Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 22:44   #3631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Souravc. Seriously, you were instrumental in getting many vento owners (including me) to get down to penning the ownership report. Kudos to you my friend.
Bala, ownership reports were our bible for survival - its through reading TBHP that we survived the ordeal of dealing with VW sales guys and post that the less knowledgeable workshop guys, we came to know of so many features that we would not known otherwise . For example , I still remember how another TBHP-ian mihabre and myself had to fight tooth and nail with the workshop guys to make them believe that there is speed activated door lock feature - and I came to know it from the ownership thread of Noops
Personally I get a lot of peace of mind when I see the involved nature of Vento owners on this forum , gives me belief that if there is any problem there is a pooled resource of brains , experience , jugaad at India wide workshops to get a solution .
Old 11th December 2011, 23:27   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Dont think this is true. Registration charges is 10% for vehicles below 10 lakhs in chennai and dont think there is any proposal to increase the diesel vehicles RTO charges by 3%, atleast I havent come across any such information. Dont beleive the crap these guys dish out, by the way who is the dealer? Abra or Sundaram?

Its a different story if VW decides to increase the price of the TDI variant though.
It's Abra..., hope I would get everything on time. Any inputs about the dealer?
Old 11th December 2011, 23:45   #3633
BHPian

Hello Friends, Back again with another question. I have covered 1500Kms very recently and decided to gun the machine past the famed 1800 RPM to get a feel of the famed turbo kick in. Based on what I have been reading (note - this is my first turbo charged car) its supposed to be a experience which you feel quiet differently - something like the car suddenly taking off.

I am not sure I get that feeling in my Vento. Well post 2K RPM's the miles do clock in faster but again i feel it sets in a bit linear and not a sudden rush. I do feel a noticiable difference in my cosins Cruze where the car does seem to take after the magic RPM but in Vento I feel its a bit more subtle. Is it that my turbo is not kicking in for some reason (is that even a possibility) or am I being simply paranoid. How do i figure this out ? One quick way I can think of is have bala drive my machine and compare it to his - anything else I could do ?
Old 12th December 2011, 00:00   #3634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Hello Friends, Back again with another question. I have covered 1500Kms very recently and decided to gun the machine past the famed 1800 RPM to get a feel of the famed turbo kick in. Based on what I have been reading (note - this is my first turbo charged car) its supposed to be a experience which you feel quiet differently - something like the car suddenly taking off.

I am not sure I get that feeling in my Vento. Well post 2K RPM's the miles do clock in faster but again i feel it sets in a bit linear and not a sudden rush. I do feel a noticiable difference in my cosins Cruze where the car does seem to take after the magic RPM but in Vento I feel its a bit more subtle. Is it that my turbo is not kicking in for some reason (is that even a possibility) or am I being simply paranoid. How do i figure this out ? One quick way I can think of is have bala drive my machine and compare it to his - anything else I could do ?
If this is your first turbo charged machine , then all the more reason that you cannot miss it . Beyond 1800 rpm the turbo rush is huge and as you shift up through the gears the car just keeps on roarrrring on , if you felt it in the Cruze you will feel it even more in the Vento. Its either you are missing something ( like being timid about pressing the accelerator or maybe you are a pro drag racer ) or there is something amiss with the engine . Turbos malfunction often due to fuel quality, a couple of TBHP-ians have already experienced it.
BTW, good to know that Bala allows his car to be test driven
Old 12th December 2011, 05:34   #3635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends, Back again with another question. but in Vento I feel its a bit more subtle.
Clarification No1 - yes its a bit more subtle. Have you driven a Swift D? Even there the turbo effect feels more profound.

Clarification No2 - the subtle-ness is a good thing(IMO), especially in bumper to bumper traffic. Also, with great power comes great responsibility. Err... I meant, with great turbo boost, comes great turbo lag too. Also depends on when do you gear up, or as @sourav puts it, how much are you pushing the pedal. For me if I gear up early enough (1k-1.3k RPM), the lag as well as the boost is more profound.

Clarification No3 - you can let me drive and check too, Yes? Hoping to meet-up with you guys in the next two weeks.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th December 2011 at 05:41.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:40   #3636
BHPian

Friends,

Thanks for the reply.

One more query: please let me know what is the best Tyre size to upgrade
for my Vento HL - 195/60 R15 OR 205/60 R15?

Can anyone help me on replacing the stock 14" backup Rim/Tyre which is coming with Vento. I would like to replace that with 15" and the Dealer quoted for each Alloy as 18K.

Is there any way I could get cheaper one, OR will it be good if I buy the single 15" aftermarket RIM (guess It will be very ODD in-case of emergency usage).

Please suggest. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2011, 19:42   #3637
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ 195/60R15 is a good upgrade with some rather nice options to choose from (Michelin and Yoko for example).

205/60 is not the best upgrade, 205/55 R15 is but you may have issues finding a good tyre in that size in India.

There is a thread that you may find useful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-upgrade.html
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 21:23   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
Friends,

Thanks for the reply.

One more query: please let me know what is the best Tyre size to upgrade
for my Vento HL - 195/60 R15 OR 205/60 R15?

Can anyone help me on replacing the stock 14" backup Rim/Tyre which is coming with Vento. I would like to replace that with 15" and the Dealer quoted for each Alloy as 18K.

Is there any way I could get cheaper one, OR will it be good if I buy the single 15" aftermarket RIM (guess It will be very ODD in-case of emergency usage).

Please suggest. Thanks.
I have upgraded to 195/60 R15 Yokos C Drives , actually 3 are Yokos C drives and the front left is Michelin Primacy . While 205/55 R15 is the best upgrade but you won't get much choice in that size . Next best is 195/60 . C drive and primacy are both very good tyres with nice grip, though I think the C drives are more silent - for both the tyres I think the sidewalls are a bit suspect so one should be careful about bad roads.

You can go for after market 15" alloy for the spare but it would look odd in combination with the VW originals in the other three. I have driven around 350 km with 14" spares on hilly roads during my recent Goa trip , it does not cause that much of a problem apart from the steering dragging a bit in the direction of the spare - something that one can live with during emergencies .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 21:45   #3639
BHPian

Can canybody give me a final pricing for the Vento Trendline after discounts in Hyderabad? I did a search but did not find any info.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:36   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quite a lot actually! You can take a look at the vento delivery delays thread. Both I and SR-71 had harrowing experience dealing with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
It's Abra..., hope I would get everything on time. Any inputs about the dealer?
You are being simply paranoid. The reason that you feel the turbo kick more in Swift D or Cruze is because they have turbo lag below 2k RPM. So, once you cross this threshold, turbo spools up all of a sudden and gives you the push back effect.

Vento has minimal turbo lag and hence you wont feel the push back effect evidently. Turbo spools between 1500-1800 RPM and even before you realize this you would be in turbo zone. 2 ways you can validate this.

- Move to 2nd/3rd gear as soon as you start off and just press down the accelerator. Dont shift up and you will find the car keeps accelerating like crazy past this threshold.

- Shift up to 5th gear at around 40 kmph speed and hold down the acc pedal. It will take a long time for the car to reach turbo zone (arnd 60 kmph approx) and thereafter it will start accelerating very rapidly.

Please note in both the cases, there will not be any push back/take off effect as you find in the swift and cruze. It will be linear but very evident.

Quote:
Some intresting thing about yoko's, please refer the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2607031

I'm not happy with this characteristic though. This takes lot of fun from driving. My steering has lost all its directness now and has developed lot of play. Will not go for another set of Yoko's, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I have upgraded to 195/60 R15 Yokos C Drives , actually 3 are Yokos C drives and the front left is Michelin Primacy . While 205/55 R15 is the best upgrade but you won't get much choice in that size . Next best is 195/60 . C drive and primacy are both very good tyres with nice grip, though I think the C drives are more silent - for both the tyres I think the sidewalls are a bit suspect so one should be careful about bad roads.
Edit - Have any of you reported the sickening thud/thunk of the suspension to VW when going through a pothole at moderate speed? It feels as the suspension is simply non-existant and on the monsoon ravaged roads of chennai, I'm experiencing this almost on daily basis. I'm sure this is a common behaviour with Vento's, but need to know if there is a solution for this? Not sure if polo is demonstrating the same characteristic too.

Last edited by bala80 : 12th December 2011 at 23:46.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 00:15   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some intresting thing about yoko's, please refer the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2607031

I'm not happy with this characteristic though. This takes lot of fun from driving. My steering has lost all its directness now and has developed lot of play. Will not go for another set of Yoko's, period.
Bala I am a bit perplexed by your observations, especially play in the steering wheel. Its best that you complete your alignment as soon as possible . A positive / negative camber can reduce the contact area and also make the steering wheel light , given that the patch area for your C drives is more than stock it should not feel lighter . C drives do not boast of less rolling resistance and fuel efficiency , rather it tries to sell better grip ( more friction ) which is again completely opposite to what your steering feels. Attaching the product brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yokohama_Cdrive_brochure.15361.pdf (1.15 MB, 510 views)

Last edited by souravc : 13th December 2011 at 00:20.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 10:54   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
You are being simply paranoid.
Exatly what I wanted to hear

Quote:
- Move to 2nd/3rd gear as soon as you start off and just press down the accelerator. Dont shift up and you will find the car keeps accelerating like crazy past this threshold.

- Shift up to 5th gear at around 40 kmph speed and hold down the acc pedal. It will take a long time for the car to reach turbo zone (arnd 60 kmph approx) and thereafter it will start accelerating very rapidly.

Please note in both the cases, there will not be any push back/take off effect as you find in the swift and cruze. It will be linear but very evident.
Its the phenomena I had described in my post earlier - I dont see any push back affect. The accelartion is relatively linear but the meter does clock miles quiet rapidly above the magic RPM. Thanks bala.

Last edited by SR-71 : 13th December 2011 at 10:57.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:26   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Its the phenomena I had described in my post earlier - I dont see any push back affect. The accelartion is relatively linear but the meter does clock miles quiet rapidly above the magic RPM. Thanks bala.
I too have found the acceleration steady as others say linear, responding with almost no turbo lag in the 1st and 2nd. Almost I say because sometimes I feel that it probably could move a bit faster while below the magic RPM but maybe that's just me.
After the magic RPM it might not feel like a NASA booster rocket but its no slouch either. Given an empty stretch with lights turning green, I have seen some jaws dropping in the rear view mirrors once the magic RPM is crossed .
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 14:09   #3644
Distinguished - BHPian

Lately my AC's effect has gone down quite a bit. Earlier I used to find the ACC at 24degrees at blower speed 1 enough (for the front seats). Now even keeping it at 22degrees & blower speed 3/4 hardly matches the earlier cooling.

I guess I might have to get the AC filter checked, but any DIY workarounds here?
Old 13th December 2011, 18:31   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Even I've been facing the same problem as well. There is another issue with the suspension. When it goes over a ditch at normal speed, I could notice "thhhuuunnnnkkk" kind of sound. This was observed on all the four side at different times. Raised a complaint to VW and got a call from local service center for the check-up. I'm yet to visit & get it checked. Are you guys facing the same problem?
I find the "thhhuuunnnnkkk" okay, but the noise from the strut when I make a U turn (the "karacckkkk") as mentioned earlier gets me worried and is also annoying.
Has your issue been solved yet? Could there be a possibility of the noise coming from the tie rod?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks