Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 08:32   #3781
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Checked out anilkalvani's thread. Also inquired with the VW guys but was told that changing the HU will result in loosing the steering mounted controls as they won't work with the new system. The sales guy even said that infact any car with steering mounted controls will loose its functionality if the HU is changed. How far is that true?
Ah thats true. anilkalvani does have a pre-refresh Vento which might change things a bit. Did you specifically check with the VW West guys and they were the ones who confirmed that the Blaupunkt NY 800 won't work with post-refresh features specifically the steering controls? I wish it had worked, it would have made the Vento simply mouth watering .

Alas if that is the way, there is no way to know. Wish it was like the Verna since some of the Verna owners on TBHP have been able to change the HU and also been able to use the steering controls with their upgraded HUs. Now that is what I call having your cake and eating it too. I always wonder what kind of brain freeze exists in the VW product design department when simple things like this would push far greater nos. of their product in the market. Simply beats me
Old 10th January 2012, 16:21   #3782
Senior - BHPian

Pre-out's are for system expansion,i.e, if you wish to connect an external amplifier and subwoofer. The stock speaker's of vento are just junk, they arent the component type speakers (with seperate mid bass and tweeters) and hence just changing the speakers will definitely make the music sound better. Component speakers can utilize the output available from the stock HU much better.

As far as your second question goes - the dealer doesnt know what he is talking about. There are seperate steering control adaptors available in the market which can be installed to continue the usage of steering control buttons. Any knowledgable installer should be able to provide this solution. There are umpteen number of threads in the ICE forum regarding this, please check. This is not a concern at all.

P.S - My car has gone to get ICE'd today. Following equipment has gone in.
HU - JVC AVX 646
Front Compos - Morel Maximos 6.5" components
Rear Fills - Morel Maximo 6.5" co-axials
Amp - Auditor, 4 channel amp, 4X150W
Subwoofer - 12" JL Audio.
Wiring Kit - Audison

Just took a look at the equipment, but dont have the specs readily, will post the detailed specs in my thread by this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Please pardon my ignorance but what are the

pre-outs for? Are they required for the amplifier? You mentioned about improvising on the speakers but with the same HU and no amps I think we have to install speakers matching the watts of the HU isn't it? And I doubt that its any good for higher wattage quality speakers.

Checked out anilkalvani's thread. Also inquired with the VW guys but was told that changing the HU will result in loosing the steering mounted controls as they won't work with the new system. The sales guy even said that infact any car with steering mounted controls will loose its functionality if the HU is changed. How far is that true?

Last edited by bala80 : 10th January 2012 at 16:24.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:28   #3783
Senior - BHPian

To day I noticed some wird sound from my turbo. It went like Tik tik tik. in a very mild amplitude.
Can other Vento owners check this as well?
How to do it-
1. Start the engine.
2. Roll down windows.
3. Get out of the car.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Listen to the turbo spinning for a few seconds after the engine is turned off. Does it make any peculiar noise.

I think it is a good idea to get it checked with VW. But I have serious doubths about their capabilities. Of course nobody is expected to have any experience.
Old 10th January 2012, 21:53   #3784
Senior - BHPian

@Oxyzen - this is new to me, however i have heard a hissing sound when driving up the ghats and windows rolled down. Few folks mentioned about it in the polo thread too and was told it is common for the TDI mill.

By any chance, are you referring to this? If my guess is right, this happens only when the ambient temperature is low, since this is the coldest season of the year, you are experiencing this behaviour?
Old 10th January 2012, 23:25   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
To day I noticed some wird sound from my turbo. It went like Tik tik tik. in a very mild amplitude.
Yes I have heard that sound - I dont think its the turbo (even i suspected the same first). It looks like the fan stopping. Try doing the experiment with your AC module completely off, it doesn't come up.

BTW my baby is still in the hospital. Interestingly it looks like there was no major damage. I was told that the bumper, the side fenders and the bonnet took the impact. As far the internal parts are concerned the radiator and the glass washer system took the impact. Everything else is apparently in order. I will give a more clearer update tomorrow after the complete opening up the entire setup and determine what needs to be fixed.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 01:28   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to do it-
1. Start the engine.
2. Roll down windows.
3. Get out of the car.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Listen to the turbo spinning for a few seconds after the engine is turned off. Does it make any peculiar noise.

I think it is a good idea to get it checked with VW. But I have serious doubths about their capabilities. Of course nobody is expected to have any experience.
Its not the turbo, its the radiator fan spinning - happens in my car too . You should not be concerned
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:24   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Having read a few posts about rusts in hinges , joints and what nots in new cars in some of the Fiesta , Linea, threads I was wondering if anyone noticed these in his / her Vento . VW gives 3 years anti - corrosion warranty , does that translate to warranty against rust too ? Can rusting be considered as a sub-set of corrosion ?
Old 11th January 2012, 16:32   #3788
BHPian

Dear Ventovians,

I have Vento TDI bought in August and have done 8.5k KM till now. Running has been fine so far without issues apart from some body scratches. The engine noise seems to have increased a bit since 7.5k KM and has a kind of knocking feeling to it. Has anyone else felt the same?

In my coleague's Vento TDI bought in September there are issues with the brakes for the couple of months. A screeching noise is heard from the brakes when the car is running. Car has been to the service center three or four times and it is not resolved yet. He observed uneven undulations in the disc and requested for a change. They did not agree and all they do is clean the brakes and return it. There is no noice for couple of days and then it surfaces again. Request has been made to VW and there is no response from them too. Has anyone else faced the same issue?
Old 11th January 2012, 16:36   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
Dear Ventovians,

I have Vento TDI bought in August and have done 8.5k KM till now. Running has been fine so far without issues apart from some body scratches. The engine noise seems to have increased a bit since 7.5k KM and has a kind of knocking feeling to it. Has anyone else felt the same?

In my coleague's Vento TDI bought in September there are issues with the brakes for the couple of months. A screeching noise is heard from the brakes when the car is running. Car has been to the service center three or four times and it is not resolved yet. He observed uneven undulations in the disc and requested for a change. They did not agree and all they do is clean the brakes and return it. There is no noice for couple of days and then it surfaces again. Request has been made to VW and there is no response from them too. Has anyone else faced the same issue?

Hey I have done 12.5K so far but no such issues. In fact in my TDI passengers (randomly) have mentioned that it does not feel like a diesel car at all. So I guess your instance might be a one off case perhaps. But I am surprised VW has not responded back.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:38   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
How to do it-
1. Start the engine.
2. Roll down windows.
3. Get out of the car.
4. Stop the engine.

Even I have heard this noise. Rather its very common in my car.
It cannot be the turbo. becuase I think the Turbo does not kick in at idle. It kicks at a specified RPM which is higher than the idle.

My guess is, it is from the Thermostat of the AC. I have seen such noises in bikes also. In bikes this noise comes from exhaust when the exhaust is cooling down. I dont think it is something you should be worried.

Quote:
Dear Ventovians,

I think you should get Oil levels checked in your car. It might be because of Oil level coming down.

As for the noise from the Friend car's brakes I am not sure. There can be many reasons:
1) Rust in brake pads.
2) Uneven tyre wear might also cause this problem but I am not sure.

Most of the times it is the Rust that causes this noise. Does this noise like stay throughout or go after the vehicle is driven for sometime??

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2012 at 15:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 20:05   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Yes I have heard that sound - I dont think its the turbo (even i suspected the same first). It looks like the fan stopping. Try doing the experiment with your AC module completely off, it doesn't come up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Its not the turbo, its the radiator fan spinning - happens in my car too . You should not be concerned
Thats a relief!
Turbo issue is a big issue.

Quote:
BTW my baby is still in the hospital. Interestingly it looks like there was no major damage. I was told that the bumper, the side fenders and the bonnet took the impact. As far the internal parts are concerned the radiator and the glass washer system took the impact. Everything else is apparently in order. I will give a more clearer update tomorrow after the complete opening up the entire setup and determine what needs to be fixed.
It would be interesting to see how much is billed for the entire event. The total amount of 1.5L is way-way too much. For that amount you can get a NANO. I sincerely hope VW is able to restore the car to its original working cond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Even I have heard this noise. Rather its very common in my car.
It cannot be the turbo. becuase I think the Turbo does not kick in at idle. It kicks at a specified RPM which is higher than the idle.

My guess is, it is from the Thermostat of the AC. I have seen such noises in bikes also. In bikes this noise comes from exhaust when the exhaust is cooling down. I dont think it is something you should be worried.
Turbos run during idling as well. However they make start producing enough boost from 1500 RPM. And that is when you fell the kick.
Exhaust cooling noise is different. It continues for a long time.
Like others said I too believe it is the fan.

Will check out during the Day time for better clarification.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 21:16   #3792
BHPian

I think I should share this over here, last morning my vento won't start, I tried it 3-4 times, checked it again thrice during the day. In the evening around 6 I called the roadside assistance and they sent someone within 30 minutes to check, though just 5 minutes before the mechanic arrived the car started. I wonder what had gone wrong? The mechanic recommended that I get the ECU checked for errors, will the entries remain in the ecu till the weekend? because I can't take it to the service center before that.

Also learnt another thing, vento can't be push started.
Old 11th January 2012, 22:07   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Sluggish acceleration can be due to dirty air filter too, getting it cleaned should improve the performance. As far as the brake issue goes, are you telling me the brake pads are rubbing against the discs when the car is in motion? How many KM's has the car done? Cant really think of any other reason than worn out brake pads.

Quote:
The engine noise seems to have increased a bit since 7.5k KM and has a kind of knocking feeling to it. Has anyone else felt the same?

In my coleague's Vento TDI bought in September there are issues with the brakes for the couple of months. A screeching noise is heard from the brakes when the car is running.
None of the modern cars can be, reason being fuel injection is controlled by the ECU. It would be mentioned in the owners manual as well. Jump start is the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Also learnt another thing, vento can't be push started.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:47   #3794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway once I get an update, I will keep you guys posted. I can only wish that I get the car in "almost" the same condition as it was before the accident; Not just cosmetically but functionally.
Dear SR - 71 , whats the feedback from the workshop ? Have they given an estimate ? Did you inquire why the air bags didn't deploy ? In some cars they don't deploy unless one is wearing seat belts but you mentioned that you and your family were wearing seat belts .
Old 11th January 2012, 23:53   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Dear SR - 71 , whats the feedback from the workshop ? Have they given an estimate ? Did you inquire why the air bags didn't deploy ? In some cars they don't deploy unless one is wearing seat belts but you mentioned that you and your family were wearing seat belts .
Passenger airbags don't deploy in any car if the seat belt is not worn, there's no such condition for deployment of driver airbag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks