Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 17:17   #3661
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Well today I went to Volkswagon Delhi South and got auto-lock enabled, apparently we can choose the speed we want it enabled at. I chose 20kmph. I also got the headlights focused as I was not happy with the throw and got a fog lamp bulb fixed, Surprisingly it was all done free of cost and and car was washed as well.

Regarding my earlier post about the window's not rolling from the key, I was told that sometimes the battery in the key runs out and it needs to be charged by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the battery mode. After that it started working..strange!
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 19:20   #3662
Distinguished - BHPian

@abhinav - that key part is quite weird - first time I heard something of that sort. Overall VW key batteries run out after a few years (depending on your usage), but first time I heard anything of that sort. Although if its true, it's quite a cool feature.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:58   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Regarding my earlier post about the window's not rolling from the key, I was told that sometimes the battery in the key runs out and it needs to be charged by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the battery mode. After that it started working..strange!
Wow..remote getting charged by the car, interesting and surprising that no one else has discovered this before. This might sound silly, does the remote/car indicate full charge?
Old 20th December 2011, 20:22   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
\Regarding my earlier post about the window's not rolling from the key, I was told that sometimes the battery in the key runs out and it needs to be charged by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the battery mode. After that it started working..strange!
What!
I don't think its true. It seems to be a false claim and nothing but a lame excuse from different cooked up stories of a SA.
The keys are powered by cells and if they drain out you need to open up the rear of flip key and just change the cell. No charging whatsoever through key hole.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:32   #3665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
@abhinav - that key part is quite weird - first time I heard something of that sort. Overall VW key batteries run out after a few years (depending on your usage), but first time I heard anything of that sort. Although if its true, it's quite a cool feature.
Actually, that seems to be standard in VAG cars. My Superb's manual recommends that I use both keys regularly to ensure that batteries stay charged.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:09   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Actually, that seems to be standard in VAG cars. My Superb's manual recommends that I use both keys regularly to ensure that batteries stay charged.
Hayek, using both the keys for limited alternate periods is standard for all cars which prolongs the total life taking into account both the keys given the selg discharge phenomenon. I doubt though the portion written in Superb's manual is related to charging , I would rather presume that its related to a pratice followed by many of us where we change the active / spare key by rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I jumped up , its weird indeed . I cannot imagine it to be true given that the battery used is a non rechargeable one. If the SAs are to be believed then each of us own a Bat mobile instead of a Vento
Old 21st December 2011, 09:49   #3667
BHPian

I might be acting unnecessarily paranoid but my Vento seems to have some extra thirst for engine oil. It just crossed the 3K kms mark and the engine oil has again reached half the level even though it was topped up at the 1.5K mark. I haven't come across this kind of a thirst in any of the ownership reviews on TBHP.
Is this natural or does it need some attention from the able hands @ the service center? The last part I say with complete sarcasm given all the absurd reasons they give most of the time. The only way to make them garner more knowledge from VW is public posts on the VW FB page .
Old 21st December 2011, 10:33   #3668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I might be acting unnecessarily paranoid but my Vento seems to have some extra thirst for engine oil. It just crossed the 3K kms mark and the engine oil has again reached half the level even though it was topped up at the 1.5K mark. I haven't come across this kind of a thirst in any of the ownership reviews on TBHP.
Is this natural or does it need some attention from the able hands @ the service center? The last part I say with complete sarcasm given all the absurd reasons they give most of the time. The only way to make them garner more knowledge from VW is public posts on the VW FB page .
Interesting. Among the refreshed Ventos, I thought the thirst for engine oil went down - mine's doing close to 7.5k, but so far my Vento seems to be a teetoatler or a safe drinker at most. Haven't had to top up at all so far. Maybe it depends on our driving styles? However I ain't the role model for a sedate driver by a long margin!

When are you checking it? Hope you are doing it when the car has been idle for the past few hours.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st December 2011 at 10:42.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:40   #3669
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't had to top up at all so far. Maybe it depends on our driving styles? However I ain't the role model for a sedate driver by a long margin!
Can't drive but sedate in this city . Driving has been limited to mostly city probably 99% of it. Is it something to do being driven around only in stop-go back to back traffic?

Quote:
When are you checking it? Hope you are doing it when the car has been idle for the past few hours.
Checked it after a long wintry night with a gap of at least 10 hours. Work keeps me so busy that I am just not getting the time to call up the service center and schedule an appointment.
Old 21st December 2011, 10:42   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What!
I don't think its true. It seems to be a false claim and nothing but a lame excuse from different cooked up stories of a SA.
The keys are powered by cells and if they drain out you need to open up the rear of flip key and just change the cell. No charging whatsoever through key hole.
Even I found that weird..but it worked. I'm guessing it probably had something to do with some code getting reset in the chip rather battery actually charging!
Old 21st December 2011, 10:57   #3671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can't drive but sedate in this city . Driving has been limited to mostly city probably 99% of it. Is it something to do being driven around only in stop-go back to back traffic?
Highly possible. Most of the initial 6k+ kms of my car have been in highways only. The last 1000kms have been largely in bumper to bumper traffic. I haven't checked the oil since then.

Other Tdi owners having had to do top-ups very early on - what was the city-highway breakup of your kms then?
Old 21st December 2011, 10:58   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here. Even my Vento TDi HL drank 0.5 lt in the first 1500 kms. Currently at 2600 kms and when it reaches 3000 kms mark would give a fair idea. Right now engine oil level is at its max since I filled it with 0.5 lt at 1600 kms.

It might be more related to driving style and even to bumper to bumper traffic. Here in Mumbai it is so and when I'm on NH I revv the engine to its redline.

Other Vento owners might bash me but it is mentioned in Vento's owner manual that it drinks 0.5 lt every 1500 kms. While my car did so initially.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:26   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well , please go by the oil level dip stick marker ( and oil level indicator lamp which glows after the dip stick min level is passed ) and enjoy your ride . My engine oil level reached min level and needed a top-up at around 5K kms so relax . TBHP seems to be making us mechanics and paranoid about our cars rather than helping us enjoy our cars
Old 21st December 2011, 12:29   #3674
BHPian

Here is what I feel about the TDI oil issue: what's the point trying to micromanage the engine oil levels in a modern car filled with electronics that beep on every problem?

I too was initially concerned when the oil level went below the C mark at 8000 kms and topped up half a liter (thanks to @evilshantanu). While it marginally increased the oil level, I stopped bothering about it soon. When I had to take the car to the workshop for a different issue, the SA said there was no need to top-up further.

The whole point of owning a self-aware car is lost worrying about all these things. Of course, basic precautions are necessary but I would not lose my sleep over the engine oil levels if there is a way the car can alert me when there is a problem.

EDIT: @sourav, just saw your post and that reflects my feelings too!
Old 21st December 2011, 13:05   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Well , please go by the oil level dip stick marker ( and oil level indicator lamp which glows after the dip stick min level is passed ) and enjoy your ride . My engine oil level reached min level and needed a top-up at around 5K kms so relax . TBHP seems to be making us mechanics and paranoid about our cars rather than helping us enjoy our cars
My engine oil level has remained fine till now, its the Vento's I am worried about . PJs apart, the Vento's engine oil reached the minimum mark at 1500 km and the service station guys topped it up. It drank most of the 1L engine oil that was purchased back then. Have booked an appointment with the service station this Friday to also have a look at the unusually loud clatter of the engine and will close this engine oil issue once and for all. Will take your advice and stop worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Here is what I feel about the TDI oil issue: what's the point trying to micromanage the engine oil levels in a modern car filled with electronics that beep on every problem?

The whole point of owning a self-aware car is lost worrying about all these things. Of course, basic precautions are necessary but I would not lose my sleep over the engine oil levels if there is a way the car can alert me when there is a problem.

EDIT: @sourav, just saw your post and that reflects my feelings too!
It does seem that the oil drinking habit of the Ventos varies a lot. We have turned into paranoid parents taking care of their new born babies now .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks