehicles.
@Thoma - Amit was most probably talking about instant FE; I don't think it has to do with coasting. Even while normal driving the indicator jumps up to such values. Probably as the kms increase the figures will come down.

Quote:
So its 48 hrs since I took delivery and my MID reads 275Kms (45 when I took delivery). So following are my short observations..

Worries:
  • Its very difficult to manager shifts between the 1st & 2nd gear without a violent jerk. I transitioned to moving on - from stand still - using gear 2, it works but am worried that it might not be good for the engine to start from 2nd gear always in B2B traffic. But if I move from 1 and shift to 2 I am not able to do an proper acceleration without a jerk. Coming from driving a line of petrol cars for the past 12 years its pretty embarrassing (makes me feel I am a novice). Is this regular or am I doing something wrong here. Any advise is welcome.

Join the club - even after 6.5k kms I still experience jerks while shifting the lower gears - guess this is one habit we won't be losing early enough . And even I start in 2nd gear a lot; can't help; the 1st gear is hardly of much use to me.
  • While in gears 1,2 & 3 (specially 2 & 3) pressing the clutch fully gives me some sort of odd feeling as if the clutch is moving through an uneven patch of oil. I hear a mild sound as if you wade your hand in a bucket of water. Its smooth for the other gear. Any thoughts ?

Not really sure if we are talking about the same sound, but i get a mild purring type of sound when I change the gears if I also have the other foot on the accelerator. Doesn't happen if I change gears the correct way with my other foot off the accelerator.

Niggles:
  • I really dont like the panel gaps between the doors. The jetta has a rubber beading in the gap. Its blank in the vento and makes it look like its not set in properly. I have observed this in about 12 odd vento's I looked around in the showroom
  • I hear a small hissing sound every time the car goes over a bump. I zeroed it to the air conditioning equipment. Its like as if extra air is pushed out and it makes a very very miniscule hiss.
    Deja vu. Have heard the sound quite a few times, but never observed if it came with the bumps. Will have to observe carefully
  • The engine is really loud from the outside - But hell who cares the cabin is relatively decently insulated.
  • There are some vibrations that propagate into cabin when the car is at stand still, reminds me of a Tata Sumo
  • While driving with my window open I realized that every time the car goes over a speed breaker in some speed there is some hiss that comes from the front part of the car (probably the suspension) that you traditionally hear from a bus with air-suspension (If you know what I mean). Is this common ?
    Will have to check - haven't noticed anything of that sort
  • The dealers s**k. The idiots dint activate my auto speed lock despite specific instruction.
    Most probably the SE didn't pass on the info to the engineers. Not possible for you to drive in to the workshop and get it activated? The dealer here allows it - got it clarified during my general checkups; don't need an appointment for that. Do check it up with your workshop directly.

Love:
  • Its amazing to drive & I love every aspect of the car. Period.

+100 to this!
Accessories:
  • Added 3D Maxspider mats (Rs. 5200/-). I just did it today evening and later in the day we had to put up with heavy rains. Thank goodness I dint have to worry about people dirtying the carpet with slush.
  • Going in for 3M sun filming tomorrow. Any suggestions here are welcome.
    What worked best for me is 3M RE50 for sides & back, and CR70 on the front. Btw that's in line with MH rules, I guess TN rules might vary. You could try Vkool too, but it's a tad costlier. The films are extremely effective, especially the front. Can easily see the difference in my office colleagues' cars; most of them have just films on the sides & back. Their cars feel like an oven when we enter.
  • Planning for leather seats from Stanley but that might have to wait until after next week.
Where is the ownership thread? Where are the pics? We are waiting!

Btw @SR-71/@Bala80 - possible to have a short meetup over the weekend? Put up near Mylapore. Do PM if possible.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th November 2011 at 02:54.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 08:02   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
12kmpl is extremely low for a Tdi. Please do update - what kind of traffic are you facing? Because, even in the worst traffic scenarios I have faced in Pune & Mumbai, I have hardly gone below 14-15.

I'd suggest you to do a short FE test preferably on the highways - if you are still getting such low FE, you should take your car to the workshop asap.
The less said about the traffic the better. One of these days I feel like putting my handycam on my dashboard, record my commute and mail it to Nat Geo for their unbelievable stunts documentaries . In Kolkata there is only one traffic rule, which is "there is no traffic rule". The low value of FE could be because of that, though I am yet to track the FE scientifically through a tank full to tank full method which I am doing now. I guess the true picture would emerge once I complete 3/4 cycles of this.

Before the run-in period I was able to take it on a short highway sprint and sedate driving (70-80 KMPH) gave me close to 20 KMPL. I am already talking to the service center on the engine noise issue which I believe is pretty high, once I have solid data on the FE with me, I guess I can take it up with them.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:56   #3525
BHPian

Quote:

[*]While driving with my window open I realized that every time the car goes over a speed breaker in some speed there is some hiss that comes from the front part of the car (probably the suspension) that you traditionally hear from a bus with air-suspension (If you know what I mean). Is this common ?[/list]
The same Hiss is audible in a swift, SX4, Verna etc and all the cars which have Gas filled suspensions. Chill, its okay :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks