Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 15:12   #3601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
This is exactly what I have seen with my TDI Vento. Since you too are seeing the same thing I wonder if other owners also have faced the same.

Another problem I have seen is of late that the engine is gulping down a lot of engine oil. After crossing the run-in period, I had topped up the engine oil at the service station. Just after crossing another 1000 km I see that the oil level has come down by a quarter. Is this normal or something could be wrong? Any insight into this from experts will be extremely helpful
Interesting. Surprisingly mine hasn't gone below any danger levels even after 7k kms. During both my general checkups, I insisted them to verify if the engine oils were below the minimum mark, got positive reverts both times.

Guys, correct me if I'm doing anything wrong out here, but I am waiting for the indicator to show up (for oil top-up). Or should I just go for a top-up?
Old 5th December 2011, 16:22   #3602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interesting. Surprisingly mine hasn't gone below any danger levels even after 7k kms. During both my general checkups, I insisted them to verify if the engine oils were below the minimum mark, got positive reverts both times.

Guys, correct me if I'm doing anything wrong out here, but I am waiting for the indicator to show up (for oil top-up). Or should I just go for a top-up?
I had to top up about 500-700 ml around 8k on odo. I would suggest you do another check up around 8-10k. I think waiting for indicator to show up may not be a good idea.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:54   #3603
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed my 15000 km first service and it cost me 8000/- Updated on my ownership thread. Nothing worrying to report and in fact a relief that the AT costs about the same as the TDI to maintain!
Old 5th December 2011, 17:55   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
@nileshch
No am very specific about that - To stop fueling at cut-off point. Last time when I cam from Trichy to Chennai (a GQ section) the meter reading was at 23.6 Kmpl. This time it jumped to 25Kmpl. What I did do this time around was reset the meter 10 minutes after i started (just about the same time i was exiting city traffic from Pondy and entering the highway). So the 25Kmpl is an average of the highway run alone which was done at pretty constant speed.

On a different note, my MID does drop down to 10Kmpl if its heavy bumper to bumper + standstill traffic on a complete city run.

@el_lobo
Couldn't agree more, but my engine is still in run-in period and am being cautious to keep it under 2K RPM. Once I cross the magic number I should be able to unleash the horses.
I have got 25 kmpl on pure highway stretches . The 10kmpl is common in the city. Dont worry. ( Mine has run 17500 kms in the last 11 months, btw).
My Sales guy told me there is no running in period for the Vento. However I was cautious for the first 3k keeping it around 2k RPM. The car has performance hikes once you cross the 5k and 10 K mark. The beast WILL be unleashed !!
Old 5th December 2011, 18:43   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
This is exactly what I have seen with my TDI Vento. Since you too are seeing the same thing I wonder if other owners also have faced the same.

Another problem I have seen is of late that the engine is gulping down a lot of engine oil. After crossing the run-in period, I had topped up the engine oil at the service station. Just after crossing another 1000 km I see that the oil level has come down by a quarter. Is this normal or something could be wrong? Any insight into this from experts will be extremely helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Speaking from my experience of running more than 17K , its needless to top up frequently . Do check once in a while with the dip stick, as long as its above the min level do not bother - micro management is simply not required . If the warning indicator shows up then please top up immediately , this indicator shows up much after the dipstick indicator shows min level breach.
During first service , its not a top up but the entire engine oil is drained out and then its refilled ( thats when VW uselessly changes the plug too )
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 20:01   #3606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Did anyone tried RaceChip tuning box for Vento?

I am talking about this one - Chiptuning RaceChip - Volkswagen Polo V (6R) 1.6 TDI CR, 1598ccm, 77kW (ca.105PS)
Vento itself is quite a capable car and race chip isn't necessary. The thing is we need a performance test for all the race chip in comparison to stock condition. If the difference is a mere 1~1.5 sec doesn't make big difference.
You can try Spider tuning box which is more advanced IMHO. This one is for Polo D, don't know why they have taken off Vento D page. But its exist for Vento D sure and costs around Rs. 23000. You even need to change the air filter which would cost additional Rs. 5000 for BMC air filter.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 5th December 2011 at 20:03. Reason: Typo
Old 6th December 2011, 11:52   #3607
BHPian

I am not sure about the spider tuning box but I do know that the products from chiptuning are brilliant. I see one at work in my cousins cruze. There is a pretty noticeable difference. Additionally chiptuning is widely used across the VW's in the Deutschland.

But I subscribe to el-lobo' philosophy. Given the Vento's current capability versus the state of our Indian roads I really do not see a daily use for the tune up. That is unless you plan to use her in some sort of rally or race. I did have my eyes set in the box but am not able to convince myself fully.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th December 2011 at 11:57.
Old 6th December 2011, 23:32   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Completed 2509 kms in 8 months. Here are a few thoughts.
  1. No rattles so far.
  2. Capable of delivering high performance and mileage.
  3. In city efficiency is at 14 kmpl, no idea about highway because of spirited driving on NH.
  4. Clutch has become softer or might be got used to it.
  5. No more scrapping, learn't how to tackle speedbreakers.
  6. My running may be low but car always start with single crank. Never disappointed me even it was standing idle for 1 month.
  7. Its only the engine clatter I dont like but its the turbo swoosh which I love the most.
  8. There are a few morons who love keying my car in my bldg, if I did my hands on them, that would be the last day they did be spoiling anyone's car.
  9. Maintaining Pearl Black color is difficult but taught the car cleaner how to do it but he just doesn't relents.
  10. Car is gonna have a massive detailing session coming up on 3rd week of Dec.
  11. In the end car never disappoints on power point, in first gear it jumps like a tiger ready to pounce.
  12. Never short on power overtaking is just a breeze on any car in 11 lac segment. Love smoking ANHC's the most. Who says diesel are slow.
Till then keep revving. Night is young, the road is calling and it's time to ride.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 02:03   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Well sumarized, just adding one more thing -

Always check the engine oil level during a cold start, else the level will always be less than the minimum level.

The ECU is anyways designed to alert you if the oil level goes down, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Speaking from my experience of running more than 17K , its needless to top up frequently . Do check once in a while with the dip stick, as long as its above the min level do not bother - micro management is simply not required . If the warning indicator shows up then please top up immediately , this indicator shows up much after the dipstick indicator shows min level breach.
During first service , its not a top up but the entire engine oil is drained out and then its refilled ( thats when VW uselessly changes the plug too )
Old 7th December 2011, 21:38   #3610
BHPian

Slightly OT but its still a Vento which I am talking about. So here I go...

My car got hit and the rear bumper and boot lid need to be replaced. Insurance took care of most of it -but I ended up still paying 5K from my pocket + another 3K for the damaged rear parking sensor which isn't covered under warranty.

The 5k included the VM Logo + VW/Vento lettering at the back. I have a slightly scratched VM logon + lettering for anyone who is missing theirs. Drop me a line.

My 2nd reason to drop this note is to try understand the insurance fine prints and the VW showrooms workings.
  • Rs1000 for processing
  • Rs 330 for salvage
  • Rs 2500 for depreciation on the plastic parts
  • Then the showroom charged me Rs1200 for consumables and a tad for cleaning.
I wanted to run this through you guys and confirm I'm not getting gypped here by VM and my insurer.

Last edited by bblost : 7th December 2011 at 22:57. Reason: Font tags removed. Please do not copy paste from external editors. Thanks.
Old 7th December 2011, 22:51   #3611
BHPian

Adding to this the 6 to 8 k of no claim bonus you'll lose, might it have been better not to claim insurance? What was the full bill?
Old 8th December 2011, 00:23   #3612
BHPian

Nope wouldnt have. Total bill was 22K.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:16   #3613
BHPian

People, I have a doubt. The manual says that there is a anti-theft wheel bolt to be included with the tool kit. But I do not see one with the tool kit. I checked with the showroom folks who replied that one doesn't come on for the Vento. Rather the wheel spanner will correctly fit the wheel bolts and can be used to remove the bolts. Can you guys verify this for me ?

Also it looks like recent shipments of Vento do not come with the screwdriver. My tool kit doesn't have the screw diver not the anti-theft wheel bolt. On my visit to the showroom they did show me the tool kit of couple of to-be delivered Vento's and they dint have them either.

Am not worried about the screw driver as much as am worried about the anti-theft bolt cause am not sure if its really the case where the box spanner supplied with the toolkit will do the job.
Old 10th December 2011, 03:25   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People, I have a doubt. The manual says that there is a anti-theft wheel bolt to be included with the tool kit. But I do not see one with the tool kit. I checked with the showroom folks who replied that one doesn't come on for the Vento. Rather the wheel spanner will correctly fit the wheel bolts and can be used to remove the bolts. Can you guys verify this for me ?

Also it looks like recent shipments of Vento do not come with the screwdriver. My tool kit doesn't have the screw diver not the anti-theft wheel bolt. On my visit to the showroom they did show me the tool kit of couple of to-be delivered Vento's and they dint have them either.

Am not worried about the screw driver as much as am worried about the anti-theft bolt cause am not sure if its really the case where the box spanner supplied with the toolkit will do the job.
I can confirm that my vento neither has the anti theft wheel bolt nor the screw driver
Old 10th December 2011, 07:02   #3615
BHPian

Quote:

The manual of the Vento is a global version. They have not bothered to update it to make it India specific. The global version might have an anti-theft wheel bolt coz in the Western world stealing of alloys are common. Will have to check on the screw driver in mine but even without it you should be able to replace your wheels with the supplied toolkit. I had to replace the wheel during a puncture and all I needed was the jack and the spanner. Rest assured and enjoy your Vento .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks