Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 09:49   #3541
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Will also get autolock enabled while I'm there.
Hey, I think I missed reading the discussion on the autolock. Is it possible to get the autolock enabled? I presume autolock means that the car locks by itself after a pre-defined time-out period? Am really missing this feature.

Plz enlighten me!
Old 29th November 2011, 10:04   #3542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Hey, I think I missed reading the discussion on the autolock. Is it possible to get the autolock enabled? I presume autolock means that the car locks by itself after a pre-defined time-out period? Am really missing this feature.

Plz enlighten me!
I believe he's talking about the doors getting locked after you cross a minimum speed (@abhinav.Daos correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 29th November 2011, 11:02   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

P.s. Quick quiz - guess the book (now don't say Tintin!)
Hmm. Cuthbert Calculus gets kidnapped and Tintin and Captain Haddock are in hot chase. I am guessing The Seven Crystal Balls.
Old 29th November 2011, 11:09   #3544
BHPian

Quote:

Plz enlighten me!
The car locks automatically when you start driving and your speed reaches 15 KMPH and it stays locked till you have switched off the ignition. I had a pretty tough time getting it enabled through the VW service center since none of the engineers out there had even heard about the feature . A couple of FB posts later, they called me and said that VW head office have now taught them on how to enable it.

Not only that, they also enabled honking on lock and unlock of the car. Unlock the car it now honks twice, lock the car it honks once and there is a happy and proud owner of a black Vento strutting across the parking lot .

Sorry should have used multiquote.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 29th November 2011 at 11:21. Reason: back to back posts by mistake
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 11:56   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

Secondly its the first time I have heard the Vento scraping any speed breaker or bump on this forum. I also own the previous generation Zen which has scraped almost all bumps and potholes in the Mars landscaped roads of Kolkata. Compared to that, the Vento has not scraped a single bump ever till now even though both the cars were driven at the same speed.

As el lobo mentioned, might be a better idea to go a little slow on the breakers and bumps and check if it happens again. Small humps and bumps are actually eaten up without any issues by the Vento, the larger ones as with all other cars need to be handled with care
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
I'm only guessing it was a speed breaker, I am not sure what caused it.
Quote:
7000 kms, and have gone over all kinds of bumps & craters across the country, but haven't yet scrapped the bottom. Wonder what kind of monster speed braker you faced!
Vento does have a drawback of backside getting scrapped in full load. Even if someone is careful over the bumpers.
Try with 5 people and boot fully loaded, you would know what I am talking about!.

Does anyone know what is the rim width of the stock wheels in Vento HL.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 29th November 2011 at 12:10.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:34   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
The car locks automatically when you start driving and your speed reaches 15 KMPH and it stays locked till you have switched off the ignition. I had a pretty tough time getting it enabled through the VW service center since none of the engineers out there had even heard about the feature . A couple of FB posts later, they called me and said that VW head office have now taught them on how to enable it.

Not only that, they also enabled honking on lock and unlock of the car. Unlock the car it now honks twice, lock the car it honks once and there is a happy and proud owner of a black Vento strutting across the parking lot .

Sorry should have used multiquote.
Wow!! Thats exactly what I have been missing & still looking for! (both autolock & audio feedback) I had checked with the service center once about this & they had said its not possible.

I am so glad to know that it is possible . I will check with Bangalore service centers immediately & try to get it done. Meanwhile, any idea if this "knowledge" is shared with all service centers? But I hope it is just enabling some connections/wiring. And, did they charge you for this?
Old 29th November 2011, 12:51   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Vento does have a drawback of backside getting scrapped in full load. Even if someone is careful over the bumpers.
Try with 5 people and boot fully loaded, you would know what I am talking about!.
Hmm. I am yet to do such kind of load testing with it but probably will test with 4 persons and a fully loaded boot on a long road trip. In that case I will probably increase the tire pressure to 34/35 from the 32 that I maintain now. Will post the experience with it.

Quote:
Are you asking about the 15 inch alloy/steel wheels? Sorry not an expert on tires and wheels.

Quote:
Wow!! Thats exactly what I have been missing & still looking for! (both autolock & audio feedback) I had checked with the service center once about this & they had said its not possible.

I am so glad to know that it is possible. I will check with Bangalore service centers immediately & try to get it done. Meanwhile, any idea if this "knowledge" is shared with all service centers? But I hope it is just enabling some connections/wiring. And, did they charge you for this?
Blackdiesel, you are welcome. The first time around I had gotten the same response that you got which made me go and post on VW's feedback page on FB. That I guess did the trick and VW noted the feedback and got in touch with the service center. This I guess is the only way knowledge sharing happens between VW and their service centers . No I wasn't charged for this as this is a very simple ECU update. The service engineer said that there are a host of features that can be enabled like auto trunk lock, sequence of door locks, etc. I didn't want to get into too much complexities as these two features were the only ones I was looking for since I find them extremely useful . I suggest after you have had a chat with the service center and gotten another negative response, just go ahead and make an innocent sounding post asking about these features on the VW FB feedback page. It should be completed on your car the next day. Best of luck.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 13:26   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
In that case I will probably increase the tire pressure to 34/35 from the 32 that I maintain now. Will post the experience with it.
In the initial trip tire pressure was 32 in all 4 tires. Back side was scrapping quiet often.
Later on I increased the tire pressure to 34 at front and 36 at back. Still there were scrapping to an extend. According to the recommended figures (inside fuel tank flap), in normal circumstances tire pressure should be 32 in front and 29 at back and for loads, it should be 36 in front and 39 at back.

Quote:
Are you asking about the 15 inch alloy/steel wheels? Sorry not an expert on tires and wheels.
I am talking about 15inch alloy wheels. This would normally be mentioned inside the wheel.
Old 29th November 2011, 13:46   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.s. Quick quiz - guess the book (now don't say Tintin!)
Quote:
Hmm. Cuthbert Calculus gets kidnapped and Tintin and Captain Haddock are in hot chase. I am guessing The Seven Crystal Balls.
for an

"Mamma mia! Italian car, Italian driver, best in world!"

It is indeed Cuthbert Calculus getting kidnapped, but it is in the Calculus Affair.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 13:59   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
In the initial trip tire pressure was 32 in all 4 tires. Back side was scrapping quiet often.
Later on I increased the tire pressure to 34 at front and 36 at back. Still there were scrapping to an extend.
@antonichen, Is that the underside of the car that is scrapping or the mud flaps? I have done full load (five people after a heavy lunch ) with 32 psi and all that scrapes are the mudflaps. Not the underbody. And the reason I think is the OEM mudflaps are quite tall as compared to those of other cars.
Old 29th November 2011, 14:02   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
It's 6J. You can use tires upto 205 section width on these rims.

Source of the info is Vento techincal sheets posted by Wildon in VIN check thread. Hope this helps.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 16:37   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
@antonichen, Is that the underside of the car that is scrapping or the mud flaps? I have done full load (five people after a heavy lunch ) with 32 psi and all that scrapes are the mudflaps. Not the underbody. And the reason I think is the OEM mudflaps are quite tall as compared to those of other cars.
To be frank, I am not sure whether its the mud flaps or the back side . Coz, I did inspect underside several times (by bending my knees and looking underneath). Couldnt figure out where it was scrapping.

May be next time, I should take it to the service center, lift the entire car and then check out!.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:43   #3553
BHPian

Quote:
To be frank, I am not sure whether its the mud flaps or the back side . Coz, I did inspect underside several times (by bending my knees and looking underneath). Couldnt figure out where it was scrapping.

May be next time, I should take it to the service center, lift the entire car and then check out!.

I guess it might be the Tow Hook, which actually protrudes quite much at the back. Even I have experienced it scrapping a couple of times when the car is loaded and you go over some high speed breakers..

I guess it actually acts as a protection also, becuase it will scrap first before the rear bumper and it since it is solid steel it will prevent the rear bumper from scrapping..
Old 29th November 2011, 16:49   #3554
BHPian

Strut noise! That is what the technical advisor and I agreed up on.
Running on Michelin PP2s 205/55/15.

Perceived problem : Do a slow right turn with the steering wheel locked all the way and brake hard, you can hear knuckles cracking 'karacckkkk'. I perceived it to be noise from the carrier plate. No sound whatsoever otherwise (normal braking, left turns, etc.,)

Solution 1 : Clean, did not work.

Solution 2 : Replaced just the front right tyre to a stock Accelere (just to make the technical advisor understand that it was not due to the 205s) . did not work.

Solution 3 : Struts! The sudden load transfer to the strut when you brake hard at a very low speed seems to cause the problem. This was also observed on most of the ventos on the service floor.

The technical advisor told me that the issue would be highlighted to Volkswagen.

Is anybody facing similar problems?
Old 29th November 2011, 18:34   #3555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid View Post
Strut noise! That is what the technical advisor and I agreed up on.
Running on Michelin PP2s 205/55/15.

Perceived problem : Do a slow right turn with the steering wheel locked all the way and brake hard, you can hear knuckles cracking 'karacckkkk'. I perceived it to be noise from the carrier plate. No sound whatsoever otherwise (normal braking, left turns, etc.,)

Solution 1 : Clean, did not work.

Solution 2 : Replaced just the front right tyre to a stock Accelere (just to make the technical advisor understand that it was not due to the 205s) . did not work.

Solution 3 : Struts! The sudden load transfer to the strut when you brake hard at a very low speed seems to cause the problem. This was also observed on most of the ventos on the service floor.

The technical advisor told me that the issue would be highlighted to Volkswagen.

Is anybody facing similar problems?
Yes I had been facing this issue for a few months but it fixed by itself, I thought it was on all turns but now that you mention it I think it was only right turns, I just didn't notice before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks